• Show
Clear All

• What did Davonte do?

Comment

• What did Davonte do?

Comment

• Originally posted by dublinirish View Post

basically you pay money to play video games against athletes
        Yeah it's basically Cameo, but with the video game aspect built into it. So instead of just paying for a message or whatever, you can pay to play them in a game of FIFA or Madden.

Comment

• Yoke is actually a pretty awesome idea. I will definitely see if any of them wanna get waxed in FIFA at some point.

Comment

• Originally posted by notredomer23 View Post
            Yoke is actually a pretty awesome idea. I will definitely see if any of them wanna get waxed in FIFA at some point.
            its expensive though IMO
            What did Davonte do?

Comment

• Okay but like...something akin to Twitch is the way to go. You can literally build that brand and donate straight to the streamer. That's direct cash infusion baby! Which actually probably makes it a no no from the NCAA

Comment

• Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post
                Okay but like...something akin to Twitch is the way to go. You can literally build that brand and donate straight to the streamer. That's direct cash infusion baby! Which actually probably makes it a no no from the NCAA
                Right, like I don't think you can just Venmo people? Or unsigned recruits?

Comment

• From an article on espn.com

Will schools be allowed to pay athletes directly?

No. Most new state laws and the NCAA rules explicitly prohibit schools from paying athletes directly for the use of their NIL or for any other purposes.

Can athletes enter into NIL agreements with boosters?

The NCAA does not have any rules that restrict boosters from paying athletes as long as those payments are not directly for their athletic performance or an inducement for recruiting purposes. Some new state laws address booster involvement in different ways, and some might need further interpretation before it's clear how involved boosters can be in paying athletes in those states.

Are schools allowed to arrange NIL opportunities for student-athletes?

Some state laws restrict schools from arranging deals for their athletes. The NCAA rules leave that decision up to individual schools, but it warns that schools need to be careful that they don't cross any lines into an area that could be considered paying the players or using NIL payments as a recruiting tool.

Are there other restrictions on how athletes can make money?

Yes. State laws and policies crafted by individual schools create an inconsistent variety of restrictions for athletes depending on where they attend school. In some places, athletes can't endorse alcohol, tobacco or gambling products. Others have some restrictions on whether athletes are allowed to use school logos and other copyright material in any paid opportunities.

Most states and schools also prohibit athletes from signing any deals that conflict with the school's sponsorship agreements. For example, a basketball player on a team sponsored by Nike would not be allowed to wear Adidas shoes during games. However, in most cases, that athlete could promote a non-Nike shoe company during times when not playing games or participating in other team activities.

Will an individual be required to report name, image and likeness activities to their school?

Most state laws provide a time frame in which athletes need to share the details of any potential NIL deals with the school. In some states, the school needs to approve of deals ahead of time. The NCAA rules don't specifically require that athletes report their deals to schools, but it's likely that most schools will create policies that require some form of disclosure.

Comment

• That's true, but seems like it'd be kinda tough to prove that all these $5 bits, or gifted subs, or even $10 straight donations are anything other than a streamer's following/community rather than a bag man doing all the extra effort to mask it.

Comment

• That clarification on booster money to the kid was awful. Like how is that even gonna be regulated.
                      "From Chaos comes Clarity"

Comment

• lmao it's the Wild West out here and I'm loving it.

Comment

• What did Davonte do?

Comment

• I know ND obviously has the intellectual capital to excel at this. The fact that Assaf/Weishar & Wimbush are leaders in the field is a plus too

BUT

Kids who want to capitalize on this (everybody) are going to get their info from the 247's of the world and this is what they are saying:

Comment

• Poor Parker Boudreaux. If this stuff hits a year or two earlier, he's maybe the highest paid player in college.

Comment

• I know ND obviously has the intellectual capital to excel at this. The fact that Assaf/Weishar & Wimbush are leaders in the field is a plus too

BUT

Kids who want to capitalize on this (everybody) are going to get their info from the 247's of the world and this is what they are saying:

If you're curious about Crawford's qualifications to publish such a definitive "study".

Comment

• Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post
                                  That clarification on booster money to the kid was awful. Like how is that even gonna be regulated.
                                  Right. I don't really know how the NCAA could possibly police all transactions. I mean, how many transactions will there be per team? Hundreds, maybe thousands?

Comment

• Originally posted by Whiskeyjack View Post

If you're curious about Crawford's qualifications to publish such a definitive "study".
                                    The ability to look up and count Twitter/IG followers.

But kids don't care, it's coming from 247, their personal PR firm so why would they question the it? That is until a trusted news professional like Jemele Hill tells them different.

Comment

• What happens when a HS football player is making more than his coach lol.

Comment

What happens when a HS football player is making more than his coach lol.
                                        "You make HOW much Trevor??" - Dabo crying

Comment

• No I mean his Hs coach lmao

Comment

• Originally posted by BobbyMac View Post
                                            I know ND obviously has the intellectual capital to excel at this. The fact that Assaf/Weishar & Wimbush are leaders in the field is a plus too

BUT

Cade McNamara lol
                                            What did Davonte do?

Comment

• Are you dissing the kid who led scUM over the vaunted Scarlet Knights??

Sent from my SM-J337U using Tapatalk

Comment

• Mick & Nic are slick.

Comment

• Originally posted by dublinirish View Post

Cade McNamara lol
                                                  Yeah, that's based on MI program potential but he has 25k Twitter/IG follers. Rattler is approaching 500k.

Comment

• Mark Emmert, far more dangerous because he is weak and incompetent rather than a crook, and the NCAA could not regulate a disciplined toilet pass program, let alone NIL

Pandora's box is open, the toothpaste is out of the tube, and HumptyDumpty, who slipped on Pandora's toothpaste. .will not be able to be reassembled.

Ah, the childhood joy of college sports. Well, it was nice while it lasted........

we're five days in, over a long holiday weekend (technically today is still a federal holiday)

You ain't seen nuthin' yet, and may the devil take the hindmost.............

Comment

• https://247sports.com/Article/master...ice-167685729/

Master Teague on Cameo for $100 a pop.

Some of the things he will do once the funds clear:

1. "I can give you guys some encouragement"

2. "bless you with a word from the heart"

3. "I can mourn with you"

4. "I can pray with you"

I had all kinds of jokes but the mourn with you line cringed me out, rendering me comedically impotent.

Comment

• There's one other dynamic that has yet to unfold.

This may lead to a HUGE reduction in the power of agents. They are the ultimate maggots, the parasites, and it is a shame that so few former players become agents.

But these kids now, for four or five years, will have, potentially, become professionalized in the value of their name image and likeness, and have been in touch with may tendrils of the promotion economy.

People who have been paying them for four years will have a lot of influence on who and how players select and pay agents.

The Drew Rosenhauses and Scott Borases are just pimps.

Comment

• OK, so what's our plan?

Comment

OK, so what's our plan?

Sounds like a go fund me is in order. Great opportunity.

Comment

• Hope everyone remembers to set aside money for taxes.
                                                              I'm too drunk to taste this chicken.

Comment

• Originally posted by NDBoiler View Post
                                                                Hope everyone remembers to set aside money for taxes.
                                                                Tax deductible through Catholic Charities.
                                                                Whiskeyjack how do we structure this?

Comment

Tax deductible through Catholic Charities.
                                                                  Whiskeyjack how do we structure this?
                                                                  Memes aside, I can't imagine this being profitable even for a service looking to attract subscribers; let alone a free message board funded by Google AdSense.

I assume this aTm site is owned by a couple wealthy boosters who intended to get in on the NIL action anyway, and decided to do in a way that would offer some marginal benefit to their site.

Comment

OK, so what's our plan?

I saw this on Friday and my first thought was let the "legal" corruption begin. It will be interesting to see if this ramps up quickly and then finds a level or the spending just keeps going up.

Comment

• Really interested in the tax implications and such that will arise out of the NIL going forward.

Comment

• Originally posted by GowerND11 View Post
                                                                        Really interested in the tax implications and such that will arise out of the NIL going forward.
                                                                        To declare or not declare.... that is the question.

Comment

• Originally posted by GowerND11 View Post
                                                                          Really interested in the tax implications and such that will arise out of the NIL going forward.
                                                                          Think it would make sense for the university to setup a tax clinic in house to help with all of this. Probably don't need more than 2/3 CPA's with a small group of tax admins to handle this.

Imagine the publicity if a university has a bunch of guys with huge compliance issues lmao.

Comment

• Originally posted by TorontoGold View Post

Think it would make sense for the university to setup a tax clinic in house to help with all of this. Probably don't need more than 2/3 CPA's with a small group of tax admins to handle this.

Imagine the publicity if a university has a bunch of guys with huge compliance issues lmao.
                                                                            I imagine it being like servers in a restaruant who dont declare their cash tips but have to declare any tips left on credit card. "Yea sure...sir... I was ONLY paid this amount for this interview and this amount for a summer camp I spoke at."

Comment

I imagine it being like servers in a restaruant who dont declare their cash tips but have to declare any tips left on credit card. "Yea sure...sir... I was ONLY paid this amount for this interview and this amount for a summer camp I spoke at."

lmao you're bang on. Our firm has essentially rejected any food industry client because of this, and any restaurant owner as COGS always seem to be a nice round number....go figure!

I imagine a lot of universities have a financial literacy group that helps athletes with this, and having a cutting edge group would probably be a huge selling point for theentrepreneurial inclined.

Comment

lmao you're bang on. Our firm has essentially rejected any food industry client because of this, and any restaurant owner as COGS always seem to be a nice round number....go figure!

I imagine a lot of universities have a financial literacy group that helps athletes with this, and having a cutting edge group would probably be a huge selling point for theentrepreneurial inclined.
                                                                                I worked in kitchens in food and bev from my sophmore year in high school all the way through college and the common practice was for servers who got paid $2.15/hour to declare 100% of all credit card tips and then roughly 10% of that value to be reported as cash tips each night. Of course I always tip cash if possible to this day. No way to track that for your day to day server really.

Comment

• So how long before top recruits start getting signing packages and stuff?

-You come here and we gaurantee x amount of dollars/stuff?

Comment

We had an attorney who was in Miami's compliance office in the early 2000's come talk to us. Said it was a "fast-paced job" and "every day was something new" LMAO
                                                                                    Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

So how long before top recruits start getting signing packages and stuff?

Some of my fellow NDSU alums have been discussing this. I figure it won't be an issue at that level of football but high-end P5 schools....I can definitely see some of this nonsense starting up.
                                                                                      Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

Come January just like Wal Marts you'll see these littles booths popup in the student lounge then disappear on April 16th.

Last edited by Irish#1; 07-19-2021, 03:05 PM.

Comment

• Just like Al Capone - Bama will be taken down by the IRS.

Comment

So how long before top recruits start getting signing packages and stuff?

And that, IMHO, is the big problem with all this. There will be businesses who are nothing more than fronts for boosters, who'll guarantee money to every kid who signs with U of X, and others who'll put together very lucrative packages for 5- star recruits. It will basically become a bidding war for all talented players... and it will be legal.
                                                                                            Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

Comment

• "From Chaos comes Clarity"

Comment

• Originally posted by Bishop2b5 View Post

And that, IMHO, is the big problem with all this. There will be businesses who are nothing more than fronts for boosters, who'll guarantee money to every kid who signs with Bama, and others who'll put together very lucrative packages for 5- star recruits. It will basically become a bidding war for all talented players... and it will be legal.
                                                                                                Looking at what Cack posted, I fixed your post for you.

Comment

And we are barely a fortnight and a half into this......

I'm thinking of a hyphenated word beginning with cluster....

And there is a Waldo in here. If this continues, players in year three and above will have to think about STAYING in school, as they can not risk the diminution in revenue if they go to the NFL and are drafted late or not at all.

For those who like gaping at car wrecks, this may be all-consuming.

Comment

• Mods, take a big freakin' bow!!

It is more than cool, north of fandom that when I just went back on the site there was the RHOBACK AD!!

GOOD ON YA!.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post

Looking at what Cack posted, I fixed your post for you.
                                                                                                      Young had already signed with Bama long before the NIL thing became reality. I think a kid who's never even started a game getting almost a million in endorsements is ridiculous, and he won't be the only one. I'm betting we see at least a dozen high profile players from across the country top a million in endorsements before the season even starts. However, I'm more concerned with boosters putting together such packages for no other reason than to get a kid to sign with their school instead of another. It essentially makes buying recruits fully legal.
                                                                                                      Winners see success and want to climb up to its level. Losers see success and want to drag it down to their own.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X