Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'12 CA DT/DE Arik Armstead (Oregon Verbal)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '12 CA DT/DE Arik Armstead (Oregon Verbal)

Defensive tackle
    Elk Grove, California
    Pleasant Grove

Ht: 6'7"
    Wt: 280 lbs
    40: 5.6 secs

Rankings:
    24/7: Overall #1
    Rivals: Overall #29, DE #4
    ESPN: Overall #15, OT #2
    Scout: Overall #1

Offers:
    Alabama
    Arizona
    Arizona St
    Arkansas
    Cal
    Fresno St
    Nevada
    Notre Dame
    Oregon St
    Tennessee
    Washington
    Washington St
    Last edited by Ironman8; 01-07-2012, 10:18 PM.

Potential 5 star prospect
    Verballed to USC early on but is starting to waiver

Comment

Come to ND then son. We'll make a hoss out of your gigantic abilities.

Comment

Gators in the mix now.

Prep Blog: Pleasant Grove lineman Armstead receives another major scholarship offer

Pleasant Grove lineman Armstead receives another major scholarship offer

Arik Armstead is only a junior, but he's firm on the radar of national football recruiting radars.

The 6-foot-7, 270-pound Pleasant Grove High School two-way lineman was offered a scholarship this week by Florida. Last week it was Alabama. The week before it was Notre Dame. Over the summer it was USC.

Here's why: The kid can dominate, he's athletic, powerful, instinctive, a superb student, a quality young man with tremendous upside.

In other words, a major coup for the team that lands him.

I have seen him take charge on the offensive line, chase down quarterbacks, block punts. His teammates love him, his coaches enjoy working with him, his teachers appreciate his leadership and academic focus.

And to think that his best sport might just be basketball. Scary.
        I heard it from a reliable source.

Comment

Florida must have 20 DLs already.
          2013 IE College Fantasy Football Champion

Comment

Originally posted by Junkhead View Post
            Florida must have 20 DLs already.
            Yeah they do have a ton of DL for sure. Last I heard too, they were having a few issues with players whining about playing time and all if I recall correctly. So much talent down there and it would be very hard to get any quality playing time.

Comment

Yea i saw that too.
              Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

Is defesive lineman Armond Armstead from USC a relative of Arik ? cause if so, what do they feed these boyz these days !! geeeezzzz Armond (20) 6'5 295 ~ Arik (17) 6'7 280 !! I was just thinking they might be brothers or cousins or something like that since Arik is a soft USC verbal, he might want to play with family on the team.
                Last edited by JKhrome1ND; 11-05-2010, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Yes. ESPN reported they are related. Brothers I believe.

Comment

Very tough get, but it is still very very early.

He has taken multiple trips to USC already and his loves the idea of playing with his brother. He has been to a handful of him brothers games and loves the campus and LA area.

Hopefully we can have a decent defense and record next year, otherwise I don't see us getting him.

Comment

Originally posted by JKhrome1ND View Post
                      Is defesive lineman Armond Armstead from USC a relative of Arik ? cause if so, what do they feed these boyz these days !! geeeezzzz Armond (20) 6'5 295 ~ Arik (17) 6'7 280 !! I was just thinking they might be brothers or cousins or something like that since Arik is a soft USC verbal, he might want to play with family on the team.
                      what about jessie armstead that played for the canes way back in the day they related to him?

Comment

Originally posted by mick2 View Post
                        what about jessie armstead that played for the canes way back in the day they related to him?
                        that's funny cause that's who i thought of first too, Jesse is way older like in his early 40's, i don't think he was from California though, i think he was from Texas. But yeah i know that doesn't rule them out of being family so i guess there is a chance they are related.

Oh i found this too ....... it's from earlier in the year, so who knows, i know there is definitely time for him to de-commint from USC, im just posting what i read.

USC football: Arik Armstead commits to Trojans despite NCAA sanctions
                        June 19, 2010 | 6:12 pm
                        Well, so much for that anticipated chilling effect on USC recruiting.

USCFootball.com reports that the Trojans have received a verbal commitment from Arik Armstead, a 6-foot-7, 270-pound two-sport standout from Elk Grove, Calif.,who is the brother of USC defensive lineman Armond Amstead.

Arik Armstead is a member of the class of 2012. He plans to play football and basketball for the Trojans.

The news comes less than two weeks after the NCAA hit USC with major sanctions that include a two-year bowl ban and the loss of 30 scholarships over three years. The school has said it will appeal the penalties.

"It's unfortunate my brother and his teammates are getting penalized for something they had nothing to do with," Armstead told USCfootball.com. "I have no worries, though. Hopefully in two years, none of that will affect me."

-- Gary Klein

Comment

Too funny. If this happens I will laugh my *** off.

Ballin' is a Habit: Nation's No. 1 recruit looking at Nevada?

Comment

Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                            Too funny. If this happens I will laugh my *** off.

Ballin' is a Habit: Nation's No. 1 recruit looking at Nevada?
                            LMAO.

Seems like they (Nevada) have a decent shot.
                            "The good lord put eyes in front of your head rather than in back so you can see where you're going rather than where you've been." Lou Holtz

Comment

From ESPN:
                              USC commit checking out Nevada

Thanks to our colleagues at CBB Rumor Central for pointing out this story on SilverandBlueSports.com: ESPNU 150 Watch List OT Arik Armstead, the nation's top prospect according to Scout.com and 247Sports.com, claims that he will take a visit to Nevada in the coming weeks to check out the Wolf Pack's basketball program.

We expect, however, that Armstead is only doing this as a favor to Nevada coach David Carter, who is a good friend of Armstead's father. (Carter apparently also gave Armstead his first offer for basketball.) Armstead has already said that he plans to play both football and basketball at USC (his brother, Armond, is a senior DL for the Trojans). Moreover, when Arik committed to USC in June 2010, Guss Armstead totally backed his son's decision; would Papa Armstead suddenly steer Arik to a family friend?

This is a nice p.r. bump for Nevada's basketball team, but USC fans shouldn't worry.

- Albert Lin
                              I do not like Brian Kelly as a coach.

Comment

Get Brey and Kelly to tag team this kid.

As long as USC doesn't get him, I will chortle.

Comment

The news comes less than two weeks after the NCAA hit USC with major sanctions that include a two-year bowl ban and the loss of 30 scholarships over three years. The school has said it will appeal the penalties.

"It's unfortunate my brother and his teammates are getting penalized for something they had nothing to do with," Armstead told USCfootball.com. "I have no worries, though. Hopefully in two years, none of that will affect me."

-- Gary Klein[/QUOTE]

It will affect him for all 4-5 years at U$C. 10 scholarships per year will decrease the talent pool at USC for at least 5 years. And that is only if the Condoms can stay "clean" for that time period. They should have received the "Death" penalty.

Comment

And that is only if the Condoms can stay "clean" for that time period. They should have received the "Death" penalty.
                                    What's the point of a condom if it stays clean?
                                    Last edited by NDinNV; 05-25-2011, 08:02 PM. Reason: quote issues
                                    Just cover, baby

Comment

[QUOTE=NDinNV;492450]What's the point of a condom if it stays clean?[/QUOTE]

There's some wisdom to that!
                                      Admit it. You looked at the avatar first.

Comment

@ISD Update: "Arik Armstead Eyes Irish Visit (Premium) http://t.co/DnEaTgG"

Comment

ISD Premium

http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recr...all-recruiting

Anyone who could summarize?

Looks like he could visit since ND is being serious about him playing football and basketball
                                          I DON'T POST A LOT AROUND HERE...BUT WHEN I DO, IT'S USUALLY NON-VALUE ADDED.

Comment

He is going to end up at USC. Just wants some free official visits.

Comment

Originally posted by Rizzophil View Post
                                              He is going to end up at USC. Just wants some free official visits.
                                              Not an OV. Coming next month on his own while in Indiana for Bball. Plays on same AAU team as Gabe York (ND Basketball target w/ offer). Will talk with both Football and Basketball staffs.
                                              This post brought to you by the IE 2013 Fantasy Football, Fantasy Basketball, and Fantasy Baseball Champion. (Congrats to Junkhead for the 2013 College Fantasy Football Championship).

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman8 View Post
                                                Not an OV. Coming next month on his own while in Indiana for Bball. Plays on same AAU team as Gabe York (ND Basketball target w/ offer). Will talk with both Football and Basketball staffs.
                                                Having Golson playing both sports can't hurt our chances.

Comment

I believe there has been talk of D. Daniels trying out for the basketball team as well...

oohhh nooo!!!
                                                  "im just letting you know. my squad gonna be great no matter what is being said." -Lou Nix III

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Irish Family View Post
                                                    I believe there has been talk of D. Daniels trying out for the basketball team as well...

oohhh nooo!!!
                                                    hehe ^this

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Irish Family View Post

oohhh nooo!!!
                                                      wow.

Daniels - Golson - Armstead

That's a pretty good basketball lineup in terms of athletic ability and power - don't know how good they are skill wise.

Don't forget Banner who I think is in the same boat as Armstead in both sports
                                                      I DON'T POST A LOT AROUND HERE...BUT WHEN I DO, IT'S USUALLY NON-VALUE ADDED.

Comment

Originally posted by beryirish View Post
                                                        wow.

That's a pretty good basketball lineup in terms of athletic ability and power - don't know how good they are skill wise.

Add Tuitt and Lynch to that lineup and anyone who drives the lane against us is going to be in a world of hurt.
                                                        I do not like Brian Kelly as a coach.

Comment

Originally posted by beryirish View Post
                                                          wow.

Imagine that as a Bookstore team.

Team "Oh Nooo!"

Comment

I noticed on twitter that ISD has an update on Arik's potential visit this week...
                                                            Anyone care to summarize for us non paying customers...?

Thanks!
                                                            We learned more from a three-minute record, than we ever learned in school...

Comment

Originally posted by TheFlyingAlamo View Post
                                                              I noticed on twitter that ISD has an update on Arik's potential visit this week...

Thanks!
                                                              Oxymoron? lol
                                                              "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

Dad had issues and couldn't make the trip... so now he has no ride to South Bend from Indy while playing in his AAU tournament. Arik and family insist they have legit interest in ND and are going to try to visit at some point... maybe OV for the USC game.

Basketball is going to be a HUGE factor here. Having the national Coach of the Year can only help us... and help us a lot.

If that's too much sharing, someone please edit out. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFlyingAlamo View Post

Thanks!
                                                                  The Department of Redundancy Department approves of this message.

Comment

Originally posted by BeauBenken View Post
                                                                    Oxymoron? lol
                                                                    It was intentional. It's part of my charm.
                                                                    We learned more from a three-minute record, than we ever learned in school...

Comment

Originally posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
                                                                      The Department of Redundancy Department approves of this message.
                                                                      You know the economy is bad when "non-paying" and "customer" become redundant.

Comment

Originally posted by Domina Nostra View Post
                                                                        You know the economy is bad when "non-paying" and "customer" become redundant.
                                                                        Touche. I'm not sure why, but after reading Beau's post, I was certain that it wasn't an oxymoron, but merely a redundant phrase.

Turns out I just fail. Time for bed.

Comment

Originally posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
                                                                          Turns out I just fail. Time for bed.
                                                                          Since your post shows 1:14 AM (CDT), I will say both "good morning" and "nighty-night."

Comment

ISD Freebie

Recruiting Week In Review

Joe Bradshaw July 8

Arik Armstead, DE, 6-6, 275, Pleasant Grove High School, Elk Grove, CA is currently a verbal commit to USC but he is still trying to sort through the recruiting process. Specifically, he is trying to determine which schools are being truthful with him and which ones aren’t. The issue of truthfulness surrounds Armstead’s desire to play basketball as well as football at the next level. He is rated as a high three-star recruit in basketball.

“The people who are seriously recruiting me for basketball and football are going to have the highest chance,” Armstead said. “I’m trying to figure out which ones are serious or not.”

Notre Dame definitely seems serious about allowing Armstead to do both.

“I’ve been talking to coach (Mike) Denbrock on Facebook and stuff,” said the talented Californian. “He said he’s been talking to the basketball program and my AAU coach went up there and talked to them too.”

Armstead was hoping to make a trip to South Bend after an AAU basketball tournament in Indianapolis this weekend, but his father wasn’t able to come with him and he’ll have to wait until official-visit season to see Notre Dame up close.

Armstead’s brother Armond currently plays defensive line for USC and his parents were in South Bend for the 2009 Notre Dame-USC game.

“They said Notre Dame is real nice and it’s very historic and that’s what they liked about it,” explained Armstead. “I’m just trying to get a good feel of the campus and getting a better relationship with the coaching staff. Every place is going to have a beautiful campus.”

Comment

• #39
                                                                              What would we be recruiting him as? I know ESPN has him at OT and he is listed here as a DT or DE.

Comment

• #40
                                                                                Originally posted by IHateMarkMay View Post
                                                                                What would we be recruiting him as? I know ESPN has him at OT and he is listed here as a DT or DE.
                                                                                Scout has him as #1 OT, Rivals #3 SDE. What a dilemna to have?

Seems to fit Kelly's versatile, Big Athlete type. We still can use a premier OT but I'd be happy to have to worry about where to play him after he's Irish.

Although he is a basketball player, his 5.2 40 and 4.93 shuttle don't strike me as fast times for DE. Get 'em on board and work it out.

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  Originally posted by BGIF View Post
                                                                                  Scout has him as #1 OT, Rivals #3 SDE. What a dilemna to have?

Seems to fit Kelly's versatile, Big Athlete type. We still can use a premier OT but I'd be happy to have to worry about where to play him after he's Irish.

Although he is a basketball player, his 5.2 40 and 4.93 shuttle don't strike me as fast times for DE. Get 'em on board and work it out.
                                                                                  Maybe a SDE? Although I think we already have a great shot at one with Jones.
                                                                                  sigpic

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    I have a good feeling about this kid.

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      At 6.6' im not sure how this would work but 275 as a JR, could he be a NT? Longo could have him as a beast in the middle running around at 310. Traditionally 6.2' - 6.4' is more of the typical height correct?
                                                                                      When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. - Max McGee

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        Top Prospect Has Top 8

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          As Arik intends to play basketball it would probably be hard for him to tack on the poundage for an interior line position. As for his 40 and shuttle times, I think these probably underestimate his mobility if we're talking about a very good high school basketball player.
                                                                                          Last edited by Pops Freshenmeyer; 08-08-2011, 03:35 PM.

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            So he has a top 8 and plans on narrowing it down to 5 while taking all of his OVs? Doesn't sound like a commited player to me.
                                                                                            .....Before I Get Out

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              I'd still say its highly unlikely we get him based on the fact he has a brother on USC's team.

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                Odds are better than you think.

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  Originally posted by IHateMarkMay View Post
                                                                                                  Assuming we get Jones, I'd say OT. I'm not sure he has the speed to play as a DE. Of course, I just say get him to commit and ask questions later, guy has too much talent.

I'd love to steal him from U$C! :mob:

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    Originally posted by TerryTate View Post
                                                                                                    Odds are better than you think.
                                                                                                    They are better than he thinks, you're right, but I don't see him going anywhere, unless USC has a bad season. That is a MUST. If they go 9-3 or better, forget about him. This is a contingency plan for him. He loves USC - says it all the time. But it's obvious he wants an escape clause in case Kiffin is as bad as we all know he is.

I don't see him being Irish personally, unless our team makes it 'cool' to be Irish again...and that means kicking some major azz this year, with our basketball team showing him a lot of love as well. Gotta put in some major work to get this kid, and even then I'm skeptical. Hope you're right TT...
                                                                                                    sigpic Silence implies consent.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X