Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'22 OH QB Drew Allar (Penn State Verbal)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AKRowdy
    replied
    If you want to see in-person comparisons, Angelis and his crew will be coming to Akron Archbishop Hoban this year for a game. Believe this is the closest to South Bend he’ll have a game this year. Then stay around and watch Allar play.

Leave a comment:

• Luckylucci
    replied
    Watching these two guys in similar settings, they’re not even in the same league. Brutal.

Leave a comment:

• NDCrusader
    replied
    This will not end well.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Originally posted by T-Boone View Post

Both have full games on youtube. Search their schools football.
    Interesting.

Watching a full game, every down, is actually watching "tape" versus watching HUDL highlights. HUDL highlights are not tape. No highlights are tape.

Leave a comment:

• T-Boone
    replied
    Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post

Hey, just curious, but where did you find tape of these guys? Like actual games from start to finish are available?
    Both have full games on youtube. Search their schools football.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Originally posted by rtrn2glory View Post

Agreed.... I'll sign off by leaving it with I liked Allars tape better then Angelis. Just one person's opinion... Obviously it's worth little to nothing but just my thoughts
    Hey, just curious, but where did you find tape of these guys? Like actual games from start to finish are available?

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Originally posted by Polish Leppy 22 View Post

From an offensive standpoint alone, I'm looking at ND the way people look at Wisconsin or Utah until shown otherwise.
    Agreed. ND plays a certain way. Physical running game, big tall WR, TE. If you look at the 2019 pre Covid version of Penn State and can't understand why QB recruit would want to play in that offense, maybe look again?

I also think not enough is being made of some of the hires Franklin has made over the years in terms of his assistants. He's had some guys come and go but seems to do a good job of filling those voids as they open. Especially on offense. I don't think much of him as a coach or person, but he can recruit and hire assistants to delegate the football strategy to. That much I'll give him.

Leave a comment:

• NDdomer2
    replied
    To me the wildest part of 2022 qb recruiting is we had no reason not to have a wider/more identified mutual intetest board with how long Buchner was committed.

Leave a comment:

• rtrn2glory
    replied
    Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
    It's beating a dead horse at this point so I'll sign off on it for now.
    Agreed.... I'll sign off by leaving it with I liked Allars tape better then Angelis. Just one person's opinion... Obviously it's worth little to nothing but just my thoughts

Leave a comment:

• Polish Leppy 22
    replied
    And I think this might make it sting a little more than usual. PSU over ND? Tommy’s handling of the situation doesn’t help but who in there right minds want to be QB1 at Pedo State over ND.
    From an offensive standpoint alone, I'm looking at ND the way people look at Wisconsin or Utah until shown otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• Luckylucci
    replied
    It's beating a dead horse at this point so I'll sign off on it for now.

Leave a comment:

• Luckylucci
    replied
    Originally posted by NDVirginia19 View Post

To be quite frank, I don't think this really matters. I don't think any recruit is saying to themselves "Damn I really like Notre Dame for XYZ but... They didn't get Allar so I don't know about them." I mean IF the staff really wanted Allar they would have pushed for him harder sooner than they did. There's no tangible evidence that Allar ever would have come to ND if we had went after him harder sooner
    Well, if it was only Allar then maybe that would be the case but it's not. We're just in Allar's thread talking about because it's a useless thread at this point, lol.

No, otherwise the Ty Simpson recruitment wouldn't have happened either. There is a zero percent chance they had Ty Simpson below Angelli but spent two weeks putting the full court press on him while Angelli just sat there. That is unless they like to completely waste their own time in the middle of crootin season.

You mean like making an unofficial visit to campus in 2019. Did he take one of those to PSU back then? And it's not really just about Allar's recruitment. National Perspective.

Leave a comment:

• NDVirginia19
    replied

No, that's precisely what I meant. The national view of this is not very good.

Rivals.com - Grading the recent Power Five QB commitments
    To be quite frank, I don't think this really matters. I don't think any recruit is saying to themselves "Damn I really like Notre Dame for XYZ but... They didn't get Allar so I don't know about them." I mean IF the staff really wanted Allar they would have pushed for him harder sooner than they did. There's no tangible evidence that Allar ever would have come to ND if we had went after him harder sooner

Leave a comment:

• Luckylucci
    replied
    Originally posted by Dale View Post

I may have been viewing the word optics differently than you. I was thinking optics as like national view, 100 foot view. I think everything you posted above is true, that’s the nitty gritty though to me not just optics which I was viewing as a much more general thing
    No, that's precisely what I meant. The national view of this is not very good.

Rivals.com - Grading the recent Power Five QB commitments

Leave a comment:

• Cackalacky2.0
    replied
    If I’m understanding correctly we wanted Ty but had no real shot then Allar decided to go with PsU so ND was left having to take Angeli’s commitment?

Leave a comment:

• Dale
    replied

Loy doesn't have much to do with it. The optics are getting fueled by ND offering two top 100 QB prospects late and because of that, never being seriously considered. If Angelli was the guy then they never would've offered the others and attempted to push as hard as they did. When they realized he wasn't the guy, they weren't strong enough to overtake the other programs recruiting them. And, then they doubled back to Angelli once they looked beaten and took his commitment right away. In fact, they put Angelli into the commitment circle in front of Allar once Allar shutdown Rees's attempts to get BK involved. It looks weak.

And FWIW, Allar had been on ND's radar for over a year as he was an unofficial visitor during the 2019 season. And if Ty Simpson wasn't on their radar for months then someone needs to get them a new radar. They basically neglected the QB board for several months until it was too late.
    I may have been viewing the word optics differently than you. I was thinking optics as like national view, 100 foot view. I think everything you posted above is true, that’s the nitty gritty though to me not just optics which I was viewing as a much more general thing

Leave a comment:

• Luckylucci
    replied

Our view on the optics are getting fueled by Loy (like him but he was way off) and possible other pay sites hyping up Allar & ND. In the end he was just a guy that never truly considered us. Ty did go to Bama yes but Tennessee, Ole Miss other schools he considered over us. Neither are good don’t get me wrong. But I just don’t view Allar as any bigger strikeout than normal IMO
    Loy doesn't have much to do with it. The optics are getting fueled by ND offering two top 100 QB prospects late and because of that, never being seriously considered. If Angelli was the guy then they never would've offered the others and attempted to push as hard as they did. When they realized he wasn't the guy, they weren't strong enough to overtake the other programs recruiting them. And, then they doubled back to Angelli once they looked beaten and took his commitment right away. In fact, they put Angelli into the commitment circle in front of Allar once Allar shutdown Rees's attempts to get BK involved. It looks weak.

And FWIW, Allar had been on ND's radar for over a year as he was an unofficial visitor during the 2019 season. And if Ty Simpson wasn't on their radar for months then someone needs to get them a new radar. They basically neglected the QB board for several months until it was too late.

Leave a comment:

• Cackalacky2.0
    replied

A top QB picking Bama over ND versus a top QB PSU over ND is much much different. The recruiting optics on this are not good. Whether it matters on the field is less the point than the optics that ND is settling for a guy that they clearly tried to move on from but just did so in epic failure fashion.

Do those optics really matter will be the question. Will it affect our other top RB, WR, and OL targets? We'll have to see on that as well.
    Im ignorant of the minutae but are we sure we are settling for Angelli? Seems to me the offer the Allar was halfhearted and very late.

Leave a comment:

• Dale
    replied

A top QB picking Bama over ND versus a top QB PSU over ND is much much different. The recruiting optics on this are not good. Whether it matters on the field is less the point than the optics that ND is settling for a guy that they clearly tried to move on from but just did so in epic failure fashion.

Do those optics really matter will be the question. Will it affect our other top RB, WR, and OL targets? We'll have to see on that as well.
    Our view on the optics are getting fueled by Loy (like him but he was way off) and possible other pay sites hyping up Allar & ND. In the end he was just a guy that never truly considered us. Ty did go to Bama yes but Tennessee, Ole Miss other schools he considered over us. Neither are good don’t get me wrong. But I just don’t view Allar as any bigger strikeout than normal IMO

Leave a comment:

• irishtrooper
    replied
    I don’t like losing (if true) a QB recruit to PSU ever.... This isn’t supposed to happen unless perhaps he’s from heavy PSU country or something. I haven’t followed this close enough to know, but it seems like we wanted him and only took Angeli after he indicated he was going there. Their program isn’t in a great place and their on-field results haven’t been great. Seems like we shouldn’t lose QB recruits to this program. And yes I do know their recruiting is improving, blah, blah, blah - but Penn St ain’t ND

Leave a comment:

• Luckylucci
    replied
    I don’t see how this is any hiccup bigger than Ty Simpson. Allar never publicly said anything that would indicate we were this prime contender

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    I don’t see how this is any hiccup bigger than Ty Simpson. Allar never publicly said anything that would indicate we were this prime contender
    Originally posted by irishandy View Post
    I don't see this being a hiccup at the moment. Allar recently became a name, happens every class. Given who ND currently has and getting Angeli they will be fine at QB.

Didn't you know we're supposed to land every QB?

Leave a comment:

• irishandy
    replied
    I don't see this being a hiccup at the moment. Allar recently became a name, happens every class. Given who ND currently has and getting Angeli they will be fine at QB.

Leave a comment:

• Dale
    replied

Leave a comment:

• rtrn2glory
    replied
    And I think this might make it sting a little more than usual. PSU over ND? Tommy’s handling of the situation doesn’t help but who in there right minds want to be QB1 at Pedo State over ND.
    Yea, until I'm proven wrong, this is going to go down as a recruiting hiccup that was not handled well.

Leave a comment:

• Luckylucci
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied
    Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post

'24's your first chance. I'm not sure Bama wins a NC having to play:

Ohio St

Clemson

SC

Bama / Clemson / Ohio St / Georgia / Oklahoma / SC / Texas

I won't be thinking about Book or Jurkovec.

Leave a comment:

• NDdomer2
    replied
    Originally posted by BeauBenken View Post
    BTW, I know we haven't had the best success at producing NFL QBs in recent years, but literally who can PSU hang their hats on? Isn't Kerry Collins probably their most successful NFL QB ever? That's very just...bleh.
    The last few cycles havent really landed them anything spectacular at the position but they have a hell of a haul this year with Allar and Pribula. (they have a nice class going so far in general)

Leave a comment:

• BeauBenken
    replied
    BTW, I know we haven't had the best success at producing NFL QBs in recent years, but literally who can PSU hang their hats on? Isn't Kerry Collins probably their most successful NFL QB ever? That's very just...bleh.

Leave a comment:

• IrishLion
    replied
    Penn State is gross.

Leave a comment:

• clashmore_mike
    replied
    Committed to Penn State

Leave a comment:

• NDCrusader
    replied
    Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post

My preference is that ND win a National Championship by then, and in that instance, I won't give a shit and I doubt anyone else will either.
    '24's your first chance. I'm not sure Bama wins a NC having to play:

Ohio St

Clemson

SC

Leave a comment:

• NDCrusader
    replied

Yes.

Does it matter though? A 2023 state in relation to a 2019/2020 QB battle?
    I won't argue Book won the QB battle when Phil was here. So I agree with the "was".

The "is" will be determined.

I could see Phil on a couple of 9-4/10-3 teams throwing for 3500-ish yds and being a high draft pick.

If I had to put money on it, I'd say it's most likely the majority of ND fans will look back and say Phil was the better prospect and turned out to be the better QB. He & ND Football were simply a victim of timing and the relationship he had with some of the staff.

Does it matter? I hope not. Hopefully Coan does balls out this year and ND sneaks into the playoffs with its favorable schedule.

In '22, hopefully Buchner's good enough to beat Ohio St, Clemson and a loaded (if not well coached) SC.

So it may not ever matter one way or the other but I'm sure it'll be debated plenty over the next 5 years.

Leave a comment:

• NDCrusader
    replied
    Originally posted by NDdomer2 View Post

this, im assuming, is you projecting PJ to ball out the next two years?
    I'm not projecting him to ball out necessarily. I do think he'll get better than 2020 which was his first year in a new scheme and his first time being QB1 in 2.5 yrs.

Leave a comment:

• Rogue219
    replied

Do you think that's how the world will look at it in 2023?
    My preference is that ND win a National Championship by then, and in that instance, I won't give a shit and I doubt anyone else will either.

Leave a comment:

• PANDFAN
    replied
    Last edited by PANDFAN; 03-05-2021, 01:23 PM. Reason: wrong thread

Leave a comment:

• Dale
    replied

Yes.

does it matter though? A 2023 state in relation to a 2019/2020 QB battle?

Leave a comment:

• NDdomer2
    replied

this, im assuming, is you projecting PJ to ball out the next two years?

Leave a comment:

• BeauBenken
    replied

I think it was 7 Int's in his first two games and he threw 2 more the rest of the season. Some guy from his hometown posted it and said he was fighting an injury coming out of camp.

No doubt his full film didn't impress Tommy as much as his highlights.
    Ahh. Gotcha.

Leave a comment:

• NDCrusader
    replied
    Originally posted by BeauBenken View Post
    I did see posted on r/cfb something I hadn't seen before, and that is within a 3 game span this past year, Allar threw 9 interceptions. That is a bit of a red flag if true.
    I think it was 7 Int's in his first two games and he threw 2 more the rest of the season. Some guy from his hometown posted it and said he was fighting an injury coming out of camp.

No doubt his full film didn't impress Tommy as much as his highlights.

Leave a comment:

• BeauBenken
    replied
    I did see posted on r/cfb something I hadn't seen before, and that is within a 3 game span this past year, Allar threw 9 interceptions. That is a bit of a red flag if true.

Leave a comment:

• NDCrusader
    replied

Book is and was better than Phil.

Leave a comment:

• Dale
    replied
    Originally posted by dublinirish View Post

Jurkovec was everything you describe but it didn't work out with him and Tommy. It sounds to me like Tommy is just comfortable with QB's who share similar traits to his own, perhaps thats due to his inexperience maybe? i don't know, I am just going by own coaching experience in HS Sports but starting out i found it very much easier to connect and motivate with the kids i saw as being "like me" but with time you learn what works with different people regardless of the differences between you.
    I don’t get the Tommy is comfortable with QBs like him thing. Book is and was better than Phil. I don’t think it’s more complicated than that. Angeli is bigger and has a much stronger arm. He’s the closest of our 4 offers and they aren’t really similar. Buchner is a complete different QB. Pyne is the only one who somewhat fits that stereotype post Book

Leave a comment:

• stpeteirish
    replied
    Chip Kelly? Do we need a comma?

Leave a comment:

• Irish Man3
    replied
    Originally posted by dublinirish View Post

Jurkovec was everything you describe but it didn't work out with him and Tommy. It sounds to me like Tommy is just comfortable with QB's who share similar traits to his own, perhaps thats due to his inexperience maybe? i don't know, I am just going by own coaching experience in HS Sports but starting out i found it very much easier to connect and motivate with the kids i saw as being "like me" but with time you learn what works with different people regardless of the differences between you.
    Jurkovec was a product of the issues with Chip Long, not Tommy.
    Last edited by Irish Man3; 03-04-2021, 08:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dublinirish
    replied

They have to start recruiting for guys with more raw talent and building them from there. There will be busts, Wimbush. There will be successes, Kizer. But it's pretty silly to act like Tommy is properly discerning (over the phone and with virtual meetings no less) the mental aptitude of every top QB in the country with the expectation that he'll find the next Joe Montana or Tom Brady. It's a lot easier to look at the big guys with the big arms (or any recruit with an elite-ish tangible trait for that matter), recruit 5-6 every 4 years and coach them up. One is realistic and one is of fairy tales.

We're recruiting to a profile that just doesn't exist much in the NFL. How many QB's go in the top 2-3 rds of the draft every year 6'2 or under and/or don't have an elite physical trait to them? We just had an entire depth chart of them. The NFL isn't drafting smart QB's. They are drafting talented QB's. Who may or may not be smart.

Clark Lea did an interview with 247 sports last offseason and he was asked about length at the LB position and it's relevance to recruiting. He basically said, that they will recruit a 6' LB if they think he can play but they will not recruit a room full of 6' LB's because it limits the upside of the room. Time for Tommy and company to do the same. Have to start pushing the room into a physical profile that has more upside. You can do that with size, athleticism, arm strength, etc. but it needs to be done. If you cannot develop those guys then you shouldn't have a job.

Leave a comment:

• Luckylucci
    replied
    Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
    It's not so much the big arm as it is between the ears.
    They have to start recruiting for guys with more raw talent and building them from there. There will be busts, Wimbush. There will be successes, Kizer. But it's pretty silly to act like Tommy is properly discerning (over the phone and with virtual meetings no less) the mental aptitude of every top QB in the country with the expectation that he'll find the next Joe Montana or Tom Brady. It's a lot easier to look at the big guys with the big arms (or any recruit with an elite-ish tangible trait for that matter), recruit 5-6 every 4 years and coach them up. One is realistic and one is of fairy tales.

We're recruiting to a profile that just doesn't exist much in the NFL. How many QB's go in the top 2-3 rds of the draft every year 6'2 or under and/or don't have an elite physical trait to them? We just had an entire depth chart of them. The NFL isn't drafting smart QB's. They are drafting talented QB's. Who may or may not be smart.

Clark Lea did an interview with 247 sports last offseason and he was asked about length at the LB position and it's relevance to recruiting. He basically said, that they will recruit a 6' LB if they think he can play but they will not recruit a room full of 6' LB's because it limits the upside of the room. Time for Tommy and company to do the same. Have to start pushing the room into a physical profile that has more upside. You can do that with size, athleticism, arm strength, etc. but it needs to be done. If you cannot develop those guys then you shouldn't have a job.

Leave a comment:

• Dale
    replied
    They should have taken Angeli months ago and then seen how it shakes out from there

Leave a comment:

• Luckylucci
    replied
    Originally posted by NDdomer2 View Post

I will take both please.
    Exactly, the good ones have both. And one is easier to develop than the other. We shouldn't be excluding ourselves from these recruitments because these guys are not a young Tommy Rees.

Leave a comment:

• dublinirish
    replied
    Angeli strikes me as a sort of guy who could come to ND and be successful but at same time he could go somewhere else and flame out and never be heard of again, if that makes sense?

Leave a comment:

Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X