National Recruiting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
    The anti-ND gang going nationwide. Awesome.
    I would think the core 6 camps in the south would have sec coaches instead of big 10 coaches, so maybe it won't be as much of an annoyance.

Funnier than you in 2012.

Comment

• Ohio State Friday Night Lights 2014 Preview

Michigan will have some commits ( Peppers, Drake Harris, Michael Ferns, Mason Cole, Bryan Mone, Ian Bunting and Wilton Speight) plus Fournette, McDowell, George Campbell & some other big guys there too

Still can't think of one good reason we don't do this
      “Class is what losers talk about when they have nothing left to say.”

Comment

• Eluemunor committed to Arkansas over OSU. Shurburtt actually has him as the 4th overall prospect for 2014 if you combine JUCO with the HS seniors. Only behind Robinson, Fournette, and D'haquille Williams (JUCO).

His tweet was retweeted over 350 times in one minute. Those Arky fans are nuts.
        Last edited by GoldenIsThyFame; 07-26-2013, 02:43 PM.

Comment

• Braxston Berrios was offered at FNL at OSU.

“@HNYNUT_BERRIOS: Walked and talked with Head Coach Urban Meyer the entire way down to the field today”

Word is he told him he sees him as a white Percy Harvin

Comment

• “@BretBielema: It's a Sunday night and excited about the week ahead. Was good week of recruiting especially against "THE" University's of the world. #WPS”

Not a huge fan of the guy but this is a masterful troll job

Comment

• Haha that is awesome but would have been better if the Buckeyes didn't get Demetrius Knox.

Comment

• “@JHopkins247:BREAKING: Oregon 4-star commit QUITS football @JcShurburtt @FBRumormill"

Wow. Who is it?

EDIT: it's a 4 star OLB from Hawaii Jordan Hoiem
                Last edited by STLDomer; 07-29-2013, 04:56 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by STLDomer View Post
                  “@JHopkins247:BREAKING: Oregon 4-star commit QUITS football @JcShurburtt @FBRumormill"

Wow. Who is it?

Jordan

Not sure if that's a 1st or last name, but I saw it in one of the comments - NO ACCESS

Comment

“@JHopkins247:BREAKING: Oregon 4-star commit QUITS football @JcShurburtt @FBRumormill"

Wow. Who is it?
                    Arrion Springs, Morgan Mahalak, or Jordan Hoiem.

My guess is Hoiem.

Comment

• Great minds...

Comment

• Originally posted by Rack Em View Post
                        Great minds...
                        I cheated :/

Comment

• Keith Holcombe another OLB committed to Bama today.

Comment

• Man that's crazy about Hoiem. I'm just now seeing that.

Comment

Wow. Who is it?

You don't have 24 7 anymore?

Comment

Wow. Who is it?

no more 24 7 for you?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cpnd1 View Post
                                  Keith Holcombe another OLB committed to Bama today.
                                  Looks like a DOG type. He committed to Miss State like 10 days ago....then Bama wanted him.

Comment

• Yeah he's from Tuscaloosa IIRC

Comment

Looks like a DOG type. He committed to Miss State like 10 days ago....then Bama wanted him.
                                      Appears he is coming in on the Bryant Scholarship which means he will probably never count against the 85 limit. Somehow that just seems to go against what that scholarship is about to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by T Town Tommy View Post
                                        Appears he is coming in on the Bryant Scholarship which means he will probably never count against the 85 limit. Somehow that just seems to go against what that scholarship is about to me.
                                        What is the Bryant scholarship?

Comment

• Originally posted by LoveThee View Post
                                          Bryant as in Bear Bryant where you tuck extra football players on the basketball team. Good ole Bama trick. Auck Flabama.

Comment

• Originally posted by LoveThee View Post
                                            Not an expert on the exact requirements but I believe it is a legacy scholarship used for family members who played under Bryant. There are some rules and/or guidelines on when or how it counts towards the 85 but I don't know the specifics.

Comment

I'm almost positive he would count against the 85. Also, I read something briefly on this scholarship and apparently Alabama used it to massage scholarship numbers until the NCAA changed a rule to stop it from happening.

Comment

• Originally posted by NDWorld247 View Post
                                                I'm almost positive he would count against the 85. Also, I read something briefly on this scholarship and apparently Alabama used it to massage scholarship numbers until the NCAA changed a rule to stop it from happening.
                                                Thanks for the info. It should count against the 85 number IMO... legacy or not.

Comment

• This will absoltuley count against the 85. The same way a kid who comes to ND on a basketball or lacrosse schollie who decides to play football would count against the 85 for football. This was covered ad nauseum when we were trying to figure out ways to sneak Arik Armstead in under a basketball schollie lol.

Comment

• Here is what I found out on the Bryant Scholarship. Holcombe's dad played on the offensive line for Bear in the early 80's.

With a month to go before National Signing Day, many recruiting fans are anxious to learn more about various different aspects of recruiting and athletic scholarships. One issue that often leads to plenty of confusion for Crimson Tide fans is the Bryant Scholarship, a special scholarship available to the children of those who played or coached for legendary Tide head coach Paul "Bear" Bryant.

But how does the scholarship work and how does it affect the scholarship numbers on the football team if a player attends UA on the Bryant Scholarship?

According to the UA Athletic Department, the Bryant Scholarship is not considered a sports scholarship since the criteria of the scholarship are not based on athletics. It is awarded to any student (athlete or non-athlete, male or female) whose father played or coached for Coach Bryant.

Under NCAA regulations, the Bryant Scholarship technically qualifies as Institutional Financial Aid under NCAA Bylaw 15.02.1, which defines "financial aid that is administered by an institution, if the institution, through its regular committee or other agency for the awarding of financial aid to students generally, makes the final determination of the student-athlete who is to receive the award and of its value."

For those who don't speak NCAA, that means that since the Bryant Scholarship can only be used by students to pay for their education at Alabama and no other school, it's considered institutional aid.

If a football player has already received a full athletic scholarship, he cannot accept the Bryant Scholarship since it would put him over the financial aid limit for an individual student.

The biggest question many fans have regarding the Bryant Scholarship is whether or not a player attending UA on the Bryant Scholarship counts against Alabama's scholarship limitations. The answer comes down to one factor: was the player recruited by Alabama's coaches?

According to UA, if the player in question is a walk-on football player who was not recruited by UA's coaches, that player will never count against Alabama's scholarship numbers, even if he plays in every game for all four years.

If the player was a recruited walk-on, a student-athlete who was recruited by Alabama's coaches and who receives the Bryant Scholarship, that player does not count against Alabama's scholarship numbers until he sees playing time.

The NCAA makes the determination of whether or not a player should be considered "recruited", and each individual player is judged on a case-by-case basis.

Comment

• So if he never plays it never counts against the 85? Sorry T Town Tommy but that's bullshit IMO. It's like having a Super Preferred Walk On.

Also a general question about your defense, do u guys have a Coverage OLB a la the DOG at Notre Dame? If so who plays it or has in the past?
                                                      Last edited by STLDomer; 07-30-2013, 09:56 PM.

Comment

• This Bryant Scholarship thing is a ridiculous loophole that exists at a lot of other places for a lot of other sports. It's not unique to Bama at all so I won't hold it against them.

For example, at Syracuse there is some sort of arrangement with Native American tribes that allows Native Americans to attend the school on full scholarship. This has no impact on the big $$ sports because you don't see Native Americans tearing up basketball or football. But for lacrosse... Syracuse can effectively circumvent VERY stringent NCAA scholarship limits (about a dozen rides for a team of 50 players). It's insane advantage.

I've always advocated Notre Dame doing some sort of scholarship like this in other posts. Things like scholarships for all legacies allowing us to take "borderline" guys on scholarship and have them be non-counters until they get to the point of possibly contributing. Heck, at a small school like ND you could even just go crazy and give free tuition to all African Americans who are admitted. That would be game over. It would also be ridiculously awesome PR for the school.

Alas... I am not on a Board of Trustees career arc.

Comment

So if he never plays it never counts against the 85? Sorry T Town Tommy but that's bullshit IMO. It's like having a Super Preferred Walk On.

Also a general question about your defense, do u guys have a Coverage OLB a la the DOG at Notre Dame? If so who plays it or has in the past?
                                                          I don't believe Bama has stated that he is going to fall under the Bryant Scholly yet. The scholly in and of itself is a good thing for students but does get muddied when it comes to athletes. Over 700 people have received the scholly so I can't say it isn't a good thing. But yeah... to try this with a 3-4 star legacy football player isn't right IMO.

As far as OLBs'... last year we really didn't have a DOG type LB. In the past, Hightower, Upshaw, and McClain would probably be the closest comparions to the ND DOG position.

Comment

• Really? I would have seen them more as CATs

Comment

So if he never plays it never counts against the 85? Sorry T Town Tommy but that's bullshit IMO. It's like having a Super Preferred Walk On.

I wanna say that is the rule, actually. See NOLAIrish's excellent posts on this in the Marquis Dickerson thread.

http://www.irishenvy.com/forums/2013...ml#post1041156

Comment

• Originally posted by NDPhilly View Post
                                                                Really? I would have seen them more as CATs
                                                                Yeah sometimes it is hard to tell with their defense who is who and where they are exactly playing. Outside of Mosley and the D line it seemed everyone was moving constantly before the ball was snapped. Maybe it was to try and mask the fact that they didn't really have a cover LB last season.

Comment

• To make this loophole work, a staff would have to have a secret backdoor to an outstanding prospect, so as to:

a]. get assurances that the prospect would decommit from somebody else and come to "Alabama", once officially requested; and
                                                                  b]. then deliberately NOT show any outwards signs of recruiting him --- much to the "puzzlement" of people following recruiting [though other staffs might be more "hip" to this ploy.

A fully-invested-in-Alabama high school counsellor could be a prime mover in such a scam, as well as a high school coach. The counsellor could "honestly" [just doing my job] suggest that the player apply for the Bryant Scholarship, and, oh--surprise, it's a sure thing.

The player then commits elsewhere [insurance policy plus great fog for the Alabama no-recruitment scam,] and the NCAA watches the crap proceed with no recourse. Hey! it's just business!

Comment

• I have no words.....

Comment

• Grown men should never draw other grown men. Stick figures or not.

Comment

• Thought this was a pretty cool recruiting pitch for those wanting to get to the NFL

Alabama coach tweeted it.

I DON'T POST A LOT AROUND HERE...BUT WHEN I DO, IT'S USUALLY NON-VALUE ADDED.

Comment

• [QUOTE=STLDomer;1082475]I have no words.....

They should not be using big words like that on a kid from Hoover, Al. Pictures... yes. Big words... no.

Comment

• Stanford lands three defensive commits: Bobby Okereke, Kirk Tucker, & Joey Alfieri

Alfieri & Okereke is a real nice ILB class.

Comment

All composite mid/low 3 players that will surely end up being dominant CFB players because that is how things go at the Farm.

Comment

• Highly ranked LB that had an ND offer per 247:

“@TaylorHamm247: GigEm247 confirmed with LaPorte coaches at the Houston TD club tonight that #Aggie commit Hoza Scott is no longer on the team.”

- " @jordanziemer: I assume you mean no longer on the LaPorte team? Still an Aggie commit though, yes?”

----- “@TaylorHamm247: They may part ways"

“@TaylorHamm247: More news on Hoza Scott emerging. He's going to be suspended for the first 3 games of year. Not with the team right now. Sorry for confusion”

“@TaylorHamm247: It's a fluid situation with Scott. He can still get back on the team but will have to get back in the good graces of the La Porte staff.”

Comment

• Originally posted by beryirish View Post
                                                                                  Thought this was a pretty cool recruiting pitch for those wanting to get to the NFL

Alabama coach tweeted it.

Those players got paid more when they played for the Tide.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoIrish41 View Post
                                                                                    Those players got paid more when they played for the Tide.
                                                                                    From this and other things Ive seen, I have to believe Saban has a marketing team working for him to put some of these recruiting pitches together.

Comment

• Not really any good place to put this but I thought it as interesting, true freshmam Jared Goff was named the starter for Cal over Kline. If u remember he started last year at the high school that Morgan Mahalak plays for which us why there were questions about Mahalak as a prospect because he had never been the starter

Comment

• <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Five-star ATH Curtis Samuel commits to <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=&#37;23OhioState&amp;src=hash">#OhioState </a>: <a href="http://t.co/3oM9ra0l5D">http://t.co/3oM9ra0l5D</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Buckeyes&amp;src=hash">#Buckeyes</a></p>&mdash; Steve Wiltfong (@SWiltfong247) <a href="https://twitter.com/SWiltfong247/statuses/368428134963478528">August 16, 2013</a></blockquote>
                                                                                        <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Comment

• Samuel's commitment moved OSU from #6 to #2 in the 247 composite rankings. I really dislike Urban Meyer.

Comment

• “@bartonsimmons: Big news from Nation's No 1 prospect. “@crobinson_68: I'll be announcing what college I'll attend this Friday Aug 30th.””

Also looks like Maryland lands Tabor and Prince

Comment

• I really hope Robinson picks LSU but, unfortunately, it will likely be Alabama.

Comment

• Cam Robinson, the nation's #1 overall prospect according to 247 sports, is announcing today between 1-1:30pm ET on ESPNU. It's down to LSU or Alabama. Any predicitions? T-Town, what's your take?

Comment

Cam Robinson, the nation's #1 overall prospect according to 247 sports, is announcing today between 1-1:30pm ET on ESPNU. It's down to LSU or Alabama. Any predicitions? T-Town, what's your take?
                                                                                                  CRob to Bama... and the swamp kitties have a meltdown.

Seriously, with the word that C Rob's family asked LSU not to contact them anymore, it seems he will go to Bama. Many thought the Sims commitment a few weeks ago sealed the deal as they are apparently best friends. However, you just never know these days. He will be tremendous... no matter where he goes.

Comment

CRob to Bama... and the swamp kitties have a meltdown.

Seriously, with the word that C Rob's family asked LSU not to contact them anymore, it seems he will go to Bama. Many thought the Sims commitment a few weeks ago sealed the deal as they are apparently best friends. However, you just never know these days. He will be tremendous... no matter where he goes.
                                                                                                    I just noticed the last 19 crystal ball predictions were for Bama. This is getting ridiculous.

Comment

I just noticed the last 19 crystal ball predictions were for Bama. This is getting ridiculous.
                                                                                                      I think that stems from the fact that the family supposedly asked LSU to stop calling. I try not to take the crystal ball predictions too seriously... the so called experts are no better than most people here on IE. You guys know more than most of them.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X