Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'07 CA QB Jimmy Clausen (Signed LOI to Notre Dame)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '07 CA QB Jimmy Clausen (Signed LOI to Notre Dame)

Jimmy Clausen - Quarterback (6-3/200)
    Oaks Christian (Westlake Village, CA)

Combine
    Forty: 4.7 Seconds
    Bench Reps: N/A
    Bench Max: N/A
    Squat Max: N/A
    Shuttle: N/A
    Vertical: N/A

Rankings & Accolades
    - Rivals.com 100 (1)
    - Rivals.com Pro-Style Quarterbacks (1)
    - Rivals.com California Top 100 (1)
    - Scout.com Quarterbacks (1)

Star Ratings
    Rivals.com:
    Scout.com:

School Choices
    1. Notre Dame (Solid Verbal)
    2. Michigan
    3. South Carolina
    4. Southern Cal
    Last edited by Jason Pham; 01-26-2007, 03:27 PM.

Last edited by TonyTiger; 01-26-2007, 01:01 PM.

Comment

http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/journal...s/16470418.htm

Clausen is ready to start Notre Dame career
      By Michael Rothstein
      The Journal Gazette
      Associated Press

WESTLAKE VILLAGE, Calif. – His eyes glared off to the sun slowly setting over the mountains in the distance. It became the focus point for him as yet another reporter asked him questions in November.

Sitting on an elevated slab of concrete in the courtyard of his high school, Oaks Christian, Jimmy Clausen looks different than the last time we saw him.

Gone is the spiked-up, Jimmy Neutron hair, replaced by a closely cut hairstyle that makes him fit in amongst his peers a little easier. So, too, are the championship rings on his fingers – although this could be due to his departure for football practice in a few moments.

This was part of the final days of Clausen in California, as he’s in South Bend now, preparing to start classes as an early enrollee at Notre Dame this week along with cornerback Gary Gray and running back Armando Allen.

Clausen’s last two months had been busy. He won a state championship in football, the first time the California Interscholastic Federation held a state-wide title game. He took home Player of the Year honors at the All-American Bowl in San Antonio and now the beginning of his competition to replace Brady Quinn as Notre Dame’s starting quarterback.

“Every coach says if you’re good enough to play, you’re going to get a chance to compete,” Clausen said. “If I went to any other place, those coaches would say that. (Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis is) saying that to every other kid he’s recruiting right now.

“That’s what every kid wants to hear, that they have a chance to compete, and that’s all I’m asking.”

This is how Notre Dame’s most heralded quarterback recruit since Ron Powlus will enter his career – in a tough competition.

Four candidates will vie for the right to be Quinn’s successor: Clausen, sophomore Evan Sharpley and freshmen Demetrius Jones and Zach Frazer. Weis said spring practice has the potential for excitement and increased interest in part because of the open slot at quarterback.

“If there is anybody that could come in and start as a freshman at quarterback, it is Jimmy Clausen,” said Bill Redell, Clausen’s coach at Oaks Christian and a former Canadian Football League quarterback. “I’m not saying he will, but if anyone can do it, he can.”

This is the type of pressure Clausen is used to. He saw it from his older brothers, Casey and Rick. He also had it from himself – as he was the consensus top prospect in the country entering his senior season and was on a football team with at least nine other Division I players.

But throughout all of this, the 19-year-old Clausen tried to remain a kid. He’d go to Newport Beach or Santa Monica with his friends to hang out and escape the real world closing in around him. Clausen needs those moments because there is so much of his life that has become public.

When he attended Oaks Christian, classmates asked him to sign footballs and helmets and take pictures with them. Sound familiar? Quinn had memorabilia left outside his dorm room almost daily at Notre Dame, awaiting his signature.

“It’s kind of weird and stuff like that, but I’ve got to go through it,” said Clausen, who described the whole scenario as a little surreal.

A lot of it goes back to the way he made his commitment to Notre Dame. It was flashy and extravagant for a high school kid, but it is something Clausen is over. He said it is in the past and “it’s what I wanted, what I did and I moved on.”

It is a confident statement, and that is what Redell says is Clausen’s biggest strength as a quarterback. It also may be his biggest weakness, as the competition he’ll face in college will be a lot stronger now.

“He’s such a competitive kid he doesn’t think he can get beat,” Redell said. “He’s so competitive he may need to rein it in sometimes. I don’t mean it in a cocky way. Joe Kapp didn’t think he could be beat. Jimmy hasn’t yet. He’s 42-0 as a quarterback.

“His greatest strength is that he’s competitive. His greatest weakness is that he needs to tone down the competitiveness.”

Redell’s best example: Clausen in the CIF-Southern Section championship game his sophomore year against Oak Park. Coming out of halftime, Oaks Christian trailed, 21-20. Clausen pulled Redell over on the 10-yard line and told him “Don’t worry coach, I’ll take it from here. We’ll beat them.”

What happened?

Clausen scored three touchdowns, Redell said, and Oaks Christian cruised to a victory.

That is Clausen’s past. This is his present: another freshman in South Bend, trying to adjust to college life, nervous and eager all at the same time.

“I kind of want to get out of high school and move on with everything that is going to be going on,” Clausen said.

“It’s fun and kind of scary looking at it, leaving everything.”

mrothstein@jg.net

Comment

tony, with all of the work on the ND board lately... are you becoming a closet Irish fan?

Comment

Originally posted by njuneardave View Post
          tony, with all of the work on the ND board lately... are you becoming a closet Irish fan?
          LOL. I can seriously admit that I have alot less Notre Dame hate since becoming the Admin here, but I dont think I could ever derail myself from the green and white.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Rogers
            "Good size, good mobility, can throw on the run when flushed. Has a high release point and gets the ball out of his hands quickly. Shows really good arm strength and excellent accuracy on deep balls. Shows good anticipation to spots on the field and equally effective against zone or man. What sets Clausen apart from others is his ability to zip the ball in on hard throws. He can really throw the slant and skinny post. He also has excellent setup and footwork mechanics, so he is rarely out of position to make a throw. Should be a standout in Charlie Weiss’ offense and able to play early because he has learned about facing pressure from his older brothers."
            Originally posted by Casey Clausen
            "Some of the throws he's making right now, I couldn't do that until my junior year at Tennessee."
            Originally posted by Mike Farrell
            "Clausen is as mechanically developed as any quarterback in the last decade. He has a very quick release he delivers from ear level, a strong arm and excellent accuracy. Clausen is mobile enough to get outside the pocket when needed and throws well on the run. He has excellent feet, makes quick and smart decisions and displays excellent poise and pocket presence. Clausen throws a nice deep ball, but his strength is in the intermediate passing game where he can deliver the ball with the most zip. He leads his targets well and knows how to throw the ball in tight coverage, putting it where only his receiver can catch it. Clausen gets into his drops quickly and sets well before most of his throws. He has good ball skills but needs to sell play action a bit better. He needs to add strength and fill out his frame."
            Sounds like a solid pickup. :D
            Last edited by TonyTiger; 01-26-2007, 01:53 PM.

Comment

So do you guys think Clausen starts from year one? Or does he play a #2 role? Or perhaps, does he get a redshirt?

Comment

A good article about future potential or someone who's already prepared

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=106045

Comment

I'm 85% positive that JC won't redshirt.

Comment

thats not even an option, ND doesn't redshirt players

Comment

Clausen Parade Magazine Co-Player of the year.

From the Scouts, Inc. Briefing Room:

"McKnight, Clausen share prestigious honor
                      ESPN's No. 1 overall prospect Joe McKnight and No. 1 quarterback Jimmy Clausen have been selected as Parade Magazine co-Players of the Year.

McKnight amassed 1,928 all-purpose yards and 30 touchdowns while playing running back, wide receiver, defensive back and returning both kicks and punts. He averaged around 15 yards per rush and about 30 yards per reception while leading John Curtis to a 14-0 record and a state championship.

Clausen completed 69-percent of his passes for 3,428 yards and 49 touchdowns with just six interceptions as Oaks Christian (Calif.) finished 15-0 including a CIF Division III Bowl victory."

Comment

Can recruits live up to the big hype?

Quarterback Jimmy Clausen, the naton's top-rated recruit, and HML running back Armando Allen have some lofty goals to achieve at Notre Dame.
                        By MANNY NAVARRO

Despite the snow and freezing temperatures, Armando Allen said his first two weeks as a football player on Notre Dame's campus have lived up to the billing.

''It's been pretty cool,'' said Allen, a running back from Hialeah-Miami Lakes High who was one of three nationally prized recruits to enroll in South Bend, Ind., for classes a semester early Jan. 16. One of his two roommates this semester? The top-rated recruit in the nation, Jimmy Clausen.

''It's like before we even got here they knew who we were,'' Allen said. ``When we go eat, different students are asking us for autographs. Little kids walking around campus are asking us for autographs. It's Notre Dame football.''

But Allen, one of the nation's top high school running back recruits, and fellow freshman and cornerback Gary Gray soon might find themselves being flooded with more than autograph requests with Clausen as their roommate.

For those who haven't spent much time glued to the Internet for the latest tidbits on where highly touted teenage football players are leaning, Clausen is the quarterback experts have dubbed the high school football version of LeBron James.

`GOLDEN ARM'

He's the kid who was featured in Sports Illustrated the summer before his 17th birthday under the headline ''The Kid with the Golden Arm,'' the most polished quarterback to come out of passer-rich California since John Elway and by far the best overall talent to come out of high school this year.

But is it all hype or is Clausen the real deal?

''I think it's talent and hype, which I think comes like LeBron James, who had the hype and the talent,'' said Tom Lemming, who does the player rankings for CSTV.com and who, along with Rivals.com, ranks Clausen as the best player in the country.

``I've been doing this 28 years. My first year, I interviewed John Elway and Dan Marino when they were coming out of high school. Those two along with Jeff George, Chris Leak, Peyton Manning and Josh Booty, those were the best quarterbacks I'd seen in high school. Clausen fits into that group.''

Clausen, 6-3 and 200 pounds, put up the numbers and earned the type of trophies and rings that would lead you to believe he will one day belong in that group.

He never lost a high school game in his three years as the starting quarterback at Westlake Village's Oaks Christian School in California, a small private school of 600 students. He went 42-0, won four consecutive Division XI California Interscholastic Federation Southern Section championships and led Westlake, a team loaded with 11 major Division I-A recruits, to the first state title in California history this past season. His career statistics are eye-opening: 10,734 yards, 146 touchdowns and only 20 interceptions.

Of course, Clausen has been bred for football success. His two older brothers, Casey and Rick, played quarterback at Tennessee. Casey, Jimmy's oldest brother, was a four-year starter at Tennessee, where he ended his career in 2003 as the second-most prolific passer behind Manning. Rick's career didn't last as long. Both have said the younger Clausen, who already was participating in quarterback camps and following his brother, Casey, around the Tennessee locker room by the seventh grade, is by far the best talent.

Lemming said Clausen has Manning's brains and Joe Montana's sixth sense -- the ability to find open receivers, and a strong enough arm to throw the deep-out pattern.

''Right now, if he keeps improving like he has the last three years, he's going to be a Heisman candidate for sure,'' Lemming said. ``Going to work with [Charlie] Weis is really going to help him. The only thing you can hope for is that he hasn't hit a ceiling.''

Clausen, 19, proved he could play well against top-tier competition when he won the MVP award earlier this month at the U.S. Army All-American Game in San Antonio. That came two days after he was voted the National Player of the Year.

So why isn't everybody in love with Clausen?

When he announced his college choice, it wasn't your usual ''stand in front of a mike and put a hat on your head kind of announcement.'' Clausen and his family went Hollywood, reportedly hiring the same high-profile publicist who promoted the movies We Are Marshall and Gridiron Gang to help plan the big announcement live on ESPN at the College Football Hall of Fame in South Bend.

BOLD STATEMENT

After he announced he was picking the Irish over Southern Cal and South Carolina while flashing his state championship rings, Clausen bodly told reporters his plan was to win four national championship rings. All that after reportedly pulling up to the ceremony 45 minutes late in a stretch Hummer limo.

As good as Clausen might be, though, hype alone will not get him the starting job at Notre Dame vacated by Brady Quinn. Lemming said Clausen will have to have to beat more athletic redshirt freshmen Demetrius Jones and Zach Frazer when spring practice starts.

And Clausen already could be falling behind. Allen said Clausen has sat out a few of the early 7-on-7 drills because of bone spurs in his throwing elbow.

Still, Allen said, the two have begun envisioning scenarios in which they are together in the backfield.

''They had an article up here about us being the next Reggie Bush and Matt Leinart,'' said Allen, who passed on national champion Florida. ``We kind of laughed about that, you know, wouldn't it be great if we could come up here and have an impact like those two did?

``That's our plan, but probably to be even a little better than that.''
                        Outlined against a blue-gray October sky, the Four Horsemen rode again. In dramatic lore they are known as Famine, Pestilence, Destruction and Death. These are only aliases. Their real names are Stuhldreher, Miller, Crowley and Layden. They formed the crest of the South Bend cyclone before which another fighting Army football team was swept over the precipice at the Polo Grounds yesterday afternoon as 55,000 spectators peered down on the bewildering panorama spread on the green plain below. - Grantland Rice 1924 :clover:

:football: Brown, ND's first-year defensive coordinator, played at Michigan."(Brown) said if he would have gotten offered by Notre Dame," Slaughter said, "he would have gone to Notre Dame." :football:

I like to quote myself - GoshenGipper

Comment

He better win 3 NC and 2 of the over rated trophys.

Comment

I dont care what trophies he wins personally. I just hope he helps us beat USC and win a NC
                            Though I be the lone survivor...
                            IRISH RANGER

Comment

Originally posted by irishranger View Post
                              I dont care what trophies he wins personally. I just hope he helps us beat USC and win a NC
                              How great would it be to play out of our minds and beat USC next year, screwing up their NC chances? God I would love that, it would be a big mushrooom stamp to all the guys that Chose USC over ND ;)

Comment

the pressure on him is ridiculous. while I'd love for him to meet expectations, I think it will be almost impossible.

and what a great time those warm weather kids came at:)
                                "I don't care about the rest of the world, all I care about is Notre Dame football..." - Maurice Crum Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by tgolden View Post
                                  the pressure on him is ridiculous. while I'd love for him to meet expectations, I think it will be almost impossible.

and what a great time those warm weather kids came at:)
                                  It sucks to have the deadweight defense around his ankles like Brady did. They have to pull their weight or Clausen's going to need to put up 50 a game.

Comment

100% Jimmy Clausen and ill tell you why

Jimmy Clausen isnt as fast as demitrius Jones but has enough speed to scramble away from a defender and get a pass off.

JC may not be as tall and have the arm that zach frazier is loaded with but he has something else that i have not seen any of these other QBs have and thats the command of there team. After a bad 3 and out (if that ever happened to him in high school) he would be on the sideline discussing, fixing what happened that set and that leadership is NOTRE DAME FIGHTING IRISH FOOTBALL.

Go Irish

Comment

anyone know how claussen is doing with the new offense?

Comment

just a little something i came across that i saw it is pretty funny. It shows you how badly people wanted Clausen, and the moment he picked ND over their team he wasn't as good as the other QB's in this class. The forum starts off a lovefest over him and then toward the bottom turns into a rip fest. These are Nebraska fans as well....

http://www.huskerboard.com/forums/in...showtopic=6805

Comment

plus, theres an article in the new ESPN magazine that he is suppsedly turning heads in the 7 on 7's in South Bend. No link that im aware of.

Comment

Originally posted by Irishknight1023 View Post
                                            just a little something i came across that i saw it is pretty funny. It shows you how badly people wanted Clausen, and the moment he picked ND over their team he wasn't as good as the other QB's in this class. The forum starts off a lovefest over him and then toward the bottom turns into a rip fest. These are Nebraska fans as well....

http://www.huskerboard.com/forums/in...showtopic=6805
                                            this is very similar to many if not most of the profiles on this site of players who chose other schools over ND. I suppose it's human nature, but you are right, it is a bit funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Irishknight1023 View Post
                                              plus, theres an article in the new ESPN magazine that he is suppsedly turning heads in the 7 on 7's in South Bend. No link that im aware of.
                                              turning heads in a good way or a bad way. Even thought Clausen looks like a phsico, i want him to start from the very beginning

Comment

Article from ESPN the MAG. link from Domer Domain, scroll to the bottom and there is the story...

Click here: Domer Domain :: View topic - jimmy clausen article in espn mag

Comment

that didnt work,,,,,how about this.....

http://www.domerdomain.com/forum/vie...0af94c21a0d80a

Comment

i just read the article in our ESPN mag. it's a pretty good article. it's getting me fired up for the upcoming season. when i read that pete carroll texted jimmy after the LSU game and said 'are you sure you want to do this? you can still say yes.', i realized how much i'm looking forward to next season.

Comment

I liked how the article explained the entire situation behind getting a hummer, and the real inscription on his blinged out number 7 medallion. Its a very good article, one thing I was concerned about before was Clausen's work ethic. After reading how hard he worked with his trainer, I don't have many concerns anymore.
                                                      If you're mad at your kid, you can either raise him to play nose tackle, or send him out to play on the freeway, it's about the same thing. Bob Golic

Comment

I thought that it was an uplifting article as well; especially the following points:

-dedication as has been mentioned
                                                        -commitment by him and family to long-term (unwavering despite late season set-backs)
                                                        -support provided by his brother. It is hilarious that many detractors point to Casey's inability to crack an NFL line-up as him being a 'failure'. Here'e a guy who started 44 games (READ: ALL 4 YEARS) at a premium SEC school. Now he's helping his little brother to be even better.

Comment

And for all those who knock him for his cockiness, here is a very small list of athletes who were 'cocky' well before they became dominant:

-Tiger Woods
                                                          -Jack Nicklaus
                                                          -Wayne Gretzky
                                                          -Sidney Crosby
                                                          -Patrick Roy
                                                          -Cassius Clay
                                                          -John Elway
                                                          -Tom Brady
                                                          -Lance Armstrong

There aren't many dominant athletes that don't have some level of 'brashness' to them.

Comment

deion sanders defined the term "cocky".

Comment

I read the article as well and I think even more highly of him now than I did before.

His dedication and drive will be what makes him special because talent will only take you so far w/o those. I believe he will be elite, and I am predicting that he will the heisman at some point in his career. His devotion to ND should also be noted as he NEVER wavered in his commitment to CW. His crack about going to the Giants w/ CW showed that.

Comment

I finally got a chance to read the article and I was kinnda upset because I didn't want it to end. When Charlie and one of his assistants went to Jimmy's house after the loss to LSU and Jim Clausen told them to go recurite offensive linemen and linebackers I got so excited that I nearly wet myself. After a loss like that and then the response has got my mouth watering for more. I have been an ND fan since consepction and I have never been more excited this time of year that I can remember. Just hope that I'm not staring into the headlights to an on coming semi!
                                                                The man behind the machine that is MMJ

Comment

I finally got a chance to read the article and I was kinnda upset because I didn't want it to end. When Charlie and one of his assistants went to Jimmy's house after the loss to LSU and Jim Clausen told them to go recurite offensive linemen and linebackers I got so excited that I nearly wet myself. After a loss like that and then the response has got my mouth watering for more. I have been an ND fan since consepction and I have never been more excited this time of year that I can remember. Just hope that I'm not staring into the headlights to an on coming semi.

Comment

I finally got a chance to read the article and I was kinnda upset because I didn't want it to end. When Charlie and one of his assistants went to Jimmy's house after the loss to LSU and Jim Clausen told them to go recurite offensive linemen and linebackers I got so excited that I nearly wet myself. After a loss like that and then the response has got my mouth watering for more. I have been an ND fan since consepction and I have never been more excited this time of year that I can remember. Just hope that I'm not staring into the headlights to an on coming sei.

Comment

I finally got a chance to read the article and I was kinnda upset because I didn't want it to end. When Charlie and one of his assistants went to Jimmy's house after the loss to LSU and Jim Clausen told them to go recurite offensive linemen and linebackers I got so excited that I nearly wet myself. After a loss like that and then the response has got my mouth watering for more. I have been an ND fan since consepction and I have never been more excited this time of year that I can remember. Just hope that I'm not staring into the headlights to an on coming semi.

Comment

Saw a thing on ESPN news, they had a poll on the best teenager athlete in the world today. I think you could vote for......Kevin Durant, Sidney Crosby, Greg Oden, somebody else and Jimmy Clausen. I just thought that was funny because Jimmy hasn't even taken a snap in a college sport yet let alone pro....man is he hyped...anyway he finished last in the poll which he should lol but its still awesome.

Comment

That would make my year for sure

Comment

better late than never?

Comment

• #39
                                                                              hes a new guy here.. I invited him here. its all good haha

Comment

• #40
                                                                                no prob. i wasn't meaning to make fun.

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  Per Rivals.com , Jimmy Clausen just decommitted.
                                                                                  Life is one, big Over/Under.

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    mcgibblets, so funny i love it!

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      Did he say why?

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        Academics and wanting to stay instate.... he was in tears...LOL

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          Classic....this made my day!
                                                                                          "The good lord put eyes in front of your head rather than in back so you can see where you're going rather than where you've been." Lou Holtz

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            He's too ****y anyway, the limo and all that....
                                                                                            2013 IE College Fantasy Football Champion

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              Clausen returns to Notre dame to finish degree

Not sure if this has been posted but I hadn't seen it.

I for one am impressed that JC is back at ND to finish his degree.

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                Awesome!!!

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  He should have never left.
                                                                                                  Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    good for him
                                                                                                    I do not like Brian Kelly as a coach.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X