Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'08 OR DE Ethan Johnson (Signed LOI to ND)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '08 OR DE Ethan Johnson (Signed LOI to ND)

Ethan Johnson - DE (6'4.5"/265lbs.)
    Lincoln HS (Portland, OR)

Schools of Interest:
    Notre Dame (Solid Verbal)
    USC
    Oregon
    Oregon St.
    Washington
    Arizona St.
    Cal
    Colorado
    Minnesota
    Virginia
    Auburn

Combine
    Forty: 4.8
    Bench Reps: 18
    Bench Max:
    Squat Max:
    Shuttle: 4.44
    Vertical: 28"
    GPA: 3.27

Star Ratings
    Rivals:
    Scout:

Statistics
    2004 -
    2005 -
    2006 -
    2007 - NA

Rankings & Accolades
    2004 -
    2005 -
    2006 -
    2007 - Rivals & Scout 100 - Rivals #3 SDE - Scout #5 DE

Multimedia & Resource Links
    Last edited by GoshenGipper; 06-28-2007, 04:37 PM.
    Outlined against a blue-gray October sky, the Four Horsemen rode again. In dramatic lore they are known as Famine, Pestilence, Destruction and Death. These are only aliases. Their real names are Stuhldreher, Miller, Crowley and Layden. They formed the crest of the South Bend cyclone before which another fighting Army football team was swept over the precipice at the Polo Grounds yesterday afternoon as 55,000 spectators peered down on the bewildering panorama spread on the green plain below. - Grantland Rice 1924 :clover:

:football: Brown, ND's first-year defensive coordinator, played at Michigan."(Brown) said if he would have gotten offered by Notre Dame," Slaughter said, "he would have gone to Notre Dame." :football:

I like to quote myself - GoshenGipper

Last edited by GoshenGipper; 04-09-2007, 12:07 PM.
    Outlined against a blue-gray October sky, the Four Horsemen rode again. In dramatic lore they are known as Famine, Pestilence, Destruction and Death. These are only aliases. Their real names are Stuhldreher, Miller, Crowley and Layden. They formed the crest of the South Bend cyclone before which another fighting Army football team was swept over the precipice at the Polo Grounds yesterday afternoon as 55,000 spectators peered down on the bewildering panorama spread on the green plain below. - Grantland Rice 1924 :clover:

:football: Brown, ND's first-year defensive coordinator, played at Michigan."(Brown) said if he would have gotten offered by Notre Dame," Slaughter said, "he would have gone to Notre Dame." :football:

Comment

Ethan reports a 3.27 GPA

Comment

He's been offered, per B&G.
        Stoney is a dead man.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnd05 View Post
          He's been offered, per B&G.
          His 40 time is a bit suspect. Was he crawling? 5.16 is pretty slow for a guy who is 250 lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by GoIrish41 View Post
            His 40 time is a bit suspect. Was he crawling? 5.16 is pretty slow for a guy who is 250 lbs.
            The same thought had just occurred to me, actually. But his shuttle time (4.44) is pretty good, right?
            Stoney is a dead man.

Comment

Profile updated and pictures added

Comment

Ethan Johnson is another prospective DE who will be difficult to get out of the West Coast, some say he is already a USC lock. (Should I mention Dayne Crist again?) In fact, the only time that I have seen anything that says he is all ga ga about the Trojans is in an article written by the notoriously inaccurate and anti-ND author of the Golf Cart Tour, and even in that article Johnson is quoted as saying nothing but good things about the Irish. Anyway, lock or not Ethan is planning on making a summer time visit to the Bend, and you can't ask for more of an opportunity than that to try to convince him that ND is the best place for his future. Also, he is not a SoCal kid so he should be coming to Indiana with an open mind. If he comes away from that visit as impressed with ND as Crist was, then ND will have a pretty good chance of recruiting him.

Of the three current offered DE’s that are not from the Midwest, at this point in time IMO it appears that Johnson & Kapron Lewis-Moore are still possibilities for the Irish, even though there are posters here who say that ND does not have a chance for either one. Only time will tell. The third recruit, Chancey Aghayere has not expressed much interest in his ND offer.

Comment

Looks like Ethan's interest in ND is very legit as he will be visiting on an unofficial next month to South Bend. I hope he sees what we've got going and wants to join

Comment

Got this from DD......

http://www.portlandtribune.com/sport...38542706638000

"I can’t say (the Irish or Trojans are) my No. 1 pick.”

-------Him just saying that is a good thing. Told you people he wasn't an SC lock. He hasn't even been here yet and we're in the upper tier. Trust, if he doesn't go to USC the chances of him coming here would be rather good.

Comment

we seem to be in the top 2 for alot of the elite players this year .Alot like last year, i hope it doesn't turn out like last year-little,little,donald,trattou,benn,martin,wilson,ed wards-you get the point.

Comment

Rockne I hate to be the english teacher, but if you can put some spaces between your words it would make it easier to read. Not being a douche I just want to read what you're saying because my eyes are crap.

Comment

with Datone coming to campus, say he does commit and Goebel commits, do we still take Ethan Johnson? are we looking a Datone as DE or OLB?

Comment

Not a chance. ND only has spots open for 9 or 10 more recruits in this class, which dictatets only one more, maybe two at the most on the DL.

Comment

sounds promising...

Comment

Originally posted by DudeMan View Post
                                Nice find

He has an open mind, but Lincoln High’s Ethan Johnson sure speaks highly of Notre Dame football.

“It’s a great school with great tradition,” says Johnson, a nationally recruited defensive end. “And, it’s on the television (NBC) every weekend. It’d be cool to go far away from home and know I’ll be on TV every weekend.”

Then again, he likes USC as well.

“I went down there a month ago,” he says of an unofficial visit to the school. “I liked it down there; it’s hard not to like L.A. I have a lot of family down there, and I felt comfortable down there. But I haven’t seen the other schools. I can’t say (the Irish or Trojans are) my No. 1 pick.”

Both schools have offered him football scholarships, he says. Johnson plans to officially visit Notre Dame and USC and three other schools after Sept. 1, when recruits can travel to see and experience prospective colleges and teams. The 6-5, 265-pound Johnson expects to hold off making his decision until after the visits.

It’s obvious which way Johnson leans. He plans to attend Notre Dame’s football camp this summer, “and I might try to make USC’s camp, but it might be a financial and time strain. I’ve already been there and seen (the school), anyway.”

Arizona, Arizona State, Washington, Michigan, Auburn, Minnesota and Colorado are among the schools that have offered Johnson scholarships, he says, and Oregon, Oregon State and Portland State also have been courting and offering the in-state, athletic junior. Michigan defensive coordinator Ron English saw him in person at the PIL track and field meet, and Oregon defensive line coach Michael Gray watched him at the state meet; the NCAA’s “bump rule” allows college coaches to simply acknowledge the recruit and visit with prep coaches during dead periods.

Johnson’s the latest of the city’s star defensive linemen, following the path of Ndamukong Suh and Myles Wade before him; Suh went to Nebraska, and Wade will be going to Oregon.

Johnson recently won the PIL shot put title and finished sixth in the state meet. He enjoys doing the shot, javelin and discus, but he loves football, and Johnson doesn’t mind the recruiting process.

“It’s fun,” he says. “I have quite a few options and I like that, I can pick and choose where I want to go.”

With his junior year nearing an end, and track and field over, Johnson says he will hit the weight room and improve his strength. His mother, Rita, is a physical therapist; his father, Daniel, is a personal trainer. So he’ll get some good guidance.

Johnson doesn’t put much stock in his physical strength and speed and their testing numbers, although each has impressed scouts.

“My game film speaks for itself,” he says.

Comment

I posted that article on the last page.

Comment

Originally posted by Irishknight1023 View Post
                                    I posted that article on the last page.
                                    Oh, yeah, well what about this one:

Yeah, it would be nice if people would read before they post. Welcome to the glamorous, highly-organized world of online forums. BTW, did you see this article about Johnson :) :

Comment

any word on ahgahere(i know the spelling is wrong)he's actually ranked higher than johnson.i would love to land both !!!

Comment

Originally posted by rockne19 View Post
                                        any word on ahgahere(i know the spelling is wrong)he's actually ranked higher than johnson.i would love to land both !!!
                                        I think there's a much better shot at Johnson.

Comment

I don't think we take both. We are out of room.

Comment

Originally posted by NDgrandson View Post
                                            I don't think we take both. We are out of room.
                                            Just to clarify, I hope you mean that if at the end of the recruiting season, and we only had one slot left that we would not take both Agahayere and Johnson. You can't be serious if you mean that if tommorrow Johnson & Aghayere both told CW they want to commit to ND, that he would turn one of them down. Never in a million years would any head coach, especially the head coach of a team with little DL depth and a recent history of having a very difficult time recruiting elite DL, turn down players with the talents of Johnson & Aghayere, possibly the best pure DL and the best speed rushing DL in this class.

Comment

i agree with iub,we have to take all of defensive recruits we can get(granted they are top talent)there's no way in hell weis would turn down johnson or aghayere or both!

Comment

But so we're clear, we all know that a scenario where we get both prospects isn't going to unfold. The moon and the stars would need to align for 1,000 light years in order for both of them to say on the same day, "I'm Irish" to our coaching staff, at the same time. Thats very much a hypothetical only situation.

We're going to get none or one more, and after that we'll send all the signals to whatever remaining DL recruits left that the stop sign is up. Only way we take more (and this is a stretch) is if there are a lot of transfers.

Comment

We're not getting both. Of the two, only Johnson is really considering us at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by scooper View Post
                                                    We're not getting both. Of the two, only Johnson is really considering us at this point.

See Aghayere.

Comment

How many people here would prefer Goebel over Johnson? I mean we have room for 1 more D-lineman and it'll be a DE type. I was a big fan of getting Goebel, but after the Hunter committment (which threw off everything I had planned in my head) it made me wonder with one spot left do we lock up Goebel this summer and have a very solid D-line haul or roll the dice with the 5th spot for a stud like Johnson? I'd like to roll the dice because of all the months we have to be picky about that last spot. I think Goebel is going to be a beast and I have him as a OSU lock and would've definently wanted him here but with the Omar committment I would like to roll the dice.

Like Sweat (another good one) I kind of worried that maybe that would lock up recruiting and then we wouldn't of had the extra 5th spot for a LB. Getting Sweat would mean we'd have 3 ILB's and only 1 OLB (Which is a big need.) I would've like to roll the dice on Sabino or another one that is an OLB since we have the base of DL and LB's where we don't have to panic this year. Goebel (I assume he'll go there, but nothings final) and Sweat will be great players for OSU IMO but I didn't think Sweat was as good as McDonald and we needed an OLB and like Goebel who is real good, but I think Ethan Johnson is on another level...obviously the Sweat recruitment is over, but at the time I preferred rolling the dice on an OLB...does anybody else agree with rolling the dice on OLB and DE because of the final spot at each position?
                                                      Last edited by Irishknight1023; 06-18-2007, 03:03 PM.

Comment

How many people here would prefer Goebel over Johnson? I mean we have room for 1 more D-lineman and it'll be a DE type. I was a big fan of getting Goebel, but after the Hunter committment (which threw off everything I had planned in my head) it made me wonder with one spot left do we lock up Goebel this summer and have a very solid D-line haul or roll the dice with the 5th spot for a stud like Johnson? I'd like to roll the dice because of all the months we have to be picky about that last spot. I think Goebel is going to be a beast and I have him as a OSU lock and would've definently wanted him here but with the Omar committment I would like to roll the dice.

Like Sweat (another good one) I kind of worried that maybe that would lock up recruiting and then we wouldn't of had the extra 5th spot for a LB. Getting Sweat would mean we'd have 3 ILB's and only 1 OLB (Which is a big need.) I would've like to roll the dice on Sabino or another one that is an OLB since we have the base of DL and LB's where we don't have to panic this year. Goebel (I assume he'll go there, but nothings final) and Sweat will be great players for OSU IMO but I didn't think Sweat was as good as McDonald and we needed an OLB and like Goebel who is real good, but I think Ethan Johnson is on another level...obviously the Sweat recruitment is over, but at the time I preferred rolling the dice on an OLB...does anybody else agree with rolling the dice on OLB and DE because of the final spot at each position?
                                                        That's a lot of dice. I'd take Sweat and Goebel and Johnson. Fill 'er up.

Comment

I agree with the DL stance. If we brick on a blue chip guy like E. Johnson, Lewis-Moore could be a fallback offer (they both got offers on the same day, if thats an indication of how important they are in the eyes of ND's coaches). And Forston has enough talent to play anywhere on the DL as well, so easing off the Goebel gas pedal isn't a terrible idea.

However, I don't think it's "rolling the dice" with OLB. I think we need to get a guy there, one way or another. With the DL recruiting, we're in a position to take a gamble, and we'll still be okay if we miss. If we miss with our LB recruiting on a guy like Sabinio... I'm not sure how okay we'd be. Thats just my take on it though.

Comment

Scout.com: Overall Top Camper: Ore. DE Ethan Johnson

--------Warning GBW Slanted article Warning------

USC is considered a big threat to U-M for Johnson, so we asked him about USC, and he said, "I visited there this spring. It was okay."

We asked if Michigan and USC would be there in the end for him, and, smiling, he said:

"Michigan will be there until the end."

Comment

Scout.com: Overall Top Camper: Ore. DE Ethan Johnson

--------Warning GBW Slanted article Warning------

USC is considered a big threat to U-M for Johnson, so we asked him about USC, and he said, "I visited there this spring. It was okay."

We asked if Michigan and USC would be there in the end for him, and, smiling, he said:

"Michigan will be there until the end."
                                                              I can honestly say that when compared to all the other scout syndicates - USC, OSU, UF, and so forth - Michigan's site is the most annoying and least accurate. Their articles are usually very cryptic and short (as is this one), and a lot of times they build up interest to that wasn't really there to begin with. Its like they're only interested in asking about Michigan in their interviews, rather than other schools, the kid's interests, important parts to his decision process, etc. I've seen a couple articles this year stating, "Well actually, he's not that interested (i.e. Kapron Lewis-Moore, Darius Fleming, etc).

In other words, they build a guy up as a potential Wolverine, and have to walk back to their fanbase with their tail between their legs saying, "We were full of it."
                                                              Last edited by GoldenDomer3; 06-21-2007, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenDomer3 View Post
                                                                I can honestly say that when compared to all the other scout syndicates - USC, OSU, UF, and so forth - Michigan's site is the most annoying and least accurate. Their articles are usually very cryptic and short (as is this one), and a lot of times they build up interest to that wasn't really there to begin with. Its like they're only interested in asking about Michigan in their interviews, rather than other schools, the kid's interests, important parts to his decision process, etc. I've seen a couple articles this year stating, "Well actually, he's not that interested (i.e. Kapron Lewis-Moore, Darius Fleming, etc).

In other words, they build a guy up as a potential Wolverine, and have to walk back to their fanbase with their tail between their legs saying, "We were full of it."
                                                                -------I enjoyed how they slanted an article naming themselves a possible leader for Fleming while saying he was from California...dumbasses.

Comment

According to a source at this week's camp Ethan is and always has been ND's #1 target at DE for this year's crop of recruits.

Comment

The thing about his recruitment and how he is a very big opportunity for the Irish is that most likely if ND loses him to another team it'll be to a USC or Michigan and we'll have to face him for the next 4 or 5 years. That just makes him that much more important.

Comment

Time for CW to start wearing all of his rings. :)
                                                                      Talent on loan from God & LMI

Comment

Ethan made it to ND's camp this week and reportedly has been having a very good time hanging out with Michael Floyd, and several other ND palyers. He should be on campus through Wed.

Comment

A fly on the wall has informed me that Ethan Johnson is having dinner with Corwin Brown tonight. Read into that one what you will.

Comment

He's hungry?

Comment

• #39
                                                                              Originally posted by stonebreakerwasgod View Post
                                                                              He's hungry?
                                                                              Wrong. That I have the ability to communicate with insects.

Comment

• #40
                                                                                Too funny. Hijacking will cease now. :)

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  Originally posted by stonebreakerwasgod View Post
                                                                                  He's hungry?
                                                                                  LMAO...that was my first thought. Sorry Phammer.

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    3rd hand info but Ethan Johnson is the probable commit

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      Originally posted by theNOTREDOMER23 View Post
                                                                                      3rd hand info but Ethan Johnson is the probable commit
                                                                                      Lets hope so.
                                                                                      God, Country, Notre Dame

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        I don't know if I'm ready for another day like yesterday with all the excitement surrounding potential Hale and Slaughter commitments.

Don't know if I heard a definative answer about them yet, and first thing this morning, I'm seeing Ethan Johnson rumors starting.

I only have the mental capacity for two rumors at a time. But, recruiting has been a blast this year so far.

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          I feel you Go Irish. I had trouble sorting through everything that happened. Here's a recap of information that I "read" on message boards:

1.) We had a new commit.

2.) Hale was visiting.

3.) Slaughter was the mystery commit everyone was talking to.

4.) Hale cancelled all his visits after being in South Bend.

5.) Hale cancelled all his visits, including South Bend.

6.) Hale had given his verbal to CW and staff, but won't make it public for a little while.

and now

7.) Ethan Johnson might be the commit.

Did I miss anything??

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            I hear you Katz...
                                                                                            this stuff is going to give me a heartattack. I hope one of these guys commit soon cuz the anxiety is killing me.

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              Originally posted by Katzenboyer View Post

7.) Ethan Johnson might be the commit.

Did I miss anything??
                                                                                              if ethan johnson did, in fact, stand up in class yesterday (after following paul duncan into an ND classroom) and announce his (intentions to) commit, we'll know very soon whether or not this is rumor or legit.

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                Brandon Newman was on Blud and Gold radio last night and mentioned some of the people that were in camp. He did not mention Hale being there. So I have my serious doubts on that one.

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  Originally posted by Akron Irish View Post
                                                                                                  Brandon Newman was on Blud and Gold radio last night and mentioned some of the people that were in camp. He did not mention Hale being there. So I have my serious doubts on that one.
                                                                                                  He also said that he talked to CB and there weren't any new commits. Unless CB has to keep it on the d-lo

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    Originally posted by Akron Irish View Post
                                                                                                    Yeah -- I'm starting to think that he wasn't there. A poster over at DD mentioned that Johnson and Hale look somewhat similar, and if the "first hand accounts" that Hale was on campus were from students, I could see how the two could be mistaken.

I guess we'll just wait and see.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X