Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'11 NY OLB Ishaq Williams (Signed ND LOI-EE)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '11 NY OLB Ishaq Williams (Signed ND LOI-EE)

Outside Linebacker
    Brooklyn NY Abraham Lincoln HS

Ht: 6-6
    Wt: 230
    40: 4.65

STATS
    '09: 43 Tackles, 11 Sacks, 3 Forced Fumbles

RANKING
    Rivals: , #2 WDE, Rating 5.9, National #16
    Scout: , #4 DE
    ESPN: , #6 DE, Grade 82, National # 29 of ESPN 150

OFFERS
    Notre Dame OV 12/8/10
    PSU OV Cancelled
    Syracuse OV 12/10/10

Alabama
    Connecticut
    Florida
    Maryland
    Miami
    NC St
    Ohio St
    Oklahoma
    Oregon
    Pitt
    Rutgers
    South Carolina
    Southern Cal
    Stanford
    Syracuse
    Texas Tech
    West Virginia

ND RECRUITER: Bob Diaco

DECISION: 1/14/11 Notre Dame Verbal, Early Entrance.
    Last edited by BGIF; 01-18-2011, 04:25 PM. Reason: Rivals added a Star and 46 slots in Nat Ranking. Scout raised him to #4 DE from #7

Bunch of offers mostly regional (Big East, ACC, and nearby PSU) so far but expanding as ND offered Tuesday.

ESPN 150 Watch List

Scout , #12 DE

ND has a bunch of offers out to DEs.

Comment

All New York City '08 and '09 as DE. Also played receiver at 6-6 220.

Comment

Is he a DE or OLB in a 3-4? Height says DE but weight says OLB.

Comment

Originally posted by mat33 View Post
          "Height says DE but weight says OLB" and Class says Junior, high school Junior.

Do you think he's going to weigh the same 220 (as listed on his Jr program) when he steps on a Division 1 playiing field?

Comment

Even though he's 6'6 it doesn't mean he's got the frame to be a 3-4 DE. I don't know anything about him so I don't know but he very well could be a Jason Taylor type who got the 6'6 height but plays at 255 because that's his max to keep his speed and athleticism.

When the Dolphins went to the 3-4 he went from DE to OLB, so it quite possible that he could be recruited as an OLB.

Comment

Just remember that the recruiting sites for the most part list the prospects as if they are in a 4-3 defense.

So there is a good amount of DE offers according the sites like Scout and Rivals aren't DEs in Kelly's defense and that they are OLBs.

There are going to be a lot of offers for DT but in the 3-4 there going to be DEs and not a NT.

Comment

Originally posted by BGIF View Post
                Do you think he's going to weigh the same 220 (as listed on his Jr program) when he steps on a Division 1 playiing field?
                I don't expect him to weigh 220 in a few years. But i haven't seen a picture that shows his body, so I can't really project his frame, and was just wondering what we were recruiting him as. I also don't like offering guys based on the assumption that they will be able to add 80lbs and maintain there athletecism.

Comment

Can add weight (muscle); can't get rid of height. :) I'd say DE at the next level.

Comment

I don't expect him to weigh 220 in a few years. But i haven't seen a picture that shows his body, so I can't really project his frame, and was just wondering what we were recruiting him as. I also don't like offering guys based on the assumption that they will be able to add 80lbs and maintain there athletecism.
                    Brian Kelly doesn't recruit positions, so it's kinda a moot point in that regard. The discussion regarding this recruit probably is an example why he looks for certain things and doesn't project position letting the kids grow and mature as their bods would naturally do - with a little help from the strength and conditioning program of course.

Comment

Seeing as coaches are recruiting 16, 17, and 18 year old bodies at this time, they have to make assumptions on adding weight and maintaining athletecism. They don't have the luxury of recruiting 22 -25 year old grown men like the NFL does.

That said, Kelly apparently has made an assumption that Williams is going to grow into LT's kind of body since he compared the prospect to that Hall of Famer. Sounds like one vote in the OLB column. But as anduvall06 noted it's a moot argument at this point.

Comment

As we said we don't know the body or if the numbers are right but putting on 80lbs to be a 3-4 DE isn't going to happen.

Really what's they point of adding that much weight to someone because there is a max for everyone and but adding the weight it will kill one's speed, quickness, flexibility etc. etc..

As one who is in a family who's business is that of training athletes mostly at the pro level from S&C coaches to trainers and what not I can tell you that the max of good weight before hurting performance is between 30-40 lbs.

Comment

Most of the guys that we will see at DE in the 3-4 will be listed as DT on Scout, Rivals etc. etc.

The D-Line in the 3-4 is more or less a nose guard/tackle and two 4-3 DT's as DE's. The OLB are big pass rushing types more like that of a 4-3 DE.

Comment

YouTube - Ishaq Williams #1

Comment

"I'm not trying to be rude...." Famous last words. I'm not trying to be rude, but I think I'll do it anyways by ripping a recruit. Well played.

Do us all a favor and try less hard next time...
                              Last edited by HereComeTheIrish; 02-26-2010, 12:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtySecret View Post

Talented athlete at both DE and TE. Lives in the opponent backfield making TFL after TFL - between sacks. At TE makes a nice jumping grab in traffic and looks like Floyd stretching out of the end zone to snare a TD pass while dragging his toes inbounds. He is a staple of his team's running game. Not carrying the ball but either sealing the end on sweeps, or bowling over a defender.

On one red zone play he's in the end zone (as TE) looking for the ball and his QB pulls the ball down and scrambles wide to the right for the corner of the end zone. Ishaq comes out of the end zone and smashes a tackler coming up on the QB.

Williams can hit on either side of the ball.

Comment

He's been busy. Picked up offers from coast to coast and places in between UCon, UF, OU, & Southern Cal.
                                  Last edited by BGIF; 03-15-2010, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Football, not politics, the biggest thing to South Carolina recruits - ESPN

JC Shurburtt

4/1
                                    The next great New Yorker
                                    In the tradition of Maurice Evans and Dominique Easley, Ishaq Williams (Brooklyn, N.Y./Abraham Lincoln) is the next great defensive line prospect from the Big Apple.

The 6-foot-6, 230-pounder holds scholarship offers from a number of programs, including Maryland, Rutgers, Syracuse, Pitt, NC State, Penn State, Miami, West Virginia, Boston College, Texas Tech, Florida, Notre Dame, Louisville, Iowa, Michigan, USC, South Carolina, Connecticut, Alabama and Oklahoma.

"I am greatly honored that people such as recruiters, coaches and journalists see me as such. I am also proud that the hard work of me and my supporters is being rewarded," Williams said. "I look to be the best I can be at what I do, and work as hard as I can to get as far as I can with the football thing."

Williams does not have any unofficial visits set up presently, but said he does intend to take several.

"Nothing is set in stone," he said. "Everybody is all even right now and I am considering all schools. I am looking for good academics, good program, excellent coaches, good environment and a place where I can feel comfortable in and feel at home. I am pretty sure I will ride it all the way. I am not going to make my decision early."

Comment

Monday Mailbag | April 12th
                                      By Charles Drake | 4/12/10

Ishaq Williams
                                      The 6'6", 225-pound DE/OLB/TE out of Brooklyn, New York is an interesting prospect. Definitely one of those national recruits that could end up anywhere in America.

Southern Cal, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, Penn State, South Carolina, Oklahoma, and Syracuse all have his eye and more schools like Alabama, Florida, Maryland, Rutgers, West Virginia, and Ohio State are all recruiting Williams and have offered.

With very little confidence behind it at this point, I think Southern Cal and Penn State have the early lead.

Early Projection: Penn State

Comment

4/20/10 Williams making NYC a DL home By JC Shurburtt ESPN
                                        Ishaq Williams making NYC a must-see for coaches searching for D-linemen - ESPN

... "One thing that sticks out to me about him is his businesslike approach to preparing for everything," Abraham Lincoln coach Shawn O'Connor said. "Everything from how he prepares academically to the entire recruiting process and on the field out at practice. I am starting to see more of his verbal leadership this offseason. Last year, as a junior, we wanted him to step up as a verbal leader, and now he's bringing the team along."
                                        Part of that preparation is the work Williams puts in developing a deeper understanding of the game, and not just from an X's and O's standpoint, either.
                                        "If he doesn't understand something right away, he will come back and study it," O'Connor said. "We spoke with a coach from Notre Dame and he said something about [former New York Giants all-pro] Lawrence Taylor. He didn't know who that was, but the next day he came back to school and had researched [Taylor] on the computer and he knew who he was. It's sort of funny that someone doesn't know who Lawrence Taylor was, but I guess kids this age, to them, LT is LaDainian Tomlinson. He does his prep and does his research on a lot of things."
                                        Williams says some schools that run 3-4 defensive schemes are evaluating him as an OLB, something that plays to what O'Connor says is Williams' greatest strength -- pass rushing.
                                        "I chase down plays well," Williams said "I play sideline to sideline. I use the OL's weakness to get to the quarterback. I feel like I get to the quarterback fast. I do want to work on my left-handed stance."
                                        Williams has a host of scholarship offers, including Alabama, Connecticut, Florida, Maryland, Miami, Notre Dame, North Carolina State, Oklahoma, PSU, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, South Carolina, Syracuse, Texas Tech, USC and West Virginia. He has visited PSU, Pittsburgh, Rutgers and Syracuse unofficially and said the coaches at each of those programs had great knowledge of football.
                                        Nittany Lions DLine coach Larry Johnson, who is considered one of the nation's best recruiters, has been involved with Williams for PSU. "[Johnson] is a wonderful guy," Williams said. "I really respected him for his knowledge of the game. I was taken aback by how the players at PSU respected him. He's a good coach; I can see that I would fit in there."
                                        Williams has taken in a basketball game at Syracuse and said he got an appreciation for the atmosphere and size of the Carrier Dome, where the Orange also play football. He also was impressed with Rutgers coach Greg Schiano after the two met during his trip to New Brunswick.
                                        This summer, Williams and his father plan to visit multiple programs. He will trim his list from there. "I am looking for a good education, a good program, a place where I feel comfortable with the coaches, and a good environment," Williams said. "I want to wait until national signing day to make a decision. Everything is equal right now." ...
                                        This isn't a new article but it addresses the DE/OLB questions being asked here.

Comment

Ranking Update

RANKING
                                          Rivals: , NR WDE, Rating 5.9, National #52
                                          Scout: , #12 DE
                                          ESPN: , #6 DE, Grade 82, 150 To Watch

He's 4 stars by all. He's piked up offers from OSU and ORE to add to the likes of ND, UF, ALA, OU, PSU, and Southern Cal. He's not a regional recruit anymore.

Comment

Center of attention: Lincoln's Williams explodes onto national recruiting scene
                                            By ZACH BRAZILLER
                                            May 7, 2010
                                            Center of attention: Lincoln's Williams explodes onto national recruiting scene - NYPOST.com
                                            Compared to other New York City football coaches, Shawn O’Connor knows plenty about high-level recruiting. In a decade at Lincoln, he has coached three prominent prospects – Nyan Boateng (California by way of Florida), Lansford Watson (Maryland) and Khalif Staten (Iowa). Boateng and Watson were All-Americans.
                                            But O’Connor admits those three are nothing compared to the latest talent, junior Ishaq Williams.
                                            “It’s crazy,” he joked. “I’ve got five or six coaches coming through every day. I got to slow this down.”
                                            It may be out of his control.
                                            The soft-spoken Williams, Lincoln’s dynamic defensive end/tight end, has become one of the more sought-after talents in the country and the seventh-ranked defensive end in the nation by Scout.com. He has received invites to both All-American games, run by Under Armour and the U.S. Army. He has 25 BCS-level scholarship offers from just about every power conference, prominent schools such as Alabama, Florida, Miami, Penn State, Rutgers, Syracuse, Notre Dame, USC, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Michigan, and Pittsburgh coming hard after him.
                                            “It’s a great honor,” he said, a phrase Williams often repeated, referring to the interest, and the All-American invites. “But it doesn’t move me. I keep a level head and keep working harder."
                                            The 17-year-old from Clinton Hill speaks to several assistant coaches per day. Thursday afternoon, he had a Skype video conference with Alabama coach Nick Saban. He has taken unofficial visits with his father, Shaun, to Syracuse, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Miami and Maryland, meeting each school’s head coach.
                                            Shaun said when his son first started playing football, at the age of 7, he was faster than all the other kids. He started working at the sport then and hasn’t stopped.
                                            "It really is a blessing," his father said. "I don't want to make it sound like we're cocky or we have a sense of entitlement, but at a certain point when you put in as much work as he's putting it in, and as much work as our family has put in, you expect it."
                                            Williams, an All-City first team selection by The Post who had 43 tackles, 11 sacks, and three forced fumbles, has grown used to the attention he at once avoided.
                                            “It’s fun actually and it’s necessary,” he said. “I don’t like attention in general, but I do like this attention. It’s a very important part of my life and I have to make a decision.”
                                            He plans to take several unofficial visits over the summer, to see all 25 of the schools that have offered. Williams would like to cut the list down to five by the start of the season and have a decision by the turn of the new year. He has received advice from the former Lincoln stars, especially Boateng, who suggested picking the school that wants him the most.
                                            “I’m going to visit most of them, evaluate them all, and pick which one best suits me,” he said. “I’m looking for a good environment, a good coach, place I feel comfortable with good academics, and where I have a chance to go to the next level.”
                                            With an 82 average, Williams isn’t only on pace to qualify, but graduate early from Lincoln this January. He would like to be able to begin taking classes at the school of his choosing by then.
                                            An assistant coach involved in Williams’ recruitment expects him to have close to 50 offers by the middle of summer. The coach called it the “Dominique Easley factor,” referring to the Curtis defensive tackle now at Florida. Plenty of coaches made the trek to New York City to see Easley and they want a crack at the latest standout. The coach made sure to say he doesn’t believe Williams is on Easley’s level yet, but that coaches like his possible upside as an edge pass rusher.
                                            “He’s so quick and explosive,” the coach said. “He has a great first step.”

Comment

He has received advice from the former Lincoln stars, especially Boateng, who suggested picking the school that wants him the most.
                                              I can't say that "picking the school the wants him the most" is prudent advice particularly as Boateng signed with Urban Meyer and then transferred cross country to CAL. I'm reading into that that Boateng signed for the bling, the most flash, jumped on the bandwagon.

Wouldn't it be smarter to go to a school that develops you a person as well as a football player so you can be successful no matter where you go in life?

Comment

I can't say that "picking the school the wants him the most" is prudent advice particularly as Boateng signed with Urban Meyer and then transferred cross country to CAL. I'm reading into that that Boateng signed for the bling, the most flash, jumped on the bandwagon.

Wouldn't it be smarter to go to a school that develops you a person as well as a football player so you can be successful no matter where you go in life?
                                                one would think...this kids sounds like he is saying all the right things! hopefully he will figure it out!

Comment

That sounds like the worst idea in the world BGIF. I would much prefer to send my son to the school that gave us the most amount of money and didn't prepare him at all for life outside of football. I especially like the schools whose degree is as valuable as toilet paper. (sarcasm font go!)

Comment

According to Steve Wiltfong at ISD...

"Four-star defensive end will visit Notre Dame for the first time on Aug. 5th."

yyyyyeeeeaaaaahhhhhhh
                                                    Last edited by The Polish Irishman; 07-02-2010, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Not sure on the date, but Rivals has said that he's going to visit ND, Cal, and Florida in August. Said he plans to have his list trimmed to 10 before his season starts in September.

Comment

Any word on how his visit went last week? Or did he even make the trip to SB?

Comment

He did not make the trip...I would say he is a long shot at this point. But things can change.
                                                          2011 Irish Envy Fantasy Football Champion

Comment

Yea seems like a long shot, especially with the players already committed at his position.

Maybe he will check out the game vs Army at Yankee stadium!

Comment

Thanks for the update Polish. I figured we would have heard something about his visit if it had happened.

Comment

On campus for a visit

Comment

Very nice!!!

Comment

He said he'd be here in August.

Comment

Great to have him on Campus and see practice. Remember he came to ND on his own dime.
                                                                      2011 Irish Envy Fantasy Football Champion

Comment

Hope today makes him come back for an official, or even better, DB commit!
                                                                        Just believe.

Comment

Wow

Originally posted by TerryTate View Post
                                                                          On campus for a visit
                                                                          I did not think that would happen. Good news.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish.Ca View Post
                                                                            Hope today makes him come back for an official, or even better, DB commit!
                                                                            Do you mean DE?

Comment

• #39
                                                                              I dont really see a verbal off of this visit. But TT or BGIF, do you have any info on what the weeks delay was?

Comment

• #40
                                                                                Originally posted by Irish Man3 View Post
                                                                                I dont really see a verbal off of this visit. But TT or BGIF, do you have any info on what the weeks delay was?
                                                                                What "weeks" delay?

Look back in the thread Terry posted he was coming sometime in August. He did that with almost 3 weeks to spare.

Perhaps the coaches asked him to come now to see practice. Seems more logical than coming while Kelly was on vacation, doens't it?

Perhaps his dad (or whoever brought him) had to work around a work schedule. What does it matter?

What's significant is he made the trip and it was on his dime. His effort. Not a prospect just visiting to see a marquee game for free.

Usuallly there are no reports while a recruit is on campus. When Terry, TPI, NDinL.A. anyone else has an update it will be posted.

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  Originally posted by NewEnglandGuy View Post
                                                                                  According to Steve Wiltfong at ISD...

"Four-star defensive end will visit Notre Dame for the first time on Aug. 5th."

yyyyyeeeeaaaaahhhhhhh
                                                                                  I think this is what Irish Man3 was referring to BGIF. I made the same mistake as well. But yeah they're aren't any reports about a visit until a recruit leaves campus.

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    Thanks. I was just looking for any kind of information on why the delay. If there was anything specific or just nothing at all.

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      I was a little discouraged after not making Ray Drew's final eight. I didnt expect to get him so much as I just wanted to have our name in the mix until the end. But after Ishaq Williams visited this week, we did get some interesting news and comments:

http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/blog...illiams-update

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        Honestly, I don't think we have space for another DE in this class. PTime for a RB, another WR, and some secondary help.

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          Im pretty sure we are recruiting him at the OLB position. And with a guy at 6'6/220 and running a 4.4 in his 40, I dont think you pass on him. He has unreal talent and an amazing build for an OLB.
                                                                                          With Ray Drew and Tuitt as more than longshots, I think this could be one last pickup on our defensive front seven. I agree we still have needs in the secondary but I just dont think you can pass on a guy with this skill set.

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            Originally posted by Irish Man3 View Post
                                                                                            Im pretty sure we are recruiting him at the OLB position. And with a guy at 6'6/220 and running a 4.4 in his 40, I dont think you pass on him. He has unreal talent and an amazing build for an OLB.
                                                                                            With Ray Drew and Tuitt as more than longshots, I think this could be one last pickup on our defensive front seven. I agree we still have needs in the secondary but I just dont think you can pass on a guy with this skill set.
                                                                                            4.4???

Perhaps he's the surprise recruit for the secondary. He'd be as fast or faster at 4.4 than any ND verbal so far. Look out Taylor Mays!

Rivals lists him at 4.65
                                                                                            Scout at 4.76

I didn't find any article in this thread citing 4.4. Can you provide one?

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              4.4???

Perhaps he's the surprise recruit for the secondary. He'd be as fast or faster at 4.4 than any ND verbal so far. Look out Taylor Mays!

Rivals lists him at 4.65
                                                                                              Scout at 4.76

I didn't find any article in this thread citing 4.4. Can you provide one?
                                                                                              I say he runs a 4.4 and that's final BGIF.. :)

That irishdaily link doesn't work and yes, I think we have like 4 or 5 slots left. So we have some room for another DE or 2 with a safety and DB.

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                If he runs a 4.4... biggest WR EVER.

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  Originally posted by WabashFalcon View Post
                                                                                                  If he runs a 4.4... biggest WR EVER.
                                                                                                  Except for http://www.irishenvy.com/forums/2012...ham-offer.html

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    Originally posted by WabashFalcon View Post
                                                                                                    Honestly, I don't think we have space for another DE in this class. PTime for a RB, another WR, and some secondary help.
                                                                                                    ND is recruiting pretty much all elite guys right now, or guys in a major position of need (i.e. secondary). Ishaq is an elite guy, and ND is definitely recruiting him. And he really loved the visit; it really helped us out. He doesn't have a list of favorites yet, but I'd imagine ND and Bama (he visited them on his way home from ND) will be on that list.

Oh, and he was too tired to make his scheduled visit to FL, per ISD. So I like him even more now!
                                                                                                    sigpic Silence implies consent.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X