Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '10 CO ATH Danny Spond (Notre Dame Man)

Athlete
    Littleton, Colorado
    Columbine High School

Ht: 6-3
    Wt: 232
    40: 4.68
    Shuttle: 4.5
    Vertical: 31.5

Ranking:
    Rivals: ; #22 ATH; Rating 5.8
    Scout: ; #13 MLB
    ESPN: ; #39 ATH; Grade 78

Offers:
    ND (OV 1/29/10 NO Offer)
    Stanford (OV 1/15/10)
    TCU (OV 1/22/10)

Colorado (Decommit 11/28; Commit 4/16)
    Duke
    Wyoming (Camp '09)

ND Recruiter: Alford

Decision: 2/1/10 Notre Dame
    Last edited by The Polish Irishman; 02-01-2010, 11:53 AM. Reason: Verbal
    2011 Irish Envy Fantasy Football Champion

Recently decommited from CU. Has a visit setup for Stanford on 1-15-10. Could visit ND on Jan. 22nd. The weekend of the 22nd could be a big recruiting weekend for the Irish.

Blue-chips' departure leaves CU, CSU feeling blue - The Denver Post

YouTube - Danny Spond (Football)

Comment

Saw this yesterday, seems like a pretty good player.

Comment

Originally posted by The Polish Irishman View Post
        Recently decommited from CU. Has a visit setup for Stanford on 1-15-10. Could visit ND on Jan. 22nd. The weekend of the 22nd could be a big recruiting weekend for the Irish.

Blue-chips' departure leaves CU, CSU feeling blue - The Denver Post

YouTube - Danny Spond (Football)
        How do you justify this a big recruiting week? I understand if Kelly is making a push for guys like Riley and Henderson, but a guy like Danny Spond is far from a big recruiting week.

Comment

The 22nd being a weekend where he can host multiple recruits before Signing Day. Henderson is a pipe dream.

Also, don't let his offer list fool you. This kid can play. Committed early to CU, many schools did not recruit him because they thought he was a CU lock, but after this season he changed his mind.

Comment

The 22nd being a weekend where he can host multiple recruits before Signing Day. Henderson is a pipe dream.

Also, don't let his offer list fool you. This kid can play. Committed early to CU, many schools did not recruit him because they thought he was a CU lock, but after this season he changed his mind.
            what 17 year old is a lock? Martin?
            Irishfern

Comment

I see the hosting more recruits, but the fact is Kelly is trying to sell an unfinish product. He has only 1 position coach on his staff(Alford) as of now. Secondly, I don't buy the "he was a lock so other school gave up on him" everybody thought Bryce Brown was a Miami lock but did that stop other schools? All I see from that flim is him playing the QB position more than anything which I'm not that impressed. What position is being looked at? We already 2 top QB coming in.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtySecret View Post
                I see the hosting more recruits, but the fact is Kelly is trying to sell an unfinish product. He has only 1 position coach on his staff(Alford) as of now. Secondly, I don't buy the "he was a lock so other school gave up on him" everybody thought Bryce Brown was a Miami lock but did that stop other schools? All I see from that flim is him playing the QB position more than anything which I'm not that impressed. What position is being looked at? We already 2 top QB coming in.
                Do you really think by Jan 22nd a staff won't be in place? Really?

C'mon, he's going to announce the staff shortly. He's already spilled the beans to a couple recruits. It'l come out FAR ealrier than the 22nd. That weekend is going to be a huge weekend for recruiting, whether you want to believe it or not as many who haven't taken their OV's (i.e. Matt James) will use that weekend to do it and meet the new coaching staff.
                sigpic Silence implies consent.

Comment

Originally posted by NDinL.A. View Post
                  Do you really think by Jan 22nd a staff won't be in place? Really?

C'mon, he's going to announce the staff shortly. He's already spilled the beans to a couple recruits. It'l come out FAR ealrier than the 22nd. That weekend is going to be a huge weekend for recruiting, whether you want to believe it or not as many who haven't taken their OV's (i.e. Matt James) will use that weekend to do it and meet the new coaching staff.
                  Sorry that I'm not all over Kelly nuts in recruiting like some others on this board. Fact is, Kelly is going to fill the holes where he thinks that needs to be filled, but I don't see any top prospects walking through the door this year. Matt James is a great player at a dire position, but that is few far and between I see we'll get besides what we have on board.
                  Last edited by DirtySecret; 12-22-2009, 11:40 AM.

Comment

You do realize this kid is ranked higher than most of our committed recruits

Comment

They need to offer him. I can't stand reading peoples negative opinion all the time about if there stars are high enough.

Comment

You do realize this kid is ranked higher than most of our committed recruits
                        9 players on our team have 5.8 or higher..
                        Last edited by DirtySecret; 12-22-2009, 01:40 PM.

Comment

The kid is big and can run.....hmm I wonder if we could use him???? A 5.8 ranking on Rivals would put him pretty high overall in our class.
                          My hero, the one, the only, Brian Scalabrine

Comment

... All I see from that flim is him playing the QB position more than anything which I'm not that impressed. What position is being looked at? We already 2 top QB coming in.
                            Yes, we already have 2 QBs. Like many HS athletes they play were there team needs them. He's apparently the best QB on his team. Zibikowski was HS QB as was Goodman and Banks. Lots of HS QBs move to other positions in college and do well.

One of Cerrato's best talents was the ability "to see" a HS recruit at another position in college. He and Holtz were very successful at it.

A lot of coaches recruited Tate as a RB which he was. Weis saw a WR and Tate became an All-American.

I don't know where Kelly sees him. Rivals and ESPN rate him as an Athlete. Scout has him as their 10th ranked MLB. Not too shabby. Spond weighed 209 as a Junior at a Combine. Now he weighs 232. Today he's probably a LB. Could be a TE. Could very well grow into a DE. Point is he's athletic and available.

Comment

9 players on our team have 5.8 or higher..
                              Yep, and only one is rated higher at 5.9 which means Spond would be the second highest rated player in ND's class.

Notre Dame Commit List for 2010

Shame on The Polish Irishman for saying higher than most when Spond would only be tied for 2nd place in the class.

Comment

Originally posted by BGIF View Post
                                Yes, we already have 2 QBs. Like many HS athletes they play were there team needs them. He's apparently the best QB on his team. Zibikowski was HS QB as was Goodman and Banks. Lots of HS QBs move to other positions in college and do well.

One of Cerrato's best talents was the ability "to see" a HS recruit at another position in college. He and Holtz were very successful at it.

A lot of coaches recruited Tate as a RB which he was. Weis saw a WR and Tate became an All-American.

I don't know where Kelly sees him. Rivals and ESPN rate him as an Athlete. Scout has him as their 10th ranked MLB. Not too shabby. Spond weighed 209 as a Junior at a Combine. Now he weighs 232. Today he's probably a LB. Could be a TE. Could very well grow into a DE. Point is he's athletic and available.
                                To sit here and jump for joy saying ND needs to offer him when his film is far from impressive, I just don't see it. With his size I'd offer him at a DE position and than turn around and go after Barr as a runningback. With so much RB depth Kelly could run a Chip Kelly type spread. A 2 back pound the ball spread system with over the top assault. Than I'd ride the Kelly wagon but until than, I just don't see anything impressive with this recruit, there are plenty recruits like Spond out there.

Comment

Sorry that I'm not all over Kelly nuts in recruiting like some others on this board. Fact is, Kelly is going to fill the holes where he thinks that needs to be filled, but I don't see any top prospects walking through the door this year. Matt James is a great player at a dire position, but that is few far and between I see we'll get besides what we have on board.
                                  So what's your point? Do you realize how difficult it is to recruit after a coaching change, especially one in which the staff had forged very close relationships with all the recruits? I highly doubt you do.

Let me ask you this: Do you think Meyer is a great recruiter and football coach? How about Nick Saban. Aside from Poodle, those 2 are generally regarded as the top 2 coaches in college football today. Do you want to know how many 5 star recruits they signed their first recruiting season on the job combined? ZERO. You want to know how many 2 stars they combined to sign? THREE. They both signed far more 3 stars than they did 4 stars. So...how do you think they turned out?

I'm not saying you have to worship everything Kelly does. But at least take a step back and let him do his job. Guys like you have questioned everything he does regarding recruiting (not calling recruits, not enough of a personality, ignoring certain recruits), and everything questioned of him has been answered by the recruits themselves, all of whom have had nothing but great things to say about him. None of us know what he is doing behind the scenes, but yet people still rip him for everything they THINK he does or doesn't do. Ridiculous.

mbeckha: They need to offer him. I can't stand reading peoples negative opinion all the time about if there stars are high enough.
                                  A poster on ISD who knows him said his family told him he got an ND offer last week. That's far from a reliable source, but it's December, and we're not in a bowl game, so I'm grasping at straws here for ND news LOL...

Comment

One more thing: Dirty Secret, you talked about him not having a staff in place by the 22nd of January, which I said was ridiculous. Well, he said in an interview that he already has both coordinators lined up. I haven't read the whole thing but I believe he's awaiting to announce the entire staff at the same time...

Comment

How do you justify this a big recruiting week? I understand if Kelly is making a push for guys like Riley and Henderson, but a guy like Danny Spond is far from a big recruiting week.

Due to ND winters, historically ND has recruits on campus during the season or for the Banquet. The coaching change put a kaboosh on the Banquet as a recruiting tool. So seeing how there are few weekends left in this recruiting year, if one recruit was hosted it would be a "big" weekend.

Comment

x2.

Love this kid. My aunt's daughter and son go to Columbine and they have nothing but great things to say about the kid. I'm pumped... hopefully the rumor about him getting an offer is true.

Comment

Originally posted by NDinL.A. View Post
                                          So what's your point? Do you realize how difficult it is to recruit after a coaching change, especially one in which the staff had forged very close relationships with all the recruits? I highly doubt you do.

Let me ask you this: Do you think Meyer is a great recruiter and football coach? How about Nick Saban. Aside from Poodle, those 2 are generally regarded as the top 2 coaches in college football today. Do you want to know how many 5 star recruits they signed their first recruiting season on the job combined? ZERO. You want to know how many 2 stars they combined to sign? THREE. They both signed far more 3 stars than they did 4 stars. So...how do you think they turned out?

I'm not saying you have to worship everything Kelly does. But at least take a step back and let him do his job. Guys like you have questioned everything he does regarding recruiting (not calling recruits, not enough of a personality, ignoring certain recruits), and everything questioned of him has been answered by the recruits themselves, all of whom have had nothing but great things to say about him. None of us know what he is doing behind the scenes, but yet people still rip him for everything they THINK he does or doesn't do. Ridiculous.

A poster on ISD who knows him said his family told him he got an ND offer last week. That's far from a reliable source, but it's December, and we're not in a bowl game, so I'm grasping at straws here for ND news LOL...
                                          You do realize Meyer and Saban are in the SEC and recruit in the SEC. Whare a team full of 3* SEC players will get you by for a year or 2 to fill holes. They're athletic, faster, and don't have to worry about a high standard. Kind of a bad example to use when both Saban and Meyer have hell a lot more leeway than a coach who coaches at ND.

Comment

You do realize Meyer and Saban are in the SEC and recruit in the SEC. Whare a team full of 3* SEC players will get you by for a year or 2 to fill holes. They're athletic, faster, and don't have to worry about a high standard. Kind of a bad example to use when both Saban and Meyer have hell a lot more leeway than a coach who coaches at ND.
                                            Are you serious??? Did you really just say that a team full of 3 star athletes will get you by for a year or 2 in the SEC??? Is that why Vanderbilt and Kentucky are crushing it with their 3 stars?

My example was fine. A coach at Alabama doesn't have a helluva lot more leeway than ND. He has more, but not that much more. Those people want to win just as badly as we do, believe me, and they put TONS of pressure on their coaches. Please. The point is that those guys are damn good coaches and damn good recruiters, and even they couldn't get 5 star guys their first year. You expecting Kelly to be above the best recruiters and coaches in the game is ridiculous and ignorant. He's been on the job 2 friggin' weeks and you're already talking shit. He has still has a chance at a couple of studs but that doesn't matter...to you he's not doing his job. That's completely ridiculous...

Comment

Well I understand the concerns by everyone and people make good points. But regardless how about we give Kelly a chance with these guys and see how he does instead of this back and forth stuff. Things are just fine

Comment

Deleted.

This is a recruit's profile. Discussing what position he plays is appropos here. Arguing about "big weekends", parsing the number of 5.8 ratings, and the majority of your posts here have nothing to do with this recruit.

You've been indulged enough here. Desist in this thread. Take your coaching/recruiting whine to a general recruiting thread.
                                                Last edited by BGIF; 12-22-2009, 04:04 PM. Reason: This is a Recruit's Profile. Post accordingly.

Comment

Kentucky
                                                  06 7-5(plus bowl win)
                                                  07 7-5
                                                  08 7-5 (plus bowl win)
                                                  09 7-5

that 4 years straight with a .500 win percentage in the SEC. Can ND say the same?
                                                  Nope, and I must say...thank you for making my point for me. ND can't say the same...THAT'S WHY WE HIRED BRIAN KELLY. That's the whole point...he's a proven winner taking over a losing program, and in less than 2 weeks you're already ripping him. Think about it.

ANyways, this is a recruit's page. In about an hour BGIF will come here and delete all these messages, and if he doesn't, I will. I'll give you time to read this; respond to it in a recruiting or football thread but NOT HERE. ...
                                                  Last edited by BGIF; 12-22-2009, 04:39 PM. Reason: Edited last paragraph in red.

Comment

Take it to a general recruiting or football thread
                                                    Last edited by BGIF; 12-22-2009, 04:37 PM. Reason: This is a recruit's profile thread

Comment

Ok ok take heed this is Danny Spond's recruiting profile.

He looks like he could be an asset down the road. Big LB or DE down the road. First week of January will be interesting.

Comment

Any possibility this kid could playe safety? He seems agile enough.

And is it that the same Columbine that had the shooting? If yes, that's kinda eerie for reasons I can't explain haha.

Comment

Originally posted by GOLDENISTHYTATE View Post
                                                          Any possibility this kid could playe safety? He seems agile enough.

And is it that the same Columbine that had the shooting? If yes, that's kinda eerie for reasons I can't explain haha.
                                                          Safety is one of the positions the recruiting services mentioned but if he's 232 as a HS Senior chances are his growing isn't over and he will outgrow that position - soon. He'd have to freeze his weight or lose some to play safety. And Scout notes his pass coverage as a weakness. Here's their comments:

Spond is an intriguing prospect. At 6-3 230, he has the size to line up anywhere from QB, FB, LB, S or even DE or H-back but plays QB on offense on a team that doesn't throw the ball much. Plays linebacker on defense which could end up being his spot in college. Has great size and can really run for a kid this big. Closes on the ball well and will tackle with authority.

Comment

I think there's a chance that if he's been offered, it might be a backup plan in case Hendrix changes his mind on ND.
                                                            "If you're afraid of competition, maybe you shouldn't come to Notre Dame." -Brian Kelly

Comment

Originally posted by IrishFan1277 View Post
                                                              I think there's a chance that if he's been offered, it might be a backup plan in case Hendrix changes his mind on ND.
                                                              First let me laugh at this for a minute. Now let me explain that in no way are we looking at him for quaterback. That was pretty funny though.

Comment

I don't think so. He plays for a HS team that doesn't throw the ball much. I'd think he'd make a run at Luke Massa first. Massa verballed to UC but had an interest in ND. Rees will be here and Banks was a HS QB more suited to Kelly's offense at QB than he was Weis's.

Comment

Originally posted by mbeckha View Post
                                                                  First let me laugh at this for a minute. Now let me explain that in no way are we looking at him for quaterback. That was pretty funny though.
                                                                  Tebow II, Tebow II, Tebow II, Tebow II, Tebow II......

Comment

Like Barr...This kid looks like a potentially ideal 3-4 OLB. I hope we get him.

Comment

Per Scouts he is visiting ND on Jan 29th, right before NSD.
                                                                      "If you're afraid of competition, maybe you shouldn't come to Notre Dame." -Brian Kelly

Comment

He's also visiting Stanford on 1/15 and TCU on 1/22. Neither ND nor TCU have offered yet according to Scout.

Comment

Originally posted by JefMaj View Post
                                                                          Tebow II, Tebow II, Tebow II, Tebow II, Tebow II......
                                                                          Lets be serious/

Comment

If we were serious... Tebow wouldn't be a name known in 2009... cost Florida a chance at the NC and had numbers that wouldn't make people placed him in the top 40 QB's... I was being sarcastic... He won a NC last year... he was on a team that won one in 2006... and he waon the Heisman in 2007... the Heisman is becoming meaningless... case in point: Tebow as invited. Had he QB'd any other 12-1 team in the country and had his 2009 numbers alone.... you wouldn't know his name.

Comment

• #39
                                                                              LOVE THIS. I always love having the lost shot at landing a guy. ND will be fresh in his mind come NSD.

Comment

• #40
                                                                                Originally posted by WabashFalcon View Post
                                                                                ... I always love having the lost shot ...
                                                                                I bet you do.

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  Not to go off topic, but anyone look at this kid's high school and think....damn. that was a long time ago.
                                                                                  The yellow mustard pants are hideous and have to go.

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    South Bend Tribune: Notre Dame football: Crist doing his part to woo QB recruit Hendrix

1/2/10 Eric Hansen

The first prospect to schedule an official visit to ND with Kelly as the head coach is Danny Spond, a 6-3, 232-pound multi-position prospect from Columbine High School in Littleton, Colo.

Spond, who prefers to play quarterback but is open to playing other positions, is scheduled to visit ND the weekend of Jan. 29.

Lemming likes Spond, originally a Colorado commit, at linebacker. The other schools in his new final three are Stanford and TCU
                                                                                    Somebody mentioned Kelly possibly looking at Spond as a QB and I disagreed. Apparently Spond disagrees with me.

Stanford had a QB verbal decommit this past week as he hadn't been cleared by Stanford Admissions. They have an opening.
                                                                                    Last edited by BGIF; 01-04-2010, 10:51 AM.

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      They have Luck QB'ing Stanford for the next two years, and a blue chipper waiting in the wings in Josh Nunes. I also think they have another QB committed to their class. If Spond intends to play QB, Stanford is not the place. Now ifhe wants to be realistic and see that he could be a fantastic OLB, come on down and don the Blue and Gold

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        Danny was OFFERED today, his OV is 1/29/10 to ND

Danny Spond - Yahoo! Sports

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          Originally posted by Big23Head View Post
                                                                                          Danny was OFFERED today, his OV is 1/29/10 to ND

Danny Spond - Yahoo! Sports
                                                                                          Thats great news for ND! Kid looks like a hell of an athlete i would be glad to have him on board.

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            Good move Kelly

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              TCU has now offered as well according to rivals.

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                Hopefully they can make a sweet offer to him to lure him to South bend. Come on Kelly we know you can do it.
                                                                                                Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  Originally posted by irishff1014 View Post
                                                                                                  Hopefully they can make a sweet offer to him to lure him to South bend. Come on Kelly we know you can do it.
                                                                                                  What sweet offer would you be speaking of? We can offer a free education from one of the finest Universities in the country. Should there be more?

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    Originally posted by HereComeTheIrish View Post
                                                                                                    What sweet offer would you be speaking of? We can offer a free education from one of the finest Universities in the country. ...
                                                                                                    He's got that sweet offer!

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X