Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'22 NJ QB Steven Angeli (Notre Dame Verbal)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • https://twitter.com/BGInews/status/1367651232177913872

    Comment


    • Welcome to the club, buddy.

      Comment


      • Well ... that happened.

        Comment


        • QB recruiting for a program that's been in the playoff 2 out of the last 3 years is a joke.

          Comment


          • Welp not the exciting news I had hoped for.
            Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

            Comment


            • Ugh I have to root for a BC kid? Congrats to him regardless.

              Comment


              • Welcome Steven! You already have doubters amongst your fan base. Work hard and prove those assholes wrong. Go Irish!

                Just a reminder we have parents of recruits reading the board. The negativity expressed on a teenagers commitment day doesn’t seem like a good showing for our team.
                Love Thee Notre Dame!

                Comment


                • Comment


                  • Excellent!

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by irishff1014 View Post
                      Welp not the exciting news I had hoped for.
                      I'm sorry to say I have the exact same feeling. I hope he proves me wrong.
                      Love You JB 64.....RIP.....AI720....4EVER

                      Comment


                      • Hard to remember a kid that was met with more immediate apathy by the fanbase. He was clearly at the top of Rees' list. We'll see how it goes.

                        Funnier than you in 2012.

                        Comment


                        • The more the fans don't like a kid, the more likely they are to start in the future it seems. haha

                          Good luck Stevie. Happy to have you on board.
                          "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by greyhammer90 View Post
                            Hard to remember a kid that was met with more immediate apathy by the fanbase. He was clearly at the top of Rees' list. We'll see how it goes.
                            He's catching the fallout of Tommy's process. It's a bad look and now the kid has to read it on every site. That's too bad. Hope it motivates him.

                            Comment


                            • Watched his 7on7 film. If you guys aren't excited, I'm sorry.

                              His balance of size, athleticism, mechanics look special to me.

                              Comment


                              • great get for ND imo. the kid has a strong arm, throws a great ball but hasn't started many games in HS so his best playing days are in front of him.

                                Comment


                                • Tough to not assume that Allar told BK that he wasn't that interested and then the staff called Angeli and let him know he could commit.

                                  I think the staff likes the idea of rotating between a gunslinger (Buchner) and a "game manager" like Angeli. Worked with Wimbush - Book - Jurkovec at least in their eyes.

                                  Comment


                                  • Originally posted by BabyIrish View Post
                                    Welcome Steven! You already have doubters amongst your fan base. Work hard and prove those assholes wrong. Go Irish!

                                    Just a reminder we have parents of recruits reading the board. The negativity expressed on a teenagers commitment day doesn’t seem like a good showing for our team.
                                    true but trying to prevent negativity on a message board is basically impossible. The coaches should be well versed on dealing with it as it has been a hallmark of ND football since forever. Or at least forever in internet years.


                                    Comment


                                    • Congrats to Steve and his family. Let's see if we can pair him with another now.

                                      Seems relevant in this thread as well - BK has done a lot with "worse"

                                      Originally posted by NDdomer2 View Post
                                      QB Recruits all time under BK (with Angeli included for context):
                                      Gunner Kiel National 26 0.9878
                                      Brandon Wimbush National 46 0.9792
                                      Tyler Buchner National 70 0.9685
                                      Phil Jurkovec National 83 0.9593
                                      Malik Zaire National 162 0.9300
                                      Drew Pyne National 225 0.9164
                                      Avery Davis National 246 0.9078
                                      DeShone Kizer National 242 0.9073
                                      Andrew Hendrix National 284 0.8999
                                      Everett Golson National 267 0.8937
                                      Steve Angeli National 375 0.8900
                                      Brendon Clark National 521 0.8796
                                      Tommy Rees National 421 0.8795
                                      Ian Book National 517 0.8681
                                      Luke Massa National 859 0.8559
                                      Ron Powlus III National n/a 0.8126
                                      Average overall = .9085 equates to 4*
                                      I consider the following as "successes": Wimbush, Kizer, Golson, Rees, Book.
                                      Successes average overall = .9056 which is really carried by Wimbush's .9792, excluding him it drops to .8872.

                                      Angeli is maybe right in that "sweet spot" based on previous successful QBs under BK.

                                      I am still in the thinking of we need 2 qbs. Would only be the third time we have under BK (2010 we had 3 (Hendrix, Rees, Massa) and just last year we took 2 (Buchner and Pyne). But with it being a position that is the most important in football and maybe looking at losing Clark to a medical (no info just speculating) I think it would be prudent.
                                      Prehistoric

                                      Comment


                                      • Cool beans

                                        Comment


                                        • I don't claim to be a film evaluator...

                                          But if Tommy Rees liked the way Ian Book played QB, then I can see from Angeli's highlights why Rees wanted him. He's really good on the back-should throws, he's already got the 'reverse spin away from a pass rusher' thing down, and he's an effective improviser.

                                          The fact that he's taller and will probably end up having a much stronger arm than Ian bodes really well, IMO.

                                          I'm excited about this pickup.

                                          Comment


                                          • LSU, OSU & PSU offered. That should say something.

                                            Comment


                                            • Good luck to Steven. Hope he balls out. ND needs him to. I think the gripe with QB’s is the fact that ND hopefully thinks of themselves as a playoff contending program and yet they’ve got 6 QB’s in their pipeline and 5 of them are 3* guys. That’s ridiculous. Just flat out ridiculous. And for people who say Pyne was a 4* I’m more understanding on 247’s updated rankings where they factored in his lack of growth which obviously hurts the talented kid. I hope Steven continues to prove people wrong and do well at ND. I just understand the frustration for fans who are perplexed as to the talent level coming in for kids being sold on being Notre Dame’s QB which should mean something a little special. As an example look at some of these schools and their recruiting for QB’s

                                              Clemson
                                              .9690 4* Cade Klubnik
                                              .8879 4* Bubba Chandler
                                              .9949 5* DJ Uiagalelei
                                              .9156 4* Taisun Phommacanh
                                              .9999 5* Trevor Lawrence
                                              .9854 5* Hunter Johnson

                                              Alabama
                                              .9861 5* Ty Simpson
                                              .9633 4* Jalen Milroe
                                              .9994 5* Bryce Young
                                              .9269 4* Taulia Tagovailoa
                                              .8972 4* Paul Tyson

                                              Georgia
                                              .9885 5* Gunner Stockton
                                              .9909 5* Brock Vandagriff
                                              .9095 4* Carson Beck
                                              .8994 4* D’Wan Mathis
                                              .8304 3* Stetson Bennett
                                              .9998 5* Justin Fields
                                              .9794 4* Jake Fromm

                                              Oklahoma
                                              .9970 5* Caleb Williams
                                              .8827 3* Chandler Morris
                                              .9942 5* Spencer Rattler
                                              .9092 4* Tanner Mordecai
                                              .9272 4* Chris Robison

                                              Obviously lots of these haven’t panned out or transferred but there’s no way ND can’t be in the same stratosphere with these guys when it comes to recruiting. Sure they’ll never be Bama or Clemson but picking up some pretty heralded dudes would be solid. Jurkovec and Buchner were two guys in this ballpark but I’d like to see more. Right now QB recruiting is not matching up to a playoff caliber team that ND should be expecting and striving for.

                                              Comment


                                              • Originally posted by NDMIA View Post
                                                Sure they’ll never be Bama or Clemson but picking up some pretty heralded dudes would be solid.
                                                Clemson doesn't recruit that much better than we do:

                                                Blue Chip Ratio.png
                                                The main difference is elite QB play. So don't sell your argument short. ND could absolutely be where Clemson is now if they prioritized recruiting and developing elite QB prospects. That's apparently not happening though.

                                                Comment


                                                • And to clarify, in case my post above comes across as being down on Angeli, I expect him to carry on the legacy of Rees and Book-- a multi-year starter that out-performs his rating who's easy to root for. If he turns out to be Book with better physical tools as his disposal, I'll be ecstatic. But as Crusader mentioned on the last page, his commitment coming now right after we whiffed on Allar is pointing up a major flaw in the program that's not his fault.
                                                  Last edited by Whiskeyjack; 03-05-2021, 01:15 PM.

                                                  Comment


                                                  • <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Driskell hates the Angeli commitment, in turn I will love him like a family member.</p>&mdash; Greg Flammang (@greg2126) <a href="https://twitter.com/greg2126/status/1367852962156929027?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 5, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

                                                    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Who cares what he thinks</p>&mdash; Derrek Hamilton (@hoops527dh) <a href="https://twitter.com/hoops527dh/status/1367854506327834628?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 5, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

                                                    Derek Hamilton haha yooooooooooo
                                                    What did Davonte do?

                                                    Comment


                                                    • Welcome to ND Steve. As I said before, he’s a solid QB prospect and he does some nice things on tape. I was hoping for a different skill set and prospect but I think he’ll be a quality addition.

                                                      On another note, maybe they’re playing the long game here and this helps with Morris, Brown, Gould, and Bellamy. Go get em Steve!

                                                      Comment


                                                      • Originally posted by Whiskeyjack View Post

                                                        Clemson doesn't recruit that much better than we do:

                                                        Blue Chip Ratio.png
                                                        The main difference is elite QB play. So don't sell your argument short. ND could absolutely be where Clemson is now if they prioritized recruiting and developing elite QB prospects. That's apparently not happening though.
                                                        Great stat.
                                                        Love You JB 64.....RIP.....AI720....4EVER

                                                        Comment


                                                        • Been mentioned in here a couple of times that Angeli is a game manager which he is not. He's got a big arm and solid athleticism. Everyone sees 3* and assumes that.

                                                          Comment


                                                          • Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                                                            LSU, OSU & PSU offered. That should say something.
                                                            None of those offers were committable.

                                                            Comment


                                                            • Welcome to ND Steve!! Glad to get our QB in this class. It seems that Rees put all of the eggs in the Angeli basket and it paid off.

                                                              Comment


                                                              • I really don’t get the Book comparisons or how people are suggesting he has less physical tools.

                                                                Book is 6’ (maybe)
                                                                Angeli is 6’3 and has a dad taller than that so it’s possible he gets to 6’4.

                                                                I think he has stronger arm than Book did when he was a senior.

                                                                I have no idea how he pans out. And I have no critique for people wanting to dissect the qb recruiting strategy. But let’s not shit on the kid personally the day of his commitment.
                                                                Love Thee Notre Dame!

                                                                Comment


                                                                • Originally posted by BabyIrish View Post
                                                                  But let’s not shit on the kid personally the day of his commitment.
                                                                  Agreed! Why the negativity? ND didn't get Allar...its recruiting!

                                                                  Comment


                                                                  • Originally posted by BabyIrish View Post
                                                                    I really don’t get the Book comparisons or how people are suggesting he has less physical tools.

                                                                    Book is 6’ (maybe)
                                                                    Angeli is 6’3 and has a dad taller than that so it’s possible he gets to 6’4.

                                                                    I think he has stronger arm than Book did when he was a senior.

                                                                    I have no idea how he pans out. And I have no critique for people wanting to dissect the qb recruiting strategy. But let’s not shit on the kid personally the day of his commitment.
                                                                    Some may dismiss simple height but in Book’s case, arm strength yes limited some throws but his height legitimately limited some of the playbook because he could not see lol.

                                                                    Comment


                                                                    • Well on the upside, I see it as a big improvement on the last QB they recruited Ron Powlus Jr.

                                                                      Comment


                                                                      • I'm not an expert by any means but this kid looks like he has the tools to be successful. Ball comes off his hand with ease, he improvises with his eyes downfield(pass first guy), has enough athleticism to hurt you, size isn't an issue as he is within range of many elite quarterbacks, and he wants to be here. With another season under his belt I would be willing to bet his stock rises. He reminds me a little of Jake Fromm out of high school. Hard comparison though because Fromm played with some dudes on offense and was throwing to wide open receivers on the regular.
                                                                        Last edited by Irishbounty28; 03-05-2021, 01:26 PM.

                                                                        Comment


                                                                        • you know it's fun to have opinions and different perspective on prospects but we are NOT privy to specific reasons why someone is higher on the board, why an offer hasn't been given or "late" offer but I'll trust they obviously see something with this kid above others they have a legitimate chance with ....it's fun to see some people on here thinking they seem to have a higher football IQ/talent evaluation above someone who's professional career typically depends on it......maybe he ends up being a nobody, but I'll take a big kid,accurate and plays against some of the best in high school football
                                                                          EMPTY SPACE WAITING FOR THE NEXT HOT TAKE

                                                                          Comment


                                                                          • Another awesome note on this kid...

                                                                            According to his QB coach he hasn't lost a game as a starter since the fourth grade. That is pretty awesome! I'll take a continuation of that streak for sure.

                                                                            Comment


                                                                            • Originally posted by benneboy View Post
                                                                              Been mentioned in here a couple of times that Angeli is a game manager which he is not. He's got a big arm and solid athleticism. Everyone sees 3* and assumes that.
                                                                              I can only speak for myself but I truly do not care about stars. I watch the film m, workout sessions, 7on7 sessions, etc to get a feel for my opinions of a prospect.

                                                                              he’s a solid guy. I don’t think he has a big arm at all but it’s solid. He does some nice things in film, as I stated before, but I don’t view this as a needle mover. Buchner has the potential to be a needle mover. I don’t see that here. I hope for nothing more than him to prove me wrong.

                                                                              Comment


                                                                              • Big Congratulations to Steven and the entire Angeli family. Huge accomplishment and even bigger opportunity! Glad to welcome you to the Irish family!
                                                                                Maybe it's far too soon to tell.

                                                                                Comment


                                                                                • I know this isnt why we took Steve, but a helluva school to be tied into.
                                                                                  Prehistoric

                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                  • Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post

                                                                                    I can only speak for myself but I truly do not care about stars. I watch the film m, workout sessions, 7on7 sessions, etc to get a feel for my opinions of a prospect.

                                                                                    he’s a solid guy. I don’t think he has a big arm at all but it’s solid. He does some nice things in film, as I stated before, but I don’t view this as a needle mover. Buchner has the potential to be a needle mover. I don’t see that here. I hope for nothing more than him to prove me wrong.
                                                                                    Exactly my view as well. I'm not insulting the young man in the slightest by stating my opinion of him. What else are we on here to do? I personally liked other prospects better. Yes I don't get paid to make those decisions, but none the less, just stating my opinion. Would love for him to be a star and lead us to a championship. Honestly, I didn't see it on the highlight tape. What was an even bigger red flag was the completion percentage. At the high school level, I would hope for a 70-75% completion percentage. VArious reasons could've led to this and unfortunately, he didn't get much of a junior year to improve on it. Fingers crossed I'm eating crow down the road, because nothing would make me more happy.
                                                                                    Love You JB 64.....RIP.....AI720....4EVER

                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                    • Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post

                                                                                      I can only speak for myself but I truly do not care about stars. I watch the film m, workout sessions, 7on7 sessions, etc to get a feel for my opinions of a prospect.

                                                                                      he’s a solid guy. I don’t think he has a big arm at all but it’s solid. He does some nice things in film, as I stated before, but I don’t view this as a needle mover. Buchner has the potential to be a needle mover. I don’t see that here. I hope for nothing more than him to prove me wrong.
                                                                                      Angeli isn't a generational arm talent that is for sure, but dude can make every throw in the playbook. Is he going to throw a 40 yard dart while he is parallel to the ground like Mahomes? No. The thing that sticks out to me is he is able to match the route tree with the proper velocity throws. He isn't throwing darts to dig/drag routes, and putting too much air under go route throws. Control is something that some players with big arms have issues with. An example would be Wimbush.

                                                                                      Comment


                                                                                      • Definitely feels like settling. I hope he pans out, just not very excited about him. Hope he proves us all wrong.
                                                                                        60% of the time, it works every time.

                                                                                        Comment


                                                                                        • Originally posted by Irishbounty28 View Post

                                                                                          Angeli isn't a generational arm talent that is for sure, but dude can make every throw in the playbook. Is he going to throw a 40 yard dart while he is parallel to the ground like Mahomes? No. The thing that sticks out to me is he is able to match the route tree with the proper velocity throws. He isn't throwing darts to dig/drag routes, and putting too much air under go route throws. Control is something that some players with big arms have issues with. An example would be Wimbush.
                                                                                          Id take my chances on teaching some touch to the big arm vs praying my noodle arm gets some torque from weight room
                                                                                          Prehistoric

                                                                                          Comment


                                                                                          • Originally posted by NDdomer2 View Post

                                                                                            Id take my chances on teaching some touch to the big arm vs praying my noodle arm gets some torque from weight room
                                                                                            Would be relevant if the argument was noodle arm vs strong arm. Lol Angeli has a strong arm, just not generational arm talent.

                                                                                            Comment


                                                                                            • Originally posted by Irishbounty28 View Post

                                                                                              Would be relevant if the argument was noodle arm vs strong arm. Lol Angeli has a strong arm, just not generational arm talent.
                                                                                              no ones requiring a "generational" arm either.
                                                                                              Prehistoric

                                                                                              Comment


                                                                                              • Originally posted by Irishbounty28 View Post
                                                                                                Another awesome note on this kid...

                                                                                                According to his QB coach he hasn't lost a game as a starter since the fourth grade. That is pretty awesome! I'll take a continuation of that streak for sure.
                                                                                                Now that's something to be prod of.
                                                                                                Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

                                                                                                Comment


                                                                                                • Originally posted by NDdomer2 View Post

                                                                                                  no ones requiring a "generational" arm either.
                                                                                                  I never said that it is required. Was just replying to your “noodle arm” comment. Which is not relevant to the argument being made. Angeli has more arm talent than almost every quarterback on ND’s roster right now.

                                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                                  • Originally posted by Irishbounty28 View Post

                                                                                                    Angeli isn't a generational arm talent that is for sure, but dude can make every throw in the playbook. Is he going to throw a 40 yard dart while he is parallel to the ground like Mahomes? No. The thing that sticks out to me is he is able to match the route tree with the proper velocity throws. He isn't throwing darts to dig/drag routes, and putting too much air under go route throws. Control is something that some players with big arms have issues with. An example would be Wimbush.
                                                                                                    Here is his Boom Workout. It's not bad, because he's not a bad prospect. He's a solid, call it good, P5 guy as I've said all along. But this is not a strong arm. As he starts to work downfield the ball starts to get away from him and flutter or sail. It's good or adequate but certainly not a plus skillset relative to other QB's that we'd take over him. I've seen workout videos for Wimsatt and Allar and those guys have clearly better ball velocity, spin, and control as they push the ball downfield.

                                                                                                    Watch: 2022 QB Steve Angeli Boom Workout - Bing video

                                                                                                    This is a strong arm
                                                                                                    Video | 2022 QB Gavin Wimsatt Workout | Irish Sports Daily

                                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                                    • You need to “QB proof” your offense with scheme, OL and WR talent (Alabama) and/or have a elite QB (2018 Clemson). If you’re not gonna have B, be prepared to do A

                                                                                                      Comment

                                                                                                      Adsense

                                                                                                      Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X