Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'10 GA WR Tai-ler Jones (Notre Dame Signee)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '10 GA WR Tai-ler Jones (Notre Dame Signee)

Wide Receiver
    Gainesville (GA) Gainesville HS

Ht: 6-0
    Wt: 184
    Forty: 4.46
    Vertical: 31
    Shuttle: 4.28
    GPA: 3.5
    Test: 25

Stats:
    '08 81 Catches, 1000 yds, 13 TD, 12,3 yd/catch
    '09 74 Catches, 1394 yds, 18 TD, 18.6 yds/catch

Ranking:
    Rivals: , #19 WR, Rating 5.8
    Scout: , #21 WR
    ESPN: , #10 WR, Grade 81

Honors:
    Under Armour All-American Bowl

Offers:
    Notre Dame (OV 10/17)
    Standord (Decommit)
    Oregon (planning OV)
    Alabama (UV 10/24)
    Auburn

Miami
    Michigan
    Michigan State
    North Carolina
    Florida State
    Georgia
    Georgia Tech
    OSU
    OU
    South Carolina
    Tennessee
    West Virginia
    UCLA
    USC

ND Recruiter: Tony Alford

Decision: 10/19 ND Verbal

Enrolled: January 2010 Early Entrance
    Last edited by BGIF; 02-01-2010, 01:49 AM. Reason: Ranking, '09 Stats, Enrolled

Cut his list to 15 schools... ND is one of them.
    Alabama
    Auburn
    California
    Clemson
    Miami
    UM
    Michigan State
    North Carolina
    OSUck
    Oklahoma
    South Carolina
    Tennessee
    UCLA
    Vandy

No USC???? interesting... i like it.

Comment

Per ESPN, made his top seven.

ESPNU 150 athlete Tai-ler Jones told affiliate Web site Bucknuts.com, "I made a top seven. It's Ohio State, Georgia, Notre Dame, Cal, UCLA, North Carolina and Stanford. I wanted to name a top five, but I just felt like I couldn't decide which two to cut. So I decided on a top seven."

Jones has visited Ohio State, Notre Dame and Georgia. He plans to visit North Carolina this weekend. A California trip to Cal, UCLA and Stanford over Jones' spring break could be next.

Programs such as Oklahoma, South Carolina, Miami, Michigan State, Tennessee and Clemson have been eliminated from contention.

The Gainesville, Ga. product, who plans to graduate early, added, "Chances are good I'll commit by the end of April."

Last fall, he caught 81 passes for 979 yards (12.1 average) and 12 touchdowns. On defense, he posted 28 tackles and two interceptions.

Comment

Fingers crossed on this kid. I want him and Prater really bad!

Comment

I would take Jones, Prater, and Smith. Amazing class.

Comment

a lot of speculation that Georgia is his "favorite".

Comment

Originally posted by Brown View Post
              a lot of speculation that Georgia is his "favorite".
              There's still a lot of time. Georgia was Starling's favorite at this time, and look at what happened.
              sigpic

Comment

He's coming for the Blue and Gold game and I always have a lot more confidence when we get kids to come to the Spring game.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishInFL View Post
                  There's still a lot of time. Georgia was Starling's favorite at this time, and look at what happened.
                  What happened was Georgia didn't offer until recently. He's a Dawg.

Comment

Originally posted by ant80 View Post
                    What happened was Georgia didn't offer until recently. He's a Dawg.
                    And Manti was a Condom!!!!

No more naysay!!!! Only pos-a-tiv-a-tay!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WabashFalcon View Post
                      And Manti was a Condom!!!!

No more naysay!!!! Only pos-a-tiv-a-tay!!!!
                      lol damn right brotha. keep up hope folks, he is coming to the Blue and gold game.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishAddiction View Post
                        lol damn right brotha. keep up hope folks, he is coming to the Blue and gold game.
                        Actually, it doesn't look like he is after all. Rivals has him visiting UNC this weekend, then going out to CA to look at 2 schools. No mention of him coming to ND. And then after spring break he's going to choose schools, so you can pretty much say good-bye to this cat...
                        sigpic Silence implies consent.

Comment

Well if so, best of luck to him.

Comment

announcement date and time set, idk when it is but if someone has premium access, be my guest. link below.

Scout.com: Jones Sets Decision Date

Comment

Originally posted by IrishAddiction View Post
                              announcement date and time set, idk when it is but if someone has premium access, be my guest. link below.

Scout.com: Jones Sets Decision Date
                              Thursday at 11:30 a.m...

Comment

you dont need premium access.

UNHD.com blogged about it here: Tal-ier Jones Announcing Thursday, Notre Dame a Finalist - UHND.com Blog

A lot of the information you find on "Irish Eyes" at scout.com is information that's freely available elsewhere.

Comment

My guess is that he is a Bulldog.

Comment

Here's an article that is sure to get your hopes up, esp considering that it's from Georgia:

Notre Dame among the finalists for Georgia WR Tai-ler Jones | Inside College Recruiting: Michael Carvell

Lots of positive ND stuff there, and his dad, God bless him, is working him hard. Check out the replies on the bottom; same old crap you read everywhere about ND.

However, he didn't visit for the spring like he did all his other favorites, so I still say he's a Bulldog...

(but what do I know???)

Comment

I am not too concerned that he did not visit in the Spring. His dad being an alum surely figures he has been on campus before more than a few times. I have a good feeling he is Irish. But, I have been wrong before.
                                      “We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst.” C.S. Lewis

Comment

Most are saying Georgia, a few are staying Stanford.

Buuuuuuuuuut...most said Te'o to USC, so Thursday we will either celebrate or move on
                                        The yellow mustard pants are hideous and have to go.

Comment

He may very well be a bulldog but the ones saying this most likely don't have inside info and are doing nothing more than guessing as many did with Te'o. There was no info that he was going to USC it was just an assumption and some took at a fact even though Te'o and his family hadn't even yet come to a decision.

Howver, according to Steve Wiltfong through twitter is saying he believes it's down to 2 and both University's start with N. So what he's really saying is that he thinks or knows that it's down to Notre Dame or North Carolina.

Also Andre Jones has suggested it's 50-50 with the Irish in the mix so there is reason to believe Wiltfong.

Comment

The UGA Spring games was last weekend, did he go?
                                            2011 Irish Envy Fantasy Football Champion

Comment

Pretty sure he was there, but I know he was also on the west coast some time in the past 2 weeks

Comment

wish he would come here

Comment

I went on a Georgia board this morning when I couldn't sleep (still on east coast time damn-it), just to see what they were saying, and the feeling there was that he was going to a Stanford commit. WTF?? And then other experts say North Carolina? It's all guesses at this point...

Comment

we have a good shot, nobody knows for sure until the kid announces. i can deal with that. WR arent an area im really too concerned about this year anyways, we have a pretty good stockpile already so i wont freak out if we dont get him.

Comment

He'd be a huge get but I'm not holding my breath...We need lineman!

Comment

Anyone know what time his announcement is? Go Irish!
                                                        God, Country, Notre Dame

Comment

Ive seen 2:30 PM and 11:30 AM. So i would guess one of those.

Comment

Thanks
                                                            God, Country, Notre Dame

Comment

2:30 is the start of his press conference.

Comment

Is that Eastern time...so in about 25 minutes or so?

Comment

We'll see if Steve Wiltfong's predicts are correct with the school beginning with N

I really had him pegged as a Dawg, but a few minutes will tell us

Comment

Stanford

Comment

Rivals.com - AMP Exclusive: Tai-ler Jones commits

Comment

Hats off to harbaugh on that one

Comment

Originally posted by Polish Leppy 22 View Post
                                                                          We'll see if Steve Wiltfong's predicts are correct with the school beginning with N

I really had him pegged as a Dawg, but a few minutes will tell us
                                                                          A few hours ago he said he thought he was wrong about that N prediction and his correction was correct as Tai-ler Jones chose Stanford.

Comment

Originally posted by Polish Leppy 22 View Post
                                                                            Hats off to harbaugh on that one
                                                                            I agree but in the end I think the difference was PT as he would have to bide his time at ND whereas at Standford the PT will more and sooner.

Comment

• #39
                                                                              True. He could start for them as a true freshman, and Harbaugh pulled in Andrew Luck last year too, so he could have a nice connection there.

best of luck to the kid

Comment

• #40
                                                                                moving on, we arent hurting at the WR position, i think that played into his decision for sure... best of luck to him.

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  Wow. This one is not over by a longshot for Harbaugh. On the premium sites they have his interviews up and he's saying that he's basically a 'soft verbal' (that makes no sense to me. I mean, then why commit? You're still going to be inundated w/ calls and texts and emails kid. whatever). He's still willing to listen to new offers. Now, we're not a new offer, so I don't know how much we're really in play here, but Harbaugh is still going to have to keep recruiting this kid. And if he blows up his senior year, and he hears places like USC or FL calling, you bet he's going to open up his recruiting. Especially considering how much he says that weather and lifestyle played such a big part.

Now, I really wanted this kid. I think he's a stud, so I'm not going to try and front like I'm glad he didn't verbal to us. But having heard that he's a soft commit, no thanks. Call me when he's ready to sign. I've had enough of the Byron Moores of the world. I think he's a fantastic get for Stanford, but then again he's still not a 'get' yet. I'd say they're number one right now, but they don't have him.

We're lucky in the sense that this isn't a safety that we desperately needed. This is a position of strength, we have great depth here and we still have 3 outstanding prospects coming to SB this weekend (although Cooper will prob play safety in college). McCay is the big fish I'd love to have, and Prater is right there with Jones. If Jones changes his mind, that's awesome, but if not, I'll take a Prater or a McCay thank you very much.

EDIT: Wait until he sees the kinda #'s Tate and Floyd put up this year as opposed to Stanfraud who will run run run...
                                                                                  Last edited by NDinL.A.; 04-16-2009, 04:39 PM.

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    He says he will continue to take visits, including official visits, so i edited to soft verbal.

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      Originally posted by NDinL.A. View Post
                                                                                      Wow. This one is not over by a longshot for Harbaugh. On the premium sites they have his interviews up and he's saying that he's basically a 'soft verbal' (that makes no sense to me. I mean, then why commit? You're still going to be inundated w/ calls and texts and emails kid. whatever). He's still willing to listen to new offers. Now, we're not a new offer, so I don't know how much we're really in play here, but Harbaugh is still going to have to keep recruiting this kid. And if he blows up his senior year, and he hears places like USC or FL calling, you bet he's going to open up his recruiting. Especially considering how much he says that weather and lifestyle played such a big part.

Now, I really wanted this kid. I think he's a stud, so I'm not going to try and front like I'm glad he didn't verbal to us. But having heard that he's a soft commit, no thanks. Call me when he's ready to sign. I've had enough of the Byron Moores of the world. I think he's a fantastic get for Stanford, but then again he's still not a 'get' yet. I'd say they're number one right now, but they don't have him.

We're lucky in the sense that this isn't a safety that we desperately needed. This is a position of strength, we have great depth here and we still have 3 outstanding prospects coming to SB this weekend (although Cooper will prob play safety in college). McCay is the big fish I'd love to have, and Prater is right there with Jones. If Jones changes his mind, that's awesome, but if not, I'll take a Prater or a McCay thank you very much.

EDIT: Wait until he sees the kinda #'s Tate and Floyd put up this year as opposed to Stanfraud who will run run run...
                                                                                      Great post...if Prater commits that would be ridiculous as i see him on par with some of the great WR's who have come into college the past few years. McCay would also be a huge get and would love to see him play LB in college. All seriousness, i believe we already have a WR committed who is every bit as good and much bigger then Jones. I hope he goes to Stanford, it's always fun beating the recruits who spurn us.

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        Let me put this to rest. There's nothing "soft" about his verbal. He is a man of class and integrity. He has handled the recruiting process very well, and far far FAR better than most other kids. He has his opinion, and I would recommend everybody stops deriding him for his choice because of what some random website says. I will eat crow if he changes his commitment.

edit: That said, some reports suggest that Montana might verbal to Stanford as well. And that Jones and Montana were talking about playing for Stanford together.

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          Personally, I'm not deriding his choice at all. Stanford's a great academic school. Harbaugh is not a popular guy around here, but I've been giving him credit for a while on this board (regardless of his personality that rubs a bunch of people, esp USC, the wrong way). His teams are very tough, they run the hell out of the ball, and he's a great recruiter. Yeah, he offers the world a scholly, but he gets a lot of guys to either commit or strongly consider committing, guys that people have pegged to UCLA, USC, and yes, even ND.

But I completely agree with you saying "there is nothing soft about his verbal." Ummmm, when you say that you are willing to listen to new offers, and that you will take your 5 official visits, that sounds to me like, well, you are still willing to explore your options. Where you get saying that he's not soft is beyond me. Yes, he said nice things about Stanford, but he said nice things about a lot of schools. The thing that sticks in my mind is...I'M WILLING TO LISTEN TO NEW OFFERS. How in thw world is that a strong commit. Just because he has class and dignity, which I don't argue at all, doesn't take away from the fat that he said those things. He may still go to Stanford, but that doesn't mean he isn't a soft commit.

You want a strong commit? Go look up Chris Martin. He tells everyone who will calls that he appreciates the offer and the love, but he is firmly an ND commit, and then he politely says good bye and hangs up. Now THAT is a strong commit...

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            In the words of Stuart Scott...

BOO YAH

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              Originally posted by NDinL.A. View Post
                                                                                              Personally, I'm not deriding his choice at all. Stanford's a great academic school. Harbaugh is not a popular guy around here, but I've been giving him credit for a while on this board (regardless of his personality that rubs a bunch of people, esp USC, the wrong way). His teams are very tough, they run the hell out of the ball, and he's a great recruiter. Yeah, he offers the world a scholly, but he gets a lot of guys to either commit or strongly consider committing, guys that people have pegged to UCLA, USC, and yes, even ND.

But I completely agree with you saying "there is nothing soft about his verbal." Ummmm, when you say that you are willing to listen to new offers, and that you will take your 5 official visits, that sounds to me like, well, you are still willing to explore your options. Where you get saying that he's not soft is beyond me. Yes, he said nice things about Stanford, but he said nice things about a lot of schools. The thing that sticks in my mind is...I'M WILLING TO LISTEN TO NEW OFFERS. How in thw world is that a strong commit. Just because he has class and dignity, which I don't argue at all, doesn't take away from the fat that he said those things. He may still go to Stanford, but that doesn't mean he isn't a soft commit.

You want a strong commit? Go look up Chris Martin. He tells everyone who will calls that he appreciates the offer and the love, but he is firmly an ND commit, and then he politely says good bye and hangs up. Now THAT is a strong commit...
                                                                                              It is VERY rare to find any recruit that speaks negatively of any school. They only say the positive aspects of that school.

Also, you're looking at the visits through the glasses of a domer. In recent years, CW has been stung by the decommits, which is why he instituted that rule, no visits after commit. Not all schools have that. Most OSU commits and USC commits visit other schools before sign-in day. As do recruits that have committed to most other schools. Granted, it puts them as a higher risk to decommit than ND recruits, but that again depends on the attitude of the kid, and his character. I can tell you that Jones is not like that. It's as solid as they come.

While CW's rule fits his coaching philosophy, its neither right nor wrong for a prospect to take visits after a "verbal commitment."

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                Let me put this to rest. There's nothing "soft" about his verbal. He is a man of class and integrity. He has handled the recruiting process very well, and far far FAR better than most other kids.
                                                                                                my listing him as a soft verbal has nothing to do with me challenging his integrity. He said himself, with his own word, using his own mouth that he is going to take official visits to other schools despite his "commitment." anytime someone says they're committed but are going to take additional visits to other schools, i think it's justified to question the seriousness of the commitment.

if he doesn't change his commitment, or never takes a visit, then good for him.

He has his opinion, and I would recommend everybody stops deriding him for his choice because of what some random website says. I will eat crow if he changes his commitment.
                                                                                                can you please quote for me the exact "deriding him for his choice" that we are so guilty of? the only comments I see are "good luck to him" etc. Callig his commitment "soft" when he says he is going to continue to consider offers and take visits is not "deriding him for his choice." That's calling a spade, a spade.

because of what some random website says? what random site are you referring to? the random site that interviewed him and recorded his statement that he is taking visits? or do you mean the random recruiting website you're relying on about Montana and Tailer allegedly discussing playing together? I assume you weren't apart of those conversations, so you must be relying on some random website to get that information.
                                                                                                Last edited by SoCalDomer; 04-17-2009, 11:06 AM.

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  It is VERY rare to find any recruit that speaks negatively of any school. They only say the positive aspects of that school.

Also, you're looking at the visits through the glasses of a domer. In recent years, CW has been stung by the decommits, which is why he instituted that rule, no visits after commit. Not all schools have that. Most OSU commits and USC commits visit other schools before sign-in day. As do recruits that have committed to most other schools. Granted, it puts them as a higher risk to decommit than ND recruits, but that again depends on the attitude of the kid, and his character. I can tell you that Jones is not like that. It's as solid as they come.

While CW's rule fits his coaching philosophy, its neither right nor wrong for a prospect to take visits after a "verbal commitment."
                                                                                                  you yourself recognize that a player who takes visits after a "commitment" is more likely to decommit than another verbal commit. and i believe there are statistics on it that strongly favor a decommitment once a "verbal commit" starts taking visits to other schools.

so don't come here acting like we are way out in left field when we simply note that he says he's going to take visits, after he makes a commitment. you're not the only one who follows recruiting.

no one said he couldn't take visits after his verbal. but it is justified to say that it necessarily calls into question the seriousness of his commitment. the fact that he may never decommit from Stanford doesn't change that. If he is certain he is going to Stanford, then there is no need for visits. Unless he's simply taking vacations to other schools under the ruse that he is seriously considering them.

he can do whatever he wants with additional visits. and we have the right to discuss those additional visits. no one is doing what Buckeye sites do when they lose a recruit, such as say he now "sucks", or ND never really wanted him, or the kid was afraid of competition, etc, etc.

he made a good choice in a school. good for him. no hard feelings.
                                                                                                  Last edited by SoCalDomer; 04-17-2009, 11:10 AM.

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    I can tell you that Jones is not like that. It's as solid as they come.
                                                                                                    SoCal pretty much summed up what I was feeling.

But this quote above, in which you say that he's 'as solid as they come', is simply beyond ridiculous! Are you really saying that even though he admits that he's going to listen to other schools AND he's going to take all his official visits, that his commitment is 'as solid as they come'???????? Please tell me you're kidding. Brother, you're giving OSU fans a bad name (although many on here would say that name is already deserved). Can you really look someone in the eye say that Jones' commitment as just as strong as Chris Martin, who will NOT take official visits, will not look at other schools, and will NOT even talk to any other school other than to say, "No thanks." Are you REALLY trying to sell that argument??? I'd love to hear your rebuttal...

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X