Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'10 IN WR Daniel Smith (Notre Dame Signee)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '10 IN WR Daniel Smith (Notre Dame Signee)

Wide Receiver
    South Bend, IN; Clay HS

Height: 6-4
    Weight: 205
    Forty: 4.6
    Vertical: 36
    Bench Max: 240
    GPA: 3.6

Ratings and Rankings
    Rivals:
    Scout: ; Wide Receivers (21)

Statistics
    Junior: 51 Receptions; 1,071 Yards; 9 Touchdowns

Schools of Interest
    Notre Dame (Verbal; 1/26; Rob Ianello)
    Purdue
    Indiana
    Last edited by Jason Pham; 07-04-2009, 10:25 AM.

he visited last year for the USC game. he also camped at ND last weekend and put on a very impressive show, catching the eye of CW.

He has a sister who went to ND and she married Gerome Sapp.

Comment

well hopefully he can teach this kid some stuff once he commits to notre dame

Comment

Being close to South Bend, Daniel has been able to accept the coaches' invites to every home game so far.

It's hard to tell if he will be in the next wave of offers that go out. I suppose that will depend on the remainer of his Junior season and how the 2009 class shapes up at the WR position and the numbers overall.

Comment

Quiet Smith quite a catch
          By AL LESAR
          Tribune Columnist

SOUTH BEND — Size sets him apart. Talent gives him the edge.

Attitude makes him special.

For a 6-foot-4, 205-pound junior wide receiver phenom for the Clay High football team, Daniel Smith knows how to bite off more than a slice of humble pie.

"I'm a quiet guy," Smith said. "If you walk into a room, I won't be the first person you notice in a crowd."

According to Zach Matthews, a key defensive player for St. Joseph's, he's the first person the Indians noticed on the football field last week.

"Before every play, it'd be, 'Where's Smith? Where's Smith?'" Matthews said after the Indians' win in a wild game last Friday.

By the time St. Joe's double coverage found Smith, it was usually at the end of a pass completion. He caught five passes for about 150 yards, including a 35-yard touchdown.
          free: South Bend Tribune: Quiet Smith quite a catch

Comment

I saw Smith play last night against Lowell. Lowell won 49-20, but Smith looked like a great player. He showed tremendous body control, made some great catches, and was very hard to bring down. He also is a very physical receiver and very well-built for a high school junior. I found myself wondering if he might even grow into a tight end for the Irish. He is very physical.

Comment

He is declaring today. Is it official yet?

Comment

Not sure if it's official yet, but it seems like it's gonna happen. Like what I'm reading about him. He's now listed as 6'4" 205 with 4.6 speed. Hope he's a great recruiter like the Caveman was for us last year.
                The future of Fighting Irish football is looking bright!!!

Comment

I love how we get the Indiana wide receiever each year a year and change before national signing day!

Comment

we have to keep home grown talent at home

Comment

later this afternoon and seems as if ND is the school of choice

Notre Dame bound? Clay WR Daniel Smith to make college choice Monday

Comment

Great start too this class and with No Golics and kickers this should be one of CW best classes yet if he can win 9-10 games!
                        https://v.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/D1C6B...y7Fmd4l5Hk9eP4

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyND07 View Post
                          Great start too this class and with No Golics and kickers this should be one of CW best classes yet if he can win 9-10 games!
                          I agree. The winning is huge this year for recruiting.
                          Once we truly come together as a family, nothing can stop us. Its my job to make sure we become that family.

Comment

Originally posted by sportallyr View Post
                            Not sure if it's official yet, but it seems like it's gonna happen. Like what I'm reading about him. He's now listed as 6'4" 205 with 4.6 speed. Hope he's a great recruiter like the Caveman was for us last year.
                            Yeah Sporty, he is a big boy. Love it. This article says he is a great athlete that can play a multitude of positions. And it seems that right when we offered him, he announced his press conference to choose his college. Sounds like a dream come true for this kid.

South Bend Tribune: Clay's Smith expected to choose ND
                            sigpic Silence implies consent.

Comment

He is announcing right now at Clay High School. It's definitely Notre Dame, i know this kid. He is the real deal. It's actually amazing that he has been this good because his quarterback is not very good, or the o-line. Great pick up for the Irish.

Comment

Originally posted by adsnorri View Post
                                He is announcing right now at Clay High School. It's definitely Notre Dame, i know this kid. He is the real deal. It's actually amazing that he has been this good because his quarterback is not very good, or the o-line. Great pick up for the Irish.
                                Thanks for the info, and it's official, he's Irish!

(Poor kid doesn't realize that announcing this early officially drops his star rating at least one star, per rivals.com rules. LOL)

Welcome aboard!
                                sigpic Silence implies consent.

Comment

Originally posted by NDinL.A. View Post
                                  Thanks for the info, and it's official, he's Irish!

(Poor kid doesn't realize that announcing this early officially drops his star rating at least one star, per rivals.com rules. LOL)

Welcome aboard!
                                  Doesn't matter when he announces, now that he's announced, he's officially outside the top 100 for next year. I'm very happy for Dan, I think he'll come in and do a great job for us. I'm not sure who posted it, but Gerome has already been working with him, since he got started in football I believe.

Comment

Great to hear. Welcome aboard Dan.
                                    GO IRISH!

Comment

Welcome to the team Daniel. Now, it's time to go to work...both on and off the field. The Caveman showed us how important it is to have a local kid help us with the recruiting. I think this is a fantastic early commitment for the irish!!!!
                                      The future of Fighting Irish football is looking bright!!!

Comment

I love it! ND needs more kids like him.

Comment

video clips from uhnd
                                          Video: Daniel Smith - 2010 WR Commit Highlights - UHND.com Blog

guys a pretty impressive hitter as well as reciever

Comment

Welcome to the family Dan, it's good to have you join.

Comment

It's always great to see a kid live out his childhood dream...I wish him all the best!!

Comment

Profile updated.

Comment

I watched the video on him and he reminds me of Floyd when he was in HS. Maybe it's just me...

Comment

Welcome aboard Daniel. That Hawaii game is the beginning of our turnaround, ND will be BACK on the MAP IN A BIG WAY. LETS GO IRISHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                                    Check out my blog building4thefuture.blogspot.com. Its all sports. Irish, NFL DRAFT PROSPECT PREVIEWS, Mets, Mavericks, and Islanders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Good hands, runs excellent routes. A very big target. 6-4 Smith along with 6-7 Kyle rudolph and 6-3 Mike Floyd will create fits for opposing defenses. Just imagine the endzone fad routes.

Comment

the endzone fades will be glorious but its the over the middle stuff that should really open up and then tate streaming down the sideline that what im excited for

Comment

Originally posted by irishmarine View Post
                                                          the endzone fades will be glorious but its the over the middle stuff that should really open up and then tate streaming down the sideline that what im excited for

10-4 me too Sir..... Golden keeps it up he could be a legit Heisman contender

Comment

According to South Bend Tribune, Daniel hurt his knee

South Bend Tribune: Cameron ignites Clay

Comment

This guy's highlight tape is sick. His quarterback sucks and he has to battle for every pass. The most impressive highlight is a tremendous catch on a slant, Smith slips on the turf, falls to his knees, leaps off of his knees, falls backward and makes an impressive catch. I can't wait to see him on the fade routes from Clausen in 2010.

Comment

He looks good, however he will never catch a pass from jimmy. He will not play as a freshman and jimmy will be gone by the time that smith plays.

Comment

Originally posted by nthurman View Post
                                                                  He looks good, however he will never catch a pass from jimmy.
                                                                  In practice maybe!
                                                                  2013 IE College Fantasy Football Champion

Comment

Originally posted by ClausentoFloyd View Post
                                                                    This guy's highlight tape is sick. His quarterback sucks and he has to battle for every pass. The most impressive highlight is a tremendous catch on a slant, Smith slips on the turf, falls to his knees, leaps off of his knees, falls backward and makes an impressive catch. I can't wait to see him on the fade routes from Clausen in 2010.
                                                                    Agreed. Oh by the way nice name...Did I give you inspiration? I hope you don't jinx Floyd like I did to Kamara!!! Ha. Welcome aboard bro.

Comment

Originally posted by Clausen2Kamara View Post
                                                                      Agreed. Oh by the way nice name...Did I give you inspiration? I hope you don't jinx Floyd like I did to Kamara!!! Ha. Welcome aboard bro.
                                                                      Kamara sucked last season, but I don't see Floyd having a Soph slump!

Comment

Agreed. I think Floyd has a much better work ethic and will come into camp as a stud, not an overweight receiver wearing a number in the 60's...
                                                                        The yellow mustard pants are hideous and have to go.

Comment

Profile updated.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalDomer View Post
                                                                            Wide Receiver
                                                                            South Bend, IN; Clay HS

Height: 6-4
                                                                            Weight: 205
                                                                            Forty: 4.6
                                                                            Vertical: 36
                                                                            Bench Max: 240
                                                                            GPA: 3.6

Ratings and Rankings
                                                                            Rivals:
                                                                            Scout: ; Wide Receivers (21)

Statistics
                                                                            Junior: 51 Receptions; 1,071 Yards; 9 Touchdowns

Schools of Interest
                                                                            Notre Dame (Verbal; 1/26; Rob Ianello)
                                                                            Purdue
                                                                            Indiana
                                                                            Under schools of interest heading, what does the 1/26 mean? Is it date committed?

Comment

• #39
                                                                              Originally posted by DiveRightIn View Post
                                                                              Under schools of interest heading, what does the 1/26 mean? Is it date committed?
                                                                              Yes, and the next item is his ND recruiter, Rob Ianello

Comment

• #40
                                                                                Had 3 catches for 66 yards on last Saturday.
                                                                                2011 Irish Envy Fantasy Football Champion

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  let me add the weather was shitty and rained hard.

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    Also, team has new coaching staff/quarterback, which both looked horrible. Smith was not getting the touches he should have, even when streaking down the field wide open, waving his hands. Coach looked like he wanted to use him more as a decoy. The team they played is not that great but interestingly has some former ND football players coaching it, including Darius Walker, helping out.

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      130 yards and 2 tds at his game
                                                                                      2011 Irish Envy Fantasy Football Champion

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        Still solid.
                                                                                        Clay's Daniel Smith sticking with Notre Dame no matter what

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          does anyone know his stats for this year b/c my old OC is his HC now and he runs the spread offense at clay now and i just wanted to know

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            60 receptions for exactly 1000 yards as a senior. He had 51 catches for 1071 yards as a junior.

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              Originally posted by bornready85 View Post
                                                                                              60 receptions for exactly 1000 yards as a senior. He had 51 catches for 1071 yards as a junior.
                                                                                              thanks

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                Compliments of adsnorri

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3ORpqlem0BQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3ORpqlem0BQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  Originally posted by Panther View Post
                                                                                                  YouTube - Gehrig Dieter Washington HS Game #1 2010

Smith is good kid but never would go over the middle to get a ball. His catches were based on out jumping small corners. #4 was all over the field on both sides of ball.
                                                                                                  Gman is a stud
                                                                                                  Panther, doesn't look like you've seen much of Daniel Smith. Yes, he does catch balls by out jumping the "small" corners. But let's be candid, so did Stovall, McKnight, Shark, Tate, and Floyd. That's the primary reason to recruit "tall" reveivers and create mismatches.

But if you watch that video you'll see Smith makes catches on the sidelines, downfield, AND over the middle. He isn't a one act pony. He makes nice catches with his back to the QB AND his back to the defenders - in traffic. I thought the most impressive catch was at the 3:50 mark where his feet come out from under him and slips to the ground but bounces up and with outstretched arms makes a tremendous catch. Smith makes a lot of his catches with his hands - away from his body. Something that many talented HS receivers don't do.

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    Some coaches recruit kids that have the raw tools to play the game...and then the coach molds the kid to their strenghts. I think Daniel is going to be a good player at ND...tall, athletic, and a GREAT attitude.
                                                                                                    "The good lord put eyes in front of your head rather than in back so you can see where you're going rather than where you've been." Lou Holtz

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X