Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'21 HI LB Kahanu Kia (Notre Dame Signee)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • '21 HI LB Kahanu Kia (Notre Dame Signee)

    LB -- maybe a Vyper down the road?
    Honolulu, HI
    Punahou HS


    Measurements:
    Height: 6-2
    Weight: 220

    Rankings:
    247 Comp: ..... 3* ..... #72 OLB ..... #1138 OA ..... .8466 rating
    247: ............... 3* ..... #56 OLB ............................ 86
    Rivals: ............ 3* ................................................ 5.5
    ESPN: ............. NR

    Rankings 11-19-20:
    247 Comp: ..... 3* ..... #74 OLB ..... #1162 OA ..... .8466 rating
    247: ............... 3* ..... #61 OLB ............................ 86
    Rivals: ............ 3* ................................................ 5.5
    ESPN: ............. NR

    Offers:
    Notre Dame ........ Offered 9-1-20 ..... Committed 11-19-20
    Zona
    Colo
    Dartmouth
    Fresno
    Hawaii
    Princeton
    SDSU
    Stanford
    UCLA
    UNLV
    Utah
    Utah St
    Wazzu

    Media Links:

    Twitter = https://twitter.com/kahanukia

    Hudl = https://www.hudl.com/profile/9628208/Kahanu-Kia

    Highlights:

    <iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/9628208/5dc1c8c0d468bc1074efe61e' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Last edited by BobbyMac; 11-19-2020, 03:52 PM.

  • #2
    Sounds like it's down to ND and Utah. Dad played at Utah and they are LDS.

    Planning on taking his Mission after HS so he would join team in 2023.

    Has had his ND offer pinned since the start of September

    Will unofficial visit next month.

    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Wow!! I am so grateful to have received an offer from NOTRE DAME!!! Thank you Heavenly Father!! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/hardworkpaysoff?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw"> #hardworkpaysoff</a> <a href="https://t.co/9laeUu3DcG">pic.twitter.com/9laeUu3DcG</a></p>&mdash; Kahanu Kia (@KahanuKia) <a href="https://twitter.com/KahanuKia/status/1300987420054233088?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 2, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">2021 Punahou (Hawaii) LB Kahanu Kia (<a href="https://twitter.com/KahanuKia?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@KahanuKia</a>) Planning Notre Dame Visit<br><br>&quot;We've been watching every game and Notre Dame is looking super impressive right now.&quot; <a href="https://t.co/ojtkoja6pj">https://t.co/ojtkoja6pj</a></p>&mdash; Matt Freeman (@mattfreemanISD) <a href="https://twitter.com/mattfreemanISD/status/1316719047053053953?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 15, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    Last edited by BobbyMac; 10-16-2020, 05:31 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Kid will pull a Chris Badger and that 215 will end up being 165 lbs. Chris Badger had one of the best highlight films LOL.

      Comment


      • #4
        All the Hawaiians.
        "Yes, they deserved to die and I hope they burn in hell!"
        --Samuel L

        Comment


        • #5
          Has ND had any luck with the players leaving for the two year mission and coming back to really contribute? I recall a DB or similar a few years back that went but came back scrawny and never really did much. Or is my memory just garbage?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by tko View Post
            Kid will pull a Chris Badger and that 215 will end up being 165 lbs. Chris Badger had one of the best highlight films LOL.
            yeah, hard pass

            Comment


            • #7
              let him transfer in if he has a good 2023 at Utah.

              Comment


              • #8
                Would be best for him to go to Utah since they deal with the whole mission thing more often.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Lol at this thread

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by 317Irish View Post
                    Lol at this thread
                    Right? Give me all the mission guys. One reason Utah and BYU and probably always so sneaky good is because they got a bunch of 24 & 25 y/o guys on the roster. Plus then you have to worry less about freshman immaturity.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      He only counts as a scholarship while he’s on campus so I don’t see the harm in having him commit. He’s not taking a spot. If he never makes it, he never makes it.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        We are supposed to want an LDS kid who doesn't even have a BYU offer? lol come on.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by fightingirish26 View Post
                          We are supposed to want an LDS kid who doesn't even have a BYU offer? lol come on.
                          His Dad being a standout DE at Utah probably had something to do with that.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by tko View Post
                            Kid will pull a Chris Badger and that 215 will end up being 165 lbs. Chris Badger had one of the best highlight films LOL.
                            Chris Badger had about 15 plays on that highlight tape that would have been targeting today. One of the most fun tapes Ive watched.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by NDPhilly View Post
                              Chris Badger had about 15 plays on that highlight tape that would have been targeting today. One of the most fun tapes Ive watched.
                              Huntin!!!!!

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Mike Singer with the future caste

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  BTW, someone said in the past few days that they expect him to play in '21, not '23.

                                  I was sorta diggin' the mission on this one.

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Good weekend to be in town to make an impression even without ability to take an official.

                                    Notre Dame toppled previously No. 1 ranked Clemson 47-40 in double overtimes arguably the biggest victory of the Brian Kelly era. Kia was thrilled to be in town during the game.
                                    https://notredame.rivals.com/news/to...tre-dame-visit

                                    https://irishsportsdaily.com/s/13520...tre-dame-visit

                                    And Loy had a freebee recruiting chat a few weeks ago where he mentioned the staff favoring immediate matriculation instead of the two year break during the LDS mission

                                    I believe the best bet to make a decision in the near future would be three-star linebacker / defensive end Kahanu Kia, who could announce a commitment at the end of November after visits to Utah, Notre Dame and UCLA. I could see the Irish winning that battle. The Fighting Irish would like him to visit and maybe even commit immediately just like fellow Hawaiian Marist Liufau once did. For Kia, the staff would love to land him and get him on campus right away as a freshman rather than taking a mission trip. But there is still plenty left to be determined there.
                                    https://247sports.com/ContentGallery...4/#153231974_1

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Linebacker/DE? I didn't know he was considered a possible DE

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post
                                        Linebacker/DE? I didn't know he was considered a possible DE

                                        At 6&rsquo;2&rdquo; 215 lbs I would project him at wde. But if he goes on a mission throw that out the window.


                                        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                                        Comment


                                        • #21
                                          Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
                                          BTW, someone said in the past few days that they expect him to play in '21, not '23.

                                          I was sorta diggin' the mission on this one.
                                          If he plays LB I'll take it in 21

                                          Comment


                                          • #22
                                            i'll be interested to see how choosey we get down the stretch if we keep playing well.
                                            Love You JB 64.....RIP.....AI720....4EVER

                                            Comment


                                            • #23
                                              Who was the last LDS kid we gave a scholarship to who went on a mission and then came back and transferred to BYU sucking up a scholarship for 3 years. I cant remember his name.

                                              Anyway, consider me in the coaches camp here. No way I want a kid going off to a third world country, and not bein gable to bulk up and eat and train and then come back and expect to compete with top 5 teams. nuh uh. Come and stay or not at all IMO.
                                              "From Chaos comes Clarity"

                                              Comment


                                              • #24
                                                Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post
                                                Who was the last LDS kid we gave a scholarship to who went on a mission and then came back and transferred to BYU sucking up a scholarship for 3 years. I cant remember his name.
                                                You're thinking of Chris Badger.

                                                EDIT: and he ended up just being a special teams guy there. So I think we can chalk that one up as a guy who saw the writing on the wall as far as the depth chart was concerned. IIRC, his mission was to a place where he couldn't really keep up with his nutrition and fitness.
                                                Last edited by Pops Freshenmeyer; 11-10-2020, 12:55 PM.

                                                Comment


                                                • #25
                                                  I actually think that kids on Mission don't count against the scholly limit

                                                  Comment


                                                  • #26
                                                    Originally posted by zelezo vlk View Post
                                                    I actually think that kids on Mission don't count against the scholly limit
                                                    Maybe. at the time I think it was questionable. It was a while ago and I may be misremembering. Either way BK had to maintain a spot for him when he returned. But then he transferred and we were down a scholly that year I think.

                                                    Regardless I didn't like it then and I don't like it now. :)
                                                    "From Chaos comes Clarity"

                                                    Comment


                                                    • #27
                                                      Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post
                                                      Anyway, consider me in the coaches camp here. No way I want a kid going off to a third world country, and not bein gable to bulk up and eat and train and then come back and expect to compete with top 5 teams. nuh uh. Come and stay or not at all IMO.
                                                      Agreed. The amount of worldly experience gained is offset with physical deterioration. This was a good article last year on Tanner McKee. Stanford's top 50 overall player in the 2018 class who went on a mission.

                                                      Reality is, McKee, who regularly eats the traditional Brazilian fare of beans and rice, has lost 15 pounds of muscle from his frame in the year since he arrived here. His neck has shrunk a bit and his pants, which were tight on his legs when he arrived, now flap in the breeze.

                                                      If my personal trainer could see me now, McKee jokes, hed kill me If I had to play a game right now, it would be tough. Id get crushed.

                                                      In the mission field, his physical conditioning and weight training is limited to these daily workout sessions in the mornings six days a week before donning the standard missionary white shirt and tie.
                                                      https://www.deseret.com/sports/2019/...lds-missionary

                                                      With this follow up article upon his return in spring 2020.

                                                      https://www.deseret.com/sports/2020/...sionary-brazil

                                                      Compared to 5* Phil not enrolling early, this seems a bit more of a set back for prospects who are serious about success in football.

                                                      Comment


                                                      • #28
                                                        Utah just took a ILB commit in the class of 2021:
                                                        <iframe class="twofourseven-embed" title="Player Embed" style="max-width: 100%" frameBorder="0" width="600" height="200" src="https://247sports.com/PlayerSport/Ethan-Calvert-at-Oaks-Christian-233345/Embed/"></iframe><script async src="https://assets.247sports.com/Scripts/SkyNet/Shared/embed.js" charSet="utf-8"></script>

                                                        Trends well for Kia to ND now
                                                        What did Davonte do?

                                                        Comment


                                                        • #29
                                                          Irish CBs are coming in. Maybe it happens tonight.

                                                          Comment


                                                          • #30
                                                            Originally posted by dublinirish View Post
                                                            Utah just took a ILB commit in the class of 2021:
                                                            <iframe class="twofourseven-embed" title="Player Embed" style="max-width: 100%" frameBorder="0" width="600" height="200" src="https://247sports.com/PlayerSport/Ethan-Calvert-at-Oaks-Christian-233345/Embed/"></iframe><script async src="https://assets.247sports.com/Scripts/SkyNet/Shared/embed.js" charSet="utf-8"></script>

                                                            Trends well for Kia to ND now
                                                            How did Utah get such a highly rated kid?

                                                            Comment


                                                            • #31
                                                              Originally posted by AvesEvo View Post
                                                              How did Utah get such a highly rated kid?
                                                              Utah is usually good to pull 3-4 decent 4*s a year. Last year they got a CB #51 overall prospect in the country.
                                                              .....Before I Get Out

                                                              Comment


                                                              • #32
                                                                I'd be a lot more fired up for this if he wasn't taking his mission. It's hard to get too excited if it's 1 year in and 2 years away. But, I bet he'll be a ST's maniac for 1 season.

                                                                Comment


                                                                • #33
                                                                  Originally posted by arrowryan View Post
                                                                  Irish CBs are coming in. Maybe it happens tonight.
                                                                  Looks like it. Someone is.

                                                                  Comment


                                                                  • #34
                                                                    Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
                                                                    I'd be a lot more fired up for this if he wasn't taking his mission. It's hard to get too excited if it's 1 year in and 2 years away. But, I bet he'll be a ST's maniac for 1 season.
                                                                    So now the word is he WILL take his mission before enrolling?

                                                                    Comment


                                                                    • #35
                                                                      Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
                                                                      So now the word is he WILL take his mission before enrolling?
                                                                      Last I read he was 1 year in school and then leaving for his mission. Unsure if that has changed.

                                                                      Comment


                                                                      • #36
                                                                        Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
                                                                        Last I read he was 1 year in school and then leaving for his mission. Unsure if that has changed.
                                                                        That's even weirder. Thx LL.

                                                                        Comment


                                                                        • #37
                                                                          He'll return from his mission weighing 130 lbs

                                                                          Comment


                                                                          • #38
                                                                            Gotta punt on this one fellas

                                                                            Comment


                                                                            • #39
                                                                              Originally posted by Wingman Ray View Post
                                                                              Gotta punt on this one fellas
                                                                              There is zero downside to this so no reason to punt. It's a free down. He'll take space on a roster that has no scholarship limits and then when we have to get back down under the 85 limit, he'll be gone.

                                                                              Comment


                                                                              • #40
                                                                                Maybe Covid and the 2021 limitless year changes everything, but I thought that once the eligibility clock started, it couldnt be paused. 5/6 years to play 4. Weinke was playing in his late 20s because his minor league baseball stint occurred before he played at FSU (crazy Charlie Ward and him signed in the same class and enrolled in the summer of 1990), but had he left after playing a game, he couldnt have come back to play.

                                                                                Comment


                                                                                • #41
                                                                                  On II they said that he wont be taking his mission if he goes to ND. I dont know where the link is but go there to find the story (wanting to cover my baiss so I dont get in trouble)
                                                                                  God Country Notre Dame
                                                                                  http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/n...andeverett.jpg

                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                  • #42
                                                                                    Originally posted by ryno 24 View Post
                                                                                    On II they said that he wont be taking his mission if he goes to ND. I dont know where the link is but go there to find the story (wanting to cover my baiss so I dont get in trouble)
                                                                                    That makes significantly more sense

                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                    • #43
                                                                                      Originally posted by ryno 24 View Post
                                                                                      On II they said that he wont be taking his mission if he goes to ND. I dont know where the link is but go there to find the story (wanting to cover my baiss so I dont get in trouble)
                                                                                      Everyone knows the prerequisite for attending ND is converting to Catholicism.

                                                                                      Comment


                                                                                      • #44
                                                                                        Originally posted by ryno 24 View Post
                                                                                        On II they said that he wont be taking his mission if he goes to ND. I dont know where the link is but go there to find the story (wanting to cover my baiss so I dont get in trouble)
                                                                                        I cant imagine the coaches want to deal with this again. Makes sense to me they would stipulate a full scholarship would be contingent on not taking a mission. Hell..... the kid could do his mission in SW Michigan. Its like a 3rd world country there already..







                                                                                        ;) jk
                                                                                        "From Chaos comes Clarity"

                                                                                        Comment


                                                                                        • #45
                                                                                          Originally posted by Cackalacky2.0 View Post
                                                                                          I cant imagine the coaches want to deal with this again. Makes sense to me they would stipulate a full scholarship would be contingent on not taking a mission. Hell..... the kid could do his mission in SW Michigan. Its like a 3rd world country there already..



                                                                                          ;) jk
                                                                                          Hey, we're not that bad....yet

                                                                                          Comment


                                                                                          • #46
                                                                                            Originally posted by dad4aa View Post
                                                                                            Hey, we're not that bad....yet
                                                                                            We are on the up and up. They are getting ready to build a Popeyes!

                                                                                            Comment


                                                                                            • #47
                                                                                              Originally posted by ryno 24 View Post
                                                                                              On II they said that he wont be taking his mission if he goes to ND. I dont know where the link is but go there to find the story (wanting to cover my baiss so I dont get in trouble)
                                                                                              Great news, thanks for sharing.

                                                                                              Comment


                                                                                              • #48
                                                                                                I see good awareness, instincts & fundamentals while breaking down in space, but his foot speed seems kind of heavy and slow. Anyone else feel this way by looking at his film? Not a knock on him, but just something I noticed and figured I'd see what y'all think. Also, is he being recruited specifically as a Mike LB or is he a guy that they try at Mike and Buck?
                                                                                                Last edited by NDinMI; 11-18-2020, 01:31 PM.

                                                                                                Comment


                                                                                                • #49
                                                                                                  Originally posted by NDinMI View Post
                                                                                                  I see good awareness, instincts & fundamentals while breaking down in space, but his foot speed seems kind of heavy and slow. Anyone else feel this way by looking at his film? Not a knock on him, but just something I noticed and figured I'd see what y'all think. Also, is he being recruited specifically as a Mike LB or is he a guy that they try at Mike and Buck?
                                                                                                  stick him on ST and he can be the next Bauer/Jordan Botelho
                                                                                                  What did Davonte do?

                                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                                  • #50
                                                                                                    Originally posted by NDinMI View Post
                                                                                                    I see good awareness, instincts & fundamentals while breaking down in space, but his foot speed seems kind of heavy and slow. Anyone else feel this way by looking at his film? Not a knock on him, but just something I noticed and figured I'd see what y'all think. Also, is he being recruited specifically as a Mike LB or is he a guy that they try at Mike and Buck?
                                                                                                    Ive been confused about this recruitment because we were originally going to take one LB. It seemed odd that we were reversing course to pursue Kia (whos not even playing this year). I think Ive figured it out though:

                                                                                                    Kahanu Kia : Teva Tafiti :: Robby Toma : Manti Teo

                                                                                                    Thats not a knock on Kia, as ND wont recruit ridealongs unless we think they can have success at ND (and they generally have). But the recruitment makes more sense if the staff thinks it will give them a leg up in the Tafiti recruitment.

                                                                                                    Comment

                                                                                                    Adsense

                                                                                                    Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X