Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'11 CA DE/OT Troy Niklas (Signed Notre Dame LOI)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '11 CA DE/OT Troy Niklas (Signed Notre Dame LOI)

Tight End
    Anaheim, CA Servite HS

Ht: 6-5
    Wt: 240
    40: 4.7
    GPA: 3.4

STATS
    '09: 16 Catches, 128 Yards, 8.0 YPC, 9.8 YPG

RANKING
    Rivals: , #16 TE, Rating 5.8, National #219, Rivals 250
    Scout: , # 8 OT, #75 on Scout 300 Final List
    ESPN: , #19 TE, Grade 79

OFFERS
    Notre Dame (camp '09)
    Stanford
    USC

Arizona
    Cal
    Colorado
    Florida
    Nebraska
    Oklahoma
    Oregon
    Oregon St
    Tennessee
    UCLA

ND RECRUITER: Mike Denbrock (Brian Polian)

DECISION SCHEDULE:
    Last edited by The Polish Irishman; 01-18-2011, 11:28 PM. Reason: Ranking

Camped at ND and USC last year.

Rivals 250 to Watch
    ESPN 150 To Watch

Comment

He goes to one of my brother's alma mater. Got to see him play once this year...he's a big boy and a very nice player. Plays both sides of the ball. He was offered by the previous regime, but hadn't heard from the new staff until he finally received an email yesterday from the staff saying they'd be in touch shortly. He seems to have genuine interest in ND.

EDIT: Steve Wiltfong from ISD just did a story on him, and he likes our chances with ND after speaking with him. After receiving a couple of emails from the staff, he's going to call them. Says he's looking for a strong academics, a good staff that he gets along with, a strong spiritual experience, and a winning program. Thinks Kelly will turn ND around.
      Last edited by NDinL.A.; 02-17-2010, 10:26 AM.
      sigpic Silence implies consent.

Comment

He's picked up a bunch of offers since the last update including
        Arizona, CAL, Colorado. Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oregon, Oregon St, Stanford.

Comment

USC's invited him to participate in their Rising Stars Camp in June. They get about 250 athletes at that camp. Niklas camped at USC last summer but hasn't been offered.

Comment

Scout added a 4th Star and lists him as their #11 TE.

Comment

Old school TE. Much more of a blocker, he can catch but is not a Rudolph/Carlson type.

Comment

Not much new here from an ND standpoint. We did have a coach visit him during May evaluation period. The following schools visited: USC, UCLA, Cal, Notre Dame, Stanford and Miami.

He just got offered by Florida and UCLA. Said UCLA is recruiting him hard. SC wants him to earn an offer at a camp, which he might do...if they offer he'd strongly consider them, but they are loaded at TE, so it'd probably have to be as a DE.

He'd rather play DE in college, but he's open to anything. Says all schools are even and that he'll take his time in the process...

Comment

Per ISD, down to 2 schools.....Stanford and ND!

Would be a huge get, as he is getting a lot of love as a quality DE, a position of great need. Don't know when he'll decide...

Comment

How good is he at DE? BTW, it's nice to see a kid who says he cares about academics actually mean it.
                    sigpic

Comment

Any ideas when he'll decide? He'd be a nice get being he's versatile and if he played TE it would add to our potentially ridiculous depth and talent there.

Comment

Couldn't find any stats on for him on defense only on offense.

Here's his offensive Stats and updated Ranking.

STATS
                        '09: 16 Catches, 128 Yards, 8.0 YPC, 9.8 YPG

RANKING
                        Rivals: , #16 TE, Rating 5.8, National #219, Rivals 250
                        Scout: , # 17 TE
                        ESPN: , #19 TE, Grade 79

Niklas was recruited by ND last year and camped at both ND and Southern Cal. SC has got obvious number problems recruiting this year and Niklas hasn't gotten an offer.

ND should have a leg up from last year's attention except that those ND coaches are now working elsewhere including his prinicpal ND recruiter Brian Polian who's now at Stanford.

His position in college, TE or DE, may have some bearing on his decision. He plays both ways but his more recognized as a TE than a DE. The three recruiting services have him ranked about the same in the 16 - 19 range but he only had 16 catches for an average 8 ypc last season. That's probably more a product of his team's offense rather than his pass catching abilities.

With Koyack ND appears to have filled its TE needs. They need DEs.

Stanford on the other hand has recruited DE's heavily (12) the past 3seasons while securing fewer TEs (4), only one of those TEs had 4 Stars:

Stanford .. DEs TEs
                        '11 Verbals 4, 0
                        '10 Signees 4, 1
                        '09 Signees 4, 3

Comment

Originally posted by KPENN View Post
                          Any ideas when he'll decide? He'd be a nice get being he's versatile and if he played TE it would add to our potentially ridiculous depth and talent there.
                          The ISD article says no timeline has been set and that he will be visiting both schools several more times. According to Troy, both schools are recruiting him as a jumbo athlete, which hopefully gives us an advantage because his choice won't come down to a position preference... he should be on campus next month. Kid is really sincere about education, a faith-based community, and a great program. Would be a great get!

Comment

I don'yt think Niklas plays much defense at all, its more of a projection based on his size and athleticism. I love seeing Cali kids go to ND but he is a TE to me and a really good blocking TE at that.

Comment

Originally posted by jason_h537 View Post
                              I don'yt think Niklas plays much defense at all, its more of a projection based on his size and athleticism. I love seeing Cali kids go to ND but he is a TE to me and a really good blocking TE at that.
                              One of the nice things about Niklas is that he could play several different positions. ND likes him best as a DE, but he could also end up as a TE or possibly even an OT.

Comment

With Koyack ND appears to have filled its TE needs. They need DEs.

I think its a bonus that he as well as many other recent recruits are able to play multiple positions. Think back to when Rudolph got hurt, Ragone couldn't catch a ball to save his life and Tyler was unable to go due to his back while Golic was not really an option.

Our TE spot has been a problem area over the past few years (let me finish). We've had lots of transfers out, some on/off campus things happen to the guys (their own fault I might add). Plus lots of games lost to injuries which I think Longo and his program will help eliminate with better strength/conditioning. But its like Kelly and his QB's, its better to have too many than too few. You can always run plays that are to a players strength.
                                Last edited by Irish.Ca; 07-07-2010, 09:25 PM. Reason: posted before it was finished
                                Just believe.

Comment

Per Rivals

He's down to Notre Dame and Stanford
                                  Again, he's 6'7", 240 lbs, and runs a 4.7 - He would be a huge pickup at DE.

I'm a fan of Kelly's "Big Skill" mold.

Comment

This kid will be a playmaker where ever he ends up...I hope it's in blue and gold!

Comment

Originally posted by TerryTate View Post
                                      Per Rivals

He's down to Notre Dame and Stanford
                                      Again, he's 6'7", 240 lbs, and runs a 4.7 - He would be a huge pickup at DE.

I'm a fan of Kelly's "Big Skill" mold.
                                      C'mon Terry, our boys from ISD broke this yesterday! Where you been LOL?

Comment

Originally posted by NDinL.A. View Post
                                        C'mon Terry, our boys from ISD broke this yesterday! Where you been LOL?
                                        Seriously. This is embarrassing. Stupid work

Comment

Plans to be on campus again before school starts

Comment

Now is an OT and USC is now interested in him since the position change. Unofficially visited USC on Monday.

Comment

Video:

#87 Troy Niklas

Thank me later

Comment

I honestly don't care what this kid comes in as. I'd take him as a TE, DE or OT. I'd love to have a huge athlete like this on the team. I'm also a very big fan of the "big skill" category.

Comment

According to BlueandGold.com:

He will take a visit to ND, but nothing is setup. He is now considering U$C along with ND and Stanford
                                                  2011 Irish Envy Fantasy Football Champion

Comment

Originally posted by The Polish Irishman View Post
                                                    According to BlueandGold.com:

He will take a visit to ND, but nothing is setup. He is now considering U$C along with ND and Stanford
                                                    USC is looking at him to play OPT and has really stepped up the attention they are giving him. Believe he wants to visit for the abnquet but could come sooner

Comment

This kid is tenacious. Hope Kelly stays after him.
                                                      DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS!! So does a mobile QB!!!

Comment

With Lynch out, are we looking at this kid some more?

Comment

we should of been looking at him the entire time...
                                                          "The good lord put eyes in front of your head rather than in back so you can see where you're going rather than where you've been." Lou Holtz

Comment

We have been. ND, USC, Stanford are the top 3

Comment

come on Kelly bring this guy to south bend.
                                                              Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

wow, hes not aaron lynch, but hes versatile and BK can work with that
                                                                "In this room, we win. Out there, they get a chance to feel it." -Brian Kelly

Comment

The staff has kept constant contact with Niklas

Comment

No escaping Servite, Niklas | niklas, servite, eagles - Sports - OC Varsity

With video

Comment

He "looks" like a ND player...
                                                                      "The good lord put eyes in front of your head rather than in back so you can see where you're going rather than where you've been." Lou Holtz

Comment

When is he supposed to announce?

Comment

We need this kid after the loss of Prestwood. Do we have a timeline on his announcement? Inkling as to where he is leaning?

Comment

[QUOTE=Irish.Ca;375710]
                                                                            Our TE spot has been a problem area over the past few years (let me finish). We've had lots of transfers out, some on/off campus things happen to the guys (their own fault I might add).QUOTE]

Irish.CA is kinda right about your TE situation over the last few year (TE has been a up & down rollcaster).

We always do have that "It" guy back to back though, like Anthony Fasano to John Carlson to Kyle Rudolph ....... but i've also noticed there are players transfering out like Joseph Fauria to UCLA, Will Yeatman to Maryland, Konrad Reuland to Stanford, & Joey Hiben to ??? im not to sure where he went. Is it coaching/home sick/playing time thats making these guys want to leave ND football ? What happen to finding those star players that even if they don't make it at one position that they came to ND to play, they go on to try another position, like a Gary Godsey, Jared Clark came to ND as QB's finished at TE's, Jerome Collins came to ND as a WR then tried LB then finished as a TE. We need some solid role players to go along with are star players. Mike Ragone hasn't lived up to all the hype that came with hi after high school, Mike actually reminds me of a Billy Palmer/Marcus Freeman type, i could be wrong but thats just my opinion.

Next Year ....... who's taking over at TE (if Rudolph decides to leave) are we going to stay with Tyler Eifert since he has received alot of playing time this year with Rudolph being out for the season. Or is Jake Golic and Alex Welch going to be considered for the starting job. and what happen to Derek Roback did he cahnge positions ? (i think LB right ?) Will Ben Koyack get a shot at major playing time freshmen year ?

with all this said ........ i think we really need Troy Niklas, plus he comes from a good football program in Servite, they are always a top cali program. I think he will be a solid addition as a back up (depth). cause we really don't know how Welch/Golic are going to fair out. plus with a are transfer problem over the past few years adding Troy will help out.
                                                                            Last edited by JKhrome1ND; 11-09-2010, 05:45 PM.

Comment

• #39
                                                                              [QUOTE=JKhrome1ND;421290]
                                                                              Originally posted by Irish.Ca View Post
                                                                              Our TE spot has been a problem area over the past few years (let me finish). We've had lots of transfers out, some on/off campus things happen to the guys (their own fault I might add).QUOTE]

Irish.CA is kinda right about your TE situation over the last few year (TE has been a up & down rollcaster).

We always do have that "It" guy back to back though, like Anthony Fasano to John Carlson to Kyle Rudolph ....... but i've also noticed there are players transfering out like Joseph Fauria to UCLA, Will Yeatman to Maryland, Konrad Reuland to Stanford, & Joey Hiben to ??? im not to sure where he went. Is it coaching/home sick/playing time thats making these guys want to leave ND football ? What happen to finding those star players that even if they don't make it at one position that they came to ND to play, they go on to try another position, like a Gary Godsey, Jared Clark came to ND as QB's finished at TE's, Jerome Collins came to ND as a WR then tried LB then finished as a TE. We need some solid role players to go along with are star players. Mike Ragone hasn't lived up to all the hype that came with hi after high school, Mike actually reminds me of a Billy Palmer/Marcus Freeman type, i could be wrong but thats just my opinion.

Next Year ....... who's taking over at TE (if Rudolph decides to leave) are we going to stay with Tyler Eifert since he has received alot of playing time this year with Rudolph being out for the season. Or is Jake Golic and Alex Welch going to be considered for the starting job. and what happen to Derek Roback did he cahnge positions ? (i think LB right ?)
                                                                              He transfered to Ohio to play QB.
                                                                              sigpic

Comment

• #40
                                                                                Most tranferred out because of who was in front of them. With Fasano and Carlson they were both NFL Player--both in the 2nd round. And John still had to bide his time to become the man. Then super Rudolph came in and you get the picture. And now we have Welch who is going to be good. And Ben who looks to be a star. We are set there. And Eifert has more time here too. So, TE we are just fine.

Welch RS Freshmen next year
                                                                                Ben K a Freshman next year
                                                                                Eifert a Junior next year

And this isn't even counting a couple other guys. But, we are fine here.

There was off the field problems too with other players. TE isn't a point of concern here.

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  [QUOTE=JKhrome1ND;421290]
                                                                                  Originally posted by Irish.Ca View Post

Next Year ....... who's taking over at TE (if Rudolph decides to leave) are we going to stay with Tyler Eifert since he has received alot of playing time this year with Rudolph being out for the season. Or is Jake Golic and Alex Welch going to be considered for the starting job. and what happen to Derek Roback did he cahnge positions ? (i think LB right ?) Will Ben Koyack get a shot at major playing time freshmen year ?

with all this said ........ i think we really need Troy Niklas, plus he comes from a good football program in Servite, they are always a top cali program. I think he will be a solid addition as a back up (depth). cause we really don't know how Welch/Golic are going to fair out. plus with a are transfer problem over the past few years adding Troy will help out.
                                                                                  Fauria left because he was getting suspended for a season and had serious issues with Reslife.
                                                                                  Yeatman had serious off the field issues, although his second offense was questionable.
                                                                                  Joey Hibbon if I'm correct quit football, but stayed in school at Notre Dame.

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    We could use this guy on both sides of the ball.
                                                                                    Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      any news on niklas?

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        Are we looking at him as a TE or an OT? We already have our TE this year, we must be thinking of him as an OT or on D.

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          I think either DE or OT more of an athlete
                                                                                          God Country Notre Dame
                                                                                          http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/n...andeverett.jpg

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            Being recruited HARD by SC for OT.

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              what is he going to study? think its that simple for him.
                                                                                              Just believe.

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                Visiting December 28th, for an official.

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  Sorry Its January 28th, for an offical visit.

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    If he really is taking a visit the weekend before NSD, that's pretty awesome.
                                                                                                    I heard it from a reliable source.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X