Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'12 IN QB Gunner Kiel (Cincinnati Transfer)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '12 IN QB Gunner Kiel (Cincinnati Transfer)

Pro-style Quarterback
    Columbus, IN Columbus East

Ht: 6-4
    Wt: 200

STATS
    '09: Passing 68% Comp %, 2200 yards, 25 TDs; Rushing 400 yards, 5 TDs.
    '10: Passing 67% Comp %, 2645 yards, 36 TDs

RANKING
    24/7 Sports: 98 rating (out of a possible 110) 247Sports Football Recruiting Rankings Explained
    ESPN: N/A
    Rivals: N/A
    Scout: #1 QB #17 Overall Prospect

OFFERS
    Alabama
    Cincinnati
    Colorado
    Georgia
    Illinois
    Indiana
    Iowa
    Michigan
    Missouri
    Nebraska
    Northwestern
    Notre Dame
    Oklahoma
    Oregon
    Purdue
    TCU
    Tennessee
    UCLA
    USC
    Wisconsin

ND RECRUITER: Tim Hinton & Charlie Molnar

DECISION SCHEDULE:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dfc9oZRNPfQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1fROvC0LfRA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Last edited by Ironman8; 10-23-2011, 05:45 PM. Reason: Updated profile
    "If you're afraid of competition, maybe you shouldn't come to Notre Dame." -Brian Kelly

I didn't see a thread up for him, so I made one.

He's the nephew of former Notre Dame QB Blair Kiel.

Camped with several schools this summer, including Notre Dame.
    "If you're afraid of competition, maybe you shouldn't come to Notre Dame." -Brian Kelly

Comment

Well if I fell in love with QBs based on name alone, this guy would be at the top of the list.

Comment

IMO I think we land Gunner and Crow. No facts to back this up and no inside sources. Just going on opinion.

Comment

Gunner is a player...

Very big kid, excellent footwork. Throwing motion is super. Been reading up on him and watching videos, the kid throws bullets... The offence he runs is identical to coach's spread offense.

He went to 8-10 camps around the country this summer. Look at the offers he has already! His 7 on 7 performances yielded how many offers? Like 7 or 8? I read the SEC likes him too..

His brothers play ball- both quarterbacks, one at Illinois State and the other at Indiana U. Will be fun to watch his progress....

Comment

Gunner's uncle is former ND quarterback Blair Kiel.

Comment

Does anyone have a video of him?

Comment

Nothing on a google search. Rivals has 2 highlight videos of him though. Throws a nice ball. Looks like he's built pretty solid. Kelly will give this in-state prospect a good look.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish Man3 View Post
                  IMO I think we land Gunner and Crow. No facts to back this up and no inside sources. Just going on opinion.
                  There is no way we land both those QBs. Both will probably be in the top 20.

Comment

Let me look. I am sure I can find the videos I have seen. He displayed incredible ability to thread the needle on 35 yard deep routes with defenders all around the receivers. I mean these were on a rope! He did it time, and time again in several games. The other things I noticed were the following :
                    -The coaches give him the controls to change plays, obviously reading defenses in incredible fashion.
                    -He reminds me of Peyton Manning when audibling, throwing off defenses, and really messing up the defense.
                    -He makes great decisions and does not force the football.

I will try to find these videos to post for you all to see.

Comment

and you are...

Comment

Originally posted by TerryTate View Post
                        Nothing on a google search. Rivals has 2 highlight videos of him though. Throws a nice ball. Looks like he's built pretty solid. Kelly will give this in-state prospect a good look.
                        I think I had found a couple of games highlight videos which were TEAM highlights and an Elite 11 video which showed some nice stuff of him for about 30 or 40 seconds in a 9 minute video. I didn't bother linking them. I suspect better stuff will turn up shortly.

Comment

Originally posted by perviouspk View Post
                          Let me look. I am sure I can find the videos I have seen. He displayed incredible ability to thread the needle on 35 yard deep routes with defenders all around the receivers. I mean these were on a rope! He did it time, and time again in several games. The other things I noticed were the following :
                          -The coaches give him the controls to change plays, obviously reading defenses in incredible fashion.
                          -He reminds me of Peyton Manning when audibling, throwing off defenses, and really messing up the defense.
                          -He makes great decisions and does not force the football.

I will try to find these videos to post for you all to see.
                          Peyton Manning? Damn, get that scholarship offer out! I'm sorry man, not trying to give you too much shit, but the only thing you've posted on was this kid. There is nothing wrong with that, but I, personally, see some kind of agenda or something, which makes me question your motives. I'm sure the kid is a great football player, but Peyton Manning? That's an incredible comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by mgriff View Post
                            Peyton Manning? Damn, get that scholarship offer out! I'm sorry man, not trying to give you too much shit, but the only thing you've posted on was this kid. There is nothing wrong with that, but I, personally, see some kind of agenda or something, which makes me question your motives. I'm sure the kid is a great football player, but Peyton Manning? That's an incredible comparison.
                            One of the videos I decided not to post was Kiel meeting Manning at a game or camp. It was with an TV interviewer (Vol guy) who asked about him meeting Manning. There's a still photo of Manning with Kiel standing slightly behind him. Kiel looked half a head shorter which might have just been the photo prospective.

Comment

Originally posted by BGIF View Post
                              One of the videos I decided not to post was Kiel meeting Manning at a game or camp. It was with an TV interviewer (Vol guy) who asked about him meeting Manning. There's a still photo of Manning with Kiel standing slightly behind him. Kiel looked half a head shorter which might have just been the photo prospective.
                              Haha. I see what you did there, making the physical comparison.

Comment

ISD has an awesome premium article on Gunner.
                                http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/recr...re-dame-offer-

He speaks about how much tradition means to him along with his education. He also talks about how his family wants him to stay close and how he has developed a good relationship with the Irish coaching staff.
                                All signs as positive coming out of this article for Gunner.

Comment

Some video posted a few days ago of him from this season.

YouTube - Gunner Kiel Highlights

Comment

Cant go wrong with him ;)
                                    "In this room, we win. Out there, they get a chance to feel it." -Brian Kelly

Comment

good looking kid

Comment

That is a very short quick strong throwing motion, I'll bet Uncle Blair had something to do with that stroke. Looks like a big guy and that area of Ind is good football. I never pay much attention to these highlight films but he gets your attention. Ran over a guy at the goal line too. Nice stuff Gunner.
                                        Project ahead when you think of what university you want to bring your family to as an alum. If it isnt Notre Dame then you should go to another school-from a subway alumni

Comment

Looks great to me, I like his quick release and how he scans the field.

Comment

He's got some good athletes around him at East... and he looked good when I broke down film of them and CN this year.

Comment

So out of Keil, Crow, and Mauk which one is the most high profile, not by which you think is best because everyone has their opinion, but which one is getting the most attention and hype.
                                              .....Before I Get Out

Comment

Originally posted by phillyirish View Post
                                                So out of Keil, Crow, and Mauk which one is the most high profile, not by which you think is best because everyone has their opinion, but which one is getting the most attention and hype.
                                                As of right now....Gunner Keil.

Comment

Looks like he got an offer

Comment

68% comp rate thats not bad at all.
                                                    Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

Originally posted by irishff1014 View Post
                                                      68% comp rate thats not bad at all.
                                                      It's decent.

Joking, its spectacular especially considering HS WR usually have inconsistent route running abilities and drop passes more often the College level WRs.

I'd love to get Gunner and Gehrig.

Two Indiana boys, here's to hoping.

Comment

I can just see the headlines 4 years from now.
                                                        "Gunner Kiel to Gehrig, Luftwaffe at ND"

Comment

Gunner Kiel is quite the name. Great QB name right up there with Boomer Esiason and Joe Montana (from a name perspective).

Comment

YouTube - Gunner Kiel Highlights

nice highlight video. Reminds me of Hendrix except he is a better passer.

Comment

Got a legacy connection:

Gunner's uncle, Blair, is a former Notre Dame quarterback

Comment

Rated one of the first 5*s by 247 Sports, the rating group that CNNSI uses. There is an article up on the CNNSI website.

Comment

Just got offered by USC and a host of others.
                                                                  sigpic Silence implies consent.

Comment

It would be nice to keep him close to home.

Comment

I'm just glad he's not in Conference Indiana. I don't want to play him.

Comment

Irishsportsdaily has a insider article about a big prospect from the class of 2012 visiting this friday with a picture of Gunner Kiel attached to it. I don't know if this is just a rumor or confirmed, or if it's eve Kiel who is visiting. But from the looks of the article, he might be on campus this weekend

Comment

If we were to pull one quarterback in this cycle (that we have a legit chance with) I would like it to be Gunner Kiel. I like him over Maty Mauk but that's just my personal opinion. Plus his name is Gunner, how bad *** is that for a quarterback's name? Thats like the safety we are recruiting named Bam. It just fits.

In all seriousness, he's a local kid that I would like to keep around. High ceiling.

Comment

If we were to pull one quarterback in this cycle (that we have a legit chance with) I would like it to be Gunner Kiel. I like him over Maty Mauk but that's just my personal opinion. Plus his name is Gunner, how bad *** is that for a quarterback's name? Thats like the safety we are recruiting named Bam. It just fits.

In all seriousness, he's a local kid that I would like to keep around. High ceiling.
                                                                            Agreed, but Maty Mauk is also a sweet name. Not quite as awesome as back up lacrosse goalie Colt Power though.

Comment

• #39

I agree with you on Kiel over Mauk but what ever happened to Cyler Miles? I thought he had amazing measurables and he was the best qb at the underclassmen combine. I know this is kiel's thread but why is Miles never mentioned? Do we have no chance with him?
                                                                              Dreaming of going to Notre Dame

Comment

• #40
                                                                                An elite athlete hasn't had the name "Gunner" since D2 Mighty Ducks. Remeber the jacked up stud from Iceland? Gunner Stahl.

90's were awesome growing up
                                                                                The yellow mustard pants are hideous and have to go.

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  isn't he a pro-style QB? would he fit kelly's offense?

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    Originally posted by ClevelandRocks13 View Post
                                                                                    isn't he a pro-style QB? would he fit kelly's offense?
                                                                                    Obviously he fits the offense if he has an offer. Kelly has won with and without mobile QBs... mostly without. This guy is a lock 4*/5* prospect with great size and strength and doesn't move all that slow.

Really interested to see how he performs in his senior season... doesn't really look as Golson on tape zipping the ball down the field.

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                                                                                      Agreed, but Maty Mauk is also a sweet name. Not quite as awesome as back up lacrosse goalie Colt Power though.
                                                                                      Coolest name ever? Max Fighmaster.
                                                                                      sigpic

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        Originally posted by IrishInFL View Post
                                                                                        Coolest name ever? Max Fighmaster.
                                                                                        No, that belongs to Willy Pfisterbottom.

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          Love the way this kid takes the ball on the option read. Especially for a kid his size he can really take off with quick feet and get down field in a hurry.

He's obviously probably not as talented, but his game reminds me a lot of Cam Newton. Big, tall, strong armed QB who can keep the ball and make you pay on the ground too.

Sometimes I don't understand how these kids are labeled pro or spread or dual-threat QB's.

It looks like Kiel runs enough spread in high school, but he's labeled a pro-style.

Mauk doesn't even have a running back in his offense and runs around like a mad man, and he's a pro-style QB too?

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            Originally posted by Rocket89 View Post

Sometimes I don't understand how these kids are labeled pro or spread or dual-threat QB's.

It looks like Kiel runs enough spread in high school, but he's labeled a pro-style.

Mauk doesn't even have a running back in his offense and runs around like a mad man, and he's a pro-style QB too?
                                                                                            It's mostly just a race thing. Kidding... sort of.

In all honesty, it seems that white quarterbacks are rarely labeled as dual threat, much as white running backs are very rarely highly rated. This isn't a complaint, merely an observation.

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              Another observation...
                                                                                              I volunteered as a track and field coach for a couple of summers in a town that was maybe 95% more or less white skinned (mulato definition depended on field success...). The track club, all ages was maybe 35% black.

Saw Blair Kiel against GA on ESPN classic, then saw some sort of something on TV maybe a bit later in his career. I know he was injured late in his career, but he had a gun of an arm. Quick feet. You can tell a diff. in the way he was coached. Blair was a great athlete. Hope we get the Gunner.
                                                                                              Last edited by NeuteredDoomer; 02-25-2011, 02:47 AM.

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                Has to reschedule his trip to ND due to the weather per 24/7 and ISD tweets.
                                                                                                This post brought to you by the IE 2013 Fantasy Football, Fantasy Basketball, and Fantasy Baseball Champion. (Congrats to Junkhead for the 2013 College Fantasy Football Championship).

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  Due to weather? BULL. He lives in indiana. just kidding...
                                                                                                  The yellow mustard pants are hideous and have to go.

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    WANT HIM, good Indiana kid with ND connections. ESPN talking him up, but im fine with that because he is a blue collar guy who understands the situation he is in.
                                                                                                    "In this room, we win. Out there, they get a chance to feel it." -Brian Kelly

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X