Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'21 MN OL Joe Alt (Notre Dame Signee)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Just what I was afraid of... Fish, Tosh & Alt being in your best 5. Alt just couldn't stay skinny until '24, could he?

    Comment


    • Originally posted by dublinirish View Post
      per ISD podcast word from the Gug is that the staff is very impressed by Alt so far
      Per Pete Sampson (Shamrock Podcast)
      Tommy Rees (guest) said that they expected Alt to come in as a project (strength wise).
      Rees said Alt came in, not, as a project lol

      Comment


      • Comment


        • His Twitter profile pic. Gives you an idea of how good that weight looks on him.

          Comment


          • Comment


            • I didn'ty know they made shoes that big

              Comment


              • And he looks like a baby. If he keeps the movement skills that he had as a TE in 2019, he’s a future early round pick. They just don’t make many like this.

                Comment


                • Future Joe Staley?

                  Comment


                  • Moved up to second team RT.

                    Comment


                    • Well, the future is now for a lot of these young guys. Let’s hope they size these opportunities not only on Saturdays but during the week.

                      Comment


                      • Blake, Rocco, Joe...going to be seeing these guys in the NFL...

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by FightingIrishLover7 View Post
                          Blake, Rocco, Joe...going to be seeing these guys in the NFL...
                          this is turning out to be one heck of a OL class.

                          Comment


                          • did joe alt get any playing time vs Toledo?

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by IRISHMAN View Post
                              did joe alt get any playing time vs Toledo?
                              I don't believe so, but will he this weekend ....

                              Comment


                              • BK said he will be rotating in interior OL against purdue but what about joe alt, does he see any game action this weekend.

                                Comment


                                • Originally posted by IRISHMAN View Post
                                  BK said he will be rotating in interior OL against purdue but what about joe alt, does he see any game action this weekend.
                                  kristofic, spindler, dirk 1st 3 in
                                  EMPTY SPACE WAITING FOR THE NEXT HOT TAKE

                                  Comment


                                  • Alt is not the answer this year. Still very developmental, but he's an athlete with incredible upside. Certainly underrated as a prospect.

                                    Comment


                                    • I love the upside here. Think he could be really good.

                                      Comment


                                      • He should be the starting LT going forward. And, at first watch, Lugg played better. I’d like to see Carmody get some snaps at RT.

                                        Comment


                                        • Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
                                          He should be the starting LT going forward. And, at first watch, Lugg played better. I’d like to see Carmody get some snaps at RT.
                                          Agree with all of this. Alt straight up had some ugly rookie mistakes but his compete level and motor are super high. His fundamentals as a true frosh are higher and their is definitely NFL upside there.

                                          Comment


                                          • Fisher and Alt get me all hot for the future. To weird to say?

                                            Comment


                                            • Originally posted by Sherm Sticky View Post
                                              Fisher and Alt get me all hot for the future. To weird to say?
                                              Coming from you??? Nah
                                              This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

                                              Comment


                                              • So no credit to Quinn for the eval here and for getting him ready to play by week 6 as a frosh?
                                                Prehistoric

                                                Comment


                                                • Originally posted by NDdomer2 View Post
                                                  So no credit to Quinn for the eval here and for getting him ready to play by week 6 as a frosh?
                                                  I’ve given Quinn a ton of credit for Alt. But, the fact we had to go through all this to get here means the totality of the job he’s done is not good.

                                                  Also, considering he’s the 3rd guy they tried post Fisher injury and he’s the best option, makes me wonder what he evaluates on a daily basis. If Alt was the first guy they went too. I’d be like great job. If he’s the 3rd guy and clearly the best, I’m like, you’re not very good at this. He was forced to play Alt. How long are we still waiting for this if Carmody and Baker never get hurt.

                                                  BK made a comment in one of his recent pressers about nobody walking through that door to help. As in, there is no free agency and they are stuck with this group. Well, the fact of the matter is, we had two answers (Alt and Kristofic) on the roster the whole time. We just didn’t play them. That’s on the coaches, mainly Quinn. His job had to be on the line for him to get the right lineup in. Overall that’s not a good job.

                                                  Comment


                                                  • It’s not unreasonable to think that, being a Freshmen, Joe Alt has made some improvements over the season so far. Also wasn’t he initially working with the TEs to start the season? So maybe he needed some time to adjust before the coaches felt comfortable throwing him in.
                                                    .....Before I Get Out

                                                    Comment


                                                    • Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post

                                                      I’ve given Quinn a ton of credit for Alt. But, the fact we had to go through all this to get here means the totality of the job he’s done is not good.

                                                      Also, considering he’s the 3rd guy they tried post Fisher injury and he’s the best option, makes me wonder what he evaluates on a daily basis. If Alt was the first guy they went too. I’d be like great job. If he’s the 3rd guy and clearly the best, I’m like, you’re not very good at this. He was forced to play Alt. How long are we still waiting for this if Carmody and Baker never get hurt.

                                                      BK made a comment in one of his recent pressers about nobody walking through that door to help. As in, there is no free agency and they are stuck with this group. Well, the fact of the matter is, we had two answers (Alt and Kristofic) on the roster the whole time. We just didn’t play them. That’s on the coaches, mainly Quinn. His job had to be on the line for him to get the right lineup in. Overall that’s not a good job.
                                                      I hear what you are sayin regarding LT. But it is very possible that Alt just was not ready earlier in the season. We all knew coming in that Alt was talented but very very very raw. I don’t blame Quinn for rolling out the more experienced players until they felt Alt was ready to compete at this level. We are half way through the season not game one at FSU. A lot of time to prep Alt has passed now.

                                                      Comment


                                                      • It’s not just Alt. It’s Kristofic as well. And he’s been in the roster for years.

                                                        Do I think there is a chance that those two are improving? Of course I do. Do I think that’s because they’re getting a chance to play and practice more? Of course I do. Which is why those evals happening sooner, matters. We shouldn’t have had to put out the worst OL during Kelly’s tenure for us to get to a position where we are giving these guys chances to earn something. That should’ve been immediate. That’s why I’ve been talking about these so called standards.

                                                        If there are standards in that room then anybody that isn’t reaching that standard should be ceding reps to those that may. It took us this dumpster fire to finally work towards that. It’s just like in 2016, it took our season getting blown up for Kelly to realize what was happening on defense and with S&C. And, that it had started much earlier than that. We shouldn’t need to get to this point, ever, with any position group. That’s not a standard. That’s called complacency

                                                        Comment


                                                        • Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
                                                          It’s not just Alt. It’s Kristofic as well. And he’s been in the roster for years.

                                                          Do I think there is a chance that those two are improving? Of course I do. Do I think that’s because they’re getting a chance to play and practice more? Of course I do. Which is why those evals happening sooner, matters. We shouldn’t have had to put out the worst OL during Kelly’s tenure for us to get to a position where we are giving these guys chances to earn something. That should’ve been immediate. That’s why I’ve been talking about these so called standards.

                                                          If there are standards in that room then anybody that isn’t reaching that standard should be ceding reps to those that may. It took us this dumpster fire to finally work towards that. It’s just like in 2016, it took our season getting blown up for Kelly to realize what was happening on defense and with S&C. And, that it had started much earlier than that. We shouldn’t need to get to this point, ever, with any position group. That’s not a standard. That’s called complacency
                                                          I’m going to throwout an idea I have been pondering. The 2019 OL was a veteran group right? The majority of that starting group came back for 2020 season right. Covid struck March 2020 and there was no spring practice right? The 2019 recruits like Kristofic went through 2019 fall camp and the season, but were on the practice squad mostly right? Kristofic and the 2019 class missed the all important first spring practice in their careers right? And we can all agree the biggest jump in improvement/development take place between freshman and sophomore year especially oline right? That 2019 oline class missed that important 2020 spring practice, the 2020 fall practice and the 2020 season was all jacked up due to Covid. Guys having to be quarantined and missing time etc. Add on top of that the ND 2020 starting line were all starters in previous seasons. So how much meaningful reps did guys like Kristofic actually get in 2019-2020. So that brings us to spring 2021 and the staff now has to start evaluating the oline basically from scratch, outside of Patterson and Lugg of course. I think we can all agree the most important aspect of having a good offensive line is having a unit that has jelled and is one cohesive unit. Which hopefully it seems the team is getting close to this year. So I wonder having 5 returning starters in 2020, no spring practice in 2020 and a fucked up Covid 2020 fall set back the development and evaluation of the oline and caused the issues we have seen in 2021. As it seems now the coaching staff have a better evaluation of the players and are starting to put together a cohesive group.

                                                          This is just I thought I have been having. And y’all can completely disagree with me and say I’m dumb. Well I am dumb that is true. But I do think those factors in 2020 may be the root cause of the oline issues experienced the first half of this season.
                                                          Last edited by Sherm Sticky; 10-10-2021, 12:38 PM.

                                                          Comment


                                                          • I’ve been thinking the same thing, Sherm. There is an incredible number of teams with malfunctioning offensive lines.

                                                            I am curious to go back and rewatch the VT game and see what apparent improvements were just the opposing defense reconfiguring at the half to a passive front for Buchner (which worked) and maybe failing to adjust again for Coan.

                                                            Comment


                                                            • Originally posted by NDdomer2 View Post
                                                              So no credit to Quinn for the eval here and for getting him ready to play by week 6 as a frosh?
                                                              No. It shouldn't take 6 games, half your season, to establish your line. Quinn had the same problem last time we reloaded. The sample size is obviously small too, we have no idea if this game was a one off or if the line crumbles in the next game.

                                                              Comment


                                                              • Originally posted by ulukinatme View Post

                                                                No. It shouldn't take 6 games, half your season, to establish your line. Quinn had the same problem last time we reloaded. The sample size is obviously small too, we have no idea if this game was a one off or if the line crumbles in the next game.
                                                                Alt wasn't an EE though, so it might have actually taken Alt this long...
                                                                (with that said, I'm anti Quinn, just playing devils advocate).

                                                                Comment


                                                                • Originally posted by NDdomer2 View Post
                                                                  So no credit to Quinn for the eval here and for getting him ready to play by week 6 as a frosh?
                                                                  Not on this board. Quinn is trash. Amazing how good the line looked when we took out the human Traffic Coan. The line has obviously been bad but I think the QB and some of the play calling has made things much worse. Most seem to think the opposite. Either way, I hope we build off yesterday’s performance.
                                                                  "The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood." - Lou Holtz

                                                                  Comment


                                                                  • Originally posted by ulukinatme View Post

                                                                    No. It shouldn't take 6 games, half your season, to establish your line. Quinn had the same problem last time we reloaded. The sample size is obviously small too, we have no idea if this game was a one off or if the line crumbles in the next game.

                                                                    Kek. That's such an arbitrary number. If you don't git gud in 4.25 games u suck!?!?!?! Internet hot takes for days.

                                                                    Comment


                                                                    • Originally posted by NDRock View Post

                                                                      Not on this board. Quinn is trash. Amazing how good the line looked when we took out the human Traffic Coan. The line has obviously been bad but I think the QB and some of the play calling has made things much worse. Most seem to think the opposite. Either way, I hope we build off yesterday’s performance.
                                                                      I disagree. If the O-line keeps getting better from yesterdays standard Quinn should definitely stay. He would have overcome some big challenges including departures, injuries, last seasons covid impact.

                                                                      Comment


                                                                      • Hell no

                                                                        Comment


                                                                        • Originally posted by Armyirish47 View Post


                                                                          Kek. That's such an arbitrary number. If you don't git gud in 4.25 games u suck!?!?!?! Internet hot takes for days.
                                                                          What's arbitrary? It took half the season to get the line steady and it cost us at least one winnable game and nearly some others. Nobody expects someone to reload an OL and be flawless week one, but Harry usually had kinks worked out in a week or two tops. If your boss asked you to deliver something in a week or two and it took you 6 or more would that reflect positively on your job performance? Quinn had one job effectively, and it's one of the most important jobs on the team. If you're losing in the trenches you going to have a hard time scoring points, and you need points to win the game.

                                                                          Comment


                                                                          • Originally posted by Pops Freshenmeyer View Post
                                                                            I’ve been thinking the same thing, Sherm. There is an incredible number of teams with malfunctioning offensive lines.

                                                                            I am curious to go back and rewatch the VT game and see what apparent improvements were just the opposing defense reconfiguring at the half to a passive front for Buchner (which worked) and maybe failing to adjust again for Coan.
                                                                            Pops….I love you man!

                                                                            Comment


                                                                            • Originally posted by Sherm Sticky View Post

                                                                              Pops….I love you man!
                                                                              I think you may be onto something. You can love me as well.

                                                                              Comment


                                                                              • Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post

                                                                                I think you may be onto something. You can love me as well.
                                                                                Irish #1 You and me go way back so you already know this!

                                                                                Comment


                                                                                • Originally posted by ulukinatme View Post

                                                                                  What's arbitrary? It took half the season to get the line steady and it cost us at least one winnable game and nearly some others. Nobody expects someone to reload an OL and be flawless week one, but Harry usually had kinks worked out in a week or two tops. If your boss asked you to deliver something in a week or two and it took you 6 or more would that reflect positively on your job performance? Quinn had one job effectively, and it's one of the most important jobs on the team. If you're losing in the trenches you going to have a hard time scoring points, and you need points to win the game.
                                                                                  Ah yes, the mythos of Harry. Should have known.

                                                                                  There is a reason when anyone discusses top returning o-lines in college football the first number they cite is the number of starts of returning players. It was thoroughly predictable that not only would our o-line need some time to come together it was going to be a weakness for an extended period. Just because YOU have decided one or two weeks is reasonable based on the imaginary Hiestand Principle doesn't make it so. Quinn's one job is to coach up his guys enough to win ball games. 5 - 1 this year. 26 - 6 over 3. That's pretty pretty good work performance*

                                                                                  Alt should be held up as an exemplar of development and instead we double down on narrative because....reasons!!!


                                                                                  *not internet hot take related

                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                  • I believe that there are valid points in many of these comments. What I do think os missing from all of this is the conversation about not only the loss of 4 lineman but also the loss of Ian Book. Just as much of 5 guys playing together and jelling as a unit, the QB is a huge factor. There is a rhythm with how the QB moves and plays the sync with OL-men. Coan might be the "experienced" guy who can calm things down. He's also a liability do to him being a pure pocket passer. That allows D coordinators ro tee up the bliz packages against Coan. This hinders OL development. I always believe that D's have the advantage the first couple games while the O gets there chemistry back. In this case, they have to figure out what that chemistry even is. Fisher out at half of the FSU game due to torn MCL. Carmody and Baker get hurt the next few games. Joe Alt plays TE to help blocking and then moves from practicing at RT to playing LT! Yes, he was a TE in HS and is now playing LT as a true freshman at ND, impressive! As a coaching staff with the extreme changeover from last season, they have done well. If they get end the season with only 1 loss, they did extremely well dealing and preparing those kids to play at this level. Its easy to sit back and critique but if you prepare and gameplan the perfect game then loss a QB, many OLmen and your starting stud TE to come away with a W, as a coaching staff your doing ok. Now whats more impressive is the upside of this team. All the experience these freshman(OL,WR,QB,RB) are getting and building on, future is bright!!!!!!!!!!!

                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                    • Just looked at his profile. In May of 2020, he's listed at 255lbs. The ND rosters shows him at 305lbs. That's a big gain in a relatively short period of time. Balis getting it done.

                                                                                      Comment


                                                                                      • Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                                                                                        Just looked at his profile. In May of 2020, he's listed at 255lbs. The ND rosters shows him at 305lbs. That's a big gain in a relatively short period of time. Balis getting it done.
                                                                                        His genetics played a big factor too. His dad was also a HS TE that blew up around senior year to eventually become an NFL olineman. His dad I'm sure also had him with a trainer.
                                                                                        Again, not taking away from Balis just saying there's more going on why Alt can do this but a Caleb Johnson may not.

                                                                                        Comment


                                                                                        • Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                                                                                          Just looked at his profile. In May of 2020, he's listed at 255lbs. The ND rosters shows him at 305lbs. That's a big gain in a relatively short period of time. Balis getting it done.
                                                                                          I think he made that weight gain before he arrived in June. Still Balis gets credit, we put these kids on a program as soon as they sign.

                                                                                          Rather strange to think of how bad we are at LT and how good we look down the road at LT. Just my opinion but Fisher is the guy I'd move, he could be great at RT or even guard but Alt seems like LT is his only high upside position.

                                                                                          Comment


                                                                                          • Originally posted by FightingIrishLover7 View Post

                                                                                            His genetics played a big factor too. His dad was also a HS TE that blew up around senior year to eventually become an NFL olineman. His dad I'm sure also had him with a trainer.
                                                                                            Again, not taking away from Balis just saying there's more going on why Alt can do this but a Caleb Johnson may not.
                                                                                            dont forget pops was a punter too :D
                                                                                            What did Davonte do?

                                                                                            Comment


                                                                                            • Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                                                                                              Just looked at his profile. In May of 2020, he's listed at 255lbs. The ND rosters shows him at 305lbs. That's a big gain in a relatively short period of time. Balis getting it done.
                                                                                              It has been very impressive but he did most of that work in his own. He showed up to campus 290+

                                                                                              Comment


                                                                                              • Originally posted by dublinirish View Post

                                                                                                dont forget pops was a punter too :D
                                                                                                And brother plays in the NHL

                                                                                                Comment


                                                                                                • He must have been grinding and eating 247 to pick up that much before arriving. lol

                                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                                  • Originally posted by FightingIrishLover7 View Post

                                                                                                    His genetics played a big factor too. His dad was also a HS TE that blew up around senior year to eventually become an NFL olineman. His dad I'm sure also had him with a trainer.
                                                                                                    Again, not taking away from Balis just saying there's more going on why Alt can do this but a Caleb Johnson may not.
                                                                                                    How can we quickly foster a 30 year friendship between CBK and his dad? Need better line play like yesterday.

                                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                                    • Originally posted by Irish du Nord View Post

                                                                                                      And brother plays in the NHL
                                                                                                      could you imagine Joe Alt playing hockey. just stick him in front of the net and let him play goalie.

                                                                                                      Comment

                                                                                                      Adsense

                                                                                                      Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X