Clear All

• '10 CA OLB Chris Martin ( o___O)

Defensive End
    Aurora Co Grandview

Height: 6-4
    Weight: 240
    Forty: 4.65

Ratings and Rankings
    Rivals: ; Defensive End (2); National (16)
    Scout: ; Defensive End (3); National (6)
    ESPN: ; #111 in Top 150; Defensive End (12); Grade 81

Statistics
    Junior: 115 Tackles; 40 For Loss; 4 Sacks

Offers
    CAL (12/11)
    Florida (OV 11/27)
    Oklahoma (OV 11/14)
    USC

Notre Dame (10/16)
    Colorado
    Georgia
    Nebraska
    Oregon
    USC
    Stanford
    UCLA

Multimedia
    Drills: Chris Martin

ND Recruiter: Randy Hart

Decision: 12/13 CAL; (12/1 Decommit Notre Dame; 2/4/09 verbal)
    Last edited by NDinL.A.; 07-20-2010, 05:40 PM. Reason: Commitment

Despite being a standout at linebacker in California, Chris apparently has very little interest in USC, which is good for alot of reasons.

His top three appear to be UCLA, Colorado and Notre Dame.

Comment

thats great news. i like this kid that much more now

Comment

i dont know if i'd say he has very little interest in southern cal, he just camped there and had very positive things to say about them in the articles i read

Comment

where that came from is an interview to a Bruin recruiting site. he said he has no interest in USC. he even went so far as to say you may hear people saying i'm interested in USC. he said don't believe them. i think that was a premium article so i can't quote it.

now, as with all things recruiting, things can change. but that was pretty explicit.

Comment

i went a reviewed where i read that quote and it is from BruinBlitz (rivals) so i can't quote it. But the quote was recent, stating that he anticipated that after the Rising Stars camp at USC next week people would likely say he was interested.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalDomer View Post
              i went a reviewed where i read that quote and it is from BruinBlitz (rivals) so i can't quote it. But the quote was recent, stating that he anticipated that after the Rising Stars camp at USC next week people would likely say he was interested.
              hmm i can't find that article, i have a rivals subscription so if u could pm me the link that'd be great, the most recent update of his on rivals he doesn't mention notre dame as one of his top schools. instead he says stanford, southern cal, ucla, and colorado are his top schools and he'd like to see more of oregon

Comment

it was an update from Rich Kimbrel on BruinBlitz, around June 20.

one thing i'm cognizant of is that recruits change their minds... sometimes often, and it's also important to keep in mind things they say certain recruiting reports may be the recruit playing the game. (i.e. hinting he is still wide open to make sure the coaches recruit hard, and not giving away any favorites so his school of choice doesn't slow play them for an offer.)
                Last edited by SoCalDomer; 07-07-2008, 09:53 PM.

Comment

This is from an article after he attended the USC camp last week. The statements are not contradictory to prior reports that he had no interest in USC, since it's possible to be flattered but still not be interested. But it is also possible there is slanted writing by either the Bruin recruiting guy or the USC recruiting guy or both. Or the kid is playing the recruiting game. With recruiting, very little is certain.

Martin, who knew he had a scholarship offer waiting for him before the camp started, came down a day early to talk with the Pete Carroll and the USC coaches.

“It was flattering to be there with the guy that you see on TV, who is always fired up on the field, and now you are in his office sitting with him and he is offering you a scholarship to go to his school,” Martin said of Pete Carroll.

“I am very proud of myself and what I accomplished at the camp and it is always good to leave there with an offer from USC.”
                  more (free): Scout.com: Martin Proves Himself at Rising Stars Camp

Comment

since he has an offer from USC, i went ahead and added them as a school of interest. whether he's interested we may never fully know.

Comment

whats his interest in us?

Comment

back in June he listed ND with two other schools (UCLA and Colorado) as his favorites. But it is so early and he hasn't received all the offers he is going to receive. so it's hard to say whether that will remain true.

Comment

well if we are there from the beginning and we stay on him and have him out for a visit i think we have a good shot

Comment

Yeah, if we can get him on campus for a visit, we'll have, I think, as good a shot as anybody else.

Comment

thats the case with any recruit though, if they see the campus on a game day then we have a great shot

Comment

More info coming out that Martin grew up in a ND home (think back to the movie Rudy "there's only one team we watch in this house") since his father grew up just a short distance from Indianapolis.

Martin may be visiting South Bend unofficially soon. He looks to be high on the coaching staff's list for 2010.

Comment

I read the article. He seems to love ND. He said he defends ND when people out in Cali rag on our Irish.
                                  God, Country, Notre Dame

Comment

i like this kid more and more. anybody who tells californians to shut thier mouths when bashing the irish is good with me.

Comment

possible insane recruiting class in 2010

Martin - lifelong ND fan with ties to Indiana
                                      Smith - South Bend WR with ties to ND
                                      Lombard - ND lean
                                      Henderson - Former Floyd teammate and ND lean
                                      Barr-ND ties and ND Lean
                                      Carter-ND Lean
                                      Fierowitz-ND lean
                                      Martin-ND lean
                                      Ian Gray-ND ties and ND lean

That's just 9 guys I can think of off the top of my head. You guys might know more that I'm not thinking of. But, these fellows would make the corp of an uber class. ND has a nice season with 8 or 9 wins, and I think it convinces these 9 to pick ND and after that, we have room for 10 or 12 more who want to climb on the NC bandwagon. 2010 could just be a sick recruiting season.

Comment

omg if they all did commit then that would be the nastiest reecruiting class ever

Comment

Class of 2010 is definetly looking great right now.

Comment

Think you listed Martin twice. Did you mean to list Hurst? That may be the only one you missed.

Comment

isnt he a legacy here

Comment

You may be thinking of Barr or Tailor Jones, both sons of ex-Irish.

Comment

maybe...im not too sure

Comment

Not a legacy, but have heard that his dad is from the Indy area. And on Saturday afternoons would only put the t.v. on NBC and Notre Dame football. Also folks are saying he sticks up for the Irish when folks talk about the 3 cali teams in the pac-10. Don't think anyone would argue with him.

Comment

I love our coaching staff. No one is going to out work them when it comes to recruiting. Go Irish!
                                                      God, Country, Notre Dame

Comment

totally agree hater. they seemed determined to get back the glory days of years past but still keeping the value of people at the highest level. in a world of college football where coaches bring in shady characters who can run fast this staff finds the kids who are fast and of good moral character. congrats to the staff and players for continuing the tradition of high quality people not just players

Comment

you will want to read this: TMNews.com | The Times-Mail - Bedford, Indiana newspaper

Comment

while it seems like there are alot of schools going after this kid it still seems we are in the front, but other schools may be closing fast

Comment

showing interest and closing in are two different things. he and his dad note the quality of a top education. and they seem to know which schools really stress academics for those in high profiles sports. he spoke highly of stanford in addition to ND. so lets hope his "at home" feel in Indiana wins out.
                                                              Last edited by SoCalDomer; 08-12-2008, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Anyone else pick up on this in the article?

“He got introduced to coach Lynch and all of his staff (Monday) and it’s impressive what they’re doing here. I’ll tell you, after seeing Notre Dame’s players and IU’s, IU’s look bigger and stronger.”

I hope that's not true.

Comment

Ya that was kind of bothersome to me as well.
                                                                  My hero, the one, the only, Brian Scalabrine

Comment

why? one kids' impression?

you can go compare the reported weights yourselves. and i'm not sure how anyone could determine who is stronger just by looking at players.

too many people overreact with the sky is falling over every little comment made in dicta. i know it's been a long off-season, now let's relax. deep breathing.
                                                                    Last edited by SoCalDomer; 08-12-2008, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Guys before we all start to get to worked up over 2010 kids. Lets remember that its almost a year and a half before they can even sign with any school.

Comment

ND sent Chris a written offer this week.

Comment

looking at scout I noticed we are on high interest combined with usc. Would love to score our first 5* commit (scout) so quickly. Also prolly still a position of need next year.

Comment

This guy is a huge recruit for us, in that he's a linebacker and he's a 5 star beast. From what I've read it was between USC and ND, and we were looking very good, esp considering he has family in Indiana and he was very close with Jappy Oliver.

But of course all that changed when Jappy got fired, errr, resigned, and now the news is not good on him. Now he says he's back at square one, which sucks for us because it looked like we were this close with him. Some of his quotes:

"That was my main guy recruiting me,” Martin said. “Coach (Rob) Ianello is supposed to be recruiting my area, but I had a much better relationship with coach Oliver.“I didn’t even expect him to leave. It was up and kind of out of nowhere. It kind of affected the whole process. He was the only person I had a number for," Martin said. “I don’t have a number for coach (Charlie) Weis or Ianello.”
                                                                            And apparently Martin hasn’t talked to anyone on the Notre Dame’s coaching staff since Oliver’s departure. That's not good news because he wants to commit early:

"It will just be nice to get it out of the way. I feel comfortable enough, that once I decide, I can really focus and have a solid senior season, and prove to everyone why I want to go to school there. Somewhere probably around February I’d like to say. I’d like to make a decision somewhere definitely by the spring, but right now I’m planning on somewhere in February."
                                                                            CW has been out because of surgery, but somebody needs to give this guy a call. I'm sure since these quotes came out last week that somebody has (CW is a master recruiter; I can't believe he'd let this go on the way it has), but I haven't heard about it yet. He'd be a great get to go with 5 star OL Lombard and WR Smith...
                                                                            Last edited by NDinL.A.; 01-27-2009, 10:47 AM.
                                                                            sigpic Silence implies consent.

Comment

• #39
                                                                              I would say it is almost a lost cause at this point.
                                                                              Once we truly come together as a family, nothing can stop us. Its my job to make sure we become that family.

Comment

• #40
                                                                                wow what a waste

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  Why is it a lost cause? I thought he had family in Indiana? Is Jappy Oliver the only reason he had ND that high on his list?

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    I would say that it is not the only reason he had ND on his list but it was a big one. Read above about 3-4 posts.
                                                                                    Once we truly come together as a family, nothing can stop us. Its my job to make sure we become that family.

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      It just tells me that Jappy got fired therefore Martin will not come to ND. That would be a big reason to reconsider however I thought i read somewhere he has family in IN.

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        Originally posted by goldandblue View Post
                                                                                        I would say it is almost a lost cause at this point.
                                                                                        Very good news on him. The mod on DD, who is VERY in-tuned with this sort of thing, said that Polian visited him recently and calmed everything down. Seemed all he needed was a little love. And when Kennard committed to USC (same position), that set up things beautifully for ND. He's going to announce by spring, and ND seems to be in the top spot again...
                                                                                        sigpic Silence implies consent.

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          Good news NDin L.A. thanks for the update.

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            Polian to the rescue. If anybody on this crew deserves a raise, it's Brian Polian We had better keep that man very happy.
                                                                                            The future of Fighting Irish football is looking bright!!!

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              yeah polian is a monster recruiter. he needs a raise

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                Thats good news, however announcing early like this is worrisome.

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  Yeah, Polian is a great recruiter. The ND admin need to pay him good enough so that he doesn't want to move on for a while!

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    Originally posted by irishmarine View Post
                                                                                                    yeah polian is a monster recruiter. he needs a raise
                                                                                                    IF he lands Martin, I say double his salary!!

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X