Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'08 IN OL Braxston Cave (Signed LOI to ND)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '08 IN OL Braxston Cave (Signed LOI to ND)

Braxton Cave - OC (6'4"/295lbs)
    Penn High School (Mishawaka, IN)

Combine
    Forty: 5.09
    Bench Reps: 28
    Bench Max: 405lbs
    Squat Max:
    Shuttle: 4.68
    Vertical: 28"

Star Ratings
    Rivals:
    Scout:

Rankings & Accolades
    Rivals #3 OC
    Rivals 250

Statistics
    N/A

Schools of Interest:
    Notre Dame (Solid Verbal)
    Michigan
    Iowa
    Florida
    Indiana
    Purdue

Media
    The South Bend Tribune [Local Press]
    The Pennant
    Penn Kingsmen Athletics
    Braxston Cave Commits To Notre Dame
    Last edited by GoshenGipper; 11-02-2007, 07:29 PM.
    Outlined against a blue-gray October sky, the Four Horsemen rode again. In dramatic lore they are known as Famine, Pestilence, Destruction and Death. These are only aliases. Their real names are Stuhldreher, Miller, Crowley and Layden. They formed the crest of the South Bend cyclone before which another fighting Army football team was swept over the precipice at the Polo Grounds yesterday afternoon as 55,000 spectators peered down on the bewildering panorama spread on the green plain below. - Grantland Rice 1924 :clover:

:football: Brown, ND's first-year defensive coordinator, played at Michigan."(Brown) said if he would have gotten offered by Notre Dame," Slaughter said, "he would have gone to Notre Dame." :football:

I like to quote myself - GoshenGipper

Last edited by GoshenGipper; 02-28-2007, 10:24 PM.
    Outlined against a blue-gray October sky, the Four Horsemen rode again. In dramatic lore they are known as Famine, Pestilence, Destruction and Death. These are only aliases. Their real names are Stuhldreher, Miller, Crowley and Layden. They formed the crest of the South Bend cyclone before which another fighting Army football team was swept over the precipice at the Polo Grounds yesterday afternoon as 55,000 spectators peered down on the bewildering panorama spread on the green plain below. - Grantland Rice 1924 :clover:

:football: Brown, ND's first-year defensive coordinator, played at Michigan."(Brown) said if he would have gotten offered by Notre Dame," Slaughter said, "he would have gone to Notre Dame." :football:

Comment

Braxton played very well at the AAA Jr. Combine, and he said he was one of the strongest guys there. His dad used to be a body builder and he has helped Braxton in his strength training while growing up. Braxton will be a 3rd year starter at Center this year, and while he said he is more used to offense, he would rather play DT. He is being recruited by D1 programs at both positions because of his foot speed.

Braxton doesn't plan on announcing untill after his Sr. season, so that should be around Thanksgiving at the earliest, and he plans to go to camps at ND, Iowa, and Florida this summer. FYI he grew up as a ND fan and reports a 3.0 GPA.

Braxton's top three factors in deciding his school will be:

1. The core values of the school and football program

2. Academics

3. Depth chart/possible PT
      Last edited by GoshenGipper; 01-27-2007, 01:37 AM.

Comment

sounds like this guy will be a national recruit. I think it certainly helps that he will camp at ND, and ND needs all the DT help it can get. Let's hope Charlie gets the ball rolling w/ some defensive recruits for next year once Brown gets here.

Comment

I'll definetly will inform you guys on the games this coming year, hell I live right down the street form Penn HS. I'm excited I'll actually get to see a national recruit play in high school again. Its been awhile, I saw Rhema McKnight in HS when I lived in Cali.

Comment

Braxston Cave Recruited By Big Boys

A kid who may someday play in the NFL is now just a junior at Penn High School. After a national workout recently in San Antonio, TX, Braxton Cave made what everybody knew official. He's a big-time recruit with unbelievable potential. He's the type of kid that has National Champ Florida and Notre Dame battling for him. Braxston Cave is 6'4" 295 pounds. Everybody in the Big 10 is looking at him. He has regular contact with former Notre Dame Assistant Coach Greg Mattison who's now the Defensive Coordinator at Florida. And he's enjoyed going to Notre Dame Stadium and getting to know Charlie Weis. The Indiana All-Stater has grown up a Notre Dame fan, but he's going to make an educated decision about his future. He's visited with Iowa during the Purdue game and Michigan when they played Vanderbilt. Braxton's dad used to be a bodybuilder so pumping iron and watching what he eats is part of his lifestyle. He runs a 5.01 40 and is trying to get faster. He bench presses over 400 pounds and is trying to get stronger. He's grown up under the shadow of the Golden Dome, but you know the other schools are going to use all of their strengths to get his muscle.
            Last edited by GoshenGuy; 01-26-2007, 09:14 PM.

Comment

This is the kind of player we need. He looks like a monster.

Comment

ND better be careful. Greg Mattison's son Bryan Mattison played on the DL at Penn before he went on to Iowa. Mattison has a lot of connections at Penn, and you know Urban would love to take another DL from under Charlie's nose.

Comment

Well, since we don't play Florida next year (at least not in the regular season), I hope we win this one.

Comment

Originally posted by GoshenGipper View Post
                    Braxton played very well at the AAA Jr. Combine, and he said he was one of the strongest guys there. His dad used to be a body builder and he has helped Braxton in his strength training while growing up. Braxton will be a 3rd year starter at Center this year, and while he said he is more used to offense, he would rather play DT. He is being recruited by D1 programs at both positions because of his foot speed.

Braxton doesn't plan on announcing untill after his Sr. season, so that should be around Thanksgiving at the earliest, and he plans to go to camps at ND, Iowa, and Florida this summer. FYI he grew up as a ND fan and reports a 3.0 GPA.

Braxton's top three factors in deciding his school will be:

1. The core values of the school and football program

2. Academics

3. Depth chart/possible PT

Cave's only Official thus far is from IU who wants him to play center. Since CB is listed as his recruiter, ND obviously wants him to play DT. If that's where the kid really wants to plays, and considering the fact that Urban has enough 5 star DT's already in tow that Cave would probably never get to play there until his senior year, does that give ND the advantage. His size and strength are potential "Wilfork" like and seems prototypical for the 3-4. It's actually kind of hard to believe that he has not been offered yet. After this year's shenanigans, it seems that it would be unacceptable to CW to lose this local kid to Meyer.

Comment

Originally posted by irishunclebill View Post
                      If that's where the kid really wants to plays, and considering the fact that Urban has enough 5 star DT's already in tow that Cave would probably never get to play there until his senior year, does that give ND the advantage.

Unfortunately, I've stopped believing this idea. With the RBs that USC can recruit, and the DLs that Florida and LSU have been getting, I'm not sure that it really helps. It all comes down to personality. Will he like the coaches?
                      Last edited by GoshenGipper; 02-16-2007, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Hey Irish93, on another subject, since you are from Philly, do you know anything about Nick Moody, he's a Junior LB for Roman Catholic, my High School alma mater. I am trying to find out if he is Adrien Moody's kid. Adrien was one of my classmates, and a great all around athlete, but I have not been able to get in touch with him.

Comment

Hey Irish93, on another subject, since you are from Philly, do you know anything about Nick Moody, he's a Junior LB for Roman Catholic, my High School alma mater. I am trying to find out if he is Adrien Moody's kid. Adrien was one of my classmates, and a great all around athlete, but I have not been able to get in touch with him.
                          No idea. I'm not originally from Philly, so I'm not really into the high school sports scene around here. One of my neighbors played high school ball for Charlie back in the day (if that counts for anything).

Comment

...Since CB is listed as his recruiter, ND obviously wants him to play DT. ...
                            Is ND recruiting by position coach now or still by territory? Isn't Brown covering the Midwest?

Last year Vaas had Nuss an OL, Latina had a Paskorz and Ragone neither one an OL, Haywood had Romine, Lewis had Neal. There were a couple of Position Coaches that recruited a prospect at their position but I belive most were territorial.

Comment

Originally posted by BGIF View Post
                              Is ND recruiting by position coach now or still by territory? Isn't Brown covering the Midwest?

Last year Vaas had Nuss an OL, Latina had a Paskorz and Ragone neither one an OL, Haywood had Romine, Lewis had Neal. There were a couple of Position Coaches that recruited a prospect at their position but I belive most were territorial.
                              Even with geographic territories, the position coaches have been very involved in the recruitment of players for the positions they coach. The effort is a cooridnated team approach. Geographic guy does a portion of the footwork, position coach helps, and Charlie is the closer.

Comment

I was under the impression that they kind of did a "mixture" type of recruting, where the coaches might be affiliated with a specific area, but then also sometimes dealt with players of their respective position who were outside of their area (i.e. Latina working on the recruitment of Wenger and Young in Florida). Maybe that will change now, though.

Comment

Originally posted by illinoisirish88 View Post
                                  Even with geographic territories, the position coaches have been very involved in the recruitment of players for the positions they coach. The effort is a cooridnated team approach. Geographic guy does a portion of the footwork, position coach helps, and Charlie is the closer.
                                  and ShivaIrish

I agree. I'm familiar with the "team" approach but my response wasn't meant to be a treatise on recruiting management. It was in response to a specific statement (which was quoted in my post) about a recruit playing a specific position because a defensive coach, CB, was listed as his recruiter.

...Since CB is listed as his recruiter, ND obviously wants him to play DT. ...

I cited several examples where primary recruiters weren't designated by position but rather by territory as I believe is the case with Cave. Perhaps I should have followed the original poster's logic and noted, "Clausen and Dever obviously must be playing Special Teams and/or LB then as Polian was "listed" as their recruiter".

Comment

BGIF- My apologies for not answering your post earlier. Since all I saw most of this week on this board was monotonous political discourse, I have not been paying much attention to IE. Anyway, your first post on Cave was absolutely correct. It was a mistake on my part to assume that Cave was being recruited for DT merely because Corwin Brown was recruiting him. This may eventually turn out to be the case, but to make that assumption based on what is known was incorrect. I try to avoid making assumptions because they are just as likely to be wrong as to be right. Thanks for pointing that out.

At the present time, Brown is listed as the primary recruiter for Cave, and 3 additional recruits, all from Chicago. Two of the Chicago kids are Defensive players, the third one is a WR. I do believe that CB will become the primary recruiter, even if he is not listed that way, for the elite defensive recruits that the Irish go after. For example, Ianello is listed as the primary for Steven Filer, but it would seem likely that CB is going to be assigned the task of trying to close the deal on a Chicago LB. Cave is not in Filer’s class from a ratings standpoint, but at DT he could eventually play a critical role in the 3-4, and from the standpoint of Cave’s hometown and likely strongest rival (Florida) in trying to recruit him, I have to believe that CW is going to pull out all the stops to try to convince Cave to be Irish. Besides, without anything at all to corroborate it, I think we would all like to believe that having an aggressive young DC like Corwin Brown might have made a difference, hopefully in at least one case, in the recruiting last year of elite defensive recruits like Martin, Tez, Lorenzo Edwards, and Donald. I should point out that starting in the third sentence of this paragraph, with “I do believe”, that I am stating my opinion only, and since it was Mike Farrell’s opinion that on NSD the Irish were likely to lose Ian Williams if anybody, you are not going to get too far on opinions only. Only time will tell.

Comment

No apology needed.

I don't think the primary recruiter for Cave is significant. He can physically walk on campus anytime he choses from where he lives. He undoubtedly knows his way around the ND campus better than Corwin does right now. Powlus made a comment to that effect to Cave on Junior Day. Weis and Brown spoke with him on JD and Weis was stopping by Cave's high school the following week.

I'm also not so sure that Cave is a lock for DL. When Sullivan finishes the '07 season, Wenger will be the only center on the team. Latina may be an important figure here.

Comment

I can see Brown quite involved in Filer's recruiting but people seem to have suddenly forgotten that Ianello has covered that area for many years and covered it well. Ianello is consistently recognized as one of the best recruiters in the college football. Brown has 3 years of college coaching experience and has been out of it for 3 years. Ianello didn't play football in the Chicago Public School League and may not know the coaches that were there when Brown played 15 years ago but he knows all of the today. Having been in pro football and not living in the area Brown has a lot of catching up to do to establish relationships and a base Ianello has established over a decade.

ND fans welcomed anyone to replace Minter but to 18 year old kids who is Corwin Brown? How many of their parents will ask the same question. He's not a household name.

He's in his first DC gig. Been out of college ball since the kids he is now recruiting were in junior high. And he has much to learn about recruiting while he's getting OJT as a DC and learning his fellow coaches at ND, the players, and his way around campus.

Comment

I'm also not so sure that Cave is a lock for DL. When Sullivan finishes the '07 season, Wenger will be the only center on the team. Latina may be an important figure here.
                                          Don't forget that Mike Golic is a center as well, and I would think that he would be a very possible option for ND this recruiting year.

Comment

Braxton just picked up an official offer from Michigan at their recent Jr. day.

Comment

I think this is a good caliber of kid that could really help either the O or D line interior

Comment

Originally posted by GoshenGipper View Post
                                                Don't forget that Mike Golic is a center as well, and I would think that he would be a very possible option for ND this recruiting year.
                                                I didn't forget. At 295 with a 400 BP Cave is already Div 1 size and strength. Golic is 260 and has to add 40 pounds to play. He also has a lot of strength training to go.

ND may have the luxury to play Cave to at DL but my point was Cave isn't a lock to play DL.

Comment

According to Rivals, Braxton Cave has finally received his Official Offer from ND. No confirmation of this on Scout or B&G though, but this had to be just a matter of timing. The question is if he accepts the offer, will he be fighting Golic for the Center position, or will he be a DT on CB's 3-4 scheme.

Comment

The Cave offer seems to be solid info. Braxton received the offer yesterday from CW, with 2 confirming sources.

Comment

Cave has just been confirmed by Scout/Irish Eyes and B&G as being an ND offer. Is there a MOD available to change his tag to Official Offer here?

Comment

I didn't forget. At 295 with a 400 BP Cave is already Div 1 size and strength. Golic is 260 and has to add 40 pounds to play. He also has a lot of strength training to go.

ND may have the luxury to play Cave to at DL but my point was Cave isn't a lock to play DL.

Cave's comments after receiving the offer seem to indicate that ND is recruiting him to play in the interior OL while at the same time encouraging him to play both ways in the Fall.

Comment

According to Scout, BC became ND's second verbal!

Comment

According to Scout, BC became ND's second verbal!
                                                            I don't have premium content access, can anybody that does confirm this but from ythe headline it sounds like he committed to ND.

Comment

Cave is Irish!! I like the fact that he wants to try DL too.
                                                              God, Country, Notre Dame

Comment

Scout has just confirmed it. He'll be wearing the blue and gold boys!!

Comment

nice

how good is this guy though

Comment

Awesome. Awesome awesome awesome. Welcome to the family, Braxton!
                                                                    Stoney is a dead man.

Comment

goodman is IRISH!!!!

Comment

Man. A 6-5 wideout with 4.5 speed and a 6-4 OL/DT who put up 28 reps ... I am AMPED.
                                                                        Stoney is a dead man.

Comment

charlie is taking no prisoners this year!!urban the liar better watchout !!!!!!!!!

Comment

I guess Goodman did make the Junior Weekend after all. If all holds up, this class will be a great one.
                                                                            God, Country, Notre Dame

Comment

• #39
                                                                              Profile updated to represent commit.

Comment

• #40
                                                                                Originally posted by lorangatane View Post
                                                                                nice

how good is this guy though
                                                                                I think that CW knows talent and character; I expect Braxton to be SOLID!!! For those that need reassurance based on what other schools see.....had an offer from Michigan.

Benches over 400!!! Also, as indicated, he can play both sides of the line. This is great news......

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  I can just hear it now "Braxston really Caved in that DL on that pancake block" or " He really Caved in the middle of the offensive line with that pass rush"...ah the wealth of new catch phrases are there no matter where he plays.

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    I love it, this is a huge pick up. No matter where he plays I love seeing our OLine and DLine getting size back. He is going to be a beast once Mendoza gets ahold of him.

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      Huge is an understatement, finally a DT that has some sense and I'm sure it'll pay off in the end. Congrats!!

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        Question: isn't 28 reps how many Joe Thomas did at the Combine? Are Cave's reps at 225 as well?
                                                                                        Stoney is a dead man.

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          no im pretty sure 185

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            Originally posted by Irishknight1023 View Post
                                                                                            no im pretty sure 185
                                                                                            You are correct. It is at 185 lbs.

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              Originally posted by HereComeTheIrish View Post
                                                                                              Oh, okay ... got it. Still, I can't put that up even once.
                                                                                              Stoney is a dead man.

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                Originally posted by HereComeTheIrish View Post
                                                                                                Are you sure, cause I know most colleges do 225. I think it is 225.

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  Originally posted by iloveirish_12 View Post
                                                                                                  Are you sure, cause I know most colleges do 225. I think it is 225.
                                                                                                  Well, Cave isn't in college. And I have to agree with the above posters, it's usually 185 that's used at the camps.

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    He also had Florida and Iowa recruiting him heavily, besides the other two big Indiana schools. With his strength and his desire to play defense I think NT might be the best position for him, but he would be a bit of a project there since this will be his first year playing significant time on defense.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X