Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'09 HI WR Robby Toma (Notre Dame Verbal)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '09 HI WR Robby Toma (Notre Dame Verbal)

Robby Toma - Wide Receiver (5'9";160lbs)
    Punahou (Honolulu, HI)

Combine
    Forty: 4.45 Seconds
    Bench Reps: N/A
    Bench Max: N/A
    Squat Max: N/A
    Shuttle: 4.22 Seconds
    Vertical: 34 Inches
    GPA: N/A

Star Ratings
    Rivals:
    Scout:

Rankings and Accolades
    N/A

Statistics
    2008: No. 82; Yds 1,380; Avg 16.8; TDs 19

Schools of Interest
    Notre Dame (Solid Verbal)
    UCLA

Multimedia
    N/A
    Last edited by Jason Pham; 02-06-2009, 11:02 AM.

Awesome welcome to ND Robby.
    GO IRISH!

Comment

I think people really need to chill out about Toma joining the Irish, I simply couldn't be happier about this. Charlie doesn't extend pitty scholarships and he must have seen something in this kid, especially if he offered 4 weeks ago and only recently was it known that the Irish extended an offer.

Welcome to the team Robby, I look forward to your amazing speed and hopefully the many hurtles over safeties in the future ;)

Comment

Originally posted by WeisWeisBaby View Post
        I think people really need to chill out about Toma joining the Irish, I simply couldn't be happier about this. Charlie doesn't extend pitty scholarships and he must have seen something in this kid, especially if he offered 4 weeks ago and only recently was it known that the Irish extended an offer.

Welcome to the team Robby, I look forward to your amazing speed and hopefully the many hurtles over safeties in the future ;)
        amen, he's part of the family now.

Comment

Really nice write up on Toma from irishsportsdaily.com. Link below.

Little Big Man -

Comment

It is a nice article.

And he gave me the Fighting Irish sign with his fists
            I don't think I've ever heard that expression, "the Fighting Irish sign". I take it he posed like the Leprechaun. Fitting.

I would have loved to see Joey Getherall in Weis's offense. Toma's a tad bigger but perhaps a tad slower. Should be interesting.

Comment

Hey jonesman.

Not to call u out. But u has more tds Roma or Shaq.
              2011 Irish Envy Fantasy Football Champion

Comment

NICE TOUCHDOWN ROBBY!!!! HAWAII BOY REPRESENT!!!!!!

CHEEE HUUUUUU GO IRISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I have really liked Toma ever since he had the chance to replace Theo a bit last year...tough, precise, sure-handed sonofagun. It's too bad that Theo has had such a hard time getting it together this season, or Coach would have been able to spare more snaps for Robbie. It is hard not to like Toma. Hope you get a lot of future reps, young man.

Comment

Our Wes Welker.

Comment

I wish we would use him more and Theo lined up in the backfield.

Comment

I like Robby too, but Wes Welker may be a bit of a stretch and Theo in the back field would be too many backs for us.

2 is company; 3 is a crowd.
                        "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

Really wish that Weis had redshirted him in 09.

Comment

I don't mean Theo at the same time anybody else is in the backfield. You can never have to many good running backs.

Comment

Originally posted by georgia irish View Post
                              I don't mean Theo at the same time anybody else is in the backfield. You can never have to many good running backs.
                              Yes, you can. I haven't seen us put two backs on the field at the same time yet. Putting Theo in the backfield would negate carries from both Jonas and Cierre who have done great and reduce touches from Theo as well. Having Theo in the slot makes it possible to have a combination of Floyd, Eifert, Riddick, and either Jonas or Cierre which is just dream-like.

I think Toma is good, but I don't think he is as dynamic as any of those guys. Toma has a good role as is. When we go 5 wide or when Theo needs a break he is there for us which is fantastic. He is very serviceable.
                              "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

It was great to see how happy everyone was for Toma after he scored. Toma also gave a shoutout to our old friend Shaq Evans for scoring his first TD over twitter

Comment

It says a ton when you saw how happy every single guy on the team was for him. Great moment.
                                  Project ahead when you think of what university you want to bring your family to as an alum. If it isnt Notre Dame then you should go to another school-from a subway alumni

Comment

Originally posted by irishtrain View Post
                                    It says a ton when you saw how happy every single guy on the team was for him. Great moment.
                                    I agree. That was a special moment for a special player. The kid works his butt off and everyone was so happy for him.

Comment

Toma tackles size, wins over teammates - Notre Dame Football Blog - ESPN

Here is a good article I found on Robby Toma. It's funny hpw he lined up against Manti in his first even tackling drill in Pop Warner.

Comment

I would like to see Robby get more touches. Not as explosive as Riddick but more sure handed. I will take that anyday. You don't always need a HR, sometimes a bunt will do.

Comment

Roby Toma reminds me of Dane Sanzenbacher, the former Ohio State wide-receiver. The measurables suggest he shouldn't be able to play Division I football, but the on-field results suggest otherwise.

For those of you who remember Fred Biletnikoff (yes, the guy who the award was named after), there are similarities. Fred Biletnikoff was always too small or too slow, and every year he was going to lose his spot to someone faster or taller. But the critics overlooked two things, Biletnikoff was always open and he never dropped passes that reached his hands. In short, Biletnikoff was the quarterback's best-friend on the field, a wide-open receiver who could catch anything thrown his way.

If I'm the quarterback, I'd prefer the receivers who get open and catch the ball over receivers taller and faster with hands of stone. Toma appears to be one of those clutch receivers. More minutes please!

Greg

Comment

I love Toma. Wish he would get more opportunities.

Toma! Toma! Toma!
                                            #TeamKizer

Comment

Our boy Robby!!!

University of Notre Dame Official Athletic Site

Comment

Originally posted by arrowryan View Post
                                                Awesome. You the man Toma.

Comment

How could anybody not love him?

Comment

Originally posted by arrowryan View Post
                                                    Watched the video. He didn't talk himself up at all and was excessively modest. Seems like a great guy.
                                                    The one who knocks.

Comment

Love that kid!
                                                      "The good lord put eyes in front of your head rather than in back so you can see where you're going rather than where you've been." Lou Holtz

Comment

bulked up to 195 pounds.... Robby is gonna be a nightmare for defenses.....

Comment

Originally posted by HawaiianIrish View Post
                                                          I think nightmare might be overstating things.

Comment

Originally posted by Buster Bluth View Post
                                                            I think nightmare might be overstating things.
                                                            Not when it's 3rd and whatever and he catches the ball just past the sticks over and over. That's a nightmare for a defense.

Comment

bulked up to 180 pounds.... Davonte is gonna be a nightmare for defenses.....
                                                              Fixed

Comment

You guys do realize that we are 26 days away from being quicker than fast right?

Comment

Thanks for the chuckle.

Comment

Originally posted by irishfanjho15 View Post
                                                                    Not when it's 3rd and whatever and he catches the ball just past the sticks over and over. That's a nightmare for a defense.
                                                                    You're joking, right?

Clausen with Tate, Floyd, and Rudolph was a nightmare for defenses.

Golson with Cierre, Eifert, and hopefully Riddick and Co could be a nightmare for defenses.

Robby Toma, as much as I'd love to see him do well, is not a nightmare for defenses.

Comment

Someone's Jimmies are rustled

Comment

I like Toma but nightmare for the defense isn't what comes to mind when we talk about him. He's not Wes Welker, but he's a nice slot man.

Comment

Its a shameful display that Toma's thread has so few posts

Comment

Toma has great receiving techniques. I don't think that I have ever seen him drop a ball during a game.

Comment

• #39
                                                                              Originally posted by clashmore_mike View Post
                                                                              Someone's Jimmies are rustled
                                                                              Overzealous preseason hype should be a mortal sin.

Comment

• #40
                                                                                Originally posted by frankygoes69 View Post
                                                                                Toma has great receiving techniques. I don't think that I have ever seen him drop a ball during a game.
                                                                                Common misconception, probably due to Toma's 73% catch rate on passing downs. When ND needed to move the chains in late 2011, and defenses were honing in on Floyd and Eifert, Toma was pretty dependable (when Rees bothered to look for him). But on standard downs, he was not good-- 55%, which is by far the worst of our WRs who were targeted with any consistency.

Toma's a scrappy underdog, and a really likable guy, but let's not overstate his contributions on the field last year.

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  You're joking, right?

Clausen with Tate, Floyd, and Rudolph was a nightmare for defenses.

Golson with Cierre, Eifert, and hopefully Riddick and Co could be a nightmare for defenses.

Robby Toma, as much as I'd love to see him do well, is not a nightmare for defenses.
                                                                                  No I'm not joking.

I never once said Toma strikes fear into the hearts of defenses. As is obvious from my post, I was saying a guy that can consistently move the sticks on third down is a nightmare for defenses. Which is exactly the type of player I see Toma as. A guy who can find a open area, sit down, and make a catch to help his team. Exactly the type of receiver I was in college because I wasn't exactly blessed with a lot of speed.

Not being able to get off the field on third down is a nightmare for defenses.

I usually don't have a problem with you, but maybe you should figure out what people are saying before you go on one of your overtly critical spews.
                                                                                  Last edited by irishfanjho15; 08-06-2012, 12:12 AM.

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    Overzealous preseason hype should be a mortal sin.
                                                                                    And here it is again. Columbus must have really rubbed off on you.

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      Originally posted by magogian View Post
                                                                                      Well no one knew who he was until the day before NSD, so there wasn't time to build up a bunch of comments for him.

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        Originally posted by magogian View Post
                                                                                        So get to work!

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          Originally posted by irishfanjho15 View Post
                                                                                          And here it is again. Columbus must have really rubbed off on you.
                                                                                          He's still P.O. cause they wouldn't let him dot the "i".

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            I'll make a comment. With Collinsworth out, I bet Toma returns some punts this year. He is an upper classman, has sure hands, he's super-quick, and he is dying to be on the field.

He could also take Collinsworth's place on KRs. Neal should eventually be the guy, but I think we start with Toma.

As far as pure speed, Brown and G. Attkinson are ahead of him, but I would not risk a CB or our true deep threat, if I were Kelly.

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              Last edited by TerryTate; 08-06-2012, 11:47 AM.

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                ^
                                                                                                Could be BK's boy...

Toma in 20 years?

Comment

• #49

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    I guess 76 degrees in August must feel cold for a kid from Hawaii. LOL

Toma rocking a hoodie on the Bill King show today.
                                                                                                    Twitter / SiriusXMCollege: Down the line we move as @125NDFB ...

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X