Stanford
    Bowling Green
    Central Michigan
    Miami (OH)

Links of Interest
    Article: Rees goes with gut, picks Irish
    IrishIllustrated.com - Irish add second QB
    Last edited by BGIF; 01-07-2010, 01:07 PM. Reason: '09 stats

Seems like where starting to reach a bit doesn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by jason_h537 View Post
      Seems like where starting to reach a bit doesn't it?
      Depends on perspective. Hendrix is the only outstanding offer isn't he?

ND better be reaching if they're are going to fill two QB slots this year. I'd expect a disparity in talent level if two are taken.

ND watched Thomas throw and didn't offer. Montana opted to UW early in the week. If ND was desparate wouldn't they have offered Thomas? There were 6-8 other names mentioned during May.

Rees, Rettig, Massa, and Robinson are coming to camp to make their claim. There could be other QB campers. Doesn't it make sense to study them in camp then watch their senior year for progress?
      Last edited by BGIF; 06-14-2009, 01:07 AM.

Comment

Not trying to knock these kids. Rettig is really the only QB ive seen so i cant say what there potential level is. Just seems this years QB class seems very weak. Hopefully the camp will bring out the best in these kids and at least come away with a reliable QB who can play back up. Montana, Thomas, and Gardner were really the only QB's i liked this year so maybe im just put off by the rest of the quarterbacks.

Comment

Not trying to knock these kids. Rettig is really the only QB ive seen so i cant say what there potential level is. Just seems this years QB class seems very weak. Hopefully the camp will bring out the best in these kids and at least come away with a reliable QB who can play back up. Montana, Thomas, and Gardner were really the only QB's i liked this year so maybe im just put off by the rest of the quarterbacks.
          It doesn't read as a knock. The services have commented that it is a thin QB class. There's at least two of them Massa and I think Robinson that missed most of last season due to injuries. So they're lagging in the stat department that generates early offers. They may have to wait to until fall to show they can make a cut and throw off that knee/ankle and take a hit.

On the other hand with a thin class how long to you gamble on waiting.

Do you wait for Hendrix to make up his mind or do you offer anyway?

Comment

Qtrbk. status

IMO, we wait on Hendrix and if unsuccessful in getting him, we forgo a qtrbk. for the 10 class. Next year, we should have lots of opportunity for a 4 or 5*...that is, if we don't piddle around on the offers.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish52 View Post
              IMO, we wait on Hendrix and if unsuccessful in getting him, we forgo a qtrbk. for the 10 class. Next year, we should have lots of opportunity for a 4 or 5*...that is, if we don't piddle around on the offers.
              CAN'T miss QB two classes in a row. Last year when we missed we said "wait until next year." Next year is not guaranteed. We need one at least.

What happens if Clausen leaves after this year, then crist gets hurt?

Then this board goes into meltdown mode on "why didn't we take another QB?"

Comment

You need another scholarship QB. This is not enitrely about who has got next after Crist, this is also about having a reliable third and even fourth string quarterback on the roster. We want to be a program that reloads not one that has to replace.

Comment

Originally posted by Synoptico View Post
                  CAN'T miss QB two classes in a row. Last year when we missed we said "wait until next year." Next year is not guaranteed. We need one at least.

What happens if Clausen leaves after this year, then crist gets hurt?

Then this board goes into meltdown mode on "why didn't we take another QB?"
                  then we watch Montana's son rise to glory

Comment

Originally posted by tko View Post
                    then we watch Montana's son rise to glory
                    Or tumble in flames.

Do you really want to bank Notre Dame football on a nonscholarship player?

Any argument that he is good just because of his dad is false. Children of stars rarely amount to what their parents have.

I personally would rather never know what Montana can do. He has the chance to prove he is worthy of playing time everyday in practice. There is a reason is isnt on scholarship. People keep saying he will be our next Rudy, but let's be realistic people. How many nonscholarship players in college football make a big impact?

How many people would want a non scholarship QB starting?

People only like him because of his father. He is not Joe.

Comment

Or tumble in flames.

Any argument that he is good just because of his dad is false. Children of stars rarely amount to what their parents have.

I personally would rather never know what Montana can do. He has the chance to prove he is worthy of playing time everyday in practice. There is a reason is isnt on scholarship. People keep saying he will be our next Rudy, but let's be realistic people. How many nonscholarship players in college football make a big impact?

Amen.

"People say he will be our next Rudy, but let's be realistic people."

Let's be. I love the movie, "Rudy". Classic story of triumph over adversity. That said, who here would start a Ruettiger caliber athlete over Ethan Johnson?

Too hypothetical, okay there's a Rudy on the team now, Special Teams uber athlete Mike Anello. Now Anello is listed as CB. Show of hands as to who would start him ahead of McNeill, Walls, Gray, Blanton, Slaughter, Banks, and probably half the safeties? If all of them went down, I could see a RB or WR being moved to CB ahead of Anello starting there.

Nate may improve his game but based upon the Spring Game he's got a long way to go.

Comment

Or tumble in flames.

no, i don't want to see us that deep on the chart. i was tired beyond belief and decided to send that out, my mistake.

Comment

Bill Rees is a star as an NFL scout, so what's your point? Tommy can't be good?

Comment

Originally posted by coachdaspags View Post
                            Bill Rees is a star as an NFL scout, so what's your point? Tommy can't be good?
                            If your post is about the post preceding yours, http://www.irishenvy.com/forums/2010...tml#post291069

I believe they were talking about the Montana's, father and son, not the Rees family. I don't think Rees was discussed past the 3rd post in this thread. I don't think anybody know anything about him other than the info in the opening post.

Comment

I Heard Rees may be in line for an offer very soon. Not positive, but just what I heard.

Comment

Rees is claiming an ND offer...
                                Last edited by NDinL.A.; 07-02-2009, 10:43 AM. Reason: waiting for more confirmation on his offer
                                sigpic Silence implies consent.

Comment

sounds like his offer is almsot official. As well as 3 MAC offers, he also has an offer from Tennessee and an offer from Stanford. My dead grandma also received her offer from Stanford today

Comment

Frank said ND would have an QB offer out shortly
                                    2011 Irish Envy Fantasy Football Champion

Comment

Originally posted by notredomer23 View Post
                                      My dead grandma also received her offer from Stanford today
                                      Is she considered Pro Style or Dual? How many stars per Rivals and Scout?

Comment

Offered per IrishIllustrated

Steve Hare

7/2
                                        Notre Dame Football: IrishIllustrated.com - Notre Dame Football
                                        Throughout the recruiting process Notre Dame has planned to sign two quarterbacks in the recruiting class of 2010. The Irish recently received the verbal commitment of Andrew Hendrix to fill one of those spots. Now, following an outstanding camp performance, they have extended a scholarship offer to Tommy Rees of Lake Forest, Ill.

Comment

Here's an OLD article 5/29/09

5/29/08 Central Michigan offers QB Tommy Rees posted by Kyle Warber

Tommy Rees dad is Bill Rees former Cleveland Brown Director of Player Personnel and former UCLA coach. Among players evaluated by Rees is a QB named Brady Quinn.

He could be an athletic pocket passer. He can move around and get out of trouble. He is a very accurate passer with arm ability. He can throw with touch and velocity and can throw deep. A college coach must ask: 'Does he fit into what we are doing?
                                          Apparently Charlie Weis sees Rees fitting into his offense!

Tommy would like an offer from UCLA ("Dream School") where his dad coached. He's comfortable staying in the Midwest playing for a MAC school but wants to play with the big dogs.

Tommy Rees on the MAC and BCS conferences:
                                          The MAC is a great conference. They've produced a lot of great quarterbacks. But I also feel I have the ability and competitive drive to play in a BCS conference. I don't doubt it at all.

Comment

Umm... Nate Davis. Ben Rothlisberger. Lafeaver. Terrible Spelling. Any others?

Comment

Chad Pennington, Byron Leftwich (In college at least)

Comment

yea we'll see, he has an offer and its legit! Besides we all know he's beyond ND's level. Theres no way your dead grandma got an offer from stanford we asked! They want Tommy!

Coachdaspags much love peas out crackalackas

Comment

yea we'll see, he has an offer and its legit! Besides we all know he's beyond ND's level. Theres no way your dead grandma got an offer from stanford we asked! They want Tommy!

Next time you're here dude, please speak English. I have no clue what point you were trying to make...

Comment

Sounds like he speaks jive...

YouTube - Stewardess. I speak Jive! Airplane!
                                                    sigpic

Comment

I hope you're not a Stanford fan. It sounds like you are, but then again I don't speak jibberish so who knows?

But the update on Rees, per ISD, is that he has us in his top 3, with Stanford and Tennessee, and he's going to announce sometime later this week. Considering he just camped with us in order to get the offer, I'd say ND looks very good here, and our QB depth numbers will be solid again...

Comment

Originally posted by NDinL.A. View Post
                                                        he's going to announce sometime later this week.
                                                        Whoa, where did you here this? any day in particular?

Comment

Here you go:

But the update on Rees, per ISD,
                                                          Don't know the date. Wiltfong, who IMO is the best right now at talking to recruits and getting the best info on ND recruiting, didn't say the date of his announcment...

Comment

Whoa, where did you here this? any day in particular?
                                                            Try notredomers dead grandma, I think she let the cat out of the bag.

Comment

Hey... if this kids wants to bite the bullet for four years, get a redshirt, and then pull a John David Booty, I'm good with that.

Comment

#11???

The Tennessee board moderator just said that Rees committed to ND, FWIW. More in a bit...
                                                                Last edited by NDinL.A.; 07-07-2009, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Ohhh reaaaaallllllllllllllllllly?

Comment

numa numa time?
                                                                    The yellow mustard pants are hideous and have to go.

Comment

Originally posted by WabashFalcon View Post
                                                                      Ohhh reaaaaallllllllllllllllllly?
                                                                      Quite Rly
                                                                      sigpic

Comment

Confirmed by ISD, it's official! Number 11.

2 things I love here:

1. Yes, he's not a high-profile recruit. But he gives us depth at a position that was needing it after we didn't get anybody last year. Hendrix is a stud, and this kid is great insurance and could turn out to be a stud as well, you never know. And he came to camp and earned his scholly. Even better, he's a competitor, not scared to compete for his spot. He could have gone to Tennessee as the only QB, but he is taking the tougher road. Kudos.

2. Tennessee fans are gripping right now over their lack of a QB. QB after QB has turned them down. Unless someone flips, their QB is going to be like a 2 star or something! Just listening to them bitch is quite funny...
                                                                        Last edited by NDinL.A.; 07-07-2009, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Doing the Haaaaaaaaaapppppppppyyyyyyyyy Daaaaaaaaaaacccccccccceeeeeeeeee

Awesome. We now have a commit at each position of need (other than OT). We can seriously make a run at an Ego, Sean Parker, and Senteal Henderson. I am fucking pumped.

Comment

you think the Zooker is feeling any heat?

Comment

• #39
                                                                              Here's one article:

Rees Goes With Gut, Picks Irish -

Sounds like a great kid...

Comment

• #40
                                                                                More great news! Go Irish!
                                                                                God, Country, Notre Dame

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  Love his attitude. Kid's got his head on straight
                                                                                  The yellow mustard pants are hideous and have to go.

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    Great Article....Loved how he said he is going to work on Cooper and Prater.

Glad to have him aboard.
                                                                                    2011 Irish Envy Fantasy Football Champion

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      Tennessee fans are gripping right now over their lack of a QB.
                                                                                      Tuck Fennessee. While at it muck Fichigan also .... I hate those bastards! Glad you're on aboard with the Irish, Tommy!

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        Tuck Fennessee and Muck Fichigan... You got the first letters of each of these switched around! Is that supposted to be a joke or something?!?!?!? He he.

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          Hm... There are some things I like about this commit and some things I don't really like. None of them really have a lot to do with the player himself.

The biggest thing I'm not that excited about is taking two QBs in what appears to be a terrible QB class. It might scare away a great QB next year. And since this year was bad, the law of averages would suggest that next season will be much better. Taking two QBs in a good year really helps your chances of finding a stud than taking two QBs in a down year.

The other thing I'm a little disappointed by is that the staff didn't go after a player that provides our roster with a different dimension. Why not grab a QB who can? -- somebody who could have a few plays in the playbook. This also doesn't seem like a player who can play another position if he's not needed at QB.

All that being said, I do like taking good players from Illinois.

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            From what I have heard we are sitting pretty with one of the best QB's in next years recruiting cycle. I think this is a great pickup. Earned his scholly and wanted to come to ND. Welcome to the family Mr. Rees.

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              Originally posted by IHateMarkMay View Post
                                                                                              From what I have heard we are sitting pretty with one of the best QB's in next years recruiting cycle.
                                                                                              Which one?

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                Does anyone know where to find video on Rees?
                                                                                                I haven't found any. Thanks in advance.

Go Irish!

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  Originally posted by hamiljar View Post
                                                                                                  Does anyone know where to find video on Rees?
                                                                                                  I haven't found any. Thanks in advance.

Go Irish!
                                                                                                  Tommy Rees - College Football Recruiting 2010 - ESPN

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    Originally posted by loweND View Post
                                                                                                    Hm... There are some things I like about this commit and some things I don't really like. None of them really have a lot to do with the player himself.

The biggest thing I'm not that excited about is taking two QBs in what appears to be a terrible QB class. It might scare away a great QB next year. And since this year was bad, the law of averages would suggest that next season will be much better. Taking two QBs in a good year really helps your chances of finding a stud than taking two QBs in a down year.

The other thing I'm a little disappointed by is that the staff didn't go after a player that provides our roster with a different dimension. Why not grab a QB who can? -- somebody who could have a few plays in the playbook. This also doesn't seem like a player who can play another position if he's not needed at QB.

All that being said, I do like taking good players from Illinois.
                                                                                                    Just a few thoughts on your points.

First, I think this has been labeled a down year for quaterbacks just because they are just few and far between. In the Clausen class, there were some 8 QBs in the top 150. Not lack of skill, just lack of numbers.

As for the wrinkle thing, Charle's playbook is a Pro Style, fling the sucker around. If you bring in a dual threat that makes up for a lack of arm with his legs, then there are playbook LIMITATIONS, not expansions. Look at DJ... If a QB can't fling a ball 30 plus yards with accuracy, safeties cheat up and the run game is that much more difficult, even if you are running the midline.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X