Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'21 MN OL/TE Joe Alt (Notre Dame Signee)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '21 MN OL/TE Joe Alt (Notre Dame Signee)

Offensive Line/Tight End

Fridley, MN
    Totino Grace

Measurements:
    Ht: 6'7"
    Wt: 255

Rankings:
    247...................3*.....88..........Nat: 789.....St: 6.....Pos: 42
    247comp...........3*.....8567.......Nat: NR.....St: 7.....Pos: 75
    ESPN................NR.....NR..........Nat: NR.....St: NR.....Pos: NR
    Rivals................3*.....5.5.........Nat: NR.....St: NR.....Pos: NR

Offers:
    Iowa
    Iowa State
    Kansas State
    Minnesota
    Missouri
    Northwestern
    Notre Dame
    Last edited by clashmore_mike; 12-16-2020, 08:29 AM.
    Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Saw a big jump in the recent 247 rankings, is now on the cusp of a fourth star. https://247sports.com/Article/Rankin...ent-148261927/

Comment

He has a LOT of filling out to do if he was to move to OT. He looks pretty lean, not sure he passes the 250 eye test honestly.

But if he can bulk up and add strength without giving up that quick lateral movement I can certainly see why the hype is building.
      Last edited by Some Irish Bloke; 06-18-2020, 12:40 PM.
      My two favorite football teams: Notre Dame, and whoever's playing Michigan.

Comment

Originally posted by Some Irish Bloke View Post
        He has a LOT of filling out to do if he was to move to OT. He looks pretty lean, not sure he passes the 250 eye test honestly.

But if he can bulk up and add strength without moving that quick lateral movement I can certainly see why the hype is building.
        Dad played in NFL and brother is in the NHL so he comes from decent stock. I wouldn't bet against him.

Comment

Nice story (free) in SBT. Alt has an aunt, uncle and cousin who went to ND (probably husband, wife and child, they didn't say) and he wants to study engineering. Our chances are pretty good here, I think.

Said he was a 6-0 QB as a freshman, a LB as a soph, and a 6-7 TE as a Jr but he knows OT is his future.

Comment

Originally posted by stpeteirish View Post
            Nice story (free) in SBT. Alt has an aunt, uncle and cousin who went to ND (probably husband, wife and child, they didn't say) and he wants to study engineering. Our chances are pretty good here, I think.

Said he was a 6-0 QB as a freshman, a LB as a soph, and a 6-7 TE as a Jr but he knows OT is his future.
            Mcglinchey???
            Love You JB 64.....RIP.....AI720....4EVER

Comment

Originally posted by rtrn2glory View Post
              Mcglinchey???
              I wouldn't say no to another McGlinchey, especially if Alt has Big Mike's work ethic.

Comment

A couple of things coming out that sounds like ND is in a good position and soon.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Class of 2021 offensive tackle Joe Alt has learned just about all he needs to know about <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NotreDame?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Notre Dame</a> football.<br><br>That said, he spent the last two weeks learning a ton about the academic opportunities offered in South Bend.<br><br>Story: <a href="https://t.co/cwqjjjsbel">https://t.co/cwqjjjsbel</a> (VIP)<a href="https://twitter.com/247Sports?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@247Sports</a> <a href="https://t.co/063KpCuXk1">pic.twitter.com/063KpCuXk1</a></p>&mdash; Tom Loy (@TomLoy247) <a href="https://twitter.com/TomLoy247/status/1278786082910470147?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 2, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Comment

Matt Freeman throwing down an ND prediction earlier today. Premium thread for those that have ISD.

https://irishsportsdaily.com/forums/1/topics/48683

Comment

Irish CBs are rolling in, including one from an Iowa guy.

Maybe this'll be official tonight.
                    Last edited by arrowryan; 07-05-2020, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by arrowryan View Post
                      Irish CBs are rolling in, including one from an Iowa guy.

Maybe this'll be official tonight.
                      It already happened. The sites are just getting a 24-48 hr lead to produce their commitment pieces. Boom!

Comment

Really like the idea of Alt and possibly Evans for this OL class. A 2 year haul of Baker, Carmody, Fisher, Spindler, Coogan, Alt, and maybe Evans is a nice group.

And with the possible start to 22’ OL recruiting, I don’t think there should be many worries here.

Comment

Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
                          It already happened. The sites are just getting a 24-48 hr lead to produce their commitment pieces. Boom!

This, and I'd lead towards the 24 hour estimate. Although, if he pulls a Barnes and releases a top list instead, I'd still feel good about this one.

With what we have in this class/last class/two classes ago, we don't need an immediate impact tackle prospect. Clearly, the staff agrees considering the pursuit of the 6'7" plus 'project' prospects. If you're not gonna land a Rucci, find the highest upside guy you can land. That's why I would have been cool with Bounds despite the rankings, and why I'm cool with Alt.

All things considered, I'm more excited about Alt than I would have been for Bounds or Caleb Johnson, and that's not sour grapes. I mean, his dad was 6'8", a first round pick, played over a decade in the league, was two time All Pro/one time second team All Pro. I can understand the services not wanting to rank a 250 lb OL as a four star, but who the hell would bet against this kid?

Also, kind of fun to see his dad was born in Germany. Reminds you of the other high upside German on the roster. Everyone is gonna star chase, but if you're gonna land a "three star," screw the high floor guys. Give me Alt, Ehrensberger, Kiser, JOK, Ogundeji. Give me an elite frame/elite athlete. Might not hit on all of them, but when you do, you've got a monster.

Comment

Committed

Comment

Boom!

Welcome to ND Joe!

Comment

Notre Dame does well with Minnesota kids. Looking forward to seeing this guy after he gets a chance to beef up.
                                Based Mullet Kid owns

Comment

Solid pickup

Comment

Cool beans

Sent from my SM-J337U using Tapatalk

Comment

Absolutely blows my mind. All this talent at OL and we cant pay a RB to come run behind them.

Comment

The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                                        Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

Welcome aboard Joe!

Comment

Welcome to Notre Dame Joe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

the Alternator

Comment

Originally posted by Wingman Ray View Post
                                                Absolutely blows my mind. All this talent at OL and we cant pay a RB to come run behind them.
                                                Easy now, I think this is the last resort. Don't be so hasty.

Welcome to ND Joe!
                                                My two favorite football teams: Notre Dame, and whoever's playing Michigan.

Comment

Nice

Comment

Sounds like Iowa canning their S&C really helped out here.

Comment

Originally posted by pumpdog20 View Post
                                                      Sounds like Iowa canning their S&C really helped out here.
                                                      & apparently Tim Grunhard and his dad, John Alt connected and that swung the deal to ND.
                                                      What did Davonte do?

Comment

Welcome to ND. I don’t see he being an impact starter but you have to have quality backups.
                                                        Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

Originally posted by irishff1014 View Post
                                                          Welcome to ND. I donít see he being an impact starter but you have to have quality backups.
                                                          I don't think that's the mindset with a prospect like this. He's a low floor high ceiling prospect. He hasn't played much OT if any, but he has the length and athleticism to be a top tier offensive tackle in the vein of some of the better left tackles that have been through here.

If you land Splinder and Fisher, Alt's a great pickup. If you whiff on Splinder, you have a lot more riding on a wild card then you would like.

Comment

Originally posted by benneboy View Post
                                                            I don't think that's the mindset with a prospect like this. He's a low floor high ceiling prospect. He hasn't played much OT if any, but he has the length and athleticism to be a top tier offensive tackle in the vein of some of the better left tackles that have been through here.

If you land Splinder and Fisher, Alt's a great pickup. If you whiff on Splinder, you have a lot more riding on a wild card then you would like.
                                                            Completely agree with the first part. If he isn't able to bulk up, he'll never sniff the two deep. But if he is able to put on the weight, and his pedigree suggests it's probable, he could be special.

As to the second part, Spindler is a guard only, and Alt is a tackle only. Not sure landing Spindler really moves the needle on Alt thaat much, especially with Baker and Carmody in the last class, and Kristofic before them. Missing Spindler could perhaps eventually pull a Carmody inside which would put more pressure on Alt, but he is still gonna be locked in the weight room for two-three years regardless.

Comment

Nice pick up for the Irish!

Land Spindler and we'll have a solid OL for this class.

Comment

I think he shows some real promise as a run blocker at TE, that should translate to OT. Like Jamie explains, not much pass blocking film to evaluate but his movements skills should translate.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.<a href="https://twitter.com/jamieuyeyama?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@JamieUyeyama</a> takes a look at Notre Dame newest 2021 OL commit Joe Alt, who played TE last year. <a href="https://t.co/I3YwpJli7B">https://t.co/I3YwpJli7B</a></p>&mdash; Irish Sports Daily (@ISDUpdate) <a href="https://twitter.com/ISDUpdate/status/1280237808003829761?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 6, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Comment

McGlinchey was listed at 6'8 275 at 247 and I believe und.com had him at 280 at NSD. So, it's not like a kid that is 6'7 260, as a HS Junior, is that far off that number. It's really about what this kid looks like when he's 21-23.

Comment

Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
                                                                    McGlinchey was listed at 6'8 275 at 247 and I believe und.com had him at 280 at NSD. So, it's not like a kid that is 6'7 260, as a HS Junior, is that far off that number. It's really about what this kid looks like when he's 21-23.
                                                                    This. He's not a project, but more of a developmental player. He should be ready to contribute when he's a junior.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                                                                      This. He's not a project, but more of a developmental player. He should be ready to contribute when he's a junior.
                                                                      I'm not sure what you mean by this, but he's never played OL before. He's a project.

Comment

Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
                                                                        It's certainly not out of the realm of possibility for him to add plenty of weight. My HS LT was 6-7 265 our senior year, by the time he got done with his RS freshman year at Purdue.....he was pushing 340 and about 7% body fat. His upper body ballooned and it was all pure muscle

Comment

Originally posted by fightingirish26 View Post
                                                                          I'm not sure what you mean by this, but he's never played OL before. He's a project.

As was Joe Staley

Comment

Originally posted by Sherm Sticky View Post
                                                                            As was Joe Staley

So was Tate Nichols.

Comment

• #39
                                                                              Originally posted by Ndaccountant View Post
                                                                              So was Tate Nichols.
                                                                              Don't really know what Nichols could've been, given his knee gave up on him and ended his career. I had to look up Nichols' 247 profile and boy, does that picture fully encapsulate his time at ND. Nothing but injury after injury.
                                                                              It's Just a Ride.

Comment

• #40
                                                                                Sorry fellas. Gonna be hard for me to get excited about guys like Joe Alt and Pat Coogan. Good kids, will fit well at ND, but they are projects.

ND can't recruit like Bama and Georgia does at positions such as WR, DB, and RB. But they can and have to recruit elite dudes on the Oline to stay competitive.
                                                                                The yellow mustard pants are hideous and have to go.

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  Originally posted by Crazy Balki View Post
                                                                                  Don't really know what Nichols could've been, given his knee gave up on him and ended his career. I had to look up Nichols' 247 profile and boy, does that picture fully encapsulate his time at ND. Nothing but injury after injury.
                                                                                  Right, but he was one of those "profile" type recruits. Simply put, his body couldn't handle it. I am sure if you went and looked at all of the guys signing LOI's to places similar to (insert MAC school here) you will find stories just like Tate. The point is, there are certainly stories out there like Nick Martin, Joe Staley, etc. The problem is, the "hit rate" on something like that is significantly different than hit rates on top tier talent.

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    Originally posted by Polish Leppy 22 View Post
                                                                                    Sorry fellas. Gonna be hard for me to get excited about guys like Joe Alt and Pat Coogan. Good kids, will fit well at ND, but they are projects.

ND can't recruit like Bama and Georgia does at positions such as WR, DB, and RB. But they can and have to recruit elite dudes on the Oline to stay competitive.
                                                                                    If Spindler hops on board, it can give the OL class a decent grade, call it a B+. But if they whiff on him....

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      Originally posted by Polish Leppy 22 View Post

Not every kid is going to be elite or a multi year starter. The 3 star/borderline 4 star recruits are what make up a teamís foundation. Coogan deserves a lot more respect on these boards, as his offer list is very impressive. If they get Spindler, then that makes up a good o-line class.

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        Originally posted by Ndaccountant View Post
                                                                                        Right, but he was one of those "profile" type recruits. Simply put, his body couldn't handle it. I am sure if you went and looked at all of the guys signing LOI's to places similar to (insert MAC school here) you will find stories just like Tate. The point is, there are certainly stories out there like Nick Martin, Joe Staley, etc. The problem is, the "hit rate" on something like that is significantly different than hit rates on top tier talent.
                                                                                        I mean, ND had guys like Matt Hegarty, Christian Lombard and Hunter Bivin, who were top tier talent and didn't pan out.

I'm also pretty sure McGlinchey was the lowest ranked OL in that stacked 2013 class with guys like Elmer, Bivin and McGovern and he turned out to be the best talent of the group by a wide margin.

I wouldn't say his body not being able to handle it had to do with his frame. Sometimes, guys get hurt and can't stay healthy. Shaun Crawford wasn't a profile recruit, but he sure as hell has had problems with injuries. I'm just saying Nichols' issue wasn't an inability to translate his talent to the OL, but his injuries.
                                                                                        It's Just a Ride.

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          Originally posted by fightingirish26 View Post
                                                                                          He has the athleticism to develop into a good tackle. A project to me is one where they need to develop their athleticism, body, technique, etc.

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            Originally posted by Crazy Balki View Post
                                                                                            I mean, ND had guys like Matt Hegarty, Christian Lombard and Hunter Bivin, who were top tier talent and didn't pan out.

I'm also pretty sure McGlinchey was the lowest ranked OL in that stacked 2013 class with guys like Elmer, Bivin and McGovern and he turned out to be the best talent of the group by a wide margin.

I wouldn't say his body not being able to handle it had to do with his frame. Sometimes, guys get hurt and can't stay healthy. Shaun Crawford wasn't a profile recruit, but he sure as hell has had problems with injuries. I'm just saying Nichols' issue wasn't an inability to translate his talent to the OL, but his injuries.
                                                                                            I will see if I find the article, but there was NFL draft looking at history of recruiting rankings and draft picks. IIRC, there was something like a 4 to 5 fold increase in likelihood of highly ranked OL getting drafted versus 3*'s. The overall rate of the highly recruited guys making it was still close to 50/50, again, IIRC.

I could be messing up the numbers slightly, but I don't believe they are significantly off. I will see what I can find, but the %'s are not great.

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              Some good stuff here from Jamie Uyeyama (with GIFs) and from Alt's coach.

Film Don't Lie | Joe Alt

Coach | Notre Dame OL Commit Joe Alt Has Tools To Make Transition

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                .9972 5* Tommy Brockermeyer
                                                                                                .9897 4* Nolan Rucci
                                                                                                .9757 4* Landon Tengwall
                                                                                                .9749 4* Rocco Spindler
                                                                                                .9746 4* Blake Fisher
                                                                                                .9644 4* Garrett Dellinger
                                                                                                .9640 4* Wyatt Milum
                                                                                                .9480 4* Ben Christman
                                                                                                .9089 4* Greg Crippen
                                                                                                .8904 4* Caleb Johnson
                                                                                                .8701 3* Pat Coogan
                                                                                                .8661 3* Joe Alt
                                                                                                .8628 3* Tristan Bounds

The bottom line is this is who ND got on campus and offered during this cycle. Theyíre coming out with one top guy and two of the bottom 3 ranked guys theyíve offered. Thatís just not good enough. Coronavirus can be blamed. Having a stacked roster can be blamed but the bottom line is without Spindler right now the class is subpar. Especially considering how many guys were already on campus in this group and how many had really serious interest in ND. Thatís not to say I donít like Alt or Coogan but theyíre less exciting than Tengwall, Rucci, Milum, and maybe Dellinger who were all planning on being on campus in March.

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                                                                                                  He has the athleticism to develop into a good tackle. A project to me is one where they need to develop their athleticism, body, technique, etc.
                                                                                                  Yeah, they need to develop Alt's body and technique. He's 260 and has extremely minimal pass blocking experience.

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    Originally posted by NDMIA View Post
                                                                                                    .9972 5* Tommy Brockermeyer
                                                                                                    .9897 4* Nolan Rucci
                                                                                                    .9757 4* Landon Tengwall
                                                                                                    .9749 4* Rocco Spindler
                                                                                                    .9746 4* Blake Fisher
                                                                                                    .9644 4* Garrett Dellinger
                                                                                                    .9640 4* Wyatt Milum
                                                                                                    .9480 4* Ben Christman
                                                                                                    .9089 4* Greg Crippen
                                                                                                    .8904 4* Caleb Johnson
                                                                                                    .8701 3* Pat Coogan
                                                                                                    .8661 3* Joe Alt
                                                                                                    .8628 3* Tristan Bounds

The bottom line is this is who ND got on campus and offered during this cycle. They’re coming out with one top guy and two of the bottom 3 ranked guys they’ve offered. That’s just not good enough. Coronavirus can be blamed. Having a stacked roster can be blamed but the bottom line is without Spindler right now the class is subpar. Especially considering how many guys were already on campus in this group and how many had really serious interest in ND. That’s not to say I don’t like Alt or Coogan but they’re less exciting than Tengwall, Rucci, Milum, and maybe Dellinger who were all planning on being on campus in March.
                                                                                                    5 OL can play at a time, and rotation doesn't usually exist. In just two classes you could have an OL of:

Baker - Spindler - Coogan - Fisher - Carmody

With Alt being a potential star as well if things go to plan.

Plus Carroll, Correll and Kristofic have 4 years of eligibility remaining (early reports on Olmstead have been a bit disappointing thus far). Yeah it was disappointing to miss on Tengwall etc but we still have fantastic depth in talent on the OL.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X