Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'10 CA LB/Ath Anthony Barr (UCLA Commit)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '10 CA LB/Ath Anthony Barr (UCLA Commit)

ANTHONY BARR | Athlete, Linebacker

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD width=200>Los Angeles, California
    Loyola

Height: 6'4"
    Weight: 230 lbs
    Forty: 4.55 secs
    </TD><TD vAlign=top>RANKING
    Rivals: , Athlete (5), National (50), Rating 6.0
    Scout: , OLB (10)
    ESPN: , Athlete (11), National (102), Grade 81

STATISTICS | Rushing
    Junior: 1890 Yds, 20 TD
    </TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

COLLEGE CHOICES<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD width=125>School</TD><TD width=175>Interest</TD><TD width=50>Offer</TD><TD width=125>Visit</TD></TR><TR><TD>Notre Dame</TD><TD>None</TD><TD>Yes</TD><TD>10/2/2009</TD></TR><TR><TD>UCLA</TD><TD>Verbal</TD><TD>Yes</TD><TD>1/15/10</TD></TR><TR><TD>California</TD><TD>None</TD><TD>Yes</TD><TD>None</TD></TR><TR><TD>Florida State</TD><TD>None</TD><TD>Yes</TD><TD>None</TD></TR><TR><TD>Michigan</TD><TD>None</TD><TD>Yes</TD><TD>None</TD></TR><TR><TD>Oregon</TD><TD>None</TD><TD>Yes</TD><TD>None</TD></TR><TR><TD>Stanford</TD><TD>None</TD><TD>Yes</TD><TD>None</TD></TR><TR><TD>Tennessee</TD><TD>None</TD><TD>Yes</TD><TD>None</TD></TR><TR><TD>USC</TD><TD>None</TD><TD>Yes</TD><TD>None</TD></TR><TR><TD>Washington</TD><TD>None</TD><TD>Yes</TD><TD>None</TD></TR></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

ND Recruiter: Denbrock

Decision: 1/21/10 UCLA
    Last edited by BGIF; 01-22-2010, 12:19 AM.

The son of Tony Brooks and nephew of Reggie Brooks, ND will definitely have a connection to this southern california standout.

He plans on taking visits, though, so as always, nothing is a lock in recruiting.

Comment

My roomate i have now in college played football at Loyola with Anthony and he said he's pretty good but he's a pussy. He said he'll need to toughen up to play D1

Comment

Does this roommate of your play D1 football? Because if he doesn't I'm not sure he's a good judge of what it takes to play D1 football.

Comment

Originally posted by NDame77 View Post
          My roomate i have now in college played football at Loyola with Anthony and he said he's pretty good but he's a pussy. He said he'll need to toughen up to play D1
          You might want to use a little better judgment than posting something like this on this board - particularly since Anthony likely reads boards like these and I'm not sure he'd appreciate your second-hand characterization of his toughness. Your roommate might be the baddest mf in the whole dorm, but unless he's getting D1 offers from all the big schools, I gotta believe that Barr is tougher than him. That makes him a HUGE puss, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by GoIrish41 View Post
            You might want to use a little better judgment than posting something like this on this board - particularly since Anthony likely reads boards like these and I'm not sure he'd appreciate your second-hand characterization of his toughness. Your roommate might be the baddest mf in the whole dorm, but unless he's getting D1 offers from all the big schools, I gotta believe that Barr is tougher than him. That makes him a HUGE puss, I guess.
            and plus, when that kid knew him, Anthony was most likely a freshman....

Comment

Good point 23.
              Once we truly come together as a family, nothing can stop us. Its my job to make sure we become that family.

Comment

First of all, I was just passing on information i thought some might like to know. I wasn't the one judging Anthony so get off my ass about that. Second, he was a sophomore and playing varsity so he should be tough enough to hang with the big boys by now if he wants to move up in his career. And lastly, why does it matter if he got D1 offers or not??? He played with him for months and saw what he could do and also how he handled minor injuries. You don't need to be amazing at football to see that.

Comment

Which one is it, is he pretty good or is he a pussy? One or the other, can't call a kid pretty good, then say he's a pussy.

Comment

First of all, I was just passing on information i thought some might like to know. I wasn't the one judging Anthony so get off my ass about that.
                    well the problem with posting that type of information on a web board without specifically identifying your source by name is that a recruit or his family could come on here and attirbute your 2nd hand information to ND fans, specifically this board. they then have a negative impression of ND and its fans.

the relative anonymity of the internet allows anyone to claim they have a source and post any nonsense. if you want to post that type of info, regardless of whether you're not the original source of that info, you need to be prepared for people to call you on it.

Comment

He said Anthony is good when it comes to being athletic and being a productive football player, but his weakness right now is his toughness. And I don't understand how I could say my roommates name. None of you would know him obviously.

Comment

And I don't understand how I could say my roommates name.
                        are you saying you don't know his name or can't pronounce it? since i doubt either of those are the case, you just say it.

whether anyone here would know his name isn't the issue. if you want to come here and post annonymous claims about a high school kid's toughness based on comments from some unnamed source, be prepared to be called on it.

Comment

He said Anthony is good when it comes to being athletic and being a productive football player, but his weakness right now is his toughness. And I don't understand how I could say my roommates name. None of you would know him obviously.
                          if you had simply said it this way in the first post i dont think you would getting the grief you are now.

i would suggest you go back and edit the first post and copy paste what i quoted above and then all will be well. i dont think it would be much of an issue if he were to read the quoted post but the first post was definitely a very childish way to put forward information.

in addition as a sophomore he was 14 or 15 years old. now while some of us may have been tough at early ages some dont get that toughness until they get a little older. i am sure that if he is being recruited by all of these schools he has learned how to be a little tougher than your roomate claims.

then again there is always the jealousy angle...
                          Last edited by alleycat9; 08-30-2008, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Well I will back what the coaching staff of ND and other D1 colleges think of this young man over your roommate anyday of the week.

Comment

You act like I was saying my roommate was better than Anthony, which I never once said. Plus, sophomores in highschool are around 16 years old not 14, which at that age he should be tough enough.

Comment

NDame77 just lick your wounds and move on.
                                Personally this kid's family pedigree alone should merit some respect from ND fans.

I really like this guy's size and hope we continue to recruit Cali with continued success.

Comment

The truth

Just so all that read this know...I know Anthony very well...u could even say we are like family. There is not a "pussy" bone in his body. I have watched him play football since he was 9 years old. Every time he steps on the field, he plays hard. He plays sick; he plays hurt, he just loves too play. Last year when he had a minor shoulder separation and the team doctor told him he could not play for 4 weeks...he was devastated. He moped around the house like his dog died. All he wants to do is play. I am sure the person who "knows" him and made this comment is completely jealous. I am sure he was not a starting RB his sophomore year. Just a note...I am not a small guy...6-02, 230lbs. Anthony has always been like a little brother too me, and like brothers we have been known to get into a few friendly wrestling matches, and for all you sickos reading this I don't mean anything vulgar. Well anyways, like I was saying, during one of these matches last year Anthony a SOPHOMORE dropped his shoulder picked me up, all 230lbs of me, and proceeded to carry me around the house. I am sure you are all thinking now that I am the pussy. Trust me, I am in law enforcement and if you ask, the last couple of suspects I have fought with, they will tell you I can take care of myself. Anthony is no joke...we should all just hope he decides to go to ND! And to the unamed man...Dont hate the player..hate the game!

Comment

Thank you! I work down the street from Loyola, and I went to a game last year, and he looked like anything but a p**** on the field. Good luck to the kid and let's hope he makes it to ND!
                                    Last edited by NDinL.A.; 09-10-2008, 11:59 AM.
                                    sigpic Silence implies consent.

Comment

welcome nuxsoonkau, and thank you for sharing that info. if you can, keep us updated with Anthony's season and recruitment.

Comment

Anthony Barr Update

Anthony had a great game this past weekend. Loyola beat Mira Costa. Anthony had a total of 232 yards in 16 carries, with 2 TD's. For all those who aren't familiar with SoCal sports, Mira Costa, just like Loyola always has a solid team. For a junior to come up with those type of numbers is no small feat.

There is a great clip of Anthony at this link. cbs2.com - Video Library

The clip is titled "Elway watched Loyola @Mira Costa, Barr runs wild"

Anthony is #2, I really like his second 60 yard touchdown run. Watch him as he runs the MLB over like a child.

GO Anthony...GO IRISH

Comment

You act like I was saying my roommate was better than Anthony, which I never once said. Plus, sophomores in highschool are around 16 years old not 14, which at that age he should be tough enough.
                                          Actually, unless the players birthday is between September and November, he more than likely was only 15 years old as a sophomore. The only other reasons why he may have been 16 is if he had to repeat any grades or if he started school when he was 6. Either way, it doesn't really matter because 15 and 16 year old KIDS are usually not going to be as tough as they will be when they are 17 or 18.

I hope Anthony is not reading this and thinking that ND fans and alums are speaking badly of him and he will give us a chance!

Comment

Anthony Barr update

The first week of the Loyola season Loyola beat Mira Costa 23-7

Anthony assisted his team with this win by accumulating a total 232 yards in 16 carries and 2 touchdowns.

Last week Loyola again won, beating Palos Verdes High 34-0

Anthony ran for a total of 161 yards in 20 carries and scored 3 touchdowns.

There are two clips of Anthony one at this link Los Angeles Times - High School Sports

the other is here Elway Watches Loyola @ Mira Costa, Barr Runs Wild - Truveo Video Search

I especially like Anthony's second TD run....the one where he runs over the middle linebacker like a tackling dummy. WOW but I guess some would call that being a P&*^Y.........LOL

Comment

I see Anthony as a linebacker in college. 6'4 is massive for a running back, and an awesome size for a 3-4 linebacker. If he doesn't choose Notre Dame I will be very disappointed, how much more dominant can USC get with recruits? Spread the love Barr!

Comment

An L.A. Times writer was ranking the area's top players so far. AB came in tops at running back:

"Running back: 1. Anthony Barr, Los Angeles Loyola, Jr.; 2. Jordon James, Corona, Jr.; 3. Bradley Randle, Vista Murrieta, Sr. On the rise: John Lister, Thousand Oaks, Sr.

There just isn't another running back in the mold of Barr, who's 6 feet 4 and keeps churning out 100- and 200-yard games."

Football report card has Keith Price, Anthony Barr among leaders - Los Angeles Times

Also, this little article, which has nothing to do with his game really, but still interesting:

"Lori Barr, the principal at Santa Fe Springs St. Paul High, is happy that her school's colors -- blue and white -- are the same as Los Angeles Loyola's.

That's because her son, Anthony Barr, is a standout tailback for Loyola, and no one is going to be able to determine by her outfit who she is rooting for when the Cubs play the Swordsmen during a nonleague game Friday in Santa Fe Springs.

"It's business as usual around here," Lori Barr said.

But it can't be business as usual at home, right?

"When I'm home, I'm mom and he's son," she said.

And which side of the field will she be on come Friday night?

"Because I'm supervising, I will be on the side of St. Paul," she said.

Who will she root for?

"He's my son, but it's St. Paul who puts food on my table," she said.

Still, if Anthony scores four touchdowns, there probably won't be too many tears shed at the Barr house Friday night.

Either way, she can't lose - Los Angeles Times

Everybody I talk to says this guy is a beast (saw him once, wow, what a RB!). I can't see him as a 6'4" rb, but still, it would be a great get for ND...

Comment

Just watched the video... kid reminds me of Eric Dickerson... tall, fast, and powerful

Comment

The game is rapidly evolving, i dont think its a far stretch to say this kid could be a 6'4" RB. The running back at stanford was a beast and i think he was at least 6'2" or 6'3". We especially could utilize him in passing situations with that size to protect the QB and as the outlet pass out of the backfield. And just from film, it looks like he can handle himself running the ball too.

Comment

Brandon Jacobs the 2nd?
                                                      What Freud said about the Irish is: We're the only people who are impervious to psychoanalysis.

Comment

hes a monster

Comment

Originally posted by laxkid23 View Post
                                                          Brandon Jacobs the 2nd?
                                                          Exactly, a power-power RB. I think we get too caught up in the measurables anymore and we start thinking this guy is better then the next solely on height weight and 40 times when it has nothing to do with the player actual football ability and where his skills are best suited and that's what I think we are doing with Barr.

The more video I see of him he makes me a believer that he is a RB. Sure we see that size and speed and we say he will make an awesome LB but maybe he won't because he doesn't have that LB instinct and that his instinct is more like his father and his uncle at RB.

I want an awesome stable of RB's like USC has with all different types and IMO he would bring a different dimension than what the other RB's bring.

As a Giants fan and seeing what Brandon Jacobs does week in and week out I would more than love to see the Irish have that same type of player and let's not forget that Barr is still only a JR in HS so he's going to be anywhere from 240 to 250 lbs as he naturally fills out.

A want a monster in the backfield to go with the speed and traditional RB's that ND has.

Comment

Per the L.A. Times:

Anthony Barr had 216 yards in 40 carries and scored on a 68-yard touchdown run to help the Cubs (5-3) defeat No. 10 La Puente Bishop Amat, 17-6, in a Serra League opener at Glendale High.

The kid is HUGE. He looks like a lineman running the ball when he plays h.s. kids. He was hurt the week before, but he gutted out a 40-carry game. Nice.

Comment

Last edited by IrishAddiction; 11-05-2008, 07:48 PM. Reason: im a moron.

Comment

Originally posted by NDinL.A. View Post
                                                                Per the L.A. Times:

Anthony Barr had 216 yards in 40 carries and scored on a 68-yard touchdown run to help the Cubs (5-3) defeat No. 10 La Puente Bishop Amat, 17-6, in a Serra League opener at Glendale High.

The kid is HUGE. He looks like a lineman running the ball when he plays h.s. kids. He was hurt the week before, but he gutted out a 40-carry game. Nice.

yeah and somebody said something about him being a pansy. 40 carries while hurting is amazing. found an article on rivals about him. talks about henderson and a few other elite 2010 players as well. link below.

IrishIllustrated.com - Rivals250 to Watch: Five-star candidates

Comment

Originally posted by IrishAddiction View Post
                                                                  yeah and somebody said something about him being a pansy. 40 carries while hurting is amazing. found an article on rivals about him. talks about henderson and a few other elite 2010 players as well. link below.

IrishIllustrated.com - Rivals250 to Watch: Five-star candidates
                                                                  I don't see many of those posters around as much..............wonder why?

Cause they was Wrong? Yep

Comment

YouTube - Anthony Barr - Loyola California, Football Highlights 2008Running Back

I hope we get to see Woods and Barr in the same backfield.
                                                                    sigpic

Comment

Good article from the LA times...

When it comes to recruiting, Notre Dame is still golden - Los Angeles Times

titled: When it comes to recruiting, Notre Dame is still golden

The Fighting Irish are struggling on the field, but they haven't lost their ability to land some of the top high school players in the Southland.
                                                                      Eric Sondheimer
                                                                      November 28, 2008
                                                                      Lori Barr and her son, Anthony, aren't worried about obtaining tickets for Saturday's sold-out USC-Notre Dame football game at the Coliseum. Their quandary is over which team to root for.

The Barrs have strong family ties to the Fighting Irish. But Anthony, one of the top junior running backs in California, has scholarship offers from Notre Dame and USC, and the Trojans have invited him to attend the game as a recruit.

"We have to make a decision being a Notre Dame family," Lori said. "Do you go there and support your team as a spectator, or as a prospective student-athlete for USC?"

Added Anthony: "I'm going to wear neutral colors and not going to favor either side, especially if I'm going to be on the USC side."

Barr, who rushed for nearly 2,000 yards this season for Los Angeles Loyola High, is the latest Southern California athlete to become a recruiting target for a Notre Dame program that has been gaining traction in pulling away players from USC and UCLA.

Although Coach Charlie Weis has been having trouble winning games, he has continued the Notre Dame tradition of being a national program in attracting recruits. Two years ago, he signed quarterback Jimmy Clausen from Westlake Village Oaks Christian. Last season, quarterback Dayne Crist from Sherman Oaks Notre Dame and tight end Joseph Fauria from Encino Crespi signed with the Fighting Irish.

And this year, Weis has outdueled UCLA for running back Cierre Wood from Oxnard Santa Clara and defensive back Marlon Pollard from Cajon, and beat out USC for receiver Shaquille Evans from Inglewood. Defensive back Byron Moore Jr. of Harbor City Narbonne, who has committed to USC, took a recruiting visit to Notre Dame last week.

"They're still the big-name school in the country," longtime recruiting expert Tom Lemming said. "They're able to transcend winning and losing."

Notre Dame has struggled to a 6-5 record, including last week's 24-23 defeat to an eight-loss Syracuse team. But being a consensus national champion 11 times, plus the lure of taking a trip to South Bend, Ind., and experiencing the tradition and history associated with a fabled football program, still prompts top players and their parents to open their doors to recruiting pitches by Notre Dame coaches no matter what the team's record might be.

"Who wouldn't want to go to Notre Dame, to a great college with a lot of history behind it," Moore's father, Byron Sr., said. "That's why he went to see it and get a feel for Notre Dame."

Added Lori Barr: "There's always that possibility they're going to return to national prominence, and to be part of that, I don't think any parent can say they don't want to be part of the rebound of that program."

The Barrs' ties to Notre Dame are deep. Anthony's father, Tony Brooks, was a standout running back for the Fighting Irish, along with his uncle, Reggie Brooks. But Barr remains undecided about his college choice, with the Trojans, California, UCLA and several schools in the Midwest continuing to pursue him.

"I want to get a good look at both teams," Barr said. "It's my first time seeing USC live and my second time watching Notre Dame. You always want to get a feel how each team plays watching your position."

And just because his father went to Notre Dame doesn't mean Barr will follow.

"He's a competitor and wants to win," Lori said. "It's very important to him in choosing a program that it has the right coach and is building the right program."

Notre Dame has been successful in selling Weis' NFL coaching contacts, the high graduation rate for football players and the exposure players receive with their home games shown on NBC.

Barr said he'll be sensitive to his hosts Saturday. "I don't want to offend anybody," he said.

But his mother will be less subtle.

"I'll be wearing my Notre Dame gear -- it might be underneath another jacket," she said.

Sondheimer is a Times staff writer.

Comment

Anthony was in the USC locker room after the game

Comment

So was half the Irish recruiting class if you believe the rumours.

Comment

Originally posted by phork View Post
                                                                            So was half the Irish recruiting class if you believe the rumours.
                                                                            I can't speak to the validity of Wood or Evans, but I can say with certainty Anthony Barr was in the locker room

Comment

• #39
                                                                              The Barrs have strong family ties to the Fighting Irish. But Anthony, one of the top junior running backs in California, has scholarship offers from Notre Dame and USC, and the Trojans have invited him to attend the game as a recruit.
                                                                              whoa Nostradamus.

Comment

• #40
                                                                                ESPN says that ND is in the lead for him, which would be fantastic if it's true. He goes to one of the top academic schools in CA, so the school workload shouldn't be a problem for him...

West Recruiting Blog - ESPN

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  sweet...it says were leading for top California Safety Sean Parker too. My god this Brian Polian...lol.

were on our way to a top 5 class in 2010.

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    Originally posted by Irishlew View Post
                                                                                    sweet...it says were leading for top California Safety Sean Parker too. My god this Brian Polian...lol.

were on our way to a top 5 class in 2010.
                                                                                    I don't give a shit if he can coach special teams or not, he's the best damned recruiter we've had since Vinny, if he keeps this shit up.

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      Originally posted by OCIrish View Post
                                                                                      I don't give a shit if he can coach special teams or not, he's the best damned recruiter we've had since Vinny, if he keeps this shit up.
                                                                                      Well said. He is so vital to our success. To lure these Cali kids from under Carroll's nose is remarkable. Not to mention UCLA which is becoming a factor since slick Rick became head coach.

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        I could not agree more about Polian. I am almost read to start petitioning to have a building named after him on campus. The Brian Polian School of Recruiting - accredited graduate business school!

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          i hope we can hold onto these spots until nsd, even though its a year away

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            Now that ND will officially be running a 4-3 (despite the fact that we did a lot last year anyways) I wonder if this changes Barr's mind regarding how he would fit into the system? He seems to be an ideal linebacker in the 3-4.
                                                                                            "If you've never been to Notre Dame, then I can't really find the words to describe it. If you have been, then I don't need to." - Lou Holtz

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              Heck, lets put him on both sides of the ball. I would love to see scUM's LB core try to stop this kid, and their tiny RB's get by him.

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                Remember it is just terminology. Not much will be different than what we did last year. Tenuata even said that.

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  Are we really recruiting this kid as a LB.... i thought he was being recruited as a RB, which i have no problem with, we have yet to have any of our highly touted backs prove that they are game breakers.

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    i like our rb's he could be a moster lb though

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X