Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'21 OH WR Lorenzo Styles Jr. (Notre Dame Early Enrollee)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I'll get shouted out of here but I am now hoping he can be talked into playing CB.
    Hand him the punt return duties and ask him to play D.
    He could make a difference straight away at CB while at WR he probably wont get on the field until half way through 2022 and have 5 total catches by the time he is a junior.

Comment

• My guess would be he’s an EE and turns heads at WR in the Spring. I’ll be the first to say that I think he’s more in the Will Fuller mold that gets run as a Freshman.

Folks forget that BK got both Fuller and Chris Brown on the field as freshman.

Comment

• Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
        My guess would be he’s an EE and turns heads at WR in the Spring. I’ll be the first to say that I think he’s more in the Will Fuller mold that gets run as a Freshman.

Folks forget that BK got both Fuller and Chris Brown on the field as freshman.
        Chances are he is more of an every other wide receiver (has to wait his time) we have had type guy.
        He will have Kevin A, Lenzy, Mayer, Keys, Davis, Tremble in front of him.
        Last edited by T-Boone; 12-27-2020, 11:30 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by T-Boone View Post
          Chances are he is more of an every other wide receiver (has to wait his time) we have had type guy.
          He will have Kevin A, Lenzy, Mayer, Keys, Davis, Tremble in front of him.
          At this point, I've seen nothing from Keys to indicate that he is going to stay in front of a guy like Styles. It wouldn't surprise me if ND exits spring practice with Styles as the #2 slot.
          It's Just a Ride.

Comment

• That’s not even a full 2 deep, lol. I never said he’ll start but I’ll bet he gets PT. Fuller only had 6 rec. for 160 yards and 1 TD as a freshman. But it was the prelude of what was to come.

Comment

Thatís not even a full 2 deep, lol. I never said heíll start but Iíll bet he gets PT. Fuller only had 6 rec. for 160 yards and 1 TD as a freshman. But it was the prelude of what was to come.
              Will Fuller did not have top CB potential.
              Lenzy did and we would be better off now if he chose CB rather than WR.

Comment

• Hey, I get it. I was on the Styles could be a game changer at CB a long time ago. This isn’t a new thing. But, all signs point that to that not being the case because they love him at WR. If you pick up on what Freeman at ISD has been saying, this is an elite WR prospect.

Comment

Hey, I get it. I was on the Styles could be a game changer at CB a long time ago. This isnít a new thing. But, all signs point that to that not being the case because they love him at WR. If you pick up on what Freeman at ISD has been saying, this is an elite WR prospect.
                  Okay cool, but I expect he will be in the garage for 2 years. I don't believe anything about WRs until they are juniors.

Comment

• Well, that probably depends on what your definition of the garage is. But it probably has more to do with your lack of perspective on Kelly’s WR versus Styles potential. ESB was close to a 1,000 yard WR in his second year. Will Fuller was a full blown superstar in his 2nd season. Corey Robinson was pretty productive over his first two. Heck, guys like CJ Sanders, Amir Carlisle, Tori Hunter, and Chris Brown were fairly productive in year 2. Then there is Kevin Stephenson who was a big contributor as a Freshman.
                    Last edited by Luckylucci; 12-28-2020, 01:43 AM.

Comment

• Some stats to support the above.

As Sophomores:
                      Fuller had 1094 yards and 15 TD’s
                      ESB had 961 yards and 9 TD’s
                      Corey Robinson had 539 yards and 5 TD’s.
                      CJ Prosise had 516 and 2 (second year on offense)
                      Davaris Daniels had 490 yards but 0 TD’s.
                      Chase Claypool had 402 yards and 2 TD’s.
                      Kevin Stephenson had 359 and 5. (Had 462 and 5 as a no name freshman).
                      Torii Hunter was 363 and 2
                      CJ Sanders was 293 and 2
                      Chris Brown had 209 and 1
                      Amir Carlisle had 309 and 3 (second year in the system)

TJ Jones had 62 catches his first two seasons. Went for 672 yards and 6 TD’s.
                      Last edited by Luckylucci; 12-28-2020, 02:14 AM.

Comment

• If you compare that to the opportunity the DBs get early (Love, Hamilton, Farley, Bracy, Lewis etc) he would potentially make a much bigger impact.

Comment

• Well, it’s all hypothetical really. What does he want to play? Who’s on the depth chart in front of him?

Shifting from WR’s don’t do anything until they’re Juniors to there’s more opportunity at CB. That’s probably true but it’s a completely different conversation than you putting a fake artificial ceiling on his potential over the first 2 years at WR.

If we take one of the best WR prospects of the Kelly era and put him on D, then folks will just complain about not having playmakers on O. And if he can get to the high end of the numbers of those above, say 700+ and 7+. Then you can’t really fault the staff for having him on offense. Depth chart sets up extremely well for him to play a big role in 22’.

Comment

Shifting from WR’s don’t do anything until they’re Juniors to there’s more opportunity at CB. That’s probably true but it’s a completely different conversation than you putting a fake artificial ceiling on his potential over the first 2 years at WR.
                            I haven't shifted. Those are the two angles of my argument. Firstly, new age BK (post 2016) does not play young WRs very much until they have his trust when they have a grey beard and secondly there is a lot of immediate need at CB and young DBs can make a big impact under BK.

Anyway, I'll quit I just keep seeing the impact Hamilton and Love etc made early. Imagine if we had Love, JOK and Hamilton in the same D.
                            Last edited by T-Boone; 12-28-2020, 03:20 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by T-Boone View Post
                              I haven't shifted. Those are the two angles of my argument. Firstly, new age BK (post 2016) does not play young WRs very much until they have his trust when they have a grey beard and secondly there is a lot of immediate need at CB and young DBs can make a big impact under BK.

Anyway, I'll quit I just keep seeing the impact Hamilton and Love etc made early. Imagine if we had Love, JOK and Hamilton in the same D.
                              There's a lot more to it than what you are insinuating.

Had guys like Stepherson or Austin not gotten in trouble, they'd have made huge impacts. It wasn't a hesitance to play young receivers that kept them off the field. It was their own actions.

It's also hard to expect a guy like Jordan Johnson to make an immediate impact when he didn't enroll early and the whole offseason was disrupted by COVID. Now, I'll be concerned if we're back here a year from now and he's yet to make an impact, barring something drastic.

Styles is going to have spring and a whole offseason to convince the staff that he needs to be involved.
                              It's Just a Ride.

Comment

• Originally posted by Crazy Balki View Post
                                There's a lot more to it than what you are insinuating.

Had guys like Stepherson or Austin not gotten in trouble, they'd have made huge impacts. It wasn't a hesitance to play young receivers that kept them off the field. It was their own actions.

It's also hard to expect a guy like Jordan Johnson to make an immediate impact when he didn't enroll early and the whole offseason was disrupted by COVID. Now, I'll be concerned if we're back here a year from now and he's yet to make an impact, barring something drastic.

Styles is going to have spring and a whole offseason to convince the staff that he needs to be involved.
                                This. It isn't like this is simply BK not wanting to play freshmen. So many factors and a number of them are out of BK's control.

Comment

• will wear #21 as a freshman

What did Davonte do?

Comment

• Whoever Sticky’d this is looking for heart attacks

edit: never mind, it’s sticky’d in the 2021 thread, not the home page.
                                    Last edited by Henges24; 02-18-2021, 03:52 PM.
                                    "Fvck Michigan" - The World

Comment

• Prime time
                                      Prehistoric

Comment

• Yea, he’s going to be a baller. I’m about as confident as I can be that he’s going to be a really good player.

Comment

• you guys think him wearing 21 is a sign he might start out as a DB? just fishing here
                                          What did Davonte do?

Comment

• Originally posted by dublinirish View Post
                                            you guys think him wearing 21 is a sign he might start out as a DB? just fishing here
                                            Nah, it's college lol

Comment

• Originally posted by ThePiombino View Post

Nah, it's college lol
                                              yeah still think he'd be a great DB but theres a heavy need for him at WR
                                              What did Davonte do?

Comment

yeah still think he'd be a great DB but theres a heavy need for him at WR
                                                Agreed, there's actually heavy need for him at both.

Comment

you guys think him wearing 21 is a sign he might start out as a DB? just fishing here
                                                  Maurice Stovall looked good catching passes as 21.

Comment

• Originally posted by notredomer23 View Post

Maurice Stovall looked good catching passes as 21.
                                                    Beat me to it, I was going to say "Maurice Stovall says hi"

Between him, Shark and Rhema McKnight, Brady sure did have some really nice weapons on the outside.
                                                    My two favorite football teams: Notre Dame, and whoever's playing Michigan.

Comment

• Originally posted by Some Irish Bloke View Post

Beat me to it, I was going to say "Maurice Stovall says hi"

Between him, Shark and Rhema McKnight, Brady sure did have some really nice weapons on the outside.
                                                      Few years back i went to see a Lions preseason practice and they had Titus Young, Maurice Stovall and Calvin Johnson in the 3 wide sets. Maurice looked huge and physically comparable to Johnson. Pity NFL never really worked out for him
                                                      What did Davonte do?

Comment

• Javin Hunter too before Stovall rocked 21 at receiver. I like it

Comment

• Comment

• Sinclair has also said he’s been very impressive so far.

He was a 5 star prospect that was taken for granted. He’s going to be a baller.

Comment

• I just hope he learns to block or whatever the coaches want him to learn so he can get on the field.

Comment

• folks on II podcast have said also Styles has impressed
                                                                What did Davonte do?

Comment

• Originally posted by SeekNDestroy View Post
                                                                  I just hope he learns to block or whatever the coaches want him to learn so he can get on the field.
                                                                  Traits

Comment

• Early rumblings are that Styles is the real deal. With all the consternation over a recent transfer, maybe this can be our young WR who makes a splash, his highlights are pretty good.

His acceleration almost looks impossible/sped up:

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/6045265...5e9c09b44789f7

Comment

• Originally posted by Trait Expectations View Post
                                                                      Early rumblings are that Styles is the real deal. With all the consternation over a recent transfer, maybe this can be our young WR who makes a splash, his highlights are pretty good.

Yes and yes. I was taking punches for saying I expected that to happen from the crowd that said we don't play young WR's ever.

Comment

Early rumblings are that Styles is the real deal. With all the consternation over a recent transfer, maybe this can be our young WR who makes a splash, his highlights are pretty good.

And he played big boy football in HS. He is doing this against good competition.

Comment

• And so it begins. Future All American taco pitchman.

Comment

• Comment

• Given ND's WR situation, if Styles and Colzie are ready I say play them.

Comment

• Originally posted by irishandy View Post
                                                                                Given ND's WR situation, if Styles and Colzie are ready I say play them.
                                                                                I say play them either way. Developing kids and getting them burn shouldn't be mutually exclusive concepts.

Comment

• On3 has always been the best rankings

Comment

• WTH is on3?

Comment

WTH is on3?
                                                                                      On Three? ONE spelled semi-numerically (043)? Who TF knows.

Comment

• The new Shannon Tracy concoction. Tracy's the guy who started Rivals and 247.

Comment

• Rivals kept toying with the idea of giving Lo his 5th star but never quite got there. However, he did make it to #55 overall.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dale View Post

On3 has always been the best rankings
                                                                                            They also ranked Koliie 24OA. Nice to finally land some 5 star recruits!

Comment

• I'm just curious why they're still ranking '21 recruits. Are they just backlogged?
                                                                                              60% of the time, it works every time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irishnuke View Post
                                                                                                I'm just curious why they're still ranking '21 recruits. Are they just backlogged?
                                                                                                It’s a new website/service that launches officially in October. They are probably using the ‘21 class to iron out their ranking and reveal process prior to going live.

Comment

• Disclaimer Tommy was pretty overly complimentary on everyone today, but I thought this was a notable praise for a freshman.

Zo is Ben Skowronek mentally, to a point where when he talks about competing and going full speed and loving the game, that's how he's wired. So, from the moment Zo stepped on campus in the spring to know, I've seen a peak level of commitment to his craft.”

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                  Working...
                                                                                                  X