Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stars are good but only for so much

Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
    BK also mentioned that while they need to get good fits, and not be overly starry eyed, they can't let that overly limit who they go after, and still need to stride for a #1 ranked class (in the actual star ranking system).

I'm not overly starry eyed, but stars are a good indicator, and the overall correlation to Natties can't be ignored.

He also talked about the process of looking for gems, and development of guys like Claypool and others
    Of course you want to be the star czar of football recruiting but with an emphasis on getting the overlooked 3 stars that should be 4's and possibly 5's you can put together a very good team i.e what MSU was doing for several years, sprinkle in a decent amount of 4's and a couple 5's and you are better than those teams which puts you as a contender. Love how the O-line is going over the years, the O-line has hit elite status in my eyes but I would like to see the front 7 improve just a little and grab that elite D end and LB

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
      BK also mentioned that while they need to get good fits, and not be overly starry eyed, they can't let that overly limit who they go after, and still need to stride for a #1 ranked class (in the actual star ranking system).

I'm not overly starry eyed, but stars are a good indicator, and the overall correlation to Natties can't be ignored.

He also talked about the process of looking for gems, and development of guys like Claypool and others
      Pretty much this. No team has won a NC this millennium with the talent level (via recruiting rankings) ND has on its roster. If this ND team can beat Clemson, Ohio State, and Bama to win a title it would be unprecedented.
      "The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood." - Lou Holtz

Comment

• Originally posted by NDRock View Post
        Pretty much this. No team has won a NC this millennium with the talent level (via recruiting rankings) ND has on its roster. If this ND team can beat Clemson, Ohio State, and Bama to win a title it would be unprecedented.
        Yup, it would be. I still have the little PTSD voice from all the years post Lou that tells me we can't.

Originally posted by oddz313 View Post
        Of course you want to be the star czar of football recruiting but with an emphasis on getting the overlooked 3 stars that should be 4's and possibly 5's you can put together a very good team i.e what MSU was doing for several years, sprinkle in a decent amount of 4's and a couple 5's and you are better than those teams which puts you as a contender. Love how the O-line is going over the years, the O-line has hit elite status in my eyes but I would like to see the front 7 improve just a little and grab that elite D end and LB
        Agreed, but we also don't need to bash or diminish stars just because we can't get them. You should both recruit stars and dig for diamonds. I think we're doing that now, just more successful on one side than the other. Not sure that will be enough.
        The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
        Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

This is not true at all. Notre Dame currently has a blue-chip ratio of 56%

in 2013 Florida State won it all with a 53% blue-chip ratio.
          2016 Clemson had a 52% blue-chip ratio.

So while may ND be on the lower end, teams have won it all with less talent based on recruiting rankings. And it would not be unprecedented.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticl...1/#148079661_9

Comment

That's not true -- this ND team has more composite team talent (per 247) and a higher average composite rating than the 2016 Clemson team.

...and I just checked and their 2016 season included wins over the #1, #4, and #5 teams in terms of "total talent". IMO the rise of Clemson in the mid-2010s has little to do with juggernaut recruiting (though they are that now) and more to do with generational QB play and amazing development by their staff of 3-star and low 4-star players.
            Last edited by tussin; 12-17-2020, 05:49 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jason_h537 View Post

So while may ND be on the lower end, teams have won it all with less talent based on recruiting rankings. And it would not be unprecedented.

Basically, two types have teams have won. Those with super high end talent all over and those with a 5* Heisman type QB. Notre Dame has neither. Both teams you mentioned had the QB who were 1st round picks. I love Book but he ainít Vince Young, Cam, Winston, Watson, etc...
              "The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood." - Lou Holtz

Comment

I'd say it is blue-moonish at minimum.

Here's 2020

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/Py_K...8.14.43_AM.png

Last edited by Irish YJ; 12-17-2020, 06:07 PM.
                The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

I don't know if the data backs this, but it seems like our 4 star players aren't the same as Clemson and FSU's back in the day. I'd imagine we have a lot more .90's and they had a lot more .96's. Technically counts the same the way you're counting them, but those dudes different.
                  Last edited by IrishRazor82; 12-17-2020, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Basically, two types have teams have won. Those with super high end talent all over and those with a 5* Heisman type QB. Notre Dame has neither. Both teams you mentioned had the QB who were 1st round picks. I love Book but he ainít Vince Young, Cam, Winston, Watson, etc...
                    OK? You said no team has won with the talent ND has which is just false. Teams have won with less talent. Now if you want to move the goal post and say you need a Heisman level QB, well I am sure Oklahoma might feel a bit different.

But the reality is that ND has the talent and everyone who has seen them play agrees they are one of the 4 best teams in the country. If you want to say it is unlikely they win or that you don' t believe in the team, that is a valid feeling. But you said ND does not have the talent to win, which is false. And more importantly, all despite the hand wringing over three stars, ND's Blue-Chip ratio is actually going up.

Comment

OK? You said no team has won with the talent ND has which is just false. Teams have won with less talent. Now if you want to move the goal post and say you need a Heisman level QB, well I am sure Oklahoma might feel a bit different.

But the reality is that ND has the talent and everyone who has seen them play agrees they are one of the 4 best teams in the country. If you want to say it is unlikely they win or that you don' t believe in the team, that is a valid feeling. But you said ND does not have the talent to win, which is false. And more importantly, all despite the hand wringing over three stars, ND's Blue-Chip ratio is actually going up.
                      Not moving the goalposts at all, as this has been talked about often on this board often in regards to QB recruiting. Thatís our ďeasiestĒ path to a title. Recruit and develop like we do now and get that Heisman caliber QB. Honestly, has there been a title winning team with talent like ours who hasnít been led by a stud QB (1st round talent)? I canít remember one.

Notre Dame can win the whole thing this year, no doubt about it. My only point is that it hasnít happened with a team like ND before. Thereís always a first.

Comment

• So, who's next??

Comment

• Originally posted by texbender View Post
                          So, who's next??
                          I say Estime

Comment

• Real question is who is after him?
                            Prehistoric

Comment

• Mike singer said to look out for 4* Khari Gee. Possible flip from LSU

Comment

• Originally posted by NDGOLDEN View Post
                                Mike singer said to look out for 4* Khari Gee. Possible flip from LSU
                                Hmmm,m that would be huge.
                                Check out my blog building4thefuture.blogspot.com. Its all sports. Irish, NFL DRAFT PROSPECT PREVIEWS, Mets, Mavericks, and Islanders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• I pray he is good in coverage. He looks like an elite rover prospect, but an elite safety prospect is a much bigger need right now imo. Film showcases some incredibly athletic and aggressive plays near the box.

Comment

• Originally posted by NDGOLDEN View Post
                                    Mike singer said to look out for 4* Khari Gee. Possible flip from LSU

Is he really big time if he’s LSU table scraps??!

Comment

• ISD has a nice update after talking to a beat writer that covers LSU. The beat writer is adamant that he is not being "processed out" of the recruiting class. There was talk of him starting at linebacker and that was the start of him looking around.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish Man3 View Post
                                        ISD has a nice update after talking to a beat writer that covers LSU. The beat writer is adamant that he is not being "processed out" of the recruiting class. There was talk of him starting at linebacker and that was the start of him looking around.
                                        Lol and everyone here is taking LB.
                                        Prehistoric

Comment

• Originally posted by NDdomer2 View Post
                                          Lol and everyone here is taking LB.
                                          Rover in our system for the right player could project to strong safety in NFL at least. I know McShay was projecting JOK as a strong safety earlier in the season.

Comment

• I'm assuming we're still going to be pushing for Wright like crazy.

Does this mean we could possibly end up with 7 DBs? That's wild to think about lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish Man3 View Post
                                              ISD has a nice update after talking to a beat writer that covers LSU. The beat writer is adamant that he is not being "processed out" of the recruiting class. There was talk of him starting at linebacker and that was the start of him looking around.
                                              Wasn't that the difference between us and Clemson for Derrick Allen? We told him he'd play safety and Clemson said he was an LB?

Checked the GA Tech site. He's listed at 6'3" 217, which is approaching that Taylor Mays/Cam Chancellor DB unicorn size.

To get up to prototypical box linebacker size (6'3" 230) and stick at Safety, you gotta have some special athletic ability.
                                              Last edited by hungryhippo; 12-18-2020, 08:52 AM.
                                              My CFB Book: https://www.amazon.com/Southbound-Tr.../dp/0692932593

Comment

• Originally posted by FightingIrishLover7 View Post
                                                I'm assuming we're still going to be pushing for Wright like crazy.

Does this mean we could possibly end up with 7 DBs? That's wild to think about lol
                                                And Lorenzo Styles could probally be the best DB in our class if we considered him on defense . lol

Comment

• Happy Estiday! He signed.

Gee on deck, a '22 prospect in the hole with a '21 RB on the way to the park.

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishFanJMercy View Post
                                                    And Lorenzo Styles could probally be the best DB in our class if we considered him on defense . lol
                                                    He's such a game breaker on O tho
                                                    Prehistoric

Comment

• Updated OP for today's additions.

What a class. Great work by the staff in a crazy year.

Here's to hoping we keep Diggs in the fold and see what's available on the portal.
                                                      Prehistoric

Comment

• I think we currently have one of the biggest classes in the nation which I never thought I'd say about ND.
                                                        "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

• What impresses me about this class is we went into Georgia and took 4 guys out of that state. I'll take a 3-low 4 star out of Georgia over a 5 star cali kid any day of the week.

Comment

• Originally posted by BeauBenken View Post
                                                            I think we currently have one of the biggest classes in the nation which I never thought I'd say about ND.
                                                            haha i was just looking at the class rankings. i was really surprised to see we were only one towards the top with 25+ kids committed. I love it.
                                                            Prehistoric

Comment

• Seriously though, how many are we taking this class? I thought 22-23 was the absolute most. Yet here we are. I’m liking it, but what’s the number? Are we expecting a lot of attrition?

Comment

• Originally posted by WilliamWallace View Post
                                                                Seriously though, how many are we taking this class? I thought 22-23 was the absolute most. Yet here we are. Iím liking it, but whatís the number? Are we expecting a lot of attrition?
                                                                Nah man. In typical ND fashion weíre a little late to the party. Weíre in full blown over signing mode like itís 2010. I love it.

Comment

• So much gray shirting, SEC, SEC, SEC

Comment

• Originally posted by WilliamWallace View Post
                                                                    Seriously though, how many are we taking this class? I thought 22-23 was the absolute most. Yet here we are. Iím liking it, but whatís the number? Are we expecting a lot of attrition?
                                                                    Is this going to be the thinking going forward.
                                                                    Check out my blog building4thefuture.blogspot.com. Its all sports. Irish, NFL DRAFT PROSPECT PREVIEWS, Mets, Mavericks, and Islanders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Guys, there is no scholarship limit for two years. We won’t have to be below 85 until August of 2022. We’re not processing anyone. I would bet the staff would like to keep as many kids as they can for depth purposes.

Now, some will choose to leave if they get passed but I don’t see this as over signing in the sense that every spot means it’s coming from a guy currently on the roster.

Honestly, this is just super smart by the staff.

Comment

• Kelly said we would have a top 5 class... he just didn't mention that we would be taking the Persian army approach.

Speaking of which, here's an early preview of BK meeting with Helton midfield before the USC game next year:

Funnier than you in 2012.

Comment

• Solild class. I think what we really are missing is a top 150 DE and corner/safety. Gilliam and Ceyair Wright would have been perfect additions.

Comment

• Originally posted by NDPhilly View Post
                                                                            Solild class. I think what we really are missing is a top 150 DE and corner/safety. Gilliam and Ceyair Wright would have been perfect additions.
                                                                            Something that came up in a podcast this week is that the staff really thought that Abiara was a great prospect and that he was undervalued by everyone else. If he could have prevented himself from committing felony trespassing and just kept in contact with the staff...

Comment

Solild class. I think what we really are missing is a top 150 DE and corner/safety. Gilliam and Ceyair Wright would have been perfect additions.
                                                                              I strongly believe Riley is a top 100 player.

Comment

• Dear NDdomer,

I've decided to retain Whiskeyjack Esq. of Whiskey, Wooly & Koon and intend to proceed with a lawsuit for thread infringement (see attached below). Too avoid future litigation, I would settle now for 1 sextillion vbucks.

Thank you for your attention regarding this matter,

NDC

https://www.irishenvy.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=336224

Comment

• Ha. Ok man it's urs.

Mods please merge over to Crusader.
                                                                                  Prehistoric

Comment

• Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
                                                                                    Dear NDdomer,

I've decided to retain Whiskeyjack Esq. of Whiskey, Wooly & Koon and intend to proceed with a lawsuit for thread infringement (see attached below). Too avoid future litigation, I would settle now for 1 sextillion vbucks.

Thank you for your attention regarding this matter,

NDC

https://www.irishenvy.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=336224
                                                                                    Originally posted by NDdomer2 View Post
                                                                                    Ha. Ok man it's urs.

Efficient conflict resolution. Well done.

Comment

• Originally posted by NDdomer2 View Post
                                                                                      Ha. Ok man it's urs.

LOL. Mods do nothing.

I just thought I was losing my mind cuz I saw this yesterday and then I went to look for it and accidentally clicked on mine. I also realized I was active in this one. Ha!

All good!

But sorry I brought Whiskey into this. If he sinks his claws into you, break him off a Trillion and get a will for you kid's goldfish. Good luck.

Comment

• Originally posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
                                                                                        Efficient conflict resolution. Well done.
                                                                                        Do NOT merge. I was compensated with a large number using a lot of commas.

*Bill me quickly so I can clean my books up before Biden takes over.

Comment

• Originally posted by benneboy View Post
                                                                                          I strongly believe Riley is a top 100 player.
                                                                                          Yeah I like Riley and Barnes a lot. One is probably going to have to end up at safety because the depth there isnít great.

Comment

Yeah I like Riley and Barnes a lot. One is probably going to have to end up at safety because the depth there isnít great.
                                                                                            Agreed, I think one or both could but I also think theyíd make a killer SS/FS combo. They have very complimentary skill sets.

Comment

• Mentioned in the Winston thread but O’Leary tweeted “thinkBIGthursday” with the eyeballs. RTs from ND Football and Freeman. Smoke or something coming? Any guesses?

I’ll toss out Jyaire Brown to mix it up as a guess

EDIT: False alarm per Loy. Booo
                                                                                              Last edited by Dale; 03-04-2021, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                              Working...
                                                                                              X