Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '08 MI RB Jonas Gray (Signed LOI to ND)

Jonas Gray - RB (5'10"/213lbs)
    Country Day High School (Beverly Hills, MI)

Schools of Interest:
    Nebraska
    Michigan
    Notre Dame (Solid Verbal)
    Ohio State
    Minnesota
    Illinois
    Michigan St.
    Florida
    LSU

Local Press: MLive.com, Detroit News

Combine
    Forty: 4.43
    Bench Reps: 18
    Bench Max: 295
    Squat Max: 430
    Shuttle: 4.24
    Vertical: 36"
    GPA: 3.2

Star Ratings
    Rivals:
    Scout:

Statistics
    2004 -
    2005 - 797 Ru Yds, 15 Ru TDs
    2006 - 1,252 Ru Yds, 19 Ru TDs
    2007 - 1,674 Ru Yds, 24 Ru TDs (so far)

Accolades
    2004 -
    2005 -
    2006 -
    2007 - Rivals 100, Rivals #3 RB, Scout 300, Scout #13 RB, ESPN 150, ESPN #12 RB

Articles & Resource Links
    Jonas Gray's YouTube Highlights
    Last edited by GoshenGipper; 11-23-2007, 05:53 PM.

Jonas was recently featured in an article on Rivals and stated that Notre Dame is his favorite right now. He also already has an offer from Penn State.

Comment

Originally posted by Svoboda
      He also already has an offer from Penn State.
      i didn't think players could be offered any sooner than Sept. 2nd of their junior year.

Comment

Originally posted by IRISHMAN
        i didn't think players could be offered any sooner than Sept. 2nd of their junior year.
        True. But it's more of a guaruntee that you'll get an official offer when it's possible.

Comment

Yes, Rucker is fast, but he isn't the only fast guy in the Country Day backfield. In the opener, he was outdone by junior teammate Jonas Gray, who gained 211 yards on 19 carries and scored five touchdowns, including a 77-yard kickoff return. Gray finished fourth in the 100 meters (11.23), and he and Rucker were part of the winning 800 and 400 relay teams.

"Jonas is 5-9, 215, and he's a train," MacLean said. "He's got legs like a thoroughbred. When he gets his shoulders square and gets a crease, he's gone. While Jonas is power, Chris is very elusive and very quick. They're fun to watch."
          If you want to read the rest of the article, it was from the Detroit Free Press. I've got to believe Jonas will be receiving an offer on Friday.

Comment

5'9'' and 215? Damn!! And he's got wheels? Just like McDonalds...I'm Lovin It.
            Yeah, I brought back the side piece of ass thanks to ulukinatme.

Comment

Detroit Country Day 20, Flint Powers 14: Ben Rosenfeld threw two touchdown passes and Jonas Gray had 76 yards rushing and a touchdown for Country Day (2-0).

Comment

Jonas Gray (my Nephew)

Thanks for the love...Jonas sure appreciates it.....Notre Dame is his first choice, and thats a fact....he's loved that school since the Jerome Bettis days.

But he didn't receive a formal offer yet from the Irish...he did receive an invite to come to some of their home games this season.....hopefully Coach Weis will send a formal offer soon.....he'll be getting a great football player, but a better person in Jonas

Go to www.thewolverine.com to see the lastest highlights from Jonas game

Comment

With the O line recruits we are hauling in, Jonas could be getting plenty of love in 2 years!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ddenham View Post
                    Thanks for the love...Jonas sure appreciates it.....Notre Dame is his first choice, and thats a fact....he's loved that school since the Jerome Bettis days.

But he didn't receive a formal offer yet from the Irish...he did receive an invite to come to some of their home games this season.....hopefully Coach Weis will send a formal offer soon.....he'll be getting a great football player, but a better person in Jonas

Thanks for the info. The initial offer list was very very small. And I believe the few guys who got them were at ND camps last summer, if I'm not mistaken. I hope your nephew gets one. Here's to a healthy and successful jr. season for him.

Comment

You're Jonas Gray's uncle? Welcome to the board! It's always amazing to me that recruits and their relatives show up on these boards.

I'm a Michigan native and Jerome Bettis fan, also. I'll be rooting for Jonas to get his offer from Notre Dame. He sounds like a great kid. Please let us know if Jonas gets his offer.

Comment

Jonas will be on the sidelines Saturday

Jonas received a invite from the Irish to be one of the recruites at Saturdays game against the Wolverines....should be a great time

Comment

Jonas received a invite from the Irish to be one of the recruites at Saturdays game against the Wolverines....should be a great time
                          Great news. What a game to see.

Comment

Thanks!

Originally posted by knute View Post
                            You're Jonas Gray's uncle? Welcome to the board! It's always amazing to me that recruits and their relatives show up on these boards.

I'm a Michigan native and Jerome Bettis fan, also. I'll be rooting for Jonas to get his offer from Notre Dame. He sounds like a great kid. Please let us know if Jonas gets his offer.
                            Thanks for the love! We look forward to this weekend, should be a great game.

Comment

Thanks so much!

Originally posted by scooper View Post
                              Thanks for the info. The initial offer list was very very small. And I believe the few guys who got them were at ND camps last summer, if I'm not mistaken. I hope your nephew gets one. Here's to a healthy and successful jr. season for him.
                              We appreciate the support!

Comment

Thanks for the love! We look forward to this weekend, should be a great game.
                                Welcome to this site and here's hoping for the best for your nephew. Sounds like a fantastic athlete, and also a great young man. Best of luck to Jonas and here's hoping the visit goes well this weekend. Enjoy the experience and Go Irish!
                                Yeah, I brought back the side piece of ass thanks to ulukinatme.

Comment

Birmingham Detroit Country Day 40, Ann Arbor Huron 0: Junior tailback Jonas Gray rushed for 188 yards on 15 carries and scored three touchdowns for Country Day (4-1). Senior quarterback Ben Rosenfield went 4-for-4 passing with 104 yards and two touchdowns.

Source: Detroit Free Press

Comment

BIRMINGHAM -- Detroit Country Day took advantage of six turnovers to roll in its district opener over visiting Macomb Lutheran North, 41-12.

Country Day (8-2) will face Madison Heights Madison next week in a Division 5 district final.

In the first quarter, Country Day jumped out to a 14-0 lead, thanks to two scoring plays in a 2:11 span.

The first came when senior quarterback Ben Rosenfeld connected with senior wide receiver Erik Williams on an 18-yard touchdown pass.

Moments later, junior linebacker Erik Rebbe returned an interception 63 yards for a touchdown.

After North cut the lead to 14-6, Country Day safety Chris Rucker picked off a pass and returned it 72 yards for a touchdown. After the ensuing kickoff, North (7-3) fumbled on the first play.

Country Day turned that mistake into another touchdown -- a 44-yard run by Jonas Gray, giving Country Day a 28-6 lead at the half.

Gray, who had 212 yards and three touchdowns on 20 carries, sealed the victory with another rushing touchdown in the third quarter.

Source: Detroit News

Comment

This kid is the real deal. He's one of my top backs in 2008.

Comment

He will be a stud for the Blue and Gold.

I can't wait for you to be Irish!

Comment

Sounds like a great guy... but... DCD!?!?

Ugh.

(I went to Cranbrook. As so often quoted from 8 mile, that's a private school. And DCD's private school rival. Luckily we don't play them in football. We'd get whupped. However, we beat them in lax last year. Twice. Go cranes.)

Comment

Dcd

DCD is one of those schools you just can't trust so you never know with them.

Comment

Looks like Jonas just joined IrishEnvy. Nice to see you here Jonas. Let me be the first to welcome you to IrishEnvy.

Comment

Originally posted by tedwick View Post
                                                Sounds like a great guy... but... DCD!?!?

Ugh.

(I went to Cranbrook. As so often quoted from 8 mile, that's a private school. And DCD's private school rival. Luckily we don't play them in football. We'd get whupped. However, we beat them in lax last year. Twice. Go cranes.)

Nice, to see a Cranbrook guy on here. I'm currently at De La Salle, although we aren't really rivals, we have our moments. I wish Notre Dame would look at my schools RB this year. He's quite good, and is starting to get offers. He racked up over 1,600 yards this year and over 20 TD's. At the Midwest combine he had the fastest 40 (4.4) and the highest vertical (41"). With a few years of work he could really be something. Just look for Jimmy Berezik's name somewhere in college football next year.
                                                What Freud said about the Irish is: We're the only people who are impervious to psychoanalysis.

Comment

notice that tedwick does not have his hands up

Comment

Hopefully Jonas will be Irish. You can't find a whole lot of great players that are also great people. Jonas, from what I have heard and read, is one of those guys and those guys thrive at ND. What a great way to start out the 08' recruiting by landing a top RB in Jonas and a top WR in Michael Flyod. With Jimmy coming in this year, that is going to be one heck of an offense.

Comment

I met him at the Michigan game this year and talked to him and he told me ND was his first choice. I know that isnt news to anybody on hear but what struck me is how well spoken he was. I hope Charlie gets him a 'ship soon because it would be nice to get the 2008 class rollin.

Comment

Originally posted by laxkid23 View Post
                                                        Nice, to see a Cranbrook guy on here. I'm currently at De La Salle, although we aren't really rivals, we have our moments. I wish Notre Dame would look at my schools RB this year. He's quite good, and is starting to get offers. He racked up over 1,600 yards this year and over 20 TD's. At the Midwest combine he had the fastest 40 (4.4) and the highest vertical (41"). With a few years of work he could really be something. Just look for Jimmy Berezik's name somewhere in college football next year.
                                                        Was at home over thanksgiving and was watching the DLS-Muskeegon(sp?) game. You guys got jobbed. I can't believe how that game ended. But yeah, Berezik was pretty sick. Saw a couple sweet runs. He'll be good.

Oh, and what's with DLS's quarterback? He's got to be 5'9" 150, MAX. He's got the ugliest floater bombs ever! That being said, #5 was REALLY good at tracking those down, whoever he is. He was actually the player that impressed me the most in the game, even that fumble. (ugh)

Comment

FYI: Gray is looking at MSU.

Comment

Originally posted by tedwick View Post
                                                            Was at home over thanksgiving and was watching the DLS-Muskeegon(sp?) game. You guys got jobbed. I can't believe how that game ended. But yeah, Berezik was pretty sick. Saw a couple sweet runs. He'll be good.

Oh, and what's with DLS's quarterback? He's got to be 5'9" 150, MAX. He's got the ugliest floater bombs ever! That being said, #5 was REALLY good at tracking those down, whoever he is. He was actually the player that impressed me the most in the game, even that fumble. (ugh)
                                                            The QB, Lewis, he is more like 5'11". This was his first year playing QB, but we have a much better throwing QB that sits out behind him. And Number 5 is Don Fowler. He is also one of the best basketball players in the state. The first 3 games this year he averaged aobut 27 or 28 points. He's a great athlete.

Even with the fumble it was a great game. I still don't believe it happened, it was unbelievable. But I'm proud of my school, we are close to number 1 in the state in every sport this year. So I'm content with it all, especially with the fact that we went to the championship. Mainly because I called it freshman year that we would.
                                                            What Freud said about the Irish is: We're the only people who are impervious to psychoanalysis.

Comment

5'9" 215 is a huge body... that's great size for a junior in high school. ddenham, if you are reading this, notre dame or not, make sure you get this kid into an agility program... he can really maximize his potential that way. and oh yeah focus on those grades.

Comment

He was named to the first team AAA combine team at rb. I hope ND still leads for this guy because he is a stud.

Comment

Originally posted by brownkj002 View Post
                                                                  He was named to the first team AAA combine team at rb. I hope ND still leads for this guy because he is a stud.
                                                                  He's pretty much between Michigan and Notre Dame it seems. The Irish appear to still be his leaders by a decent margin.

Comment

Jonas reports a 3.2 GPA. You have to love reports like this one...

Yes, Rucker is fast, but he isn't the only fast guy in the Country Day backfield. In the opener, he was outdone by junior teammate Jonas Gray, who gained 211 yards on 19 carries and scored five touchdowns, including a 77-yard kickoff return. Gray finished fourth in the 100 meters (11.23), and he and Rucker were part of the winning 800 and 400 relay teams.

"Jonas is 5-9, 215, and he's a train," MacLean said. "He's got legs like a thoroughbred. When he gets his shoulders square and gets a crease, he's gone. While Jonas is power, Chris is very elusive and very quick. They're fun to watch."
                                                                    Outlined against a blue-gray October sky, the Four Horsemen rode again. In dramatic lore they are known as Famine, Pestilence, Destruction and Death. These are only aliases. Their real names are Stuhldreher, Miller, Crowley and Layden. They formed the crest of the South Bend cyclone before which another fighting Army football team was swept over the precipice at the Polo Grounds yesterday afternoon as 55,000 spectators peered down on the bewildering panorama spread on the green plain below. - Grantland Rice 1924 :clover:

:football: Brown, ND's first-year defensive coordinator, played at Michigan."(Brown) said if he would have gotten offered by Notre Dame," Slaughter said, "he would have gone to Notre Dame." :football:

I like to quote myself - GoshenGipper

Comment

I hope we get McGuffie (speed) and Gray (power) this year as our two running backs and continue the tradition of power & lightning every year :)

Comment

I'm a huge fan of J Gray. But, is he really considered a "power" back? I thought he was only 5'9" - 5'10"

Comment

After Notre Dame picked up Robert Hughes, it was rumored that Gray moved Michigan to the top of his list.

Comment

Jonas made the All-Combine team at the AAA Jr. Combine, and on his interview last night which aired on Irish Tuesdays he said his top five are Michigan, Illinois, BC, Notre Dame, and Northwestern.

He already has offers from Colorado, and Michigan St., plus he expects Michigan to offer today.
                                                                            Last edited by GoshenGipper; 02-21-2007, 02:12 PM.
                                                                            Outlined against a blue-gray October sky, the Four Horsemen rode again. In dramatic lore they are known as Famine, Pestilence, Destruction and Death. These are only aliases. Their real names are Stuhldreher, Miller, Crowley and Layden. They formed the crest of the South Bend cyclone before which another fighting Army football team was swept over the precipice at the Polo Grounds yesterday afternoon as 55,000 spectators peered down on the bewildering panorama spread on the green plain below. - Grantland Rice 1924 :clover:

:football: Brown, ND's first-year defensive coordinator, played at Michigan."(Brown) said if he would have gotten offered by Notre Dame," Slaughter said, "he would have gone to Notre Dame." :football:

Comment

• #39
                                                                              considering his past comments about Weis, don't look for him to come our way.

Comment

• #40
                                                                                ND is slipping with Jonas. They are borderline top 5 now. It seems that ND's depth at RB is a concern for Jonas.

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  Gray wasn't even going to receiver an offer in my opinion.

Considering that he thinks Weis is a good OC, but not a real good Head Coach, why would ND offer him?

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    I'm not sold on him and I don't think the Irish staff is either. I don't think he gets an early offer from Weis & Co.

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      Based on the offers he has Jonas's top school is Florida, and they are followed by a group that includes Minnesota, Michigan State, Iowa, Colorado and Illinois. Neither Michigan or Notre Dame has offered Jonas, but he still has a lot of interest in both school, and he plans on comming to ND's Camp. H will also be visiting Colorado, Florida, Michigan and Penn State this summer and he wants to decide somtime around the end of Sept. He also talked very favorably about his relationship with Coach Brown.
                                                                                      Last edited by GoshenGipper; 05-09-2007, 10:19 PM.

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        Profile updated from O$U combine results and pictures added.

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          I remember reading a headline that he was MVP at the Purdue camp (the one where Rudolph lit things up) so that is very impressive. If his 40 number is correct, he seems like a very impressive back.

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            urban the liar is the leader for jonas gray.carlton thomas come on down!GO IRISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              We already have a few RB offers out and are only taking 1 so I wouldn't expect him to get an offer especially when leading for Thomas.

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                Jonas just picked up offers from Tennessee, and Wisconsin too. I'd like to see ND offer him. If they did then they would have offers out to four RBs with some level of real interest, and if that were the case the would be almost sure to get at least one really good one out of the the group.

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  Jonas has been invited to ND's upcomming Elite Camp, but weather he'll be attending is unknown at this point.

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    It sounds like there should be quite some talent coming to the ND camp. I'm really looking forward to hearing about how everyone does and to see if any new offers come out.

It's really a shame there isn't more interest in Jonas Gray. He is very highly rated amongst all the top 100 lists (around 50-60 for all of them).

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X