Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'11 VA OT Jay Whitmire (Virginia Verbal)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '11 VA OT Jay Whitmire (Virginia Verbal)

Offensive Tackle
    Alexandria, VA T.C. Williams HS

Ht: 6-6
    Wt: 290
    40: 5.10
    GPA: 3.9

RANKING
    Rivals: :, #48 OT, Rating 5.7
    Scout: , #25 OT
    ESPN: , #70 OT, Grade 77

OFFERS
    Virginia
    Virginia Tech
    North Carolina
    Boston College
    Cincinnati
    Connecticut
    Duke
    Maryland
    North Carolina St
    Notre Dame
    Penn St
    Pitt
    Rutgers
    West Virginia

ND RECRUITER: Charley Molnar

DECISION SCHEDULE:
    Last edited by BGIF; 08-19-2010, 03:07 AM. Reason: Ranking Scout -3, ESPN -9

ISD, B&G, and Rivals both list him with an ND offer, Scout doesn't. He recently made a tour for the Triangle Park schools.
    Last edited by BGIF; 04-08-2010, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Scout ranks him 3 Stars and the #26 OT. The Top 25 got 4 Stars. Scout still doesn't list his ND offer.

Comment

Per ISD via ESPN's On The Trail
        4/13
        "I have a couple schools I'm favoring, but I'm still trying to do some more visits this spring," Whitmire stated. "I know it's kind of getting late, but I just want to try and see some schools this summer, and then I'll be closer to making a decision. Maybe I'll name favorites once I'm able to visit a couple more places. That way I'll have the most information I can have when I name them." Whitmire has already been to Virginia, North Carolina, Duke, North Carolina State, West Virginia, Maryland and Penn State. Notre Dame and Boston figure to be in line for visits as well. He also shared his key decision factors, "Definitely a place with really good academics, where if I got a degree from there, that can help me out after I graduate. A good position coach that I'll like, and will make me a real good player. Just a cool nice atmosphere."

Comment

over on isd it sayd the irish is still in the mix with him citing a source close to his recruiting. said he has no interest in any more teams that haven't offered him yet. Charley molnar has visited him twice and is keeping in touch with him. he plans to visit nd before he makes his decision. him and his coach has had schedule conflicts everytime they want to visit but it says not to read into that.

Comment

Update

Rivals originally had him on their 250 Watch List, now they don't have him evaluated, no stars.

Scout bumped him up 4 slots to #22 and awarded a 4th star.

ESPN dropped him 2 slots to #61.

He's up to 290 picked up an offer from PSU and has visited UVA a bunch of times.

UVA seems to be the leader.

Comment

That may be the biggest range of recruit rankings I've ever seen.
              Just believe.

Comment

Updated

RANKING
                Rivals: :, #48 OT, Rating 5.7
                Scout: , #25 OT
                ESPN: , #70 OT, Grade 77

Rivals finally got around to ranking him.
                Scout dropped him 3 slots.
                ESPN dropped him 9 slots.

Comment

Apparently, he will visit for the Utah game. Hinton is also suppose to go see him practice.

Comment

Really? That's awesome news.

Comment

He's a RT, so we may be complete with him.
                      sigpic

Comment

love the staff continuing to work hard and get high quality players in the mix.

Comment

Originally posted by BGIF View Post
                          GPA: 3.9
                          Getting kids like this and giving them 2 years to develop before showing them the field has got to be the blueprint ND uses to return to relevance (possible motto for next year's "the shirt"?)

Comment

He is kinda the same prototype than Prestwood. Very strong and fast for a big man.

Comment

He starts for his highschool basketball team (which plays for State titles virtually every year) and plays lacrosse. Kid has to have solid footwork. Highschool football coach is a ND fan and wants to come with him on his visit.

I honestly believe he just found our next commit. Granted, with recruiting it is hard to go off words, but I believe this visit and a good showing on the field, reels this kid in by next week.

Comment

On ISD they have an update about how Whitmire's official visit went this weekend.
                                It's sounding very good for us.Seems like he had a great visit.
                                Would be a good get for us.

Comment

Glad to hear it. This kid is in my backyard in NoVA. Prestwood can suck a lollipop. Next guy in.

Comment

From ISD's free update on Hegarty (a good read on the guy in it's own right):

Hegarty was not the only offensive line recruit who visited Notre Dame this weekend. Jay Whitmire (Alexandria, Va./T.C. Williams) also visited the Irish and spent a lot of time with Hegarty. Both Hegarty and Whitmire were hosted by current Notre Dame freshman OL Tate Nichols. “We hung out most of the weekend,” explained Hegarty, “but I couldn’t get a feel for him as far as level of interest. He really keeps things close to the vest. But his dad was there and he was a great guy. His dad seemed he was really interested in Jay getting a good education.”

Comment

Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                                      Prestwood can suck a lollipop. Next guy in.
                                      This.

This kid seems like a good lineman to have practice for a few years before he gets onto the field. With the depth Weis started to build in the trenches, and Kelly continuing it, it looks like we may actually have that advantage every other school has.

Comment

ISD's update on him is free:

Visit Opens Whitmire's Eyes

“Virginia’s done a really good job of recruiting him and I think for a long time they were a favorite. He likes it down there,” Randolph said. “I think the fact that he took a trip to Notre Dame and has not made a decision on Virginia means that he’s studying the offers that he has and he’s looking at what opportunities they’re going to present to him. I think this weekend opened up some opportunities.”

Randolph thought the Irish’s win over Utah was a turning point for Brian Kelly's program and sensed from the conversation he had with Whitmire on the plane ride home that the visit was an eye-opener.

“I think they’re a serious contender, I really do,” Randolph said. “Just the things that Jay said and the conversations he had with Coach Kelly and Coach Molnar. I think they jumped up a big notch.”

In addition to meeting with the coaches, Whitmire met with Notre Dame Director of Athletics Jack Swarbrick along with academic advisors and a professor from Notre Dame's business school.

“Here’s a business professor interviewing a prospective football player and he knew about Jay playing wideout in summer league and he knew that he played lacrosse and basketball,” Randolph said. “Those people did their homework on him. That’s not to say that’s not what you should do, but a lot of people haven’t done that.

“They really did a good job of selling Notre Dame today and yesterday and Friday night.”

Comment

Visit went great but distance from home has been mentioned in every article I have seen. He may end up a Cavalier in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish Man3 View Post
                                            Visit went great but distance from home has been mentioned in every article I have seen. He may end up a Cavalier in the end.
                                            Eh, if that happens I'm fine with it. Love the new coach at UVa, he is a stand up guy and Virginia is a very comparable school to ND.

Bonus points that this kid plays lax. I'm going to have to go watch some games this year and see what kind of skills he has at the true American sport.

Comment

T.C. Williams, eh?

"LEFT SIDEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

Comment

Originally posted by WabashFalcon View Post
                                                T.C. Williams, eh?

"LEFT SIDEEEEEEEEEEEEE"
                                                "STRONG SIDEEEEEEEEEE"

Comment

According to 247 sports, committed to Virginia today
                                                  Whitmire commits to Virginia

Comment

Not at all suprised. I stated earlier that distance ws going to play a large factor. Virginia has been in it from the begining. Good for them and good for this young man.

Comment

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo :(

Oh well, glad he's going to UVa. Great school.

Comment

I wish him the best of luck. A RKG for sure.
                                                        God, Country, Notre Dame

Comment

Hope we don't stop recruiting him...just sayin

Comment

Dang...oh well good luck Jay

Comment

Good school, not a good football program, but great school. And they have produced some really good offensive lineman. Not a bad choice.

Just wish it was Notre Dame!

Comment

I think that we still need to recruit two more O-line in this class. We have only Lombard and Nichols ahead of them, and only Hegarty, Hanratty, and probably Springman behind. Five O-line for two years ain't enough---broken record, I know, but this is almost the only deficit I'm worried about. GOT to have the bigs.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                Working...
                                                                X