Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'10 HI WDE Kona Schwenke (Notre Dame Signee)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '10 HI WDE Kona Schwenke (Notre Dame Signee)

Kahuku, Hawaii Kahuku HS

Ht: 6-4.5
    Wt: 241
    40: 4.7
    Bench:
    Squat:
    GPA:
    ACT:

Stats:

Honors: Hawaii/Polynesia-Mainland Bowl

Ranking:
    Rivals: , # 34 WDE, Rating 5.7
    Scout: , # 33 DE
    ESPN: , # 61 DE, Rating 78

Offers:
    Notre Dame (OV 1/29/10)
    Washington

BYU (Committed 7/11; BYU pulled scholarship 1/28 due to ND OV)
    Arizona
    Hawaii
    Oregon St
    Colorado
    San Diego St
    Utah
    UNLV
    Wyoming

ND Recruiter:

Decision: Feb 3 NSD
    Last edited by The Polish Irishman; 02-03-2010, 04:43 PM.

I like his first name, Kona. Only weighs 217 but has a 6-5 frame for Longo to groom.

Will visit ND this weekend.

ND may becoming BYU East

Comment

Well if he has decent speed, Kona could be a rushing OLB.
      sigpic

Comment

I like it....

Comment

Go get those somoans!!!! I like it alot. This weekend is gonna be friggin awesome.

Comment

Hawaii DE Schwenke Will Visit ND This Weekend

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=0 width="98%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=3>http://notredame.scout.com/a.z?s=109&p=2&c=941533&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a% 2f%2fnotredame.scout.com%2f2%2f941533.html
            </TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#ffffff vAlign=top>

</TD><TD width=3 noWrap></TD><TD vAlign=top><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>var author = escape("Jeff Baumhower");</SCRIPT>By Jeff Baumhower (Premium Article)

Jan 27

Notre Dame continues to add to their weekend visitors list, as IrishEyes has learned that defensive end Kona Schwenke from Kahuku High School (Hawaii) will make an official visit to South Bend. Schwenke will is currently committed to BYU, but has recently started to look at other options

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Comment

This is awesome!!! (Are you guys going to censor this sentence too?)

Comment

better watch all the possible commits this weekend and not have enough for the big guys ( henderson, james, furgy and/or jones. i think 2-3 of these guys are a possibility.

Comment

I think James is all we will get, per ESPN sources

Comment

Originally posted by IrishAddiction View Post
                    Go get those somoans!!!! I like it alot. This weekend is gonna be friggin awesome.
                    100% Agree...

Samoans play with a ridiculous amount of intensity. The more Samoans the merrier I am.

Can't wait to see what the final recruiting class looks like.

Comment

It probably speaks more to our chances with those guys......realistically we might get one of those kids.

So which airline will begin running the direct flight from Honolulu to South Bend? I like the Hawaii connection!!!!

Comment

If we could get Ioane, Massa, Bourbon, Spond, Debrock, and of course Schwenke, that would be one hell of a weekend.

Comment

Hahaha, i don't mind the Hawaiin connection either. I have high hopes for Toma this season.

Comment

Originally posted by SoJerseyIrish View Post
                            It probably speaks more to our chances with those guys......realistically we might get one of those kids.

So which airline will begin running the direct flight from Honolulu to South Bend? I like the Hawaii connection!!!!
                            And that ONE: Christian Jones please. Thank you.

Comment

Incorrect, it's Matt James

Comment

Holy crap Kona SCHWENKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I coached against his team a few years ago. Kona is tall and lean but amazingly strong. Really explosive... With his long reach he was able to block alot of passes and FG attempts. Kona played DE for Kahuku. They ran a modified 3-4/4-3. I really thought he was a BYU lock so his visit to ND comes as a big shocker.

Kona's D end teammate Haouli JAMORA is another stud. He was the Hawaii defensive player of the year. I believe he is commited to Washington though.

GO get em Coach Kelly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Somoan? Schwenke's got ancestors in der Fatherland.

Does that make him a Blitzkregin' Somoan?

Comment

YouTube - Kona Schwenke: Kahuku (HI) Kahuku High School Highlights (2010)

HIGHLIGHTS

Comment

Originally posted by BGIF View Post
                                      Somoan? Schwenke's got ancestors in der Fatherland.

Does that make him a Blitzkregin' Somoan?
                                      Lol...... im an idiot. Kinda only read the first name and got excited, seen he played in the Hawaii/Polynesia-Mainland bowl, seen the Hawaii, and only read the first name. Got a little excited. Schwenke would make a good somoan name right? :-)

Comment

Kahuku, Hawaii is on the northern tip of Oahu. About 5 or 10 miles from where the movie "South Pacific" was filmed. It's a small town less than 2.5 sq miles and 2000 people.

HawaiianIrish, I'm assuming this is a small school with not necessarily the toughest competition. Can you expound on the competition?

Comment

Lol...... im an idiot. Kinda only read the first name and got excited, seen he played in the Hawaii/Polynesia-Mainland bowl, seen the Hawaii, and only read the first name. Got a little excited. Schwenke would make a good somoan name right? :-)
                                          From his Scout photo, the kid looks Polynesian to me (jason will probably pounce on me for profiling).

Comment

Kahuku plays in the OIA Red Division (Div 1). Kahuku plays against Hawaiian power house teams such as Farrington (VJ FEHOKO) Castle, and Kailua. Each year Kahuku will play Punahou. Kahuku is stacked so they normally beat the crap out of other teams but lately the big red machines offense has been sputtering. Kahuku's Defense was one of the best in the state. Kahuku's D line was awesome, esp with Kona and Hauoi Jamora at end. Both are big time prospects.

Kahuku is a small town and the High Schools enrollment is about 1200 students. Football is everything in Kahuku. The town shuts down on game days.

Really beautiful town with a strong mormon population.

2 Notre Dame players TOMA and TEO are from that area (Laie)

Comment

if you all wanna check out Hawaii High School football games check out OC16.TV - SPORTS

Comment

Originally posted by vernfootball1 View Post
                                                If we could get Ioane, Massa, Bourbon, Spond, Debrock, and of course Schwenke, that would be one hell of a weekend.
                                                That would be great... BUT

Adding one of the following: Matt James, J.R. Ferguson, Christian Jones, or Seantrel Henderson would be JAW DROPPING!

Kelly will hopefully pull of some late fireworks and future recruiting classes will continue to get better.

Comment

Originally posted by WeisWeisBaby
                                                  Please only talk about Kona Schwenke, this is HIS thread... if you interrupt it again we will have to censor you
                                                  You have some nerve...

I was agreeing with a previous poster who mentioned Kona already, and then I added more to it... So technically I was relevant to this thread.

So you can shut up now... Ok? Thanks!

Comment

weis

you haven't posted anything relevent. all you are doing is annoying people. some people are here to read what people know or think about certain recruits, not what stupid stuff that your fingers type. sorry guys, just had to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by FightingIrishLover7 View Post
                                                      You have some nerve...

I was agreeing with a previous poster who mentioned Kona already, and then I added more to it... So technically I was relevant to this thread.

So you can shut up now... Ok? Thanks!
                                                      Yes you were referring to Kona, if we could add the ones i mentioned and Matt james and possibly Henderson, Jones, or Ego that would be insane

Comment

I agree, if we can land all those kids it would be amazing

Comment

Originally posted by WeisWeisBaby
                                                          Your response was talking about other recruits, nothing about Kona... learn to read please, and keep threads relevant, OKAY!
                                                          Yea dude seriously, I just want to read what other people have to say, stop commenting about stuff that nobody cares about, this is Kona's thread, nobody wants to read your stuff about how someone's posts are not pertaining to this thread and you just try to piss them off.

To Hawaiian Irish: because you have seen him play, does he end up as a 3-4 de or olb

Comment

Originally posted by lovetheirish View Post
                                                            better watch all the possible commits this weekend and not have enough for the big guys ( henderson, james, furgy and/or jones. i think 2-3 of these guys are a possibility.
                                                            We have 10 open spots now if we choose to fill them all

Comment

cool wasn't sure how many schollies we had to give

Comment

Originally posted by vernfootball1 View Post
                                                                Yea dude seriously, I just want to read what other people have to say, stop commenting about stuff that nobody cares about, this is Kona's thread, nobody wants to read your stuff about how someone's posts are not pertaining to this thread and you just try to piss them off.

To Hawaiian Irish: because you have seen him play, does he end up as a 3-4 de or olb
                                                                Aloha Vern,

Kona could play both.. He is athletic enough to play OLB in a 3-4 or he could add some weight and play DE. If i were the coach i would put him on the training table and tell him to eat as much as he wants.. I would play him at DE..

Comment

FROM SPORTS ILLUSTRATED:

It's sometimes easy to forget about talented players in Hawaii, but this year college coaches searching for the next big thing from the Islands have flocked to the state to check out prime-time recruits such as linebacker V.J. Fehoko, offensive tackle Micah Hatchie, defensive tackle Graham Rowley and fullback Dustin Elisara.

But coaches are starting to whisper four-star defensive end Kona Schwenke, of Kahuku High, might be the best of all.

After an impressive showing at the Nike Training Camp in Palo Alto, Calif., the 6-foot-5, 215-pound Schwenke has become one of the nation's hottest targets. He has received scholarship offers from BYU, Colorado, Oregon State, San Diego State, UNLV, Utah, Hawaii and Washington.

"The Nike Camp went good, and I got to go up against some of the top linemen in the country," Schwenke said. "It really gave me a great chance to test myself against some of the nation's best players. I know I did well and impressed a lot of people."

At this point, BYU, Hawaii, Utah, Oregon State and Washington are his top teams. Schwenke is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and would like to go on a mission after he completes high school.

"I need to find coaches that understand that," he said. "The coaches will be huge in my decision. I need to be with coaches that'll help me get to the next level after college, and also appreciate my faith and support whatever decision I make with my mission."

So far, coaches have been receptive to that idea.

"I've kept in touch with BYU and Washington the most," Schwenke said. "I'm supposed to talk to the Utah coach soon. I haven't given him a call yet. I really like those three schools. I like the coaches at BYU and I'm a Mormon, so I'd like to stay active while I'm in school.

"I've never really researched Washington, but their coaches are cool and I like how they treat their players. I hope to learn a lot about Utah, too, when I talk to them."

Playing at Hawaii isn't out of the question, either.

"I talk to the Hawaii coaches, but I'm fine with going away," he said. "I just need to go on my mission first."

Schwenke doesn't have a true timeline on his decision. But he knows with the pressure of being one of the West's best and his pending mission, it might be best to get it done before the season starts.

"My dad wants me to narrow the schools down to a top five," he said. "From there, that'll make it easier to make the final choice."
                                                                  Read More: Kona Schwenke, West Virginia making waves on 2010 recruiting scene - NCAA Football - SI.com
                                                                  Last edited by NDinL.A.; 01-27-2010, 05:46 PM. Reason: I put it in quotes

Comment

Originally posted by HawaiianIrish View Post
                                                                    Holy crap Kona SCHWENKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I coached against his team a few years ago. Kona is tall and lean but amazingly strong. Really explosive... With his long reach he was able to block alot of passes and FG attempts. Kona played DE for Kahuku. They ran a modified 3-4/4-3. I really thought he was a BYU lock so his visit to ND comes as a big shocker.

Kona's D end teammate Haouli JAMORA is another stud. He was the Hawaii defensive player of the year. I believe he is commited to Washington though.

GO get em Coach Kelly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                                                    Hawaiian, do you think this kid would be a DE or an OLB/rush end in our system? From the film, he seems to have great speed and a very good motor, but looks a bit raw in terms of technique.

Comment

Originally posted by BirdmanND06 View Post
                                                                      Hawaiian, do you think this kid would be a DE or an OLB/rush end in our system? From the film, he seems to have great speed and a very good motor, but looks a bit raw in terms of technique.
                                                                      haha, whoops, just saw that earlier post. nevermind...

Comment

I agree that he looks raw especially with technique, but he is probably getting by on strength and speed alone in HS. He looked a little slow on the snap in a few plays too but I like the build.....put 40-50 on this kid and it might be interesting......

Comment

Officially offered per Scout ad ISD
                                                                          Last edited by Big23Head; 01-27-2010, 11:38 PM.

Comment

wow this kid is light for 6'5. Haven't heard of this kid so i'll let Hawaiin Irish fill me in

Comment

• #39
                                                                              Originally posted by WeisWeisBaby View Post
                                                                              This is awesome!!! (Are you guys going to censor this sentence too?)

http://www.x-h2o.com/photoplog/image...ic_estrada.jpg
                                                                              Yeah, I brought back the side piece of ass thanks to ulukinatme.

Comment

• #40
                                                                                HawaiianIrish is slowly becoming the most beloved member on this site haha. Cheers mate

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  BYU will pull his offer, now it is between ND and Washington

Scout.com: BYU to Pull Offer to Schwenke

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    Bronco M. is an ass is BYU. He comments about Manti when he dropped BYU showed his true character
                                                                                    2011 Irish Envy Fantasy Football Champion

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      Hope BYU does pull his offer, it'll only cement our position with this prospect. Watched some film on the kids from the Island state and they look great, especially Ioane.
                                                                                      Just believe.

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        Coach Bronco what a Jack A$$ ... . Let the boy do as he wishes. I mean really can you actually pull and offer once a kid commits to your school?? BYU is a really good school and BS like this idiot head coach is really starting to piss off a lot of Alumni (My neighbors are all cougar grads)

Maybe BYU is pissed that the rest of the nation is tapping into thier Hawaiian Recruits or maybe the local boys are realizing that BYU Football is full of crap.........

Maybe BYU is still pissed at Notre Dame for stealing Manti away from Provo. The most high profile LDS football recruit in decades and BYU could not land him.....

KONA come to ND where you will be loved and accepted. ...

The choice is yours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!
                                                                                        Last edited by BGIF; 01-29-2010, 02:33 PM. Reason: The religious color commentary is inappropriate.

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          HawiianIrish... Simply the chingon

Right on man. Preach it brotha.

I hope this kid makes it to ND. I think it would help to have kids there with like culture for finding family away from home.

The whole team is family, but the social gravity of culture isn't a constant. Social gravity is increased as like folks come nearby. This makes it easier to be 3000 miles from mom and pop.

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            He is visiting ND then immediately going to UW. His teammate committed to UW. It will be interesting both ND and UW have recent Hawaiian players for influence.

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              We need D Lineman. lets hope things go our way. ( i miss you leuders)

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                Over on ESPN,
                                                                                                BYU Cougars rescind offer to Hawaiian prep star Kona Schwenke
                                                                                                Three-star defensive lineman Kona Schwenke of Kahuku, Hawaii, who is visiting Notre Dame this weekend, has had his Class of 2010 scholarship offer withdrawn by the Cougars.

Schwenke, who committed to BYU last summer, is also expected to trip to Washington.

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  good news.
                                                                                                  has anyone heard how his, or anyone else's visits went yesterday?

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    No news today. Most of the news will probably come out tomorrow night and monday.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X