Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'11 CA CB Josh Atkinson (Signed Notre Dame LOI)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '11 CA CB Josh Atkinson (Signed Notre Dame LOI)

Cornerback
    Livermore CA Granada HS

Ht: 6-0
    Wt: 180
    40: 4.47

STATS
    '09:

RANKINGS
    Rivals: , #35 CB, Rating 5.7
    Scout: , #46 CB
    ESPN: , #21 CB, Grade 78

OFFERS
    Notre Dame (OV 9/11/10)

Oregon (OV 9/17/10 CANCELLED)
    Washinghton
    Miami
    Arizona St

Arizona
    Oregon St
    San Jose St
    Syracuse
    Utah
    Washington St

ND RECRUITER: Mike Denbrock

DECISION: 9/12/10 Notre Dame Verbal
    Last edited by BGIF; 01-18-2011, 03:56 AM. Reason: Scout bumped him up 1 slot

Josh Atkinson is the son of George Atkinson, former player for the Oakland Raiders, and twin brother of George Atkinson, III, who holds an ND offer.

Josh is a couple of inches shorter, about 10 pounds lighter, than George and ONLY runs a 4.47 forty. George is listed at 4.4. Josh plays CB while George is a Safety.

According to Scout which lists Josh with 3 Stars and makes him their #32 CB the brothers are not necessarily a package deal. They'd obviously like to play together but they're not joined at the hip. They may go their own way. Scout has Oregon leading for Josh.

The two brothers currently hold several offers from the same schools including Arizona, Oregon, Oregon St, San Jose St, UW, and WSU.

Josh has been to a Cal Jr Day and visited UCLA but so far neither have offered.

Comment

ONLY, nice. i say go get the pair of them. thats not a bad list of offers for the young man. it would be neat to see the brothers lock down one half of the field!

Comment

That would be great to get both.

Comment

Fast and athletic pedigree. I'll take it.

Comment

I'm not impressed. 4.47 for a corner is average at best. Wait for a better candidate; it's still early to lock in an average player.

Comment

still has a year to improve on 4.47 40. then throw his bro into the mix. not bad

Comment

Originally posted by Irish52 View Post
                I'm not impressed. 4.47 for a corner is average at best. Wait for a better candidate; it's still early to lock in an average player.
                4.47 is not awesome for a corner, but he does have good size at 6'. Remember, the D we will be using actually prefers bigger corners to faster corners, so in terms of his numbers, he fits right in. Weather or not he gets offered will depend on how he plays in person.

Comment

If he can stick with receivers and can break up a pass/make a tackle, he's an improvement

Comment

Everybody gets so caught up in 40 times, first of all if you are sub 4.5, you are fast. Besides that I would be more worried about the fluidity of his hips and being able to turn and run in coverage.
                    My hero, the one, the only, Brian Scalabrine

Comment

Average at best ???

Wait for a better candidate?

Which one would that be?

His numbers are as good as those already offered by ND.

Lock him in? He hasn't even been offered.

Comment

Originally posted by fitz_bu47 View Post
                        Everybody gets so caught up in 40 times, first of all if you are sub 4.5, you are fast. Besides that I would be more worried about the fluidity of his hips and being able to turn and run in coverage.
                        Amen

Comment

i hate 40 times people fall in love/hate a player over it. anquan boldin ran a 4.7 at the combine but no ones crying about that. and a 4.47 is good no matter what the position, since your complaining about it can YOU do better

Comment

He also has no chance at improving his 40 time. None! (sarcasm)
                            sigpic

Comment

Even if the kis is a 4.7, if he has good form and is physical then he can play more zone than man. Never doubt the ability of a zone corner.

Comment

Picked an offer from the Irish, would be great to get one or both brothers
                                2011 Irish Envy Fantasy Football Champion

Comment

Great to hear!

Comment

Update

RANKINGS
                                    Rivals: , #43 CB, Rating 5.6
                                    Scout: , #33 CB
                                    ESPN: , #18 CB, Grade 78

According to Chris Courtney, eDucks.com

7/8
                                    It's no secret that the Oregon coaching staff has made serious impressions on twin brothers George and Josh Atkinson from Livermore (CA) Granada. Though George appears to be a little more wide open, Josh has firmly contended that Oregon sits atop his list of offers as of right now. ...
                                    Scout.com: Atkinson Says Ducks Are On Top
                                    Last edited by The Polish Irishman; 07-08-2010, 08:55 PM.

Comment

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8zy06Nxocr8&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8zy06Nxocr8&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Comment

Will visit for the Michigan game

Comment

Josh informed ISD that we are his current leader.

Comment

Sweeet Jebus are you for real???
                                            If we land the twins that'll be HUGE for us
                                            We learned more from a three-minute record, than we ever learned in school...

Comment

Good to hear. Hopefully George follows the lead.

Comment

Originally posted by bornready85 View Post
                                                Josh informed ISD that we are his current leader.
                                                Kelly must be spittin' game.

George was originally higher on us. Early PT is a nice selling point. This is awesome, thanks for the update.

Comment

Not convinced they're a package deal. We could use either one of these brothers.
                                                  Just believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish.Ca View Post
                                                    Not convinced they're a package deal. We could use either one of these brothers.
                                                    Did someone say they were a package deal? I haven't gotten that impression from the articles so far. Either one would be nice. Both would be better. I think the excitement is that the brother who didn't have ND leading now does.

Sure would make it easier for Mom and Dad on Game Day if they played for the same team.

Comment

It would be awesome to get both of the young men! But I would take either one seperately!

Comment

This was out of nowhere....if we could get both Atkinson brothers....that would be awesome! I bet you his Josh's Brother (George) has been talking up the Irish program....
                                                        Last edited by NDFANnSouthWest; 08-20-2010, 10:30 AM.
                                                        "The good lord put eyes in front of your head rather than in back so you can see where you're going rather than where you've been." Lou Holtz

Comment

Originally posted by BGIF View Post
                                                          Did someone say they were a package deal? I haven't gotten that impression from the articles so far. Either one would be nice. Both would be better. I think the excitement is that the brother who didn't have ND leading now does.

Sure would make it easier for Mom and Dad on Game Day if they played for the same team.

I feel like II had an article this past week saying something about Atkinson brothers being a possible package deal. I'm not 100% on that but that may be where people have seen it.

Comment

Originally posted by Big23Head View Post
                                                            I feel like II had an article this past week saying something about Atkinson brothers being a possible package deal. I'm not 100% on that but that may be where people have seen it.
                                                            OK, thanks for the update.

Comment

Found this:

What’s up with the Atkinsons | East Bay Prep Corner

But Josh is also quoted on Scout back in February as saying they are not necessarily a package. Long story short, lets get both anyway.
                                                              Last edited by Big23Head; 08-20-2010, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Big23Head View Post
                                                                Found this:

What’s up with the Atkinsons | East Bay Prep Corner

But Josh is also quoted on Scout back in February as saying they are not necessarily a package. Long story short, lets get both anyway.
                                                                Hadn't seen that article but it's consistent with what I've seen. Attending the same school would nice all around. It might be a perference but it's not a requirement.

Comment

That's actually completely and utterly wrong. If that is truly a FAT 4.47... that's quite good for a kid coming out of high school. Two other notes:

1. People who say "you can't teach speed" are completely wrong. Ask anyone who has sprinted at the elite level. 40 times can and do improve.

2. The shuttle is far more important for CBs. I could give a crap how fast someone can run in a straight line.

EDIT: For reference, the fastest CB ran a 4.45 at the NFL combine last year, a whopping .02 better than Josh's reported time.

If we can get the Atkinsons... that would be huge and just about complete this recruiting class.
                                                                  Last edited by IrishLax; 08-20-2010, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Speed is important no doubt...however watching Josh and his technique...was not precise...maybe I need to watch more film. Hips, closing speed, and timing are to me the most important traits of a good corner.
                                                                    Last edited by NDFANnSouthWest; 08-20-2010, 03:12 PM.
                                                                    "The good lord put eyes in front of your head rather than in back so you can see where you're going rather than where you've been." Lou Holtz

Comment

That "unbelievable" time is believable in light of his track times. This kid flies. He must be really raw to be only 3 stars.

Now if only we had coaches that could develop players...

Comment

Sign him up yesterday
                                                                        Just believe.

Comment

I would not hesitate to put this kid on the roster... look at our depth chart... yet some here act like this kid isn't good enough?? That is the exact attitude that now has us screwed depth wise on the Defensive line... if you can get a quality player at a position of need you'd better get em while you can.
                                                                          This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

I would love both Atkinson brothers but I question where that would leave us or the remaining 2-3 spots. I believe George may have something to do with Josh's recent spike in interest, plus the article said he has been asking around (always a good sign.) ESPN has said for awhile that George is very underrated even where he is positioned in the ranking system.

Comment

• #39
                                                                              Both of them could play in the secondary. Great athletes. Zero problems. Enjoy your visit

Comment

• #40
                                                                                With the front seven we are putting together in this class, it would be amazing to round it out with a solid secondary.
                                                                                Atkinson Brothers
                                                                                Wayne Lyons
                                                                                Quincy Aldridge
                                                                                All four are very much within our reach.

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  Originally posted by Irish Man3 View Post
                                                                                  With the front seven we are putting together in this class, it would be amazing to round it out with a solid secondary.
                                                                                  Atkinson Brothers
                                                                                  Wayne Lyons
                                                                                  Quincy Aldridge
                                                                                  All four are very much within our reach.
                                                                                  George will play offense in college, at least to start off with. He is an elite playmaker (and I agree with you guys, from his film he'd be a helluva safety as well). ND is recruiting him on the offensive side of the ball, which is where he wants to be.
                                                                                  sigpic Silence implies consent.

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    Originally posted by NDinL.A. View Post
                                                                                    George will play offense in college, at least to start off with. He is an elite playmaker (and I agree with you guys, from his film he'd be a helluva safety as well). ND is recruiting him on the offensive side of the ball, which is where he wants to be.
                                                                                    I agree with his start on the offensive side. Much along the lines of what FSU just did with Wilder. The two athletes may start on the offensive side but I believe they're defensive acquisitions in the end.
                                                                                    Either way, I would kill to see George Atkinson in an Irish uniform.

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      Will be at ND this weekend for an Official Visit.

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        Blue &amp; Gold

Originally posted by BGIF View Post
                                                                                        Will be at ND this weekend for an Official Visit.
                                                                                        Has both brothers committing!

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          Is that a statement?

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            I hope!

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              Steve Wiltfongs new site 247sports is confirming this

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                Atkinson's are IRISH!!!

BlueandGold.com // Atkinson Brothers Commit To Notre Dame

Blue and Gold!

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  Both Atkinsons are Irish!!
                                                                                                  BlueandGold.com // Atkinson Brothers Commit To Notre Dame

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    Hell yes.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X