Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'08 KY DT Brandon Newman (Signed LOI to ND)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '08 KY DT Brandon Newman (Signed LOI to ND)

Brandon Newman (6'1"/300lbs)
    Pleasure Ridge Park HS (Louisville, KY)

Schools of Interest:
    Notre Dame (Solid Verbal)
    Stanford
    Auburn
    Alabama
    Kentucky
    Louisville
    Michigan
    Wake Forrest

Local Press:

Combine
    Forty: 5.09
    Bench Reps: 17
    Bench Max: 350
    Squat Max: 600
    Shuttle: 5.03
    Vertical:
    GPA: 3.9

Star Ratings
    Rivals:
    Scout:

Statistics
    2004 -
    2005 -
    2006 -
    2007 -

Rankings & Accolades
    2004 -
    2005 -
    2006 -
    2007 - Rivals #41 DT

Multimedia & Resource Links
    N/A
    Last edited by GoshenGipper; 01-15-2008, 04:34 PM.

Outlined against a blue-gray October sky, the Four Horsemen rode again. In dramatic lore they are known as Famine, Pestilence, Destruction and Death. These are only aliases. Their real names are Stuhldreher, Miller, Crowley and Layden. They formed the crest of the South Bend cyclone before which another fighting Army football team was swept over the precipice at the Polo Grounds yesterday afternoon as 55,000 spectators peered down on the bewildering panorama spread on the green plain below. - Grantland Rice 1924 :clover:

:football: Brown, ND's first-year defensive coordinator, played at Michigan."(Brown) said if he would have gotten offered by Notre Dame," Slaughter said, "he would have gone to Notre Dame." :football:

I like to quote myself - GoshenGipper

Comment

He's got an offer from UK ('06 camper) and is coming to ND Junior Day:
      Trip Set to South Bend
      -by KentuckySportsReport.com Feb 28, 2007

He's only a junior but he's got Div 1 size and a Div 1 Squat (600#). His BP is comparable to Sam Young's - when Sam was a ND freshman. His 3.9 GPA shows he's no slouch in the classroom.

Comment

I would like to see him get offered. So far there has been nobody with the squat and big frame that is needed in a nose guard for the 3-4--they need mass and good leverage. Newman certainly seems to have the size and grades. I also like what I know about Tony Gillespie from Oklahoma.

Comment

Offer NOW...DT's are needed NOW! He's got the size, the academics and an attitude conducive to ND...

Comment

Here is an article about him that I read. He's got good size (reminds me of Ian Williams) so we'll see what comes of it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?s...ory_recruiting

Comment

Originally posted by BGIF View Post
              He's got an offer from UK ('06 camper) and is coming to ND Junior Day:
              Trip Set to South Bend

BGIF- Latest word is that Newman is not going to make it to South Bend this weekend because of a prior committment to go to Louisville's Junior Day. According to Newman's Coach he is still planning to visit ND in the summer, possibly even camping.

Comment

I hope we can nab him early! It'd get a lot of worry out of my mind about the line.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK1H-DuFERo

Comment

Originally posted by Irish52 View Post
                  Offer NOW...DT's are needed NOW! He's got the size, the academics and an attitude conducive to ND...
                  Ok I know we want to get in on a lot of guys but honestly lets all calm down its only march and we have more offers out this early then we have in quite a long time. Personally I wouldn't mind waiting to after the evaulation period to offer some of these guys. I mean unless you see a tape and the guy is a no brainer to make an offer to, which I am sure that those guys that have offers already are, then lets just wait and see what guys really stand out after the evaluation period.

Comment

Originally posted by NDBCSChamps View Post
                    Ok I know we want to get in on a lot of guys but honestly lets all calm down its only march and we have more offers out this early then we have in quite a long time. Personally I wouldn't mind waiting to after the evaulation period to offer some of these guys. I mean unless you see a tape and the guy is a no brainer to make an offer to, which I am sure that those guys that have offers already are, then lets just wait and see what guys really stand out after the evaluation period.
                    That's a good point, but it seems that most of the positions are getting plenty of offers. O-line, linebackers, wide receivers, d-tackles. They all have plenty. But I don't see any nose-guards yet, a position that ND has a shortage of.

Comment

Brandon Newman may not have made it for Junior Day, but according to both Scout and Rivals, that did not stop CW from offering Newman a scholarship this morning.

Comment

yeah i read that too on scout

Comment

Brandon missed the last Junior Day because of a prior committment, but is scheduled to make an unofficial visit to ND on April 11, the same day as McDonald & Crist are scheduled to arrive. Hopefully April 11 will turn out to be a very interesting day. Newman is a top priority for the new defensive scheme, and he is being heavily recruited by Corwin Brown with contact on a daily basis.

Comment

Saw on UM board,( premium and couldn't see), but it appears that he may have received an offer from UM. That could be a problem because he is a lifelong UM fan and his dad lives there. Don't know if he wants to be near dad or not though.

Comment

Brandon and his coach on local radio today

I was driving, so I couldn't take notes, but he and his coach were interviewed for about ten minutes today on local ESPN.

Coach said he was the strongest player he had ever seen, and listed the same numbers I have seen here. He says he's a freak in the weightroom -- his words, not mine. Said he had a strong work ethic, good attitude etc. Coach speak. He said he has or will receive 3 more offers this week, but only mentioned a Cincy offer. Louisville still has not offered, and has not been in contact very much. He changed the subject a little when he was asked why UL hasn't offered. He seemed annoyed by that.

Brandon spoke very intelligently. He never mentioned Michigan as per my above post. He spoke very highly of KY, because they offered last year and his relationship with Joker Phillips, offensive coodinator. Then he shifted gears to ND, and spoke in glowing terms. He really liked the early offer. He said words couldn't describe how he felt after CB and CW called with an offer. He loves CB and they kept in contact daily until the dead period. He said he has a strong bond with CB. He is coming to ND on April 11, and he said he is not in a hurry to commit, so this may take awhile. He definately wants to take his trips he said. He said he most wants to be comfortable wherever he goes, nice coaches, facilites, campus.

The one thing I noticed most was the positive vibes toward ND from the interviewer, who is a local KY homer. He gushed over ND and how big a deal this was for a local boy to get an offer from ND. Usually we get the normal anti ND diatribe on local radio. It definately looks like KY and ND at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by MirageSmack View Post
                                I was driving, so I couldn't take notes, but he and his coach were interviewed for about ten minutes today on local ESPN.

Coach said he was the strongest player he had ever seen, and listed the same numbers I have seen here. He says he's a freak in the weightroom -- his words, not mine. Said he had a strong work ethic, good attitude etc. Coach speak. He said he has or will receive 3 more offers this week, but only mentioned a Cincy offer. Louisville still has not offered, and has not been in contact very much. He changed the subject a little when he was asked why UL hasn't offered. He seemed annoyed by that.

Brandon spoke very intelligently. He never mentioned Michigan as per my above post. He spoke very highly of KY, because they offered last year and his relationship with Joker Phillips, offensive coodinator. Then he shifted gears to ND, and spoke in glowing terms. He really liked the early offer. He said words couldn't describe how he felt after CB and CW called with an offer. He loves CB and they kept in contact daily until the dead period. He said he has a strong bond with CB. He is coming to ND on April 11, and he said he is not in a hurry to commit, so this may take awhile. He definately wants to take his trips he said. He said he most wants to be comfortable wherever he goes, nice coaches, facilites, campus.

The one thing I noticed most was the positive vibes toward ND from the interviewer, who is a local KY homer. He gushed over ND and how big a deal this was for a local boy to get an offer from ND. Usually we get the normal anti ND diatribe on local radio. It definately looks like KY and ND at this point.
                                Great stuff, Mirage.

Comment

Originally posted by MirageSmack View Post

Yes, reps to you.
                                  If you're mad at your kid, you can either raise him to play nose tackle, or send him out to play on the freeway, it's about the same thing. Bob Golic

Comment

Brandon's visit for Spring Practice is set. He will be coming in on the 10th with his parents, and touring the campus and attending practice on the 11th, the same day as McDonald & Crist. Wouldn't it be sweet if the guy who clears the way for the guy who will be doing most of the tackling commit on the same day. CB is asking Brandon what he is doing so that he will be in position to start at NT for ND against San Diego State on 9/6/08. Next week could be a lot of fun for ND football fans.

Comment

Would like to see this kid offered..I think he would be a great addition for the Irish.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish52 View Post
                                        Would like to see this kid offered..I think he would be a great addition for the Irish.
                                        Newman already has an offer, and there are quite a few people who are anticipating that he will commit when he visits next week.

Comment

I would love a NT commit, but i thought he has a big love for Kentucky and their coaching staff?

Comment

does he have any other big time offers?

Comment

Originally posted by rockne19 View Post
                                              does he have any other big time offers?
                                              ND, Kentucky, Cinn, & Stanford.

Comment

Heres a good article on him.....

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?s...ory_recruiting

it's funny about how nice he is too opposing players, kind of how Jim Brown was.

Comment

Originally posted by Irishknight1023 View Post
                                                  I would love a NT commit, but i thought he has a big love for Kentucky and their coaching staff?

Newman does have a good relationship with the KY coaching staff, but in a very short period of time, he has also established a good rapport with Corwin Brown. I think Brandon has been an ND lean since the day he was offered. He was offered right before the March Junior Day, and immediately wanted to come to South Bend, but could not because of a prior committment to attend Louisville's Junior Day. Then he was planning on visiting in the summer, but changed his plans so that he could come next week during his Spring Break. Newman knows that he can start as a Freshman at ND. Even if the Irish can pull off a miracle & recruit both Marcus Forston & Hafis Williams, Newman is the best suited of the 3 to play the Nose Guard in the ND 3-4 Defense. 4 years as a NG starter in a 3-4 Defense for a high profile school like Notre Dame = if Brandon is as good as we hope, a virtual automatic 1st round pick in the NFL Draft.

Also, you can read into this what you want. Brandon is traveling with his Mom to visit various other schools before coming to South Bend. His Dad, who lives in Detroit, is only coming to South Bend.

Comment

Sounds like Newman could/will be committing on his visit a couple/few weeks from now.

Comment

Don't under estimate UK on Brandon, as odd as that seems. I wouldn't be shocked either way, but I didn't sense a ND lean when I heard him speak. Several players from his school, including a standout last year, have gone on to UK. ND is foreign to this school. But since ND came in late, I think they can make up ground and win this battle. There is definately a lot of prestige (about ND) with BN and his coach. IMO, it may be a feather in his coaches cap to have ND pursuing his players. Can't be a bad thing. It would shock me if he commits early though, because he flat out said he wasn't in a hurry. He wants all of his visits.

My HS team dismantled his team last year, but I'll pay attention more when I watch this year to see how he does. We may not play because they changed the class system this year, so we'll see.

Comment

we really need to land Newman, so versatile along the 3-4 defensive line
                                                        Post Like a Champion Today

Comment

We have a new sports format on our local ESPN radio now, and it has 9 hours of local programming!!! Only national we get is Dan Patrick - I miss the other shows, especially my Mike and Mike ND fix. Anyway, my point, BN will be interviewed on the radio after his ND visit next week. I'll keep my ears on.

Comment

I kept repeating myself on why everyone thought he would commit this week, although i want it to happen and he may be blown away i just didn't see it with all these visits he has set up and the love he has for Kentucky and this just proves my point...

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=109&p=2&c=634514

Comment

Originally posted by Irishknight1023 View Post
                                                              I kept repeating myself on why everyone thought he would commit this week, although i want it to happen and he may be blown away i just didn't see it with all these visits he has set up and the love he has for Kentucky and this just proves my point...

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=109&p=2&c=634514

Although I agree that Newman will not commit this week, (if he does Corwin Brown would be immediately hailed as the next great recruiter in America), I would also not read much into this Scout story, and here is why. 4 words "The Golf Cart Tour". The same guy who wrote that article also wrote this one, and in every story that he writes there is an anti-ND lean, or an exclusion of the mention of ND even if the recruit has stated elsewhere that ND is one of his favorites. This guy might as well write for a USC recruiting site, and I have no doubt that he purposefully misquotes recruits to steer the story to his own personal liking. Wallace is becoming the CFB equivalent of the "Rumor Mill" writer at profootballtalk.com. If what he has to report is so insightful, why is it that Scout always lists his articles as free. Just another hack writer.

If CB is as convincing as what we have heard recruits say about him, then ND has a really good shot at Brandon Newman, because CB is telling him that he will be the critical element in CB's defense when the first of the CB recruited Defensive players arrive at ND. Brandon Newman will most likely not commit to ND this week, or even before the fall, but unless ND is able to recruit Hunter or Forston, I do not see the Irish losing Newman to KY if ND and KY are his final 2 choices.

Comment

Originally posted by irishunclebill View Post
                                                                Although I agree that Newman will not commit this week, (if he does Corwin Brown would be immediately hailed as the next great recruiter in America), I would also not read much into this Scout story, and here is why. 4 words "The Golf Cart Tour". The same guy who wrote that article also wrote this one, and in every story that he writes there is an anti-ND lean, or an exclusion of the mention of ND even if the recruit has stated elsewhere that ND is one of his favorites. This guy might as well write for a USC recruiting site, and I have no doubt that he purposefully misquotes recruits to steer the story to his own personal liking. Wallace is becoming the CFB equivalent of the "Rumor Mill" writer at profootballtalk.com. If what he has to report is so insightful, why is it that Scout always lists his articles as free. Just another hack writer.

If CB is as convincing as what we have heard recruits say about him, then ND has a really good shot at Brandon Newman, because CB is telling him that he will be the critical element in CB's defense when the first of the CB recruited Defensive players arrive at ND. Brandon Newman will most likely not commit to ND this week, or even before the fall, but unless ND is able to recruit Hunter or Forston, I do not see the Irish losing Newman to KY if ND and KY are his final 2 choices.
                                                                I agree with IUB wholeheartedly. This guy is a hackjob and I wouldn't put any credibility towards any of his work after what he did with Andrew.

Comment

Mike Frank said he's certain he will commit today but I don't see it happening. I think in the next 2 weeks he'll be IRISH. I would love to have a 300lb NT. He could be the next Zorich that guy was pretty good wasn't he.

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan81 View Post
                                                                    Mike Frank said he's certain he will commit today but I don't see it happening. I think in the next 2 weeks he'll be IRISH. I would love to have a 300lb NT. He could be the next Zorich that guy was pretty good wasn't he.
                                                                    Did Frank say that today, because I did not hear any comment like that from him last night on Power Hour.

Comment

Any news on the guys that are there?

Comment

I tried to post earlier, but lost my DSL. I also posted this on DD for what it's worth.

Local ESPN radio was talking about BN today. UofL is making a hard push for BN. The new coach told him that previous coach made a mistake not offering earlier. Brandon has been at most, if not all, spring practices at UofL. I don't know if that matters much. He may be going just because he can and it's close. He lives about 10 minutes away. He likes the new coaches, as I do as well. (I still don't like the school, though)

FWIW, the radio guy seemed to think he was staying in state. But I think all radio sports talk guys talk out of their a$$ because they have a mike in front of them. Hopefully, his visit goes well today, and this is a moot point.

Just a reminder, his school is a UK pipeline school, and they are very strong on this recruit. I know thats hard to believe, because it is UK, but it is true. Many of BN friends play for UK-guys he went to school with. Having said that, I still think we have a great shot. We'll see.

Comment

In the best news other than McDonald's commit, everything I have seen indicates that Brandon Newman's Big Wednesday visit went very well for both Brandon & ND. There were some very optimistic comments posted, although obcourse they were all by people who would love to see Newman at ND. Does this mean he will commit shortly to ND? Probably not, but you have to believe that ND is on the inside track here.

Comment

He has size, smarts, and I'm guessing a mean dispostion when he wants to bring it. I like the look of him. The whole package.
                                                                            Talent on loan from God & LMI

Comment

• #39
                                                                              I say it's between ND and Kentucky....I still don't expect him to commit to us this weekend for the simple fact of damn Kentucky just won't go away...they are a basketball school Newman....a basketball school.....

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/...34/1002/SPORTS

Comment

• #40
                                                                                In the article he mentioned his mom's desire for him to get a good education which is excellent for us. I also like the fact that he was nervous before his visit to South Bend; to me it means that he really wanted the visit to go well, which it did. The only problem with the article is Weiss, freakin' journalist spelled it wrong.
                                                                                If you're mad at your kid, you can either raise him to play nose tackle, or send him out to play on the freeway, it's about the same thing. Bob Golic

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  The scout article posted above had a quote from him that makes me think him having a few more visits lined up doesnt rule out the possibility of committing now

"I always said that if I feel comfortable I won't shy away from committing," he said. "I'll know when it's right."
                                                                                  Lets hope he feels comfortable and knows it right.

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    Sounds like he wants a trip to Cali (Stanford), so maybe he doesn't commit this weeked. :banghead2 Until I read that article, I thought he was committing this w/e because his mom and dad will both be there (mom from KY, dad from MI). Plus he just took a trip last week. Who knows. CW should tell him h can take trips to Cali all the time when he joins the Fighting Irish.

Although the CJ reporter spelled Weis wrong, he is a very good high school reporter.

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      One good sign that I noticed today was that when the Gold team was entering the locker room before the game Corwin Brown went out of his way to run across the field to the home sideline to shake Brandon's hand and give him a hug.
                                                                                      Outlined against a blue-gray October sky, the Four Horsemen rode again. In dramatic lore they are known as Famine, Pestilence, Destruction and Death. These are only aliases. Their real names are Stuhldreher, Miller, Crowley and Layden. They formed the crest of the South Bend cyclone before which another fighting Army football team was swept over the precipice at the Polo Grounds yesterday afternoon as 55,000 spectators peered down on the bewildering panorama spread on the green plain below. - Grantland Rice 1924 :clover:

:football: Brown, ND's first-year defensive coordinator, played at Michigan."(Brown) said if he would have gotten offered by Notre Dame," Slaughter said, "he would have gone to Notre Dame." :football:

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        Thats what i wanna hear, Hustle baby

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          Blurb on Rivals says that he was planning on committing this weekend but decided to hold off for a bit longer.
                                                                                          Last edited by GoshenGipper; 04-23-2007, 12:49 PM.

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            I've heard the same. I heard his reasoning is that he wants to make sure he is 100% sure on where he's going because he doesn't want to be one of those guys who decommits and switches schools. While that's great and I think ND will probably land him, I still don't like it when he's going into a visit planning on commiting and then backs out.

He has an in home visit comming up in a couple of weeks with Coach Weis and Coach Brown, so let's hope he pulls the trigger then.
                                                                                            Last edited by GoshenGipper; 04-23-2007, 12:51 PM.

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              Was he going to be Irish?

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                Originally posted by goldenlid View Post
                                                                                                Was he going to be Irish?
                                                                                                Well he was at the BG game. It'd be a little awkward to committ to another school there.

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  Yeah I it might be.

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    Originally posted by GoshenGipper View Post
                                                                                                    He has an in home visit comming up in a couple of weeks with Coach Weis and Coach Brown, so let's hope he pulls the trigger then.
                                                                                                    The latest info I see is that CW & CB are visiting Brandon this Wednesday, with CB & Jappy Oliver scheduled to make another visit on May 7.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X