Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'08 FL WR Martavious Odoms (Michigan Verbal)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '08 FL WR Martavious Odoms (Michigan Verbal)

Martavious Odoms (5'8"/164lbs)
    Pahokee HS (Pahokee, FL)

Schools of Interest:
    Florida
    Florida St.
    LSU
    Miami
    S.Carolina
    Michigan
    Notre Dame
    Tennessee
    Texas
    Virginia

Combine
    Forty: 4.57
    Bench Reps: 14
    Bench Max:
    Squat Max:
    Shuttle: 4.31
    Vertical: 31"
    GPA: 2.7

Star Ratings
    Rivals:
    Scout:

Statistics
    2004 -
    2005 -
    2006 -
    2007 - NA

Rankings & Accolades
    2004 -
    2005 -
    2006 -
    2007 - Rivals 250 to watch in '08

Multimedia & Resource Links
    Martavious Odoms's You Tube Highlights
    Last edited by GoshenGipper; 04-27-2007, 11:57 AM.
    Outlined against a blue-gray October sky, the Four Horsemen rode again. In dramatic lore they are known as Famine, Pestilence, Destruction and Death. These are only aliases. Their real names are Stuhldreher, Miller, Crowley and Layden. They formed the crest of the South Bend cyclone before which another fighting Army football team was swept over the precipice at the Polo Grounds yesterday afternoon as 55,000 spectators peered down on the bewildering panorama spread on the green plain below. - Grantland Rice 1924 :clover:

:football: Brown, ND's first-year defensive coordinator, played at Michigan."(Brown) said if he would have gotten offered by Notre Dame," Slaughter said, "he would have gone to Notre Dame." :football:

I like to quote myself - GoshenGipper

Outlined against a blue-gray October sky, the Four Horsemen rode again. In dramatic lore they are known as Famine, Pestilence, Destruction and Death. These are only aliases. Their real names are Stuhldreher, Miller, Crowley and Layden. They formed the crest of the South Bend cyclone before which another fighting Army football team was swept over the precipice at the Polo Grounds yesterday afternoon as 55,000 spectators peered down on the bewildering panorama spread on the green plain below. - Grantland Rice 1924 :clover:

:football: Brown, ND's first-year defensive coordinator, played at Michigan."(Brown) said if he would have gotten offered by Notre Dame," Slaughter said, "he would have gone to Notre Dame." :football:

Comment

first thing that hits me is whether or not he'd be accepted to the school with his GPA?
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK1H-DuFERo

Comment

First thing that hits me is that he's small, and has below average 40 time....

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan View Post
          That caught my attention as well. I'm guessing that the staff sees him as the stretch the field slot WR and it just happens that the 40 time listed was just a really bad day/time for him. I can't imagine him being on the 250 watch list with an official offer if he was a below adverage WR. As for his GPA he has a 2.7 which is a B- adv. in most school systems, which would probably be just fine to get him in as an athlete. He also might be smarter than his GPA would indicate I know of many people that tested higher on their SATs than the adv. for people with their GPA, I know I did. I didn't want to, or always have the time to do all of my home work which brought my grades down in high school, but I almost always tested well. Especially on the GQE (Reqired test to graduate in Indiana), and my SAT. I actually tested a full grade level above my GPA. Another cause could be absents. My high school took away 3% of your grade for any unexcused absents.
          Last edited by GoshenGipper; 03-02-2007, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan View Post
            don't pay attention to the 40 times right now because I swear most are wrong and not in favor of the prospects either. For a good part of the last year some of the recruiting database's info on Joe McKnight said his 40 time was in the 4.7 range and it wasn't just him either there were alot of mistakes.

So I'm betting his numbers are off as well because otherwise I don't think Weis & Co. would offer him if he was just an undersized possession WR.

Comment

He's very small, i didn't even notice that, 5'8 and 164, with a 4.5 fourty time.

I dunno about the times, but I've never seen McKnight as a blazing speed kind of guy as opposed to quick. Mcknight clocked something like a 4.12 on his shuttle time.

Who know, maybe this guy has insane hands?
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK1H-DuFERo

Comment

My high school took away 3% of your grade for any unexcused absents.

Wow I wouldn't have graduated if they reduced grades for absences in my school, skipping 24 days as a senior seems cool at the time but not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by NDBCSChamps View Post
                  My high school took away 3% of your grade for any unexcused absents.

Wow I wouldn't have graduated if they reduced grades for absences in my school, skipping 24 days as a senior seems cool at the time but not so much.
                  They only took away 3% for unexcused ones. If you got a parent to call in it only went aginst the 7 allowed per class per semester. If ou reached 8 then you atomatically Fail the course reguardless of your current grade in the class, unless an administrations board gives you your credit back.

Plus the school calls your house and leaves a message that your student had an unexcused absence today.

Comment

Originally posted by GoshenGipper View Post
                    They only took away 3% for unexcused ones. If you got a parent to call in it only went aginst the 7 allowed per class per semester. If ou reached 8 then you atomatically Fail the course reguardless of your current grade in the class, unless an administrations board gives you your credit back.

Plus the school calls your house and leaves a message that your student had an unexcused absence today.
                    Wow, yeah I lived on my own as a high school senior and knew how to forge parent notes, technically I missed 3 days unexcused all year but really I was gone much more then that. See ya get into college early and then skate through the last part of the year, thank god I wasn't trying for an athletic scholarship.

Comment

I don't think he'll make it for ND. Grades are too low.

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan81 View Post
                        I don't think he'll make it for ND. Grades are too low.
                        Since when is a B- GPA with the possibility of good test scores bad, or too low?

Comment

A 2.6 thats like a C- at best. Plus a kid that big 5-9 160 4.5 if it was 4.3 or 4.4 I would understand what makes Weis want the kid.

Comment

A 2.6 thats like a C- at best. Plus a kid that big 5-9 160 4.5 if it was 4.3 or 4.4 I would understand what makes Weis want the kid.
                            Um, I think you're a little mixed up. 4.0 is an A, 3.0 is a B, 2.0 is a C, and 1.0 is a D, so a 2.7 puts him at a B-, and as far as his 40 time I'm guessing it's wrong, or it was a really bad day. Otherwise he wouldn't have an offer, think about it, who wants a small slow WR, seriously?
                            Last edited by GoshenGipper; 03-05-2007, 05:21 PM.

Comment

I wouldn't want a small slow receiver we want those guys to go to U$C, scUM. Haha.

Comment

Can't we just trust CW et al's judgment on these things? If they've offered the kid, it's because they think he has the brains and athletic ability to cut it. None of us here know anything about Odoms beyond a few numbers that we've seen, so we have no license to talk smack about the kid. (Remember the Nwankwo incident ...)
                                Stoney is a dead man.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnd05 View Post
                                  Can't we just trust CW et al's judgment on these things? If they've offered the kid, it's because they think he has the brains and athletic ability to cut it. None of us here know anything about Odoms beyond a few numbers that we've seen, so we have no license to talk smack about the kid. (Remember the Nwankwo incident ...)
                                  I agree, while it's perfectly fine to have a discussion, let's carry it about with a little intelligence and tact. I know a few of the recruits that have read through our boards and a few that have posted. Let's not turn someone away because of our need to be opinionated.

Comment

I think we all have to relax here and trust our coaches. They have shown us time and time again that they aren't just rolling the dice on kids. They gather as much information as they can and evaluate players and they seem to be pretty darn good at it. Plus I have notice a smurf WR in the NFL that has turned some heads. He is only 5-9 185 lbs.

Comment

i've seen his highlights and i like him but not sure he is worthy of an offer this early. But he is currently rated in the rivals 5m.0 so Weis isn't the only one that thinks highly of him.

Comment

In the past 10 years, there have been a number of ND players on scholarship that had lower GPAs.

And his 40 has nothing to do with his academics, which was the your point of contention.

Comment

Originally posted by BGIF View Post
                                          In the past 10 years, there have been a number of ND players on scholarship that had lower GPAs.

And his 40 has nothing to do with his academics, which was the your point of contention.
                                          I believe what he is trying to say is that he doesn't have big time speed or ideal size, compared to what is being defined as the protype wide receiver in todays game (big,tall,fast). And that just from what is listed here he might have trouble with admissions, which I doubt since aren't most of these guys cleared through admissions before they get an offer, saves us time on the backend if he commits. So what he is trying to allude too is if he isn't an elite player and might have trouble getting in then why go after him.

Comment

ok we'll put all this speed to rest....hes runs a low 4.5 which is not fast but definently not slow, they say he has football speed. He has offers from florida and miami amongst many others so i'd gamble

Comment

woops forgot that link

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?s...ory_recruiting

Comment

Rivals profile puts him at 4.57 with a 4.31 shuttle.

Check his stats as a soph he had over 1100 yds receiving. His receptions dropped from 69 his soph year to 42 his Jr year but his TDs only dropped by 1 from 18 to 17 and he still gained over 900 yds for a 22 ypc. His soph and Jr years he had 35 TD on 111 catches.

That's 1 TD every 3.2 touches. For his Jr year he had a TD for every 2.5 touches. I haven't seen his video but those numbers should grab any coaches attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Irishknight1023 View Post
                                                  According to that story he beat Riley Cooper for a TD. Cooper was Rivals #10 ATH with a 4.37 40.

Comment

Almost 5 minutes of video on Martavious Odoms #3. Odoms does not play like a 5'8" 165 lb. WR. Very impressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q6zTRPm6yc

Comment

He'd be a perfect slot receiver in Weis' offense.

Comment

He got absolutley rocked on the sideline on one of the plays. Film is decent, makes me appreciate Golden Tate all that much more.

Comment

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=109&p=2&c=639219

doesn't sound like he cares about leaving Florida which is a good thing, the bad news he wants to wait till NSD, and i doubt there will be any WR slots by then because i'll assume Floyd will take the last spot around AAA game.

Comment

This kid sounds like he isn't spending one once of his attention on recruiting or who is offering at all. He won't be making unofficials or even official visits during the regular season. He says he will take some official visits after his season. He said previously that he wanted to decide on NSD and I guess he's really serious about that. I don't know if we'll have scholarship for him if he follows through with his plans thus far.

Comment

No longer being recruited by Notre Dame. I have no idea why they even offered this kid.

Comment

hes way to short for the type of wideout we need.

Comment

I'm sure Odoms is good, but I'll take Floyd and/or Baldwin any day.
                                                                  God, Country, Notre Dame

Comment

Originally posted by GhostSpirit View Post
                                                                    No longer being recruited by Notre Dame. I have no idea why they even offered this kid.
                                                                    -------Where did you see that we weren't recruiting him at all anymore?

Comment

-------Where did you see that we weren't recruiting him at all anymore?
                                                                      Mike Frank

Comment

No offense to "Tay", but I'm a little surpised that ND offered him with the fact he only has a 2.5 core GPA and he just took the SAT in June. That seems to be a little bit of a reach for ND academic standards for athletes, doesn't it? Now at "the U" that would be a different story. There he would be considered by his peers as some sort of a "brainiac" or genius!

Comment

take it easy on him is only a 17 year old kid
                                                                          The man behind the machine that is MMJ

Comment

Originally posted by grantphilly View Post
                                                                            take it easy on him is only a 17 year old kid
                                                                            -------He didn't bash the kid, and 17 year olds are not babies. I'm 20 and 17 year olds are alot more mature than you think.

Comment

• #39
                                                                              Originally posted by irish4ever View Post
                                                                              No offense to "Tay", but I'm a little surpised that ND offered him with the fact he only has a 2.5 core GPA and he just took the SAT in June. That seems to be a little bit of a reach for ND academic standards for athletes, doesn't it? Now at "the U" that would be a different story. There he would be considered by his peers as some sort of a "brainiac" or genius!
                                                                              I agree with everything you said.

Comment

• #40
                                                                                Just saying that no one knows him personally and he dosen't deserve to be bad mouthed just for getting an offer
                                                                                The man behind the machine that is MMJ

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  I thought we stopped recruiting him because of his grades

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    Whether Notre Dame has stopped recruiting him or not, I wish the kid all the best. Do a little search on Pahokee, FL and you'll see that if the kid makes it out of Muckville and gets any education beyond high school, he's ahead of the game. He may not have the grades for ND, but the social environment of Pahokee doesn't exactly promote academic excellence or even importance. Good luck to him, not matter where he ends up.
                                                                                    “Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.” - Coach Holtz

sigpic

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      -------He didn't bash the kid, and 17 year olds are not babies. I'm 20 and 17 year olds are alot more mature than you think.
                                                                                      LOL, sure they are. I bet you'll change you're opinion about that in a few more years.

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        Originally posted by grantphilly View Post
                                                                                        Just saying that no one knows him personally and he dosen't deserve to be bad mouthed just for getting an offer
                                                                                        Whoa! I didn't bad mouth him by any means. I'm sure that he's a very personable and likeable young man. All I'm saying is that "Tay's" GPA (Tay is what he wants to be referred to) of 2.5 and no available SAT score doesn't sound like ND "offer material" to me based on the normal ND academic expectations.

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          Jeez, im 21 and all the 17 year olds i know and see are immature in my opinion...

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            I meant like they aren't 9 for gods sake. Alot of guys on forums treat 17 year olds like babies or something and they need people to hold there hand.

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              So who found out that we officially stopped recruiting this guy... very fast, ran a 4.5 at a scout combine, and has been clocked at a 10.6 in the 100 meters. I know there are much bigger guys to get as of right now, but i think this kid could be a playmaker, and he does have an offer per scout, but havent heard much about him in like a couple months. Anyone know if we are still recruiting him?

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                Originally posted by GoshenGipper View Post
                                                                                                He had one, but I'm not sure if hew still does. However I haven't heard otherwise, so his offer tag would still apply, but I do know that ND is no longer activly recruiting him as well as he hasn't really shown any interest in ND in quite some time. However I'm not sure which came fist, but if I had to guess I would have to think that one of those is an effect of the other taking place.
                                                                                                .

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  on his way to Michigan, wonder who will be throwing to him.

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    Originally posted by NDFan78 View Post
                                                                                                    on his way to Michigan, wonder who will be throwing to him.
                                                                                                    Justin Feagin, the stud 2* safety/QB that is going to be a true freshman.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X