Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'21 LA RB Logan Diggs (Notre Dame Signee)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He's not good enough to play rb at ND anyway, let him go

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by FightingIrishLover7 View Post
      He's not good enough to play rb at ND anyway, let him go

Wow... now that is completely a trash comment...I mean he is only like all State running back in Louisiana.
      EMPTY SPACE WAITING FOR THE NEXT HOT TAKE

Comment

Will you be watching the Super Bowl? Cause you’ll see LSU pads underneath the RBs jerseys on both sides and I’d say we would be lucky to have a kid LSU wants in general

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
          It sounds like he hasn't fully made up his mind, but if he ultimately wants out ND isn't likely to force the issue. Been a developing situation for a few weeks. The reason not to do it is "precedent" but like... that's not a huge reason.

All I'll say is what I said around NSD -- the odds of a wishy washy player from the deep south who can't decide if he wants to be here ultimately panning out is very small. So I'm not losing sleep on this either way.
          Originally posted by ThePiombino View Post
          Yep. Rather lose him now than a year or two from now. Especially with the one-time free transfer rule.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
          Agree with both of you. While it would be great to get him, not going to be disappointed if we donít.

Comment

• Originally posted by dad4aa View Post
            Agree with both of you. While it would be great to get him, not going to be disappointed if we donít.
            You never know, he might get to ND from Louisiana and love it (as I look outside my window in Chicago at 10 inches of snow)...

Comment

• Originally posted by Valpodoc85 View Post
              I agree Simone should not get fired for this cycle but a hard look at recruiting wins and losses can only help for the future. We have had a run of “good” backs but none have been elite

I mean based on recruiting rankings I would say Chris Tyree was elite. Kyren played at an elite level in 2020. And both Kyren and Tyree could play at an elite level in 2021.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• How many rbs has Notre Dame put in the League in the last ten years? How many are starting backs and not just fillers? No knock on Kyren or Tyree, they are good backs but neither would be playing at Alabama. The best teams have outstanding players at skilled positions that put the defense in a bind. We are close but not there.

Comment

I agree Simone should not get fired for this cycle but a hard look at recruiting wins and losses can only help for the future. We have had a run of ďgoodĒ backs but none have been elite
                  If we're basing "elite" off of collegiate productivity, Kyren Williams says hi.

If we're basing "elite" off of recruiting rankings, Chris Tyree says hi.
                  It's Just a Ride.

Comment

How many rbs has Notre Dame put in the League in the last ten years? How many are starting backs and not just fillers? No knock on Kyren or Tyree, they are good backs but neither would be playing at Alabama. The best teams have outstanding players at skilled positions that put the defense in a bind. We are close but not there.
                    Uh, you really think Kyren wouldn't play at Alabama?

I can see him not starting over Najee, but he'd absolutely play. He gives you way too much versatility and considering his ability to protect the QB and catch out of the backfield, he'd be a natural fit in that offense.

Tyree would most likely also have a role, because he has that top-end speed that you need to get on the field in some capacity.
                    It's Just a Ride.

Comment

How many rbs has Notre Dame put in the League in the last ten years? How many are starting backs and not just fillers? No knock on Kyren or Tyree, they are good backs but neither would be playing at Alabama. The best teams have outstanding players at skilled positions that put the defense in a bind. We are close but not there.
                      Well, I do think Tyree would play at Bama and so did they. We beat out Bama for Tyree.

Comment

• Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
                        Well, I do think Tyree would play at Bama and so did they. We beat out Bama for Tyree.
                        Be honest though. At this stage, he wouldn't be an every down guy. I wouldn't be surprised though if he had more production though as far as AP goes.
                        The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                        Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

Using just the scary word Alabama as a measuring stick makes this silly from the beginning. Let’s actually use names and do this instead. 2021 Alabama probably has Trey Sanders who has never been healthy or showed his billing and a steady but no star in Brian Robinson? You’re 100% those two are better?

2021 OSU would they take Kyren/Tyree? Probably. Definitely over Teague and they have a true FR coming in which you’d probably bank on Kyren over him.

Clemson? Probably too. A mix of good recruits but none were able to even really give Etienne a consistent breather.

Do all 3 of these teams have recruits that could certainly explode past Kyren/Tyree? Sure. But to act like they wouldn’t touch the top teams is just silly

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
                            Be honest though. At this stage, he wouldn't be an every down guy. I wouldn't be surprised though if he had more production though as far as AP goes.
                            Sure and I didnít say he would. But that doesnít have anything to do with it. He said neither would play at Bama. Bama wanted one of them to play for them.

We always talk about recruiting guys that elite programs want. And then when we win those recruitments, they werenít that good to begin with. Silly stuff.

Comment

• Let him leave, we got Estime in this class who got a bump up in his ratings, and between Diggs and Estime I'd give the edge to Estime to faster PT. No Diggs=1 less scholarship.

Comment

Well, for me the bolded is BS. First, you state is was created "to avoid paying students" without any proof and obviously it is just your opinion.
                                Yikes sorry I thought this was common knowledge and didn't think I had to link to sources. See any of the 6 links spelling this out below. The most comprehensive is the first, which is a published paper from history profs at MSU. Basically in 1954 the NCAA was dragged into a worker's comp case so they invented the term "student-athlete" to claim that they weren't liable since the plaintiffs weren't "workers" at all. This isn't "just my opinion" at all...

https://history.msu.edu/hst329/files...nt-Athlete.pdf
                                https://www.riskmanagementmonitor.co...-workers-comp/
                                https://www.insidenu.com/2014/1/28/5...n-workers-comp
                                https://www.dailytarheel.com/article...term-editorial
                                https://deadspin.com/how-the-myth-of...orn-1524282374
                                https://www.aspeninstitute.org/blog-...ncaa-athletes/

Comment

• The NFL just needs to abandon the 3 year rule.

Let kids declare for the draft whenever they want. Form minor leagues so that college football can stop being their de facto minor leagues.

Let student athletes play school and football. Let the kids that have the pedigree and skills to focus on football.

Quit the stupid charade of forcing future draft picks to go to school for a few years just to qualify for the NFL. The ones that want to go to school still can. The ones that need to maximize their skills and money as fast as possible to take care of their families can do that.

Comment

Second, for most parents, including me who had a child receive a scholarship, to get a full ride to the equivalent of around $250,000 seems like a pretty good payment. Most athletes get to walk away from the university with a degree and no debt compared to most of his/her classmates that walk away with $50,000 to $150,000 of student loans.
                                    Idk, the market clearly shows that some athletes are worth way more than the value of a scholarship. If some posters on this board thought the work you did was only worth $35k/year (average annual cost of college), would it legally justify a cartel suppressing your wages to that value?

Comment

• Originally posted by House16 View Post
                                      Idk, the market clearly shows that some athletes are worth way more than the value of a scholarship. If some posters on this board thought the work you did was only worth $35k/year (average annual cost of college), would it legally justify a cartel suppressing your wages to that value?
                                      The economies of the world are built around exploiting the arbitrage that exists between the value that individuals create and that which they are given. No one gets paid the value they generate for their employer. In this case, the scholarship concept is a leveler---the value of the team is greater than the value of the scholarships, or there'd be no economic reason to have a team and the individual stars would have no value at all. That's without getting into all the Title IX complication.

Comment

• Originally posted by House16 View Post
                                        Yikes sorry I thought this was common knowledge and didn't think I had to link to sources. See any of the 6 links spelling this out below. The most comprehensive is the first, which is a published paper from history profs at MSU. Basically in 1954 the NCAA was dragged into a worker's comp case so they invented the term "student-athlete" to claim that they weren't liable since the plaintiffs weren't "workers" at all. This isn't "just my opinion" at all...

https://history.msu.edu/hst329/files...nt-Athlete.pdf
                                        https://www.riskmanagementmonitor.co...-workers-comp/
                                        https://www.insidenu.com/2014/1/28/5...n-workers-comp
                                        https://www.dailytarheel.com/article...term-editorial
                                        https://deadspin.com/how-the-myth-of...orn-1524282374
                                        https://www.aspeninstitute.org/blog-...ncaa-athletes/
                                        Originally posted by House16 View Post
                                        Appreciate the first quote as I had no idea that is where the term came from. Reps for that.

The second I again disagree. Some are worth more than their scholarships but there are many that are needed for the team to be able to run full practices and stuff but rarely/never see the field so not sure how you would measure their value. MNIrishman posted a great explanation.

Comment

• Originally posted by KellyIsIt View Post
                                          The NFL just needs to abandon the 3 year rule.

Let kids declare for the draft whenever they want. Form minor leagues so that college football can stop being their de facto minor leagues.

Let student athletes play school and football. Let the kids that have the pedigree and skills to focus on football.

Quit the stupid charade of forcing future draft picks to go to school for a few years just to qualify for the NFL. The ones that want to go to school still can. The ones that need to maximize their skills and money as fast as possible to take care of their families can do that.
                                          I thought the XFL did it all wrong. They should have been recruiting high school kids. Have an age limit of maybe 23 or 24. Scoop up all the non drafted FAs or the ones that get cut in camp and then scoop up as many HS kids as you can.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dale View Post
                                            Using just the scary word Alabama as a measuring stick makes this silly from the beginning. Let’s actually use names and do this instead. 2021 Alabama probably has Trey Sanders who has never been healthy or showed his billing and a steady but no star in Brian Robinson? You’re 100% those two are better?

2021 OSU would they take Kyren/Tyree? Probably. Definitely over Teague and they have a true FR coming in which you’d probably bank on Kyren over him.

Clemson? Probably too. A mix of good recruits but none were able to even really give Etienne a consistent breather.

Do all 3 of these teams have recruits that could certainly explode past Kyren/Tyree? Sure. But tolike they wouldn’t touch the top teams is just silly
                                            Points made are valid. What I’m trying to express is we don’t have Najee Harris or Ezekiel Elliott. But that supposes we can’t win a natty without one which is incorrect. I’ll let myself out now.

Comment

• Another aspect that tends to get overlooked is the availability of college athletics as a platform to show your worth to future professional sports employers. People can go around calling it a cartel all they want but there is an endless supply of kids that want to play football in college for a reason, just as there is a very large supply of kids that play juniors in hockey/join youth academies in European soccer. I'm sure those kids would take the 35K a year if given the chance.

Comment

Points made are valid. What Iím trying to express is we donít have Najee Harris or Ezekiel Elliott. But that supposes we canít win a natty without one which is incorrect. Iíll let myself out now.
                                                And again, to be fair, Chris Tyree's stats were better than both of those guys' freshman seasons. But to be fair to you as well, that means nothing unless he takes the jump that they did sophomore/junior year.

Comment

Quite an indictment on the coaching staff, youíre making.
                                                  It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rogue219 View Post
                                                    Quite an indictment on the coaching staff, you’re making.
                                                    Yeah.
                                                    Staff went all in on Shipley. Missed, scrambled for another back. Got a deep back up target. Meanwhile, they made up ground and got a better recruit.

He wouldn't see time at ND. He's already showing flakey signs, don't see that improving at ND.

Not disrespecting the kid, but if he wants PT, he needs to be more realistic with his options.

Comment

Yeah.
                                                      Staff went all in on Shipley. Missed, scrambled for another back. Got a deep back up target. Meanwhile, they made up ground and got a better recruit.

He wouldn't see time at ND. He's already showing flakey signs, don't see that improving at ND.

Not disrespecting the kid, but if he wants PT, he needs to be more realistic with his options.

You talk about a kid holding LOIs from ND and LSU like he should find a Sun Belt team to take him lol.

Comment

You talk about a kid holding LOIs from ND and LSU like he should find a Sun Belt team to take him lol.
                                                        Yeah, he's the one acting like it atm.
                                                        Notre Dame, by all accounts, did nothing wrong here other than go after a 2nd back. If he's afraid of the competition (assuming LSU has good backs too) he could go be a star at a Sun Belt school.

Comment

Yeah, he's the one acting like it atm.
                                                          Notre Dame, by all accounts, did nothing wrong here other than go after a 2nd back. If he's afraid of the competition (assuming LSU has good backs too) he could go be a star at a Sun Belt school.
                                                          lol they already have the 5th and 7th ranked RB's in their 2021 class. It was rumored though previously the saw Diggs as an ATH who could move to Linebacker..
                                                          What did Davonte do?

Comment

• Originally posted by dublinirish View Post
                                                            lol they already have the 5th and 7th ranked RB's in their 2021 class. It was rumored though previously the saw Diggs as an ATH who could move to Linebacker..
                                                            Exactly my point...
                                                            I don't see him as a fit for ND or LSU...
                                                            Sun Belt seems like a better fit, no italics. Maybe a real low level power 5 school.

Comment

• <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="und" dir="ltr"><a href="https://t.co/pNwR4vQXwL">https://t.co/pNwR4vQXwL</a></p>&mdash; Tom Loy (@TomLoy247) <a href="https://twitter.com/TomLoy247/status/1356295572676866048?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 1, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                                                              What did Davonte do?

Comment

• so Tim Prister on II podcast yesterday reckons Diggs has already signed his NLI with ND but is working to get out of it.
                                                                What did Davonte do?

Comment

so Tim Prister on II podcast yesterday reckons Diggs has already signed his NLI with ND but is working to get out of it.
                                                                  This is what the recruitniks seem to think is the most likely scenario.

But I've got to be honest, if a kid straight up doesn't want to come here, I can't imagine ND giving them a hard time on releasing them from their LOI.

However I don't think this is necessarily a "Diggs doesn't like ND" type of thing. I think it's more just that he was literally never able to visit. The NCAA really screwed kids like Logan who did not have the ability to fly around the country to the schools that were recruiting them. Up until LSU offered him, who would he have been able to easily visit on his own dime and commit to? Tulane?

The NCAA, refusing to just make special rules regarding the OVs of potential student-athletes, absolutely blew it.
                                                                  "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

• Originally posted by BeauBenken View Post
                                                                    This is what the recruitniks seem to think is the most likely scenario.

But I've got to be honest, if a kid straight up doesn't want to come here, I can't imagine ND giving them a hard time on releasing them from their LOI.

However I don't think this is necessarily a "Diggs doesn't like ND" type of thing. I think it's more just that he was literally never able to visit. The NCAA really screwed kids like Logan who did not have the ability to fly around the country to the schools that were recruiting them. Up until LSU offered him, who would he have been able to easily visit on his own dime and commit to? Tulane?

The NCAA, refusing to just make special rules regarding the OVs of potential student-athletes, absolutely blew it.
                                                                    Do you mean visit other schools or visit ND?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">My mom &amp; I really enjoyed ourselves at ND.. the campus is beautiful. Canít wait to be back <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/GoIrish?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#GoIrish </a> ☘️</p>&mdash; Logan Diggs (@logandiggs3) <a href="https://twitter.com/logandiggs3/status/1335643431364931585?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 6, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Comment

• Originally posted by fightingirish26 View Post

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">My mom &amp; I really enjoyed ourselves at ND.. the campus is beautiful. Canít wait to be back <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/GoIrish?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#GoIrish </a> ☘️</p>&mdash; Logan Diggs (@logandiggs3) <a href="https://twitter.com/logandiggs3/status/1335643431364931585?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 6, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                                                                      Yeah, he definitely visited.

This is because he feels hurt about ND going after another back.
                                                                      This isn't the kind of player that's going to take us to the next level anyway. I love the "c'bo" and "tjj" type of backs, but we need more Tyree / Estime recruits. Not a guy like Diggs.

If Diggs had that Kyren under the radar, all in, no fear mentality, I'd be feeling a little different.

Comment

• Originally posted by fightingirish26 View Post

Sorry I should rephrase.

He could never OFFICIALLY visit ND because of the NCAA. That means he couldn't interact with coaches or players officially while on campus and it hurts the development of those relationships.

Then LSU comes in and offers him a chance and he's probably been going to their campus for years? And they're the big in state school who just won a national championship last year?

I just feel bad for these players whose have to make life defining choices without getting the full experience of an official visit.
                                                                        "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

Yeah, he definitely visited.

This is because he feels hurt about ND going after another back.
                                                                          This isn't the kind of player that's going to take us to the next level anyway. I love the "c'bo" and "tjj" type of backs, but we need more Tyree / Estime recruits. Not a guy like Diggs.

If Diggs had that Kyren under the radar, all in, no fear mentality, I'd be feeling a little different.
                                                                          If this was the case, I am unsure why he would want to go to LSU who signed Corey Kiner and Armoni Goodwin.

Comment

• Momma's near.

Plus money.....

Comment

• Originally posted by BeauBenken View Post
                                                                              If this was the case, I am unsure why he would want to go to LSU who signed Corey Kiner and Armoni Goodwin.
                                                                              And he may not.

He wanted to be an RB above all, so ND got the nod over LSU. Finally, LSU offered him as an RB, meanwhile ND took Estime.

Now both schools "want him" at RB (he's not a top priority at either school) resulting in a "level playing field". If he's going to be a backup career, I see him doing that at LSU over ND.

Comment

And he may not.

He wanted to be an RB above all, so ND got the nod over LSU. Finally, LSU offered him as an RB, meanwhile ND took Estime.

Now both schools "want him" at RB (he's not a top priority at either school) resulting in a "level playing field". If he's going to be a backup career, I see him doing that at LSU over ND.
                                                                                Or maybe he was willing to leave his comfort zone to be the #1 option at RB in his class at ND... but now that he's not automatically the top dog, he's not necessarily willing to leave his comfort zone.

So it's not that he's afraid of competition. More that he's weighing the risk/reward of "Leaving Home vs Staying Home" in the context of where he sees his football career going.

Comment

• reminder that this kid is worth accommodating..

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Rummel RB Logan Diggs has been named to the La. Sportswriters <br>All-State Football team &amp; as the Stateís Most Outstanding Offensive Player <a href="https://twitter.com/ArchRUMMEL?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@ArchRUMMEL</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/RummelAlumni?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@RummelAlumni</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/ARHSStudentSec?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@ARHSStudentSe c</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/logandiggs3?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@logandiggs3</a> <a href="https://t.co/IX0XdYbFiM">pic.twitter.com/IX0XdYbFiM</a></p>&mdash; Catholic League Sports (@CatholicLeague_) <a href="https://twitter.com/CatholicLeague_/status/1353379766229999616?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 24, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                                                                                  What did Davonte do?

Comment

Isn't that a large part of the reason we initially beat them out for his verbal in the 1st place? He didn't want to play LB.

Comment

• Originally posted by ThePiombino View Post
                                                                                      Isn't that a large part of the reason we initially beat them out for his verbal in the 1st place? He didn't want to play LB.
                                                                                      He didn't have an LSU offer until very late in the process, so no.

Comment

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">New Irish defensive coordinator Marcus Freeman will address the Notre Dame beat media for the first time tomorrow.<br><br>Brian Kelly, Brian Polian, Mike Elston and Tommy Rees will also address reporters, starting at 2:30 eastern. Should be a newsy day.</p>&mdash; Pete Sampson (@PeteSampson_) <a href="https://twitter.com/PeteSampson_/status/1356717326301822976?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 2, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                                                                                        2 hours before Diggs’ announcement. If you’re into conspiracy

Comment

2 hours before Diggsí announcement. If youíre into conspiracy

Meaning......? Heís not coming and ND gets ahead of it. Or hints that heís coming.....? Not sure what you mean

Comment

• Originally posted by irishtrooper View Post
                                                                                            Meaning......? Heís not coming and ND gets ahead of it. Or hints that heís coming.....? Not sure what you mean
                                                                                            If you're announcing a signing you have to wait for the player to go first. Doesn't make sense to have the coaches speak and then come back two hours later with BTW we got so and so.

Comment

• Time to unveil a silent to distract from Diggs's LSU commitment?

Comment

• Originally posted by stpeteirish View Post
                                                                                                If you're announcing a signing you have to wait for the player to go first. Doesn't make sense to have the coaches speak and then come back two hours later with BTW we got so and so.

Ah, makes sense

Comment

• FWIW mike singer believes he sticks with ND. He said the drama with LSU might have been a little overblown. Also said he can’t guarantee anything.

Comment

• Diggs will announce at 4:30 EST on IG live apparently
                                                                                                    What did Davonte do?

Comment

• Sounds like ND and LSU are both saying it is 50-50. Family members like what ND offers long term.

Should be interesting. We'll know soon enough.

From a football standpoint, I want the kid to be at ND and flourish in every aspect of the college experience. That's just being a fan. Hopefully it all connects in ND's favor.
                                                                                                      It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X