No announcement yet.

'11 FL S Wayne Lyons (Stanford Verbal)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '11 FL S Wayne Lyons (Stanford Verbal)

Safety
    Ft. Lauderdale FL Dillard HS

Ht: 6-0
    Wt: 190
    40: 4.55
    Bench: 275
    Shuttle: 4.23
    Vertical: 31
    GPA: 4.96
    ACT: 22

STATS
    '09: 87 Tackles, 21 TFL, 2 INT, 8 PBU
    '08: 95 Tackles, 15 TFL, 2 Sacks

RANKINGS
    Rival: , #4 S, Rating 5.8, National #85, Rivals 100
    Scout: , #6 S
    ESPN: , #7 S, Grade 81, National #66, ESPN 150

OFFERS
    Auburn
    Florida (camp '09)
    FSU
    LSU
    Miami (camp '09)
    Michigan
    Mississippi
    Nebraska (OV 10/29/10)
    Notre Dame (OV 9/11/10, camp '09)
    South Carolina
    Stanford
    Vanderbilt
    UCLA (OV 9/18/10)
    USF

Alabama
    Boston College
    Duke
    Harvard
    Illinois
    North Carolina
    OSU
    Pittsburgh
    Southern Cal
    Tennessee
    West Virginia
    Wisconsin

ND RECRUITER: Mike Elston

DECISION SCHEDULE: U.S. Army AA Game or NSD
    Last edited by NDinL.A.; 01-08-2011, 07:06 PM. Reason: OVs

This guy is ranked number 1 academically in his class, and has visited ND twice and loves it.

Comment

Lyons has beeen offered and says he has a really good relationship with the staff and loves Parmalee. NotreDomer23 had a post about Lyons in the classroom that got deleted. Here is a link.

Dillard's Lyons hits opponents and books equally hard - High School Sports - MiamiHerald.com

Comment

Will be at the USC game

Comment

This the type of kid you want at ND

some quotes from a premium article

"I have a 4.8 GPA. I take a lot of AP classes and I am taking college classes at Broward Community College. I am hoping to be our Valedictorian. I want to major in engineering. I do that and I can do anything."

Is high on ND and Stanford at this point but he has offers from all over

Comment

Sign him up soon. My only question would be what if he enrolls early. Does he have to be counted towards the previous years class? It looks like we'll fill this years so that could work against us.
            Just believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish.Ca View Post
              Sign him up soon. My only question would be what if he enrolls early. Does he have to be counted towards the previous years class? It looks like we'll fill this years so that could work against us.
              EE can be counted towards the previous year or the next year. It's open.

I see this guy as a tough pull out of Florida but that's what I said about Nix!

Comment

Ferom everything i have read, this kid is all aboit education. He had alot of high praise for both ND and Stanford and has already visitited both schools

Comment

i think unlike some recruits who use academic smoke screens to impress parents and media *cough* Henderson *cough*, this guy is serious (considering his 4.8 gpa).

according to his Scout profile, he has attended 3 school camps, notre dame being the only one outside his home state (florida)...i have ALOT of confidence in signing this guy
                  Conquest, War, Famine and Death

Comment

This guy makes me feel excited.

Comment

If we do well this year we should easily be abile to pull him in he seems like an RKG
                      God Country Notre Dame
                      http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/n...andeverett.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by irishman3 View Post
                        i think unlike some recruits who use academic smoke screens to impress parents and media *cough* Henderson *cough*, this guy is serious (considering his 4.8 gpa).

according to his Scout profile, he has attended 3 school camps, notre dame being the only one outside his home state (florida)...i have ALOT of confidence in signing this guy
                        I am pretty sure there is a link in this thread about how high he is on education. He's a science geek and builds robots, when he isnt laying the lumber on the football field. Should be one of the top safeties nextyearand hopefully a high priority target. Keep the fingers crossed

Comment

Roger that. Fingers crossed for the brainiac linebacker!

Comment

he sounds more like a Safety with that size.....6' 190lbs

Comment

Excuse my ignorance on this prospect, but how good of a player are we talking here? just wondering?

And deff have to LOVE his enthusiasm for education! Sounds like a great kid

Comment

Originally posted by NDty9 View Post
                                Excuse my ignorance on this prospect, but how good of a player are we talking here? just wondering?

And deff have to LOVE his enthusiasm for education! Sounds like a great kid
                                Best way to judge a recruit is by his offer list...

Alabama, Auburn, Florida among others. kid is a player
                                Traveler SUCKS!!!

Comment

Lyons is being recruited as a Safety for ND so if a mod can correct it that would be great. He was also one of Weis's top taregts for 2011 and will likely be a high 4 star at least. he was close with Parmalee and was upset overthe friring but i believe Alford is recruiting him now

Comment

Kid hits like a truck. Saw his video on Youtube. May need to work on his speed but that shouldnt be a problem as he has a whole year to improve. He has good instincts and gets off blocks quickly. Would be a great addition to any class.

Comment

I wonder where we stand with him now?

YouTube - Wayne Lyons #21 Strong Safety NEW JUNIOR HIGHLIGHT Dillard High School Class Of 2011

Comment

hes from florida he fast and very athletic right now he is a four star prospect I like him
                                        God Country Notre Dame

Comment

According to Pete Sampson, IrishIllustrated, at the U.S.Army Combine in January Lyons commented about the cold in San Antonio and his mom supposedly to him to get used to it as it's cold in South Bend.

Go mom!

Mom is a Broward school teacher and Florida grad.
                                          Last edited by BGIF; 02-09-2010, 02:28 AM.

Comment

Profile updated

added: ACT 22, Bench 275, Rivals 250 To Watch, Southern Cal offer

Comment

7 out of10 on tackles probably more to an 8 just cause he doesnt blow it up when he brings them down. After the last few years though I'm happy if they are brought down.
                                              10 out of 10 on awaresness though kid seems to take good angles to the ball and knows whats going on around him.

This is just a personal observation (from the video) like it or don't. I think this kid really has potential.

Comment

He is definitely fast I think he could definitely hit harder I think he has a ton of potential though
                                                God Country Notre Dame

Comment

I really don't care if he knocks peoples helments off i just want sure tackles.
                                                  Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

Rivals was saying the staff reoffered and he was really happy with the conversation. ND is back in the thick of it with him.

Comment

His mom graduated from FL, and his sister currently goes there, and he had seemingly expressed frustration over not getting a FL offer (it was a premium article and the lead made it sound as if he was frustrated), but he finally got the FL offer last week.

Even though this kid is an A++ student and just an outstanding young man who doesn't fit the FL mold (Tebow not withstanding), it was generally assumed that he would commit to FL once they offered. But that doesn't seem to be the case...he's taking this recruiting thing very seriously. This is what he told tharinger.com:

Lyons described his initial reaction upon receiving the UF offer.

"I was excited about it at first cause I really grew up liking them you know," Lyons said. "But it doesn't put them any higher because of that. Right now everyone is even. I honestly don't have any favorites."

The 6'0", 190 pound safety prospect, who is being recruited by Zach Azzanni, also explained that he is no stranger to the Florida campus.

"It's a great university and my sister goes there so I've been there before." He said. "She doesn't really try to influence me though, other than taking me to some parties."

The heralded junior also described his plans for his much anticipated recruitment, which he described as "crazy".

"I am up to 41 offers with North Carolina, Prairie View A & M, Memphis, Florida and Western Kentucky being the latest, which I received last week." He said. "It's crazy! I never thought it was going to be like this."

"We are reviewing recruiting questions that me and my mom sent out to the schools that had offered by March 1." Lyons said. "We will send out the questions to the new schools that have offered since then as well. We are hoping to cut the list down by the first of the summer in June. We're going to schedule additional visits once the list is narrowed down. All of the schools will have a chance to make their pitch during spring ball, and once they are allowed to call me. Any schools not wishing to return the questions will be eliminated from consideration, no hard feelings."

Thus far Lyons has visited Florida State, Florida, Miami, South Florida and Maryland since January and will visit Ohio State next month for their Spring Game. Lyons missed many spring games because he went to Washington, DC for a 6-day Leadership Conference March 23-28.

"I love it because it's really an honor and academics and leadership is big for me and I get to see a bunch of the capitals and monuments and that stuff." Said Lyons.

Lyons maintains that he will make his commitment either at the US Army All American game or soon after on National Signing Day.
                                                      We'll see if we're still in it come June...
                                                      sigpic Silence implies consent.

Comment

There was a Rivals article saying the same thing. Didnt know he had so much family at Florida which is pretty dissapointing. The kid is obviously very bright and appears to have his head and priorities together. Alford is recruiting him hard and he seems to really be thinking education first so here's hoping

Comment

Great article on Wayne from Rivals.com. This kid really has a great head on his shoulders and has a plan for his life. Wondering if ND could set him on a track for being a Rhodes Scholar like the other 3 schools mentioned in the article?

Rivals High - Top prospect Lyons has eyes on education
                                                          This post brought to you by the IE 2013 Fantasy Football, Fantasy Basketball, and Fantasy Baseball Champion. (Congrats to Junkhead for the 2013 College Fantasy Football Championship).

Comment

Sounds like a good overall kid and an RKG plus Alford is starting to turn into a big gun in Florida I would not be suprised if he ended Irish
                                                            God Country Notre Dame

Comment

any news on this kid, or is nd going in a different direction with safeties?

Comment

Originally posted by ND86 View Post
                                                                any news on this kid, or is nd going in a different direction with safeties?
                                                                I don't think he has much interest in ND. Seems to be favoring Florida.

Comment

Talking Recruiting with Lyons | soflafootball.com

Laura McKeeman

4/22

BC and UNC have offered.

Does not have a Top 5. May make a Top 15 List later this Spring.

Academically he can go anywhere he wants. 4.8 GPA and a Harvard offer.

When asked about schools in Florida, Lyons lights up. Starting with UF, his sister and mom went to Florida so he has some family ties there.
                                                                  “I get to see my sister. We don’t even talk about football, we just kick it and relax and laugh,” Lyons chuckled.
                                                                  As for Miami, Lyons is excited about some things Canes head coach Randy Shannon told him.
                                                                  “He said I’m real high on their prospect board right now. He (Randy Shannon) is real impressed. I didn’t know it was that small of a campus.”
                                                                  Keep in mind this is a So Florida recruiting service.

Comment

One of nation's top DBs gets 43rd offer

<META name=title content="One of nation's top DBs gets 43rd offer" itxtvisited="1"><META name=description content="By Brian McLaughlin" itxtvisited="1">By Brian McLaughlin Sporting News
                                                                    May 3

Texas Tech has offered giving Lyons 43 offers including Alabama, Florida, Florida State, LSU, Miami, Ohio State, Notre Dame and USC and some Ivy League schools.

Lyons anticipates that the offer parade may not end until June. The spring evaluation period for college coaches is April 15-May 31.

“I guess until the spring is over, I won’t know the final count,” Lyons told Sporting News. “Spring ball officially started May 1st. I can’t wait to hit somebody."

Comment

Per ISD, Lyons has sent out a list of 50 questions to each school that has offered him. The list includes questions pertaining to issues such as grad rates, grad rates for African American players, the architecture program (I think that was his possible major) and how many football players are in that major, etc. This kid is a STUDENT-athlete and obviously he means business.

Oh, and the 1st 2 schools to answer? Northwestern, and Notre Dame of course. Different coaches answered the questions, including Brian Kelly.

Lyons was impressed and is very interested in Notre Dame, among many other schools...
                                                                      sigpic Silence implies consent.

Comment

Originally posted by NDinL.A. View Post
                                                                        Per ISD, Lyons has sent out a list of 50 questions to each school that has offered him. The list includes questions pertaining to issues such as grad rates, grad rates for African American players, the architecture program (I think that was his possible major) and how many football players are in that major, etc. This kid is a STUDENT-athlete and obviously he means business.

Oh, and the 1st 2 schools to answer? Northwestern, and Notre Dame of course. Different coaches answered the questions, including Brian Kelly.

Lyons was impressed and is very interested in Notre Dame, among many other schools...
                                                                        Thank you. That's got to be good news. Just seems like a kid that would flourish to his full potential at Notre Dame.

Comment

Nd has been in with Lyons for a while now and he really seems interested in Acadamics. Hopefully the connections to Florida will not be a factor. My favorite player so far

Comment

Notre Dame seems to be the favorite of this guy. Just my opinion. Would love to add him to our secondary. Like this guy a lot.

Comment

• #39
                                                                              I think that the personality of BK and staff will be a big draw for him along with the academics obviously. This is a big fish in the sea and our odds are looking very good thus far.

Comment

• #40
                                                                                Great article on him at the link:

College Football Recruiting: Wayne Lyons takes studied approach to recruiting - ESPN

Notre Dame was one of the many schools that impressed the family with their answers. Assistant coach Mike Elston filled out most of it, but he got some assistance from head coach Brian Kelly.

"They were very impressive and very detailed," Bush said. "There was a lot of interest from them. Wayne has already visited Notre Dame, so as he read the answers to the questions, it helped Wayne refer more to what he saw and helped get a better feel for the new coaching staff. By Coach Elston just using those questions, Wayne has a better idea of how Coach Kelly's philosophy is going to fit in with what he was already introduced to at Notre Dame. Even part of the questions Coach Kelly answered himself, and they did a really good job, and it's a really good school."

Some schools didn't fare so well.

"Yes, there have been a few," Bush said. "There were some schools that did not reply back. Not many, only a handful."

"The school I choose, I want it to be a good school degree-wise, graduation-rate-wise, good winning prestige, program prestige, coaching prestige, and playing time is also going to factor in."

Besides Notre Dame, Lyons has taken visits to Florida, where his mother attended school, Stanford, Miami, South Florida, Ohio State and Maryland. This summer, he's hoping to make it out to USC and UCLA, and he hasn't ruled out a second trip to Notre Dame. He camped in South Bend before his junior year.

"If I can't get there during the summer, I'm definitely going there on an official [visit]," Lyons said.

The previous Notre Dame coaching staff offered Lyons on Sept. 1, the first day high school juniors could be formally extended a written full ride. The new staff got its hands on Lyons' film, and it's been a collective effort led by Elston to recruit him.

"I've talked to the whole staff," Lyons said. "They're all up-tempo and excited about the season. I'm impressed with them.

"Coach Kelly was real excited about me, and he said I could come in and make plays. He saw my film and said I'd have a great chance to come in early and play.

"[Defensive backs] coach [Chuck] Martin was saying pretty much the same stuff. He was saying he could play me at cornerback because I have the footwork and cover skills to play one-on-one, and he said I could play in the box and come up and support the run, and I could also be a deep safety and play broad."
                                                                                More at the link
                                                                                This post brought to you by the IE 2013 Fantasy Football, Fantasy Basketball, and Fantasy Baseball Champion. (Congrats to Junkhead for the 2013 College Fantasy Football Championship).

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  Alabama, Notre Dame covet blue-chip student athlete Wayne Lyons - Andy Staples - SI.com

SI finally picked up on Lyons. He seems like the prototypical Notre Dame student-athlete. He would be a massive pull.

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    Wanted him bad before I read that, now it will hurt really bad if we don't get him. Great kid, great mom, wherever he goes they are lucky.
                                                                                    My hero, the one, the only, Brian Scalabrine

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      5.0 GPA? I hope he doesn't pull a Myron Rolle and go to a completely inferior academic school like FSU.
                                                                                      sigpic

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        Originally posted by IrishInFL View Post
                                                                                        5.0 GPA? I hope he doesn't pull a Myron Rolle and go to a completely inferior academic school like FSU.
                                                                                        I would not be overly surprised to see this happen. Rolle went to F$U so he could graduate in three years and become a Rhodes scholar.

Lyons has family connections to Florida, and I would not be at all surprised to see him go there to try and do something similar.

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          The major obstacle for Lyons is distance and weather. I hope Academics and Early PT can outweigh them.
                                                                                          2011 Irish Envy Fantasy Football Champion

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            Lets hope his not a Myron Rolle..

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              Originally posted by DirtySecret View Post
                                                                                              Lets hope his not a Myron Rolle..
                                                                                              a Rhodes Scholar?

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                Originally posted by jason_h537 View Post
                                                                                                a Rhodes Scholar?
                                                                                                I'm guessing he met... a Rhodes Scholar that goes to a school where most of the athletes don't even know how to spell "scholar"...

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  Originally posted by FightingIrishLover7 View Post
                                                                                                  I'm guessing he met... a Rhodes Scholar that goes to a school where most of the athletes don't even know how to spell "scholar"...
                                                                                                  well played

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    Originally posted by jason_h537 View Post
                                                                                                    a Rhodes Scholar?
                                                                                                    With respect to Myron Rolle, I never could figure out why he chose FSU other than he liked the climate, or simply wanted to be a very big academic fish in a scholastically challenged pond.

Originally posted by FightingIrishLover7 View Post

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X