Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'07 TN WR Golden Tate (Signed LOI to Notre Dame)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '07 TN WR Golden Tate (Signed LOI to Notre Dame)

Golden Tate - Wide Reciever (5-11/175)
    Pope John Paul II High School (Hendersonville, TN)

Combine
    Forty: 4.42 Seconds
    Bench Reps: N/A
    Bench Max: 225 Pounds
    Squat Max: 405 Pounds
    Shuttle: N/A
    Vertical: N/A

Rankings & Accolades
    - Rivals.com: Rivals250
    - Rivals.com: Athletes (7)
    - Rivals.com: Tennessee Top 20 (2)
    - Scout.com: Wide Recievers (36)

Star Ratings
    Rivals.com:
    Scout.com:

School Choices
    1. Notre Dame (Solid Verbal)
    2. Alabama
    3. Georgia Tech
    4. Mississippi
    5. South Carolina
    6. Vanderbilt
    Last edited by TonyTiger; 01-26-2007, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Quotes:

Originally posted by Pope John Paul II High School head coach Jeff Brothers
      "He's a player that can score from anywhere on the field, in any situation. He's very shifty, he has great vision, he's able to set up cut back lanes, and he has the breakaway speed to turn a potential loss into an 80-yard touchdown. He has tremendous talent, he's very humble and he understands that it could all be gone in a moments notice. He's a 3.0 (g.p.a.) student. He's a great kid. He's the kind of kid you pull for. He's a respectful, well-spoken kid. It's a thrill to be his coach."

Comment

Is he going to play O or D? I have heard he was going to play WR.

Comment

Originally posted by iloveirish_12 View Post
          Is he going to play O or D? I have heard he was going to play WR.
          He said that ND recruited him at RB but he was also interested in playing WR.

Comment

guys i actually meet golden at offense defense game in ft lauderdale
            i see him returning kicks,some wr,3rd down back.too small for every down back.

Comment

5-11 and a speedster screams WR and KR to me.

Comment

ND was originally recruiting him at RB, but then after the *cough*Benn*cough* disaster combined with Golden's interest in the WR drills Weis told him that his first shot will be at WR/KR, but if he feels Golden could help the team more at a different position then he will move him there, and Golden said that would be just fine with him.
                Outlined against a blue-gray October sky, the Four Horsemen rode again. In dramatic lore they are known as Famine, Pestilence, Destruction and Death. These are only aliases. Their real names are Stuhldreher, Miller, Crowley and Layden. They formed the crest of the South Bend cyclone before which another fighting Army football team was swept over the precipice at the Polo Grounds yesterday afternoon as 55,000 spectators peered down on the bewildering panorama spread on the green plain below. - Grantland Rice 1924 :clover:

:football: Brown, ND's first-year defensive coordinator, played at Michigan."(Brown) said if he would have gotten offered by Notre Dame," Slaughter said, "he would have gone to Notre Dame." :football:

I like to quote myself - GoshenGipper

Comment

Yes, eveything I have heard says he'll be used as WR or DB... maybe both, you never know... right now? I'd expect him to play DB with little time put in at WR... but a lot can change... either way he's a hell of a weapon...

any time we will have Allen and him on the field and the same time the Defense will be shaking... no doubt
                  This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

Weis referred to Golden as a WR in his signing day press conference FWIT. I found this on another board from someone who played against him.

"I played against him in high school and he's easily the best player I've ever seen. He had like 400 yards with 5 td's (7 td's but 2 called back because of penalties)against us. We weren't terrible, we won the state championship but he still absolutely dominated us."

------Against a State Champion team is pretty impressive. People may sleep on him because of his size, but Steve Smith from USC was and still is 5-11(I know because I am a Giants fan.) Seeing his highlights is pretty impressive. I know he has a hand injury, but it was nothing very serious and look foward to him trying to contribute early either returning kicks are catching balls. ESPN is the only one who noticed his talent(Yeah I know it's ESPN.)

Comment

Curiosity; is Tom Lemming still affiliated with ESPN's recruiting coverage? We all know he's an ND homer, so I wondered why ESPN would "notice" his talent, and not the others.

Comment

No Lemming doesn't work there anymore he does the CSTV thing now.

Comment

Golden was selected in the 42nd round by the Arizona Diamonbacks earlier this week.
                          Outlined against a blue-gray October sky, the Four Horsemen rode again. In dramatic lore they are known as Famine, Pestilence, Destruction and Death. These are only aliases. Their real names are Stuhldreher, Miller, Crowley and Layden. They formed the crest of the South Bend cyclone before which another fighting Army football team was swept over the precipice at the Polo Grounds yesterday afternoon as 55,000 spectators peered down on the bewildering panorama spread on the green plain below. - Grantland Rice 1924 :clover:

:football: Brown, ND's first-year defensive coordinator, played at Michigan."(Brown) said if he would have gotten offered by Notre Dame," Slaughter said, "he would have gone to Notre Dame." :football:

I like to quote myself - GoshenGipper

Comment

Some guy on another forum said that he sent Golden a message on facebook congradulating him on being drafted and Golden said thanks, but I didn't even know I was drafted haha. The mans ready for football season!

Comment

Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                              Yes, eveything I have heard says he'll be used as WR or DB... maybe both, you never know... right now? I'd expect him to play DB with little time put in at WR... but a lot can change... either way he's a hell of a weapon...

any time we will have Allen and him on the field and the same time the Defense will be shaking... no doubt
                              Since the Clausen thread was re-opened I thought I would read some of the posts from some of the stars of yesteryear. Man this site has grown in leaps and bounds since then.

Sure shook up that defensive backfield, didn't he..

PS: Love ya ACamp.

Comment

wow its nice to open the archives and delve into this a bit, funny how some predictions have....fallen off
                                "In this room, we win. Out there, they get a chance to feel it." -Brian Kelly

Comment

Wow this thread is short

Comment

Originally posted by jason_h537 View Post
                                    Wow this thread is short
                                    A couple years back, one of the old moderators got upset about something or other and deleted all the important recruiting threads. This must have been the year.

Comment

Wow this thread is short
                                      Everybody was so in awe of Golden's film that they had no words. Literally.

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan View Post
                                        A couple years back, one of the old moderators got upset about something or other and deleted all the important recruiting threads. This must have been the year.
                                        Was this the year with that guy who had inside information? I remember that was a big joke when I joined.

Comment

I am surprised that the recruitment of Golden only got to barely two pages. Did he just fly under everyone's radar or what?

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan View Post
                                            The incident you refer to had to do with a premium information being copied and posted on thsi site with no attribution. People were told to paraphrase articles not cut and paste and to provide cites for articles. A couple of people were "too cool", "didn't want to waste their time", "didn't believe in copyright law" etc. Two recruiting service sent letters to this board and at least two other ND boards advising that they would sue. One mod here thought he would be sued personally so he took it upon himself to delete "pirated" posts. Apparently he got tired of reading through all the posts at 3 am in the morning so he then started deleting posts in a thread in bunches. Then he simply deleted threads. Next morning the recruiting board and football board looked like swiss cheese with rats around. He left the site.

Comment

Originally posted by BGIF View Post
                                              The incident you refer to had to do with a premium information being copied and posted on thsi site with no attribution. People were told to paraphrase articles not cut and paste and to provide cites for articles. A couple of people were "too cool", "didn't want to waste their time", "didn't believe in copyright law" etc. Two recruiting service sent letters to this board and at least two other ND boards advising that they would sue. One mod here thought he would be sued personally so he took it upon himself to delete "pirated" posts. Apparently he got tired of reading through all the posts at 3 am in the morning so he then started deleting posts in a thread in bunches. Then he simply deleted threads. Next morning the recruiting board and football board looked like swiss cheese with rats around. He left the site.
                                              Good memory. Forgot all the details.

Comment

Originally posted by Riddickulous View Post
                                                Everybody was so in awe of Golden's film that they had no words. Literally.
                                                Actually there was quite a bit of discussion about his level of competition and whether he would verbal to Tennessee. He looked good on film but quite a few people blew off his performance because "the DBs are all small and slow" etc. Tate was the best athlete on his team and played RB. There was discussion on how far down on the depth chart he'd be at RB. Some discussion on possibly being a 3rd down back out of backfield. No hint he'd be a Bilitnikoff winner and a high draft choice. He had several strong supporters and several strong detractors.

Comment

Was this the year with that guy who had inside information? I remember that was a big joke when I joined.
                                                  No you came in '09 this was two years earlier. Different stories.

Comment

Originally posted by Veer option View Post
                                                    I am surprised that the recruitment of Golden only got to barely two pages. Did he just fly under everyone's radar or what?
                                                    No, see posts below. There was a futher situation that the owner of this board after the threat of litigation by the recruting services sold it and started a new ND board. The new owner didn't want to run the site just own it as a financial interest. With no adminstrator and no direction the board became a sewer. Most of the posters from here migrated to the new ND site. Some people for the new site came back to trash this site and tried to run it into the ground. The late GoshenGipper kept the site alive and it slowly grew back. I did a post within the past year about the history of IE. I'm not going to repeat all the gory details in a recruit's thread.

Comment

No, see posts below. There was a futher situation that the owner of this board after the threat of litigation by the recruting services sold it and started a new ND board. The new owner didn't want to run the site just own it as a financial interest. With no adminstrator and no direction the board became a sewer. Most of the posters from here migrated to the new ND site. Some people for the new site came back to trash this site and tried to run it into the ground. The late GoshenGipper kept the site alive and it slowly grew back. I did a post within the past year about the history of IE. I'm not going to repeat all the gory details in a recruit's thread.

For those so interested...

Comment

Ahhhhhh! Thank you, for making things more clear.

Originally posted by edgesofsanity View Post
                                                        I appreciate the link.

Comment

Golden Tate at a recent charity golf tournament.

Reppin' the Blue & Gold.

Comment

Originally posted by Whiskeyjack View Post

Golden Tate at a recent charity golf tournament.

Reppin' the Blue & Gold.
                                                            I figured I wouldn't be the only one to see that article. lol
                                                            "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

I need to get me a pair of those pants.

Comment

Nice!

LMAO!

Why didn't this guy just squeeze out one more GD season...?!

Comment

Originally posted by johnnykillz View Post
                                                                  Nice!

LMAO!

Why didn't this guy just squeeze out one more GD season...?!
                                                                  God wanted Theo Riddick to move to the slot.

Comment

I saw Golden out at a bar here in Nashville a couple months ago. Nice guy...but he was wearing a "Seahawks 2010 NFC West Champs" hat. I guess I should be thankful he wasn't wearing his Seahawks jersey as well!

Comment

Originally posted by irishog77 View Post
                                                                      I saw Golden out at a bar here in Nashville a couple months ago. Nice guy...but he was wearing a "Seahawks 2010 NFC West Champs" hat. I guess I should be thankful he wasn't wearing his Seahawks jersey as well!
                                                                      ... so? He plays for them, I guess I'm missing what the issue is here.
                                                                      Hi!

Comment

Congrats to Golden on his first career TD.

NFL Videos: A TD for Tate
                                                                        I do not like Brian Kelly as a coach.

Comment

It's about ****ing time.

Comment

It's about ****ing time.
                                                                            lol I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to say anything...
                                                                            "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

• #39
                                                                              i hope he gets thing turned around...he was a lot of fun to watch and right now i miss him dearly
                                                                              Love You JB 64.....RIP.....AI720....4EVER

Comment

• #40
                                                                                I miss Golden...wish we still had the Tate/Floyd threat

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  He really made a bad choice to go to the draft when he did. And even worse got drafted by a terrible team.
                                                                                  Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    He was one of the most talented athletes I've ever seen: incredible balance, excellent speed, vice like hands. He was also my favorite player at ND after his first GO route in 2007.

That said, sometimes I wonder if he has the edge he needs to be a great pro. Its almost as if he just has too many other things going on for him to be fully invested. He obviously has the talent, and I am not saying he is not working very hard, but there is a difference between putting in your day's work, and really being driven to be the best. As Apollo Creed might say, he doesn't seem to have "the eye of the tiger." Could be totally off-base here, but that has been my impression.

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      Originally posted by irishff1014 View Post
                                                                                      He really made a bad choice to go to the draft when he did. And even worse got drafted by a terrible team.
                                                                                      The thought of Golden Tate in Kelly's Z position is one that makes me sad he didn't stay.

Originally posted by Domina Nostra View Post
                                                                                      He was one of the most talented athletes I've ever seen: incredible balance, excellent speed, vice like hands. He was also my favorite player at ND after his first GO route in 2007.

That said, sometimes I wonder if he has the edge he needs to be a great pro. Its almost as if he just has too many other things going on for him to be fully invested. He obviously has the talent, and I am not saying he is not working very hard, but there is a difference between putting in your day's work, and really being driven to be the best. As Apollo Creed might say, he doesn't seem to have "the eye of the tiger." Could be totally off-base here, but that has been my impression.
                                                                                      He's a terrible route runner and has great trouble separating in press coverage. Plus the Seahawks have 400,000 receivers.

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        He's a terrible route runner.
                                                                                        That's kind of my point. Seems like a pretty talented and intelligent kid to have a problem learning routes.

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          Originally posted by Domina Nostra View Post
                                                                                          That's kind of my point. Seems like a pretty talented and intelligent kid to have a problem learning routes.
                                                                                          It all comes down to Weis. When Kelly came in he stated how poorly Mike Floyd ran routes. Floyd has improved greatly over the past two seasons, but he still isn't a good route runner. Poor development by Weis.

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            Golden made a tremendous touchdown grab tonight, his 3rd of the year and second straight week with a touchdown catch.

NFL Videos: Week 13 Can't-Miss Play: A Golden catch

Comment

• #47

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                His career possibly finally really getting started? All it takes is a QB getting comfortable with him.

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  Decommited Per Rivals. Chose Houston.
                                                                                                  Life is one, big Over/Under.

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    Originally posted by Mr. McGibblets View Post
                                                                                                    Decommited Per Rivals. Chose Houston.
                                                                                                    I chuckled. I won't lie!
                                                                                                    Golden needs a real QB!
                                                                                                    We learned more from a three-minute record, than we ever learned in school...

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X