Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'12 CA S/RB Shaq Thompson (Washington Verbal)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '12 CA S/RB Shaq Thompson (Washington Verbal)

Safety/RB
    Sacramento, California
    Grant

Ht:6'1"
    Wt:185 lbs
    40:4.57 secs
    GPA:3.2
    Class:2012

Rivals = *****

Offers:
    Cal
    Oregon
    UCLA
    UNLV
    USC
    Last edited by NDinL.A.; 03-12-2011, 02:59 PM.

Already being called the best player in CA next year. Cal is the early favorite

Comment

Well, our track record with just "Shaq"s hasn't been totally stellar...

Comment

We've done alright with "Ishaq"s though... :)

Comment

I hope we send him an offer

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/roUxxaRaOko" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

Grant has produced some big time talent out of Sacramento over the years. Donte Stallworth and Onterio Smith played at Grant when I was in high school. I don't know how those guys ended up at Tennessee - something funny had to of been going on.

Based on what I know of the school, I would guess that academics could be an obstacle for this kid receiving an offer. I hope Shaq proves me wrong though, because his size and speed would be great in the ND secondary.

Comment

We've done alright with "Ishaq"s though...
              That is because it starts with an "E" sound. like Erin, or dEfense.

Comment

Originally posted by 49er-Irish View Post
                Grant has produced some big time talent out of Sacramento over the years. Donte Stallworth and Onterio Smith played at Grant when I was in high school. I don't know how those guys ended up at Tennessee - something funny had to of been going on.

Based on what I know of the school, I would guess that academics could be an obstacle for this kid receiving an offer. I hope Shaq proves me wrong though, because his size and speed would be great in the ND secondary.

We of course don't know his SAT yet, but a 3.2 GPA shows he's no slouch.

We have kids in this recruiting class with much lower.

Comment

I know this isn't going to surprise anyone but Shaq committed to Cal

Comment

WHAT?!?!

This is ridiculous news. Early upset of the year?

Glad Cal got him and not USC in all seriousness. Stud!

Comment

Originally posted by DoverShores View Post
                      I know this isn't going to surprise anyone but Shaq committed to Cal
                      I thought he transferred to UCLA?

Joking. (too soon?)

EDIT*
                      Last edited by FightingIrishLover7; 03-06-2011, 06:19 PM.

Comment

His brother was an all american Corner at Cal. I wouldn't consider it the upset of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by GBdomer View Post
                          His brother was an all american Corner at Cal. I wouldn't consider it the upset of the year.
                          I was kidding. Hence the next statement:

.......... in all seriousness.

I think the whole country thought he was Cal bound. Not a suprise at all (No sarcasm this time).

Comment

Ya i read it to fast and didn't pick up on your sarcasm sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by FightingIrishLover7 View Post
                              I thought he transferred to Cal?

Joking. (too soon?)
                              Shaq Evans is at UCLA...and I don't think too many people care that much about it. He just didn't fit...it happens.

Comment

Originally posted by DillonHall View Post
                                Shaq Evans is at UCLA...and I don't think too many people care that much about it. He just didn't fit...it happens.
                                Oh shoot.. It was UCLA, i forgot. Very embarrassed.

But yeah, Evans left on good terms and is still friends with the players at ND.

Comment

Originally posted by JughedJones View Post
                                  We of course don't know his SAT yet, but a 3.2 GPA shows he's no slouch.

We have kids in this recruiting class with much lower.
                                  Go back and read his entire post. 49er appears to be talking about the academics at Grant High School not ND Admissions. Our recruit's GPA is irrelevant to his commentary.

Based on what I know of the school, I would guess that academics could be an obstacle for this kid receiving an offer.
                                  A 3.2 at one school could be a 2.1 at another.

Comment

Originally posted by FightingIrishLover7 View Post
                                    Oh shoot.. It was UCLA, i forgot. Very embarrassed.

But yeah, Evans left on good terms and is still friends with the players at ND.
                                    Haha, it's nothing to be embarrassed about.

Comment

Kid is gonna be a beast and Cal looks to be on pace for another stellar class

Comment

Well that was fast. He de-committed from Cal and is now open to everyone and will make his choice at the AA game.

Remember, 'commitment' only means 'reservation' for too many of these kids...

Scout.com: Thompson Reopens Recruitment
                                        sigpic Silence implies consent.

Comment

Originally posted by NDinL.A. View Post
                                          Well that was fast. He de-committed from Cal and is now open to everyone and will make his choice at the AA game.

Remember, 'commitment' only means 'reservation' for too many of these kids...

Scout.com: Thompson Reopens Recruitment
                                          lol he made it 5 days committed to Cal? Is that some sort of record?

Comment

Tuitt committed to Georgia Tech for about 24 hours. That is probably the record!

Comment

Originally posted by bert2834 View Post
                                              Tuitt committed to Georgia Tech for about 24 hours. That is probably the record!
                                              ahhhhh good memories :)

Anyways, this is the kind of kid I expect to end up at USC. We'll have to wait and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by bert2834 View Post
                                                That seems like a distant memory now
                                                I DON'T POST A LOT AROUND HERE...BUT WHEN I DO, IT'S USUALLY NON-VALUE ADDED.

Comment

I remember watching this kid on ESPN Rise opening weekend last year. Easily the best player on the field. Would love to land him, but it'll be a hard get with the history of Cal and the astute academic observations by other posters. No denying the kid can play though.

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                                    This is awesome. Some points:
                                                    1) Tee Shephard is turning into a great recruiter for us.
                                                    2) If a kid wants to major in business, where better than the #1 Business program in the country?
                                                    3) If a kid wants to play wr/db, what better coach to play for than, our very own, Brian Kelly?
                                                    Originally posted by koonja
                                                    I'm making peace with Woolly in 2017.

Comment

I saw this kid play on TV last year against Folsom and he looked amazing. I couldn't believe how gifted he was. I really hope that he will visit the campus and love it.

Comment

Originally posted by woolybug25 View Post
                                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                                        This is awesome. Some points:
                                                        1) Tee Shephard is turning into a great recruiter for us.
                                                        2) If a kid wants to major in business, where better than the #1 Business program in the country?
                                                        3) If a kid wants to play wr/db, what better coach to play for than, our very own, Brian Kelly?
                                                        Very, very true. Of course there are other things that are involved, but according to what he says are his main requirements, it sounds like we should have an extremely good chance with him
                                                        Dreaming of going to Notre Dame

Comment

That was a premium article, and those cannot be published here. In the future, a summary is fine, but the site can get into a lot of trouble publishing premium info word for word. Thanks...

Comment

haha I was like wth what are you people referencing in these posts. Thanks for the note NDinL.A. Can someone give a summary of what it said?

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenIsThyFame View Post
                                                              haha I was like wth what are you people referencing in these posts. Thanks for the note NDinL.A. Can someone give a summary of what it said?
                                                              Woolybug's post above pretty well describes the reasons it gave for ND to be optimistic. Going off what I remember:

Tee Shepard's presence is probably a plus for this kid; fellow Fresno native, and they've played against each other. (Friends?)

Shaq wants to major in business. ND has the #1 undergrad business school in the nation.

He wants to play both ways, as a S and a WR. Our depth chart is thin at both.

Comment

My apologies to everyone. I did not know it was a premium article. I do not have a full subscription so I thought it wasn't premium since I was able to read the whole thing.

To summarize what the article said:

-ND got in touch with Shaq to tell him that they are interested.
                                                                -Shaq said the feeling is very mutual.
                                                                -In contact with Coach Denbrock.
                                                                -Household has strong emphasis on academics.
                                                                -Wants to major in business and go somewhere with a strong business program (ND!)
                                                                -Doesn't care if the school is in state or out of state and doesn't have to play with his brother (Cal).
                                                                -looking to play both ways (WR/S)
                                                                -pretty sure of a pending visit...needs to talk with mom.
                                                                -Shaq and Tee have competed against each other in camps and seem to talk

Comment

Not your fault, sometimes those articles get leaked before they put the premium stamp on it.

Comment

Thanks for the update. The kid is an absolute beast. Is the reason he doesn't have more offers because it was assumed he would stay in state or go to Cal? I find it shocking that he is the #10 recruit in the country and has only 5 offers.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenIsThyFame View Post
                                                                      Thanks for the update. The kid is an absolute beast. Is the reason he doesn't have more offers because it was assumed he would stay in state or go to Cal? I find it shocking that he is the #10 recruit in the country and has only 5 offers.
                                                                      "USC, Notre Dame, Tennessee, Auburn, Florida, Boise State, UCLA, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, Arizona, Arizona State, Washington, Washington State, Utah and Colorado were among his other scholarship offers."

Still not the biggest list from a top 10 player but my only guess is because he committed back in March and thought he was a lock for Cal. See the majority of the offers are west..Pac-12 and all. I'm sure teams are starting to show more interest.

Comment

Originally posted by beryirish View Post
                                                                        "USC, Notre Dame, Tennessee, Auburn, Florida, Boise State, UCLA, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, Arizona, Arizona State, Washington, Washington State, Utah and Colorado were among his other scholarship offers."

Still not the biggest list from a top 10 player but my only guess is because he committed back in March and thought he was a lock for Cal. See the majority of the offers are west..Pac-12 and all. I'm sure teams are starting to show more interest.
                                                                        Gotcha. Rivals only listed him with 5 offers so I was confused.

Comment

I played ball with Shaq for a couple years during our pop warner days, back when he went by his mom's maiden name and was known as Shaq Green. He has a nose for the ball, always has, even in grade school you could tell Syd had been working with him because his angles, transition and first step are top notch. I may go to the University of Oregon, but I would love to see him as a Fighting Irish and reppin the gold and blue. If we get Shaq we also get a pipeline into Grant, which is HUGE!
                                                                          Conquest, War, Famine and Death

Comment

From Stanford's Nike Camp, under "Weekend's Best":

Thompson, a five-star prospect, looks great physically. He’s got size, he can run, he can turn and run, change directions, you name it. The thing that’s going to be interesting with him is finding a position. Is he a safety or is he almost too big to play back there? He’s a great high school running back, but doesn’t project there at this point. Regardless, he’s an elite athlete and one of the best overall prospects in the country. He was committed to Cal and the Golden Bears still have the inside track to land him. Thompson did not take many reps in one-on-ones, but when we saw him, it was evident he had good ball skills and instincts as a defensive back.
                                                                            This post brought to you by the IE 2013 Fantasy Football, Fantasy Basketball, and Fantasy Baseball Champion. (Congrats to Junkhead for the 2013 College Fantasy Football Championship).

Comment

• #39
                                                                              I hope we start hearing a lot more out of this guy.
                                                                              "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

• #40
                                                                                you will, but it probably will not be about us.
                                                                                Love You JB 64.....RIP.....AI720....4EVER

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  Originally posted by rtrn2glory View Post
                                                                                  you will, but it probably will not be about us.
                                                                                  I think we have a fighting chance with this guy...I wouldn't write ND out of this

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    Originally posted by beryirish View Post
                                                                                    I think we have a fighting chance with this guy...I wouldn't write ND out of this
                                                                                    hope that you are right, but i think that i am...no offense.
                                                                                    Love You JB 64.....RIP.....AI720....4EVER

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      Told ESPN at the Palo Alto came that the five schools he is mainly looking at are Cal, Washington, UCLA, USC, and Oregon. Is looking to taking both unofficial visits this summer and official visits in the fall before making his decision (again).
                                                                                      This post brought to you by the IE 2013 Fantasy Football, Fantasy Basketball, and Fantasy Baseball Champion. (Congrats to Junkhead for the 2013 College Fantasy Football Championship).

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        Not looking good for us, but then again it was never looking good for us. Always a long, long shot though, to be fair.

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          I live in Sacramento, and I'm from Del Paso Heights (that's the part of Sacramento where Grant High School is located) and I've seen Shaq play many times. He is definately a great talent and I would love to have him at ND. I think he's a lock for DB, his brother Syd'Quan Thompson was a CB at Cal, and was really good but Shaq, I can almost guarentee will be better.

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            Its June everyone needs to take a chill pill.

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              Time flies when you're having fun.
                                                                                              Originally posted by koonja
                                                                                              I'm making peace with Woolly in 2017.

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                Who in this thread is overreacting???

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  Originally posted by NDinL.A. View Post
                                                                                                  Who in this thread is overreacting???

Agreed, seems to be one of the most rational threads on here.

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    offered

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X