Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'22 PA RB Nicholas Singleton (Penn State Verbal)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post

I was thinking this too, but is it possible that Penn State is bigger within the state? Steelers have a ton more fans, but not all within Pennsylvania.
    I grew up in Eastern PA and now live in PGH. My experience is that there aren’t that many Steelers fans east of Harrisburg. The entire state is filled with PSU fans (even in Pittsburgh where Pitt football fandom is largely restricted to alums).

So in terms of numbers of fans in PA, I’d guess that PSU is by far the biggest and it’s not particularly close. Keep in mind also that this is a school with 700k alumni (most of which are living in PA).

Comment

• I guess I needed italics of something.
      "From Chaos comes Clarity"

Comment

• Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post
        I guess I needed italics of something.
        https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe%27s_law

Funnier than you in 2012.

Comment

• PSU should have been given the death penalty.

Comment

• Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post

I was thinking this too, but is it possible that Penn State is bigger within the state? Steelers have a ton more fans, but not all within Pennsylvania.
            Steelers and Eagles are basically tied from total number of fans. You do get other fans from bordering states. PSU is huge in PA. There's even a lot of Jersey fans who love PSU.

Comment

• Originally posted by NDIrish88 View Post

Steelers and Eagles are basically tied from total number of fans. You do get other fans from bordering states. PSU is huge in PA. There's even a lot of Jersey fans who love PSU.
              Steelers and Eagles split the state in half. PA is a really big state. PSU is #1 for college and ND is #2, especially as you get closer to Philly and all the Catholic schools there. I would also say NJ has a strong PSU fanbase but ND is a very close second.
              The yellow mustard pants are hideous and have to go.

Comment

• I hope dad likes their new coaching staff next year too

Comment

• I don't think it's too suspicious that the kid was torn 50/50 and defaulted to home. I do agree it is strange that a parent wouldn't have attended an official visit with their kid. Especially one with the academic pedigree of ND, but maybe that's not Dad's priority. Majority of these kids and their parents think they're going to go to the league and perhaps they thought PSU has the better track record with RBs. (They do).

With all of that being said, this recruitment clearly isn't over. I think they will continue to work on him, and with another big year from Williams and with Tyree's role expanding this fall, perhaps that will open his eyes a bit more.
                  My two favorite football teams: Notre Dame, and whoever's playing Michigan.

Comment

• So, if Franklin jumps ship for USC, are we back in?

Another question, would we rather have Singleton in the fold, or Franklin at USC?

Comment

• I doubt he comes to south bend. That area of pa is tough to pull kids, lots of psu influence. He was in happy valley last weekend vs auburn. Buddys nephew was there w other recruits along w singleton. Sent vids of the pre game, on field etc, ND has no comparison to a white out. Id love singleton in blue gold, just dont see it.

Comment

• I think a lot of thing have to happen for him to flip, namely and in no order:

1. Franklin isn't the coach
                        2. PSU has a terrible year
                        3. The RB coach also leaves

Comment

I think a lot of thing have to happen for him to flip, namely and in no order:

1. Franklin isn't the coach
                          2. PSU has a terrible year
                          3. The RB coach also leaves
                          Or one thing happens - he starts making his own life decisions.

Comment

• Originally posted by WilliamWallace View Post
                            So, if Franklin jumps ship for USC, are we back in?

Another question, would we rather have Singleton in the fold, or Franklin at USC?
                            No. Too many people in his ear telling him to go to PSU, including family and coaches. If he were at one of the Catholic schools in the state, this would be a much different story. It's just not happening.

Comment

• Ok, all comments are valid, but let’s not forget that he did almost commit to us on a visit. So that’s something. If Franklin accepts said job on the suck coast well that leaves a lot of questions, right? I really don’t care if he’s in the fold other than to have another high quality back, I’m highly in JP’s corner.

But the questions remains, would you rather have Singleton because James Franklin jumped ship? Or lose Singleton, and Franklin stays at PSU?

Comment

So, if Franklin jumps ship for USC, are we back in?

Franklin is one of the worst in-game coaches.

Comment

• Personally, I’d rather out recruit PSU and Franklin stay put. I think Franklin is good enough (especially in that position) to be a thorn in our side.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reaper97 View Post
                                    Franklin is one of the worst in-game coaches.
                                    Maybe so, but there’s enough talent that would flock to that scene (USC) to make up for his deficiencies as a play caller. Maybe not every time, or in every game, but clearly he’s starting to put something together and it could be a lot worse for us if he “puts it together” at USC.

Comment

Maybe so, but there’s enough talent that would flock to that scene (USC) to make up for his deficiencies as a play caller. Maybe not every time, or in every game, but clearly he’s starting to put something together and it could be a lot worse for us if he “puts it together” at USC.
                                      Would probably be like Kirby Smart at UGA.
                                      Kirby recruits better than anybody, but just can’t coach in game days.
                                      I could see Franklin loading up USC with talent, but then losing to Oregon St.

Comment

• I saw Singleton play in person for the first time last night, and I have no good news to share for ND fans:

1) His team played against another team who has two D1 linebackers, and Singleton was still a man among boys. I knew he was big, but he's MUCH faster than I thought.

2) It doesn't take him long to get to top end speed. Within 3 seconds he's lit.

3) He's enrolling early at PSU. And the people in his circle aren't wavering from that plan.

4) When the opponent had a player go down and was down for a while, Sinlgeton went over to make sure he was OK and gave him a fist bump. Seems like a good natured kid.

5) Ironic part is PSU O line is almost as bad as ND this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Polish Leppy 22 View Post
                                          I saw Singleton play in person for the first time last night, and I have no good news to share for ND fans:

1) His team played against another team who has two D1 linebackers, and Singleton was still a man among boys. I knew he was big, but he's MUCH faster than I thought.

2) It doesn't take him long to get to top end speed. Within 3 seconds he's lit.

3) He's enrolling early at PSU. And the people in his circle aren't wavering from that plan.

4) When the opponent had a player go down and was down for a while, Sinlgeton went over to make sure he was OK and gave him a fist bump. Seems like a good natured kid.

5) Ironic part is PSU O line is almost as bad as ND this year.
                                          PSU O line is generally crap. Their relative success with RBs offsets this

Comment

• The Latest | Notre Dame & Nick Singleton | Irish Sports Daily

Gosh, I want Franklin to go to LSU so bad. ND still keeping tabs here.

Comment

• I really hope OSU seal clubs PSU tonight.

Comment

• I am so accustomed to hating OSU but you make a good point

Comment

• Don’t care what recruit we are chasing. There is nothing better than a pOSU loss.

Comment

• Originally posted by ab2cmiller View Post
                                                    Don’t care what recruit we are chasing. There is nothing better than a pOSU loss.
                                                    Nah. Franklin needs to be exposed.

Comment

• Originally posted by ThePiombino View Post
                                                      Agree, lay the points and boat race Pedo U

Comment

• Originally posted by ThePiombino View Post
                                                        Id rather he gets hired at Southern Cal first, then exposed as the fraud he is.

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishBoognish View Post

Id rather he gets hired at Southern Cal first, then exposed as the fraud he is.
                                                          He could out recruit a lot of folks at SC to mask his coaching shortcomings in a weak conference that depends on his local recruiting market to fill ever one of the conference's teams' rosters. At LSU, there's no hiding on the field or on the trail. You are #2 until Saban retires and battling A&M for 3rd in the conference behind UGA/AL.

Being the 12-1 PAC Champs with an obligatory loss to ND is an easier path to the playoffs than beating Bama, A&M, Auburn and then UGA if somehow you beat Bama.

Comment

• Originally posted by BobbyMac View Post

He could out recruit a lot of folks at SC to mask his coaching shortcomings in a weak conference that depends on his local recruiting market to fill ever one of the conference's teams' rosters. At LSU, there's no hiding on the field or on the trail. You are #2 until Saban retires and battling A&M for 3rd in the conference behind UGA/AL.

Being the 12-1 PAC Champs with an obligatory loss to ND is an easier path to the playoffs than beating Bama, A&M, Auburn and then UGA if somehow you beat Bama.
                                                            Agreed. The USC gig is a much better fit for Franklin. If he can pull Joe Moorhead away from Oregon to be his OC again and take Brent Pry too, shit could get real in LA quick.

Comment

Agreed. The USC gig is a much better fit for Franklin. If he can pull Joe Moorhead away from Oregon to be his OC again and take Brent Pry too, shit could get real in LA quick.
                                                              And if I understand the situation correctly, Donte Williams will be part of the new staff regardless of who is hired.

Comment

• Originally posted by BobbyMac View Post

And if I understand the situation correctly, Donte Williams will be part of the new staff regardless of who is hired.
                                                                That's not good news . . .also I am not sure Moorehead wants to be A) on the west coast anymore B) on Franklin's staff. Morehead thinks Franklin is a total dipshit, from what I've been told . . . But if they do team up again it won't be good news.

Comment

• Moorhead might be a candidate for the PSU job anyways.

Sent from my SM-J337U using Tapatalk

Comment

• PSU is extremely well positioned to get a new HC if Franklin leaves. They are the ultimate well Michigan/ND/OSU is better but PSU is to good to pass up on given the opportunity. Fickell, Hafley, Moorhead (think better OC than HC still but gets mention), Elko, Pry, Campbell. Lot of guys at the ready and if you’re Fickell or Campbell I think you’d be dumb to pass on PSU at the chance you get one of the Big 3

Comment

• Originally posted by Dale View Post
                                                                      PSU is extremely well positioned to get a new HC if Franklin leaves. They are the ultimate well Michigan/ND/OSU is better but PSU is to good to pass up on given the opportunity. Fickell, Hafley, Moorhead (think better OC than HC still but gets mention), Elko, Pry, Campbell. Lot of guys at the ready and if you’re Fickell or Campbell I think you’d be dumb to pass on PSU at the chance you get one of the Big 3
                                                                      Agreed completely on the last 2 posts.

Dale you threw out names I forgot about like Elko. Great post.

Comment

• Summary from article in the Athletic written by a PSU beat writer:

1) Singleton did love ND and was close to committing.

2) Franklin reminded the kid and the family how expensive it would be for them to travel to his games if he didn't go to PSU. Read between the lines there.

3) Rees and Taylor are still in contact with Singleton.

4) The kid is 17 and maxed out with a 415 bench, 520 squat, and 365 power clean. So PSU is telling him he's the next Saquon. And they're telling him the PSU run game is struggling because they don't have him in the backfield. Haha.

Comment

Summary from article in the Athletic written by a PSU beat writer:

2) Franklin reminded the kid and the family how expensive it would be for them to travel to his games if he didn't go to PSU. Read between the lines there.

4) The kid is 17 and maxed out with a 415 bench, 520 squat, and 365 power clean. So PSU is telling him he's the next Saquon. And they're telling him the PSU run game is struggling because they don't have him in the backfield. Haha.
                                                                          Those numbers are insane for a 17 year old if they’re accurate.
                                                                          60% of the time, it works every time.

Comment

Summary from article in the Athletic written by a PSU beat writer:

Might want to give Kenn Ricci a call. I'm sure he could organize an NIL deal with one of his aviation companies to help facilitate travel.

Comment

• His dad also made the comment in the athletic article re: Penn State vs. ND.

“Even before we went on officials, Franklin kind of hit on every bull’s-eye of why he should come to Penn State, and it was like you couldn’t argue with any of it,” Tim said.“Close to home, you can’t tell me the degree will be any different. … I think with Notre Dame, Nicholas just got caught up in it. … Coach Taylor was great. Everybody there was great. … It leaked out that he was gonna commit there and it kind of went haywire at that point.”
                                                                              Just a really disappointing lack of perspective from his dad regarding the value of the degree. I'm totally fine with a parent wanting his kid to go to a place nearby, and I'm not going to pretend that a state university degree won't serve a person just fine in life (I'm a great example of that myself), but yeah Tim, the degree can be "different."

Funnier than you in 2012.

Comment

• Dad being a fan derailed this, sounds like may with Amorion Walker too. A michigan man is a punchline to a sick joke that too often starts with domestic abuse and institutional cover ups and pedo state lets you shower where child rapes occurred so ‍♂️ enjoy

Comment

• Think there is a greater than 50% chance Franklin moves on after this season so wouldn't say that we are dead yet here.

Comment

• Originally posted by NDPhilly View Post
                                                                                    Think there is a greater than 50% chance Franklin moves on after this season so wouldn't say that we are dead yet here.
                                                                                    Depends on when he moves on. Would not be surprised if he pulled a Dick move and left after signing day.

Comment

• Originally posted by dad4aa View Post

Depends on when he moves on. Would not be surprised if he pulled a Dick move and left after signing day.
                                                                                      If I was trying to poach any PSU prospect, I’d feel much better if you could get them to not sign on ESD.

Comment

• There's a lot I want to say but I want to wait until after signing day to do it so someone please remind me to come back to this thread. There are a few recruitments -- this one, Schrauth, Rice -- where the conduct of people around them is so self-serving that it makes you want to pull your hair out. With Walker I feel differently because I think that waffling is actually driven by the prospect as much or more so than people around them.

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                                                                                          There's a lot I want to say but I want to wait until after signing day to do it so someone please remind me to come back to this thread. There are a few recruitments -- this one, Schrauth, Rice -- where the conduct of people around them is so self-serving that it makes you want to pull your hair out. With Walker I feel differently because I think that waffling is actually driven by the prospect as much or more so than people around them.
                                                                                          This is what is so frustrating with recruiting. We have top prospects that want to come here but the parents try to control these players.
                                                                                          Check out my blog building4thefuture.blogspot.com. Its all sports. Irish, NFL DRAFT PROSPECT PREVIEWS, Mets, Mavericks, and Islanders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by greyhammer90 View Post
                                                                                            His dad also made the comment in the athletic article re: Penn State vs. ND.

Just a really disappointing lack of perspective from his dad regarding the value of the degree. I'm totally fine with a parent wanting his kid to go to a place nearby, and I'm not going to pretend that a state university degree won't serve a person just fine in life (I'm a great example of that myself), but yeah Tim, the degree can be "different."
                                                                                            Wal Mart is full of parents who make stupid decisions.

Comment

• I wouldn't make too many generalizations about parents since we have probably been helped out by pushy parents as much as we have been hurt by them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post

Why you gotta bring Michigan into this?
                                                                                                "From Chaos comes Clarity"

Comment

• Originally posted by SouthSideChiDomer View Post
                                                                                                  I wouldn't make too many generalizations about parents since we have probably been helped out by pushy parents as much as we have been hurt by them.
                                                                                                  My parents are Boomers. I'm inclined to disagree with you, relatively speaking, but I get what you're saying here.

ND has won plenty of signatures because mom and or dad were on board. Everyone here knows recruiting at the upper tier of P5 is a blood sport. You live and die by the same sword.
                                                                                                  It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post

For what it's worth...dad is a mailman and mom is a nurse.

Comment

• Originally posted by SouthSideChiDomer View Post
                                                                                                      I wouldn't make too many generalizations about parents since we have probably been helped out by pushy parents as much as we have been hurt by them.
                                                                                                      Yeah but our pushy parents have Jesus on their side.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X