Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'08 PA WR/TE Jonathan Baldwin (Pitt Verbal)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '08 PA WR/TE Jonathan Baldwin (Pitt Verbal)

Jonathan Baldwin - WR (6'6"/235lbs)
    Aliquippa High School (Aliquippa, PA)

Combine
    Forty: 4.4
    Bench Reps:
    Bench Max:
    Squat Max:
    Shuttle:
    Vertical:
    GPA: 3.35

Star Ratings
    Rivals.com:
    Scout.com:

Rankings & Accolades
    Rivals and Scout 100
    Rivals #2 TE
    Scout #13 WR

Statistics
    -Receiving: 21 Rec 370 Yds 17.6 Avg 5 TD
    -Returns: 5 Ret 44.4 Avg
    -Defense: 23 Tkl 10 Solo 2 Sck 1 Int

Schools of Interest:
    Michigan
    Notre Dame
    Georgia Tech
    Michigan State
    Pittsburgh
    West Virginia
    Florida
    Florida St.
    Penn State
    Clemson
    USC
    Alabama

Media
    Pittsburgh Post-Gazette [Local Press]
    Last edited by GoshenGipper; 08-31-2007, 04:27 PM.

Last edited by GoshenGipper; 06-29-2007, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Ranked the #14 prospect in the 2006 SI HS Football preview issue.

Comment

Jeter threw a touchdown pass to Jonathan Baldwin, who caught six passes. Both Jeter and Baldwin intercepted passes.
        http://www.timesonline.com/site/news...d=478614&rfi=6

Comment

I've been hearing rumors that Baldwin is a silent to Pitt.

Comment

Junior two-sport star names favorites

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?s...ory_recruiting
            Last edited by thejasonpham; 01-11-2007, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Jonathan made Rivals 100 to watch list, and he has been recieving heavy interest from ND.
              Outlined against a blue-gray October sky, the Four Horsemen rode again. In dramatic lore they are known as Famine, Pestilence, Destruction and Death. These are only aliases. Their real names are Stuhldreher, Miller, Crowley and Layden. They formed the crest of the South Bend cyclone before which another fighting Army football team was swept over the precipice at the Polo Grounds yesterday afternoon as 55,000 spectators peered down on the bewildering panorama spread on the green plain below. - Grantland Rice 1924 :clover:

:football: Brown, ND's first-year defensive coordinator, played at Michigan."(Brown) said if he would have gotten offered by Notre Dame," Slaughter said, "he would have gone to Notre Dame." :football:

I like to quote myself - GoshenGipper

Comment

Profile updated to reflect Local Press and Statistics.

The ability to play both basketball and football seem to be a significant factor in Baldwin's decision as he looks to be a stud on his basketball team.

Baldwin reports a 3.3 GPA.

Comment

Does anybody know what ND's is recruiting him as, a WR or TE ?

It seems as they are recruiting him as a WR but I don't have a much of a feeel on the Baldwin recruitment.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricochet View Post
                    Does anybody know what ND's is recruiting him as, a WR or TE ?

It seems as they are recruiting him as a WR but I don't have a much of a feeel on the Baldwin recruitment.
                    They are recruiting him as a WR. See...

Jonathan Baldwin - Wide Reciever
                    I haven't heard much lately as well. I do know ND is among his favorites, along with Michigan, USC, Pitt, and Alabama, but he isn't sure if he wants to play football, basketball, or both in college, and some are really concerned about his passion for football because in their opinion it can at times affect his effort on the field.
                    Outlined against a blue-gray October sky, the Four Horsemen rode again. In dramatic lore they are known as Famine, Pestilence, Destruction and Death. These are only aliases. Their real names are Stuhldreher, Miller, Crowley and Layden. They formed the crest of the South Bend cyclone before which another fighting Army football team was swept over the precipice at the Polo Grounds yesterday afternoon as 55,000 spectators peered down on the bewildering panorama spread on the green plain below. - Grantland Rice 1924 :clover:

:football: Brown, ND's first-year defensive coordinator, played at Michigan."(Brown) said if he would have gotten offered by Notre Dame," Slaughter said, "he would have gone to Notre Dame." :football:

Comment

he is one of the most confusing prospects in my opinion. I don't understand why you don't here is name that often. If the numbers posted are even close to correct 6'6 with a 4.4 forty, it's hard to understand why he wouldn't be a top 10 prospect. Those are Calvin Johnson type numbers.

Comment

I agree.I think we take 2-3 wrs this year.

Comment

One man's 6'6", 225 lbs with 4.4 speed is another's 6'4", 190 lbs with 4.7 speed. I've seen both posted as his measurables and 40 times. Probably means that somebody is fibbing, so try not to get caught up in stuff you get from a combine, and focus on what you see on the game tape.

Comment

I took that into account, but right now these nubers are kind of all we have to go on most of these guys. I still haven't seen tape of any other of our WR prospects besides Odoms. Also I took it as more credible because Rivals and Scout both had the same numbers listed.

Comment

Originally posted by benneboy View Post
                              he is one of the most confusing prospects in my opinion. I don't understand why you don't here is name that often. If the numbers posted are even close to correct 6'6 with a 4.4 forty, it's hard to understand why he wouldn't be a top 10 prospect. Those are Calvin Johnson type numbers.
                              The numbers are wrong. You're correct, if he was really 6'6 with a 4.4 forty he'd be the number 1 prospect in the country with offers from every school. The numbers are wrong.

He's still a good player, otherwise he wouldn't have received an offer from Weis, but he's just not _that_ good. The numbers are wrong.

Comment

Almost all HS coaches do something like it. Joseph Fauria went from 6'7" to 6'9" at a recent combine and disputed the latter. And are you going to tell me that David Grimes is in reality an inch away from being 6 feet tall? I also read on scout.com that Robert Blanton, cornerback prospect, said he recently posted a 4.3 or low 4.4 forty. Then I read his combine results: 4.6 range. Its bound to happen.

Comment

i hope we start get some top wr this year to go along with the top notch wr we already have on our roster.

Comment

Why not go to ND if you are a great wideout. You have good qbs, rbs, tightens and a good line not to mention CW as a coach. You're on television every week, so when you make a big play the stage is so huge everyone will know about it.

Comment

mr. floyd,tate,baldwin,alexander come on down.top notch qb,te,ol,coaching!
                                      john goodman is jeff s. clone.

Comment

a little off topic but who will committ this weekend?

Comment

Originally posted by knute View Post
                                          The numbers are wrong. You're correct, if he was really 6'6 with a 4.4 forty he'd be the number 1 prospect in the country with offers from every school. The numbers are wrong.

He's still a good player, otherwise he wouldn't have received an offer from Weis, but he's just not _that_ good. The numbers are wrong.
                                          Why are the numbers wrong and why would how tall and fast he is make him the #1 WR? Those are great numbers on paper but that doesn't mean that he's a better football player or even a better athlete than the guy that 6'3 and has the same time in the 40. There is alot more that goes into being a good player, hands, smarts, body control, route running, desire and motor, toughness etc. He's a very, very good player not top 5 but a top 10 type but the point is that it should be judged on height and speed alone if thats the case Jerry Rice would have only been an average WR.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricochet View Post
                                            Why are the numbers wrong and why would how tall and fast he is make him the #1 WR? Those are great numbers on paper but that doesn't mean that he's a better football player or even a better athlete than the guy that 6'3 and has the same time in the 40. There is alot more that goes into being a good player, hands, smarts, body control, route running, desire and motor, toughness etc. He's a very, very good player not top 5 but a top 10 type but the point is that it should be judged on height and speed alone if thats the case Jerry Rice would have only been an average WR.
                                            So I used a little hyperbole, that's what web logs are for... :)

The numbers that are posted on Jonathan's scout and rivals page are not combine numbers, I believe they are either reported by the player or perhaps come from his coach. They are notoriously inaccurate.

BTW: It's not fair to use Jerry Rice as an example, he's unique. Lessons learned from Jerry Rice don't apply to normal people like you and I or Jonathan Baldwin.

Comment

Even if the nubers are completely correct, which I doubt, there is more to it than that. Johnson has absolutely great hands, plus a WR needs to learn how to adjust his body during the route and in the air to shield the defender from the ball, especially the big recievers. All on top of knowing which route to run in the first place or when to break it off, and then going out and doing it. I've heard from Rick Mirer's best friend that, that was actually one of Keyshawn Johnson bigger problems. Announcers on TV would sit around and critizie the QB's for not finding Johnson because he was wide open, but what they didn't know is that he often ran the wrong route, so the QBs often didn't have any idea where he was on the field. One crucial play during a Monday night game while they were both on the Jets comes to mind, but that's mostly because I hear about it the next day during Tues's afternoon practice.

Comment

Free article on Baldwin

http://recruiting.scout.com/2/636762.html

Comment

Originally posted by GoIrish41 View Post
                                                  So there you go, I need to eat my words. Sounds like he has legit speed and offers from all the big schools after all. I guess Charlie was just in on him first.

Now here's to hoping I get to eat my words re: our current receivers.

Comment

Originally posted by GoIrish41 View Post
                                                    Er... they start talking about Butler half way through the article. Scout's writing makes me want to jump off something tall.

Comment

Originally posted by knute View Post
                                                      So there you go, I need to eat my words. Sounds like he has legit speed and offers from all the big schools after all. I guess Charlie was just in on him first.

Now here's to hoping I get to eat my words re: our current receivers.
                                                      You're not the only one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Pham View Post
                                                        Er... they start talking about Butler half way through the article. Scout's writing makes me want to jump off something tall.

Allen Wallace strikes again, he is an idiot. That story is all screwed up, the quote attributed to size and speed could just as easily have been meant to apply to Butler as well as Baldwin. Only the mind of Wallace knows for sure, and the quotes are probably inaccurate anyway. Plus Baldwin was offered months ago, the size and speed quote seemed to be in the context of a recent offer like Butler's. Who knows?

Comment

Here's another free Scout story on Baldwin by Allen Wallace. At least this one is coherent, and all about Baldwin. He is apparently making an unofficial visit to ND the weekend of May 18, which is commencement weekend, so he should be duly impressed. He is also quoted in the article as saying he does not have a leader but favors Notre Dame, Michigan, Pittsburgh and USC. Sounds promising, but it still seems like a long shot to get Baldwin away from the Wolverines. This is a different situation than Clelland or Blanton because Baldwin is a life long Michigan fan, but getting him on campus, and having him quoted as saying ND is one of his favorites certainly is not bad news.

http://recruiting.scout.com/2/642065.html

Comment

Since ND seems to be on a beat Michigan recruiting roll, and Baldwin still showing interest in ND, it should be noted that even though all of the recruiting boards list Baldwin as a TE, he is being recruited to play WR by ND and just about everyone else. The obvious reason for this is Baldwin is apparently a legitimate 4.4 40 guy, and the thought of a 6'6" 225 lb. wide out running downfield faster than the 6 inch smaller CB's trying to cover him would seem to cause instant drool to appear at the corner of the mouth of every college head coach in America. Baldwin also wants to play right away, and at WR for the Irish he would definitely have more of an opportunity to do that than at TE, but he would also most likely have that oppotunity wherever he goes with the possible exception of Poodleland.

Baldwin's stock slipped a little on some of the boards because there was talk he was more interested in basketball, but that seems to have changed recently as he is indicating football is his first choice. He has never been on any of the Scout 100 lists, even though he is a 4 star there, but has always been on the pre-season Rivals 100 lists, where he may end up as a 5 star. He is also the #14 ranked national recruit on the ESPN 150, so we are talking about an elite national recruit here. Because he has been so quiet, Baldwin has sort of flown under the ND WR recruiting radar with all the focus on Floyd & Butler, but there does seem to be an indication growing that ND has a legitimate shot here and may always have been in the hunt. Baldwin also does not sound overly enthusiatic about the Florida schools , who have all offered him as well. This is one where the longer it goes on, the better shot the Irish would seem to have, and if he really wants to play right away for an elite program, at the end of the day this should come down to a choice between ND & Michigan, with ND currently still the underdog.

Comment

Thanks for all the insight, IUB! I'm always happy to see new posts from you.
                                                              Stoney is a dead man.

Comment

To this point I still think he is the most exciting recruit out there. I hate to beat a dead horse in the form of numbers but just to get a perspective on what could be:

Coming out of High School per Rivals:

Calvin Johnson:
                                                                Ht: 6'4"
                                                                WT: 210
                                                                Forty: 4.44
                                                                Vertical: 36"
                                                                Bench: 250 lbs

Jonathan Baldwin:
                                                                Ht: 6'6"
                                                                WT: 225
                                                                Forty: 4.40
                                                                Vertical: 43" (From the Scout article)
                                                                Bench: 320 lbs

Comment

There does seem to be nothing but upside for Baldwin. I'm not really sure why Scout is not as high on him, but he is very highly rated by everyone else. In one of their pre-season evals, Rivals has Baldwin is listed as one of their top 5 WR recruits with names such as Julio Jones, AJ Green, DJ Shoemate, and Dan Buckner. If the 4.4 is correct, and at this point in time, none of the colleges recruiting him seem to doubt it, you are looking at a faster Plaxico Burress with a better attitude, which would all seem to indicate that Baldwin has the potential to be a dominant college wide-out.

Comment

To this point I still think he is the most exciting recruit out there. I hate to beat a dead horse in the form of numbers but just to get a perspective on what could be:

Coming out of High School per Rivals:

Calvin Johnson:
                                                                    Ht: 6'4"
                                                                    WT: 210
                                                                    Forty: 4.44
                                                                    Vertical: 36"
                                                                    Bench: 250 lbs

Jonathan Baldwin:
                                                                    Ht: 6'6"
                                                                    WT: 225
                                                                    Forty: 4.40
                                                                    Vertical: 43" (From the Scout article)
                                                                    Bench: 320 lbs
                                                                    :jawdrop: Damn. Let's make this kid ours.
                                                                    Stoney is a dead man.

Comment

Get this guy to ND quick. That size with that speed....unstoppable. With Goodman, Kamara, and alll our tall ass TE's. One hell of a offense.
                                                                      Return to Glory.......GO IRISH!!

Comment

Just a reminder for all of those making the Calvin Johnson comparison.

Originally posted by GoshenGipper View Post
                                                                        Even if the nubers are completely correct, which I doubt, there is more to it than that. Johnson has absolutely great hands, plus a WR needs to learn how to adjust his body during the route and in the air to shield the defender from the ball, especially the big recievers. All on top of knowing which route to run in the first place or when to break it off, and then going out and doing it. I've heard from Rick Mirer's best friend that, that was actually one of Keyshawn Johnson bigger problems. Announcers on TV would sit around and critizie the QB's for not finding Johnson because he was wide open, but what they didn't know is that he often ran the wrong route, so the QBs often didn't have any idea where he was on the field. One crucial play during a Monday night game while they were both on the Jets comes to mind, but that's mostly because I hear about it the next day during Tues's afternoon practice.

Comment

Baldwin will be on campus in South Bend today, according to scout.

Comment

Man, I'd love to land this kid. There is immediate need for a big fast WR.

Comment

• #39
                                                                              Hey, Scoop, I'm going to be on campus this weekend too. Maybe I'll run into Baldwin at the Grotto and give him some good advice on why he should come to ND. Have any suggestions?

I am of course, just kidding.

Comment

• #40
                                                                                Originally posted by irishunclebill View Post
                                                                                Hey, Scoop, I'm going to be on campus this weekend too. Maybe I'll run into Baldwin at the Grotto and give him some good advice on why he should come to ND. Have any suggestions?

I am of course, just kidding.
                                                                                Give him one of the bricks that fell from the basillica. He'll think it's divine intervention.

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  Originally posted by scooper View Post
                                                                                  Give him one of the bricks that fell from the basillica. He'll think it's divine intervention.
                                                                                  LOL- Great idea.

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    I was going to say shave his head, and spray paint his "dome" gold, but basillica bricks might take the cake.

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      any word on baldwin's unofficial? haven't heard anything about it other than he visited.

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        One of his assistant coaches went with him.

He's looking for an eduation first and foremost. His number one goal is to graduate.

Maybe that is why he's looking at ND a little harder. He was in attendance at the PSU game back in September.
                                                                                        Third cousins. For Italians. That's like twin brothers with the Irish.

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          Originally posted by jiggafini19 View Post
                                                                                          One of his assistant coaches went with him.

He's looking for an eduation first and foremost. His number one goal is to graduate.

Maybe that is why he's looking at ND a little harder. He was in attendance at the PSU game back in September.
                                                                                          Good to see a guy with his priorities straight. Thanks Jigga.

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            Originally posted by scooper View Post
                                                                                            Yeah right. There would be an outcry that would force the NCAA to hammer ND for giving gifts to recrutis.

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              Baldwin seemed to really enjoy his recent visit to ND. One of the first things he mentioned was how much he liked the campus, and the close proximity of all the classes and the stadium. After meeting with coach Weis for about 30 min. he took a tour with Coach Latina and Dave Peloquin. He also said that they sat down with him to break down film of how ND uses thier big WRs (Samardzija and Stovall), how they get them open, what type of routes he'd be running, and how they are utilized in the redzone. He ended with this quote.

"I saw everything I expected to see. Iím still going to go on the rest of my unofficials, but I was pretty impressed with what I saw here. Iím going to go to Ohio State and another school thatís close to home

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                I think ND at least has a decent shot with Baldwin now.

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  When does he want to announce? is he going to take all of his officials?

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    The closest thing to a quote I could find from Baldwin was a scout article saying, "I want to take my time and see what happens. There's no need to rush."

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X