Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'11 CA LB Joe Schmidt (Scholarship Earned)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '11 CA LB Joe Schmidt (Scholarship Earned)

Inside linebacker
    Santa Ana, California
    Mater Dei

Ht:6'2"
    Wt:225 lbs

Schools of Interest:
    USC
    Notre Dame
    Cincinatti
    Air Force
    Arizona

Rivals Profile: Joe Schmidt - Yahoo! Sports
    Last edited by NDinL.A.; 06-11-2011, 01:53 PM.
    2011 Irish Envy Fantasy Football Champion

According to ISD:

Received a visit from Kelly and Denbrock. Will take a visit next weekend to ND. Friends will Niklas

Comment

Why the interest in this kid? We are already down to only a few open slots.

Comment

Originally posted by magogian View Post
        Would be a preferred Walk On Status

Comment

Originally posted by magogian View Post
          preferred walk-on i believe.

Comment

Is Kelly thinking that if he get him to walk-on we get Niklas?

I like it.

Comment

Niklas is also a teammate of Blackwell and Wittek? I'm thinking he ends up at USC now.

Comment

He goes to Mater Dei... fantastic California high school football powerhouse. If the kid started there, he's gotta be SOMEWHAT legit.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                  Niklas is also a teammate of Blackwell and Wittek? I'm thinking he ends up at USC now.
                  Nvm I misunderstood some language and mixed up "friend" and "teammate." It would be very interesting if we landed Niklas.... that long snapper Haynes could really put us in a bind with scholarships depending on how things develop here.

Comment

Clay Matthews was a walk-on. This kid comes from a solid football program. You never know. Just sayin...

Comment

He grew up a huge ND fan, and I believe his sister went to ND as well. Very excited in the late interest. Some highlights:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JDxdL5CFxk8" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>
                      This post brought to you by the IE 2013 Fantasy Football, Fantasy Basketball, and Fantasy Baseball Champion. (Congrats to Junkhead for the 2013 College Fantasy Football Championship).

Comment

good get for a preferred walk on hope we can get him instead of usc
                        God Country Notre Dame
                        http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/n...andeverett.jpg

Comment

The kid has an amazing nose for the ball. "Who else, but Joseph Schmidt?" He made so many sure tackles. What impresses me the most is his statistics knowing the competition. I loved the way he takes on the block and quickly gets off of it. He has good quickness.

I'm a fan.

Comment

Great fire, closes well and does a good job wrapping up. If he was a touch faster or a touch stronger/bigger I think he would be a great safety or LB prospect respectively. Maybe he will develop into a solid player down the road. There are plenty of guys who are "late bloomers" and gain a lot of size, strength, speed or all three after a couple years in college.

Comment

It's this type of kid who dominates and sets the tone on special teams and in practice. Love these types of kids, and if it helps us get Niklas, thats the icing on the cake.
                              This post brought to you by the IE 2013 Fantasy Football, Fantasy Basketball, and Fantasy Baseball Champion. (Congrats to Junkhead for the 2013 College Fantasy Football Championship).

Comment

Just curious, is there a limit of walk-ons for a football team?

Comment

This is great news! Nothing wrong with walk ons from Cali, Texas, or Florida that play like this. Maybe GT tipped their hand with this friend offering business now Kelly and company will try it with Niklas.

The roster limit for FBS schools is 105. 85 can be on scholarship, therefore 20 walk-ons.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/P4tPpqfdt9Y" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>
                                  Last edited by NewEnglandGuy; 01-20-2011, 05:32 PM.

Comment

There is a guy on the 4HL who knows Schmidt and has been trying to get the staff's attention for a while now. Says he grew up a huge ND fan and would love to go. He will be visiting USC this weekend with Niklas. Will visit ND next week but doesn't know if it will be with Niklas on the weekend or midweek on his own

Comment

Originally posted by jason_h537 View Post
                                      There is a guy on the 4HL who knows Schmidt and has been trying to get the staff's attention for a while now. Says he grew up a huge ND fan and would love to go.
                                      I love these stories. I hope it works out for him.

Comment

That highlight tape makes me a big fan....strange how this kid is on a national powerhouse football team...has a great year..and he isn't in any of the rankings for anything...would like to see this surprise commit...hopefully he's tired of the west coast
                                        I DON'T POST A LOT AROUND HERE...BUT WHEN I DO, IT'S USUALLY NON-VALUE ADDED.

Comment

Originally posted by beryirish View Post
                                          That highlight tape makes me a big fan....strange how this kid is on a national powerhouse football team...has a great year..and he isn't in any of the rankings for anything...would like to see this surprise commit...
                                          I believe this was his 1st year starting and recruiting services tend to be slow on West coast players. I think the Mathews comparison is a stretch but he looks talented

Originally posted by beryirish View Post
                                          hopefully he's tired of the west coast
                                          That's like saying "i'm tired of getting laid"

Comment

Originally posted by jason_h537 View Post
                                            That's like saying "i'm tired of getting laid"
                                            hahahaha what a load of CRAP!!!! Work takes me out west often and all I will say is LA, the bay area and San Diego are all awesome.... until you have to spend more than 2 weeks there. Then they all get so annoying in their own unique way. LA and San Diego drivers are the worst I have ever seen... it's like taking New York driving aggression to a bunch of blonde bimbos trying talking on the cell phone. San Fran is a neat town until you have to interact with anyone and you realize how pompous they are.

And lastly, the worst thing about the west coast is how fake friendly/shallow people are + how everyone is an aspiring something. Actor, musician, artist, whatever. It's so sad. And people wonder why that state has -a bajillion dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                                              hahahaha what a load of CRAP!!!! Work takes me out west often and all I will say is LA, the bay area and San Diego are all awesome.... until you have to spend more than 2 weeks there. Then they all get so annoying in their own unique way. LA and San Diego drivers are the worst I have ever seen... it's like taking New York driving aggression to a bunch of blonde bimbos trying talking on the cell phone. San Fran is a neat town until you have to interact with anyone and you realize how pompous they are.

And lastly, the worst thing about the west coast is how fake friendly/shallow people are + how everyone is an aspiring something. Actor, musician, artist, whatever. It's so sad. And people wonder why that state has -a bajillion dollars.
                                              There are 2 people in LA, those born here and those moved here (actors, writers, directors, musicians, models). The problem for people who visit is they often hit up Hollywood and sunset blvd which is populated by those who move here. I would say it is like vacationing to Hawaii as opposed to living there. It is 2 very different experiences

Comment

Originally posted by The Polish Irishman View Post
                                                Would be a preferred Walk On Status
                                                Quick question, what is the difference between a preferred walk on and just a regular walk on? Sorry if this is a dumb question

Comment

Would love to get him in the program as a walk on...guys that love ND and want to be in the program are for sure the rkg that coach kelly has talked about from day.

Great point about special teams IM8 and thanks for finding the video!!
                                                  Love You JB 64.....RIP.....AI720....4EVER

Comment

Originally posted by rikkitikki08 View Post
                                                    Quick question, what is the difference between a preferred walk on and just a regular walk on? Sorry if this is a dumb question
                                                    Basically preferred walk ons can report to summer camp beginning in early August and regular walk ons have to wait till school starts to try out.

Comment

Originally posted by rtrn2glory View Post
                                                      Basically preferred walk ons can report to summer camp beginning in early August and regular walk ons have to wait till school starts to try out.
                                                      Ahh that makes sense...thanks bro montana

Comment

All good...just found out a month ago from a coach at Toledo, I had the same question.

Comment

Do they get any sort of financial compensation or are they paying the whole shot for tuition?
                                                          Just believe.

Comment

Originally posted by rikkitikki08 View Post
                                                            Perferred walkons get to use the whirlpool after the scholarship players. Regular walkons get to use the whirpool right before the janitor uses the water to mop the floor.

Originally posted by Irish.Ca View Post
                                                            Do they get any sort of financial compensation or are they paying the whole shot for tuition?
                                                            No, they pay their own way. Otherwise they'd be an athletic scholarship. Div 1 Football doesn't have partial scholarships. I believe decades ago Bear Bryant and other tried splitting scholarships to issue more of them. The NCAA banned that practice.

Kids that weren't "recruited", think Ruffer here who came to ND on his own (walked on), they can get any tuition assistance a regular ND student (which they are) might qualify for based on need or academics.

The NCAA regs define what it means to be recruited. I believe I read in the thread that Schimdt was getting an in home visit. IF so he been officially recruited per the NCAA. I think if he gets a single letter or contact from a school the NCAA consider him a "recruit" for financial (scholarship) purposes.

Comment

All good...just found out a month ago from a coach at Toledo, I had the same question.
                                                              Walking on at Toledo?

Comment

Originally posted by IrishInColumbus View Post
                                                                Walking on at Toledo?
                                                                Just know a coach there and the question came up

Comment

Based on this kids film...i would not be suprised if BK give him a conditional Schollie....if "x" person does not sign with us the schollie is yours if you want. Happens all the time...just dont hear it....
                                                                  "The good lord put eyes in front of your head rather than in back so you can see where you're going rather than where you've been." Lou Holtz

Comment

the kid looks like a domer

Comment

Just finished his video. Walk-on, scholarship, whatever--hope he plays for the Irish.

Comment

Plays fired up, good nose for the ball, hits hard and wraps up well. Add 15-20 lbs. of muscle, he could do some damage. Plus I like the fact that he has a 3.75 GPA and is team captain ... smart and well respected by teammates/coaches. I definitely wouldn't mind if he's Irish (preferred walk on or schollie).

Comment

So no D1 teams have given this kid a sniff?? Not even mid major?

Comment

Sr. season ... 98 tackles, 10 tkl for loss, 7 sacks. Major teams of interest include Notre Dame (Mike Denbrock recruiter), U$C and Stanford (Brian Polian recruiter)

Comment

• #39
                                                                              Looks awfully good. Decisive; quick acceleration; closer; strong hands; backs rarely fall forward. Hard to see this fellow just hanging out there without intense interest. "Joe Schmidt--middle linebacker" ---sort of has a ring to it.

Comment

• #40
                                                                                Originally posted by Old Man Mike View Post
                                                                                Looks awfully good. Decisive; quick acceleration; closer; strong hands; backs rarely fall forward. Hard to see this fellow just hanging out there without intense interest. "Joe Schmidt--middle linebacker" ---sort of has a ring to it.
                                                                                I agree OMM, hard to believe schools aren't going harder after him. Late bloomer, perhaps. Would love to have him.

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  Pac 10 shoulda been all over this kid last spring...something's fishy about this situation.

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    Pac 10 shoulda been all over this kid last spring...something's fishy about this situation.
                                                                                    Jason mentioned earlier in the thread that this was his first year as a starter.

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      So let me get this right.... we will give a scholarship to a 185 pound long snapper, but want a 6'2" middle linebacker from Mater Dei that had over 90 tackles and was captain to walk on?

ok....
                                                                                      Originally posted by koonja
                                                                                      I'm making peace with Woolly in 2017.

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        Originally posted by ND in CT View Post
                                                                                        Jason mentioned earlier in the thread that this was his first year as a starter.
                                                                                        If I remember correctly, Dayne Crist was a one year starter as well and was offered by everybody before the Summer of his senior year.

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          Dayne Crist also went to camps throughout high school and was highly regarded the entire time.

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            I highly doubt a kid from a program like Mater Dei did not attend any camps before his senior year.

If you're an Ohio boy, you'll be familiar with the qb from St. Ignatius last year (Myers) a first year starter who earned a scholarship to Pitt...if you're good enough they usually find you, but his looks to be an exception.

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              No idea what's up with this kid.....everything about him screams football player.

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                I highly doubt a kid from a program like Mater Dei did not attend any camps before his senior year.

If you're an Ohio boy, you'll be familiar with the qb from St. Ignatius last year (Myers) a first year starter who earned a scholarship to Pitt...if you're good enough they usually find you, but his looks to be an exception.
                                                                                                I'm simply saying he went to camps and wow'd people there. It's a little bit easier to impress people via throwing for a quarterback than it is running around as a linebacker.

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  Originally posted by IrishInColumbus View Post
                                                                                                  I'm simply saying he went to camps and wow'd people there. It's a little bit easier to impress people via throwing for a quarterback than it is running around as a linebacker.
                                                                                                  Actually I will disagree. At these camls they use many different drills to measure a players athletic abilities. They also will do football specific drills to see how they react in a football setting...pass coverage and persuit drills. If impressed they will go to the film and.check to see if they can tackle and do all the things needed in a real game setting. This may be where this kid missed out. But that would still surprise me. If he was athletically very gifted he would be receiving lots of offers now.
                                                                                                  I am not knocking the kid but maybe he is not looked highly enough.....yet.

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    Originally posted by delt1147 View Post
                                                                                                    Actually I will disagree. At these camls they use many different drills to measure a players athletic abilities. They also will do football specific drills to see how they react in a football setting...pass coverage and persuit drills. If impressed they will go to the film and.check to see if they can tackle and do all the things needed in a real game setting. This may be where this kid missed out. But that would still surprise me. If he was athletically very gifted he would be receiving lots of offers now.
                                                                                                    I am not knocking the kid but maybe he is not looked highly enough.....yet.
                                                                                                    You're also right about the game footage issue...scouts are just as proned to see a kid's highlight film, invite him to a camp to workout, and then ask for an actual game film of the kid. This was an area that i'm not sure how much Dayne was able to control his junior season, which should have limited him, but it obviously didn't.

In regards to Joe, I have to think there's atleast a little footage he could have put together for a highlight film to get out to schools and get an invite to a camp, but I wasn't there and I've only just learned about the kid days ago so I will give those guys the benefit of the doubt.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X