Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'11 KS QB Bubba Starling (Nebraska Verbal)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A lot of us thought he'd be going the baseball route, but it's not finalized yet. There was an enormous ESPN article on Bubba that was up over the weekend. Personally, I think he's gone.

Comment

• Can't really turn down the signing bonus he would get.

Comment

• I think I read on ESPN that he has until mid July to figure out what his next step is. Seems like a small window to negotiate a signing bonus and contract. Scott Boris is his agent so I am sure he will get top dollar.

Comment

• Originally posted by clashmore_mike View Post
          Can't really turn down the signing bonus he would get.
          Especially because of the speculation that the next baseball CBA (currently being negotiated) will eliminate the teams' ability to pay above slot. This could be the last chance for draftees to use their leverage.

Comment

• He probably wouldn't have gone so high (especially to a risk neutral org like the Royals) if they didn't think he'd sign. I follow the Tigers and they've drafted 3 guys w/their top overall pick that fell in the draft (some dramatically) because teams didn't think they'd give up their scholarships or would be difficult to sign...probably b/c they were repped by Boras. If you care, the three are Porcello, Jacob Turner and the kid last year Nick Castellanos who some thought was the 2nd best HS bat in the draft behind Harper. He dropped all the way to the supplemental round!
            I'm kind of a big deal

Comment

• Boras always gets his man signed. Bubba wont play a down for Nebraska.
              Originally posted by koonja
              I'm making peace with Woolly in 2017.

Comment

• happy for my royals.
                I heard it from a reliable source.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ironman8 View Post
                  Just got picked #5 overall by the Kansas City Royals in the MLB draft. I'm sure Nebraska is glad they grabbed another QB in the '11 class, and I am sure glad we got Golson rather than a verbal commit early on from Bubba.
                  Me too but I didn't think that then.

Comment

• You guys talked me off Starling (due to this baseball stuff) early in the game last year. I appreciate the expertise and insightful guessing that goes on around here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rhode Irish View Post
                      Especially because of the speculation that the next baseball CBA (currently being negotiated) will eliminate the teams' ability to pay above slot. This could be the last chance for draftees to use their leverage.
                      The impending CBA really undercuts the draftee's ability to negotiate. None the less Boras will somehow find a way to be holding all the cards. He could convince GMs to pay a dollar for a nickel based on the rising price of metals.

Comment

• I read somewhere that his Dad was laid-off. This could be a big factor. The kid seems like a good person on top of being an outstanding athlete. I hope he does well in baseball. I'd hate to face him in a bowl game. But, it would be fun seeing him tear up the Big 10/12 in football.

Comment

• MLB draftee Bubba Starling not at Nebraska Cornhuskers' 1st practice - ESPN

Blessing in disguise that he didn't come to ND.

Kid has a bright future with whatever he does.

Comment

• Dude needs to go play baseball IMO
                            Hi!

Comment

• Originally posted by ndfi78 View Post
                              Dude needs to go play baseball IMO
                              +1 .... If it doesn't work out he can come back and play some football
                              When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. - Max McGee

Comment

• Gerrit Cole among 23 unsigned MLB 1st-round picks - ESPN

Looks like He will be going to Nebraska afterall...

Just kidding, ESPN just changed the story up on me, I swear it said they hadn't signed yet.
                                Last edited by chgocub23; 08-15-2011, 11:32 PM. Reason: espn ruins lives

Comment

• Royals reach agreement with Bubba Starling - Rotoworld.com
                                  Royals agreed to terms with first-round pick OF Bubba Starling.
                                  Starling held out until the last minute while considering a football scholarship to the University of Nebraska. But the Royals' generous signing bonus -- worth $7.5 million over three years -- eventually swayed the highly athletic 19-year-old. Bubba has superstar potential and has drawn comparisons, at times, to Bo Jackson.

Comment

• Darn You Zibby! stupid espn ruined my glory! thanks for getting the story right though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bogtrotter07
                                      Did anyone have any doubt? In truth he is a great baseball talent, and he never showed himself to be the kind of team player that ND recruits. I heard the breaking point in his recruitment was when Kelly refused to name the Stadium after him. Plus the special order helmets . . .
                                      Huh? You've gotta be frickin kidding me. If you put a $7.5 million dollar in front of every player on ND's roster every single one of them would think twice about it and probably take it. The kid now can help support his family. And your calling him selfish. Why? Just cause he didn't go to ND? Wow just wow
                                      Last edited by KPENN; 08-16-2011, 08:23 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by KPENN View Post
                                        Huh? You've gotta be frickin kidding me. If you put a $7.5 million dollar in front of every player on ND's every single one of them would think twice about it and probably take it. The kid now can help support his family. And your calling him selfish. Why? Just cause he didn't go to ND? Wow just wow
                                        ^This. Reps.

He just set his family up for the rest of their lives. Would you take it? Or are you just too much of a "team player"?

Hope he helps dig the Royals out of the ditch.

Comment

• Originally posted by ndfi78
                                          I think Bogtrotter07 was trying to be funny
                                          It seemed to me that the "team player" comment was serious, but the rest was sarcastic.

If that was not the case, my apologies.

If that was the case, I do not apologize. :)
                                          Last edited by IrishJayhawk; 08-16-2011, 08:58 AM.

Comment

• How much guaranteed is he getting?...Yea, I'd take it.
                                            "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

• randomly saw this tweeted
                                              Royals' Dayton Moore is confident Bubba Starling just needs more time - KansasCity.com

Sounds like he is still a few years away from the Show
                                              What did Davonte do?

Comment

• Originally posted by dublinirish View Post
                                                randomly saw this tweeted
                                                Royals' Dayton Moore is confident Bubba Starling just needs more time - KansasCity.com

Sounds like he is still a few years away from the Show
                                                At least a few years away. I saw him play this summer and he definitely looks the part and has all the tools but he looked gross at the plate. He was stiff and looked overwhelmed by fastballs and clueless on breaking balls. He did not a have good year last year
                                                If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.

Comment

• Royals prospect Bubba Starling starting to put it all together | The Kansas City Star
                                                  What did Davonte do?

Comment

• Bubba's star is finally exploding

"After a bumpy road, Bubba is finally going supernova. His future has yet to be written into the stars, true, but he has pulled himself out of the bottomless prospect black hole and is closely orbiting the Major League club--surprisingly close. Bubba has willed himself into the outfield picture of 2016 and perhaps even 2015."

Comment

• This is an epic read back. First, an illustration of why I've never been able to stand Pete Sampson's style of reporting:

Originally posted by fraymont View Post
                                                      Bubba told Pete Sampson (II) that he ran an electrically timed 4.38. Pete says he is a ND lock to this point and will be talkin with him sometime this week about his visit. He said he is also shocked about him not committing this weekend, but that its probably coming soon. Bubba is just probably seeing if his feelings for ND are the same 3-4 days later as they were this weekend.
                                                      As far as ND coverage goes, Pete has always been the KING of over-stating and premature reporting. But then when he gets scooped, he pulls out the "well I knew this too but chose not to report it"... which is total bullshit, because when he has any sort of indication or inkling he puts it out there. (Or uses "TJ" to do it).

Originally posted by BGIF View Post
                                                      Worley
                                                      Marquise Williams
                                                      Jacoby Brissett

and waiting in the wings, Kevin Hogan
                                                      Notre Dame passed on Kevin Hogan in 2011, opting instead to target other QBs after missing on Bubba and eventually landing on Golson. Golson beat Hogan in their only head-to-head matchup, and Hogan has played 2.5 seasons of rather mediocre football for the Cardinal. Every year he is tabbed as "could this be his breakout season?" and it has yet to happen... but he's consistently not terrible despite very average skill position talent around him, reasonably athletic, and has NFL upside.

If you could go back in time, would you take a consistent player with a good head on his shoulders over Golson? I think you'd have to knowing that Golson would start for 2 seasons, be carried by the defense for one of them, and then implode over the second half of his last one.

Originally posted by Rocket89 View Post
                                                      First he's a quarterback who just picked Nebraska over ND with Brian Kelly. That signals to me that he either:

A.) Wants to play ASAP
                                                      B.) Football isn't important.

Baseball looks to be more important to him. Going to Nebraska allows him to stay closer to home and not have to buy into the whole ND experience, when he might be gone right away or in a year or two.

We're probably better off not bringing him in. He'd probably only get our hopes, only to see very little playing time inside ND Stadium.
                                                      Look at Rocket89 with the crystal ball! This post is freaking prophetic.

Originally posted by Rocket89 View Post
                                                      It would be a big loss if it was 2001 and we didn't have Crist and Hendrix long-term.
                                                      And then... woof. Shows prognostication is far from an exact science.

How absurd is it that Charlie Weis did not bring in a single competent QB as a potential successor to Clausen? He had three full recruiting classes to get it right... and instead left the cupboard barren.

How much different would Kelly's tenure at Notre Dame have been is Crist has lived up to his 5-star billing? How much different would it have been if Weis had signed a QB in the 2009 class? Or if any of the three 2010 signees had the tools to run the offense?

Comment

• Dayne was a 5 star though, and physically looked the part, I think most people thought he would be great at ND..
                                                        What did Davonte do?

Comment

Dayne was a 5 star though, and physically looked the part, I think most people thought he would be great at ND..
                                                          Agreed. Crist and Luck were the only two QBs that Harbaugh offered at Stanford. He was a legit prospect, just seemed to lose it between the ears after his two knee injuries.

Comment

Dayne was a 5 star though, and physically looked the part, I think most people thought he would be great at ND..
                                                            Everyone thought he would be great. I even remember people calling for him to start over Clausen sight unseen. He was your prototypical QB in every measureable category...

...but then it turned out he wasn't very accurate, and despite being a very smart person never really mastered the mental side of the position.

Comment

• Count me as someone who thought Crist would do great things. Seeing him spell Clausen in 2009 had me excited for the future. After the knee injury in 2010 though, and seeing the way he played against South Florida and USC in 2011, I was behind Tommy till he graduated. On top of Hendrix's struggles it was clear that Rees was the best we had at the time. Golson certainly gave us more big play ability in 2012, but if he wasn't in the picture I'm willing to bet that defense still would have produced 12 wins with Rees starting.

Comment

• Baseball Prospectus calls Bubba Starling one of biggest busts ever | The Kansas City Star
                                                                What did Davonte do?

Comment

• Man I completely forgot about that guy. Can't believe it's been six years.

Comment

• apparently he almost quit baseball this year but he's been batting better since. Only 24 years old, he could probably still play college ball, not too late
                                                                    What did Davonte do?

Comment

apparently he almost quit baseball this year but he's been batting better since. Only 24 years old, he could probably still play college ball, not too late
                                                                      Another Chris Weinke.

Comment

• Originally posted by dwshade View Post
                                                                        Another Chris Weinke.
                                                                        He should have his agent contact FSU.

If the price is right, who knows?

Comment

• If the kid invested his baseball money well he won't need any help.

Comment

• https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...-starling.html

Comment

• I love the comment sections... "Any human looks bad in an A's uniform... " lol
                                                                              This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                                                                                This is an epic read back. First, an illustration of why I've never been able to stand Pete Sampson's style of reporting:

As far as ND coverage goes, Pete has always been the KING of over-stating and premature reporting. But then when he gets scooped, he pulls out the "well I knew this too but chose not to report it"... which is total bullshit, because when he has any sort of indication or inkling he puts it out there. (Or uses "TJ" to do it).
                                                                                This recruitment is the one that sucked me into following recruiting in general.

I was always aware of Weis's classes when they were signed, and I followed BK's first class at ND because I played with/against the NKY guys that were committed, but Bubba Starling is the one that turned me into a recruiting addict.

And to be fair to Sampson, it was probably because so many of the ND reporters seemed certain that Starling was gonna pick ND and crush the world in BK's offense. Sampson wasn't the only one.

I remember falling down the rabbit hole of ND blogs and reports that could be found copied from premium sites, and they all thought that it was simply a matter of days before Starling picked ND.

(Starling's recruitment turned me on to recruiting news in general, but Davonte Neal's is the one that made me sign up for IE lol)

Comment

• Starling was taken off the Royals 40-man roster last winter and was a free agent. Nobody wanted him. He re-signed with the Royals on a minor league deal. An impressive spring training and a minor league season that earned him an appearance in the Triple A All-Star game puts him back on teams' radar. He's out of options and if sent down would have to clear waivers

Inexplicably, in the offseason Royals GM Moore signed OF Billy Hamilton for $4 million on a one year contract. Hamilton may be released to make room for Starling. Hamilton is hitting .217 with a 0.5 WAR.

Enjoyed this comment from an Indians' fan:
                                                                                  Maybe they are getting ready to trade Jorge Soler. I would love to see him in the 4 hole in Cleveland. I wonder what kind of prospects he would cost?
                                                                                  Soler is having his best season in his eight year career. It's worth seeing if Starling can hit major league pitching. Maybe Starling moves on next year.
                                                                                  Last edited by Legacy; 07-11-2019, 11:33 PM.

Comment

• Wonder if he has any itch to try the Chris Weinke route
                                                                                    Love You JB 64.....RIP.....AI720....4EVER

Comment

• Earned a walk in his first MLB at bat.

Comment

• Originally posted by shortynd01 View Post
                                                                                        Earned a walk in his first MLB at bat.
                                                                                        caught a few mins of the game, he struck out ugly in his second at bat
                                                                                        What did Davonte do?

Comment

• Not sure if anyone cares, but Re-signed by KC to a minor league contract.

Comment

Not sure if anyone cares, but Re-signed by KC to a minor league contract.
                                                                                            Hope he saved his signing bonus.

Comment

Not sure if anyone cares, but Re-signed by KC to a minor league contract.
                                                                                              i am always down for a bump of this thread. I google now and then this guy, Jayru Campbell and a few other gems because i am always curious what they are up to
                                                                                              What did Davonte do?

Comment

i am always down for a bump of this thread. I google now and then this guy, Jayru Campbell and a few other gems because i am always curious what they are up to
                                                                                                Has the WWE signed him yet?

Comment

• Originally posted by GowerND11 View Post
                                                                                                  Has the WWE signed him yet?
                                                                                                  hes working for DoorDash trying to support his family per a recent article i read on him. Didn't get any NFL opportunities
                                                                                                  What did Davonte do?

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                  Working...
                                                                                                  X