2020-2021 Notre Dame’s Men’s Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by irishandy View Post
    Anyone think Brey steps down after this year?
    God willing

Comment

• Did a little digging on Brey's record as the toplines can be very misleading in CBB with all those nonconference gimmies. Brey's ACC regular season record is now 64-69 was at 64-64 going in to this season. Record in the ACC tournie is a terrific 10-5 however.
      Breys conference record in the Big East was 136-84 62%. BET was a pretty dismal 10-13.

This will be his 21st year at ND. Three sweet sixteens and 2 elite 8's in the NCAAT no titles (duh), 15-12 overall. 7-5 in the NIT, one final, no titles. One conference tourney championship (2015) 3 finals, all in the ACCT.

One conference regular season champ, 2001, when Big East was divided into 2 divisions.

Not sure which category he falls into; maybe "good" certainly not great.

I was surprised by the 62% regular season win % in the Big East but one divisional title and a losing record in the BET kind of negates that. That losing record in the ACC really is a red flag.
      Last edited by stpeteirish; 01-16-2021, 09:21 AM.

Comment

• Win today, this team, the players, and the program needs it.

When I do watch it is hard to watch Hubb and Ryan, sitting a year I expected Ryan to be better and I expected Hubb to take over the offense.

ND lives and dies by the 3 and I miss the burn offense.

Comment

• Look better today, but it is BC (although, truth be told, I thought BC would be better than they are this year).

Perhaps the most important thing is our guards aren't just shooting contested jumpers. I get Ryan is 1-5, but they've been better shots (although he got stuffed at the rim, which was pretty funny).

And Laz is leading the team in shots taken. That has to be a must moving forward.

Comment

• BC making us look like the defensive juggernaut. Easy baskets for ND inside and out. And no turnovers, none.

Comment

• The next step for Laz on the offensive end is for him to understand that he's a good enough shooter to just face up and shoot over the top of shorter defenders.

BC just cut it to 9, and our guards are back to forcing bad shots (looking at you Ryan and Wertz).

Comment

• And then a bad shot by Goodwin, and a turnover by Hubb.

Jesus, our guards can go from serviceable to down right shitty with the flip of a switch.

Comment

• First time I've watched this year (picking my spots, BC's a pretty reliable win). Ryan is a much better ball handler than I expected, he could actually handle the point if they let him. But that 30% shooting average from the floor is no mirage, he really is not scorer. They should switch Hubb to a wing. There his ball hog tendancies won't be as much an issue and if he's hot feed him, if he's not, bench him.

Durham gets about as little out of his god given talent as anyone I can remember.

Comment

• If Goodwin can play like he did today every game, better things could happen for the Irish. He played a heck of a game today.

Comment

• Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
                      I don't think the team is near as bad as they play which makes me think it's definitely the coach. But, Brey has got me in the same position I'm sure the Admin is, next year does look awfully enticing with Atkins and Wesley joining this roster. What are the chances the new coach keeps that together? Can't answer that but hopefully they are trying because that's the million dollar question. But, then again, maybe it doesn't matter if they continue to underperform.
                      I think you pull the trigger now and just keep in mind whichever HC inherits the squad that it was Berry’s players. They’re just bad.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irishize View Post
                        I think you pull the trigger now and just keep in mind whichever HC inherits the squad that it was Berry’s players. They’re just bad.
                        in the era of unrestrained player movement you can replenish your roster quickly. There are plenty of guys out there better than "brey's players"

Comment

• Originally posted by notredomer23 View Post
                          <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Mike Brey states G Robby Carmody could return to practice mid-January and possibly be ready for game action at the end of January.</p>&mdash; Irish Sports Daily (@ISDUpdate) <a href="https://twitter.com/ISDUpdate/status/1338901216957517827?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 15, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                          I guess the plan has changed. About a week ago Brey said Carmody is unlikely to play this season.
                          https://notredame.rivals.com/news/no...chedule-season

Brey said junior guard Robby Carmody (broken kneecap) is unlikely to play this season. The original timeline for his return was January, but Brey doesn’t want to push him with the bizarre season and the extra year of eligibility available.

“There’s no way he should be in any five-on-five competition this season,” Brey said. “My feeling is to let this heal a little bit.”

Comment

• Jaden Ivey is having a decent freshman year (better than what I expected). Too bad Brey didn't pursue him harder. How do you think he would've done for ND had he came here instead of Purdue?

Comment

Jaden Ivey is having a decent freshman year (better than what I expected). Too bad Brey didn't pursue him harder. How do you think he would've done for ND had he came here instead of Purdue?
                              Game winner at the buzzer over #15 - better highlight than we have seen on the court in a while. Not sure how you don't make room for him when you don't even have enough players to play 5 on 5 in practice.

Comment

• Don’t think it had anything to do with us not making room.

Comment

• Originally posted by ab2cmiller View Post
                                  Don’t think it had anything to do with us not making room.
                                  My point is, we had an absolute need for bodies and let a quality D1 prospect who pretty much grew up on campus get away. I'm not sure if Brey has ever used all 13 scholarships - "room" was never a remote concern. Took the kid next door for granted and didn't hardly recruit him all - I know Brey is lazy on the trail but damn.

Comment

Jaden Ivey is having a decent freshman year (better than what I expected). Too bad Brey didn't pursue him harder. How do you think he would've done for ND had he came here instead of Purdue?
                                    He's having a decent year ... really inconsistent though. Flashes of being very talented as he matures at the college level. He's barely shooting 50% @ FTs and slightly over 20% for 3 pointers. He had (2) 3's late in the game last night (including the game winner), but was 0-4 for 3 pointers earlier in the game including (2) air balls.

Comment

Don’t think it had anything to do with us not making room.
                                      nor do I. Brey just didn't land him.

Comment

• Surprised it was missed in this thread that Brey just signed a 5 star prospect: Alex Wade 2021 PG 5 Star Recruit

Comment

Surprised it was missed in this thread that Brey just signed a 5 star prospect: Alex Wade 2021 PG 5 Star Recruit
                                          Not sure that "5 star" heading on the link is accurate. Has no good offers and I don't see where it actually shows that he is a 5 star recruit.

Comment

• Originally posted by gkIrish View Post
                                            Not sure that "5 star" heading on the link is accurate. Has no good offers and I don't see where it actually shows that he is a 5 star recruit.
                                            My bad I forgot the italics for sarcasm. He's not even close to ACC level talent let alone mid-major. My only hope is that he's a walk-on and not scholarship, but it's not clear from the tweet.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">2021 California PG Alex Wade will be a part of the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Irish?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Irish</a> hoops program next season. <br><br>More info here (Premium) <a href="https://t.co/aDDwmbYoxg">https://t.co/aDDwmbYoxg</a> <a href="https://t.co/L79XNB1vty">https://t.co/L79XNB1vty</a></p>&mdash; Irish Sports Daily (@ISDUpdate) <a href="https://twitter.com/ISDUpdate/status/1351345358572580864?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 19, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Comment

• Yes, he's a high quality walk-on

Comment

• Originally posted by irish4ever View Post
                                                He's having a decent year ... really inconsistent though. Flashes of being very talented as he matures at the college level. He's barely shooting 50% @ FTs and slightly over 20% for 3 pointers. He had (2) 3's late in the game last night (including the game winner), but was 0-4 for 3 pointers earlier in the game including (2) air balls.
                                                I'd trade my 8 year old for Cormac Ryan at this point - he can't be that bad.

Comment

• Originally posted by RDU Irish View Post
                                                  I'd trade my 8 year old for Cormac Ryan at this point - he can't be that bad.
                                                  I am with you, everything we heard about Cormac Ryan I was expecting more out of him this year.

Comment

I am with you, everything we heard about Cormac Ryan I was expecting more out of him this year.
                                                    From what I recall, he didn't shoot that great his year with Stanford, but there was talk about that was primarily due to playing through an injury. Anyhow, we all expected a good shooter to show up, so far it's not happened.

Comment

My bad I forgot the italics for sarcasm. He's not even close to ACC level talent let alone mid-major. My only hope is that he's a walk-on and not scholarship, but it's not clear from the tweet.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">2021 California PG Alex Wade will be a part of the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Irish?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Irish</a> hoops program next season. <br><br>More info here (Premium) <a href="https://t.co/aDDwmbYoxg">https://t.co/aDDwmbYoxg</a> <a href="https://t.co/L79XNB1vty">https://t.co/L79XNB1vty</a></p>&mdash; Irish Sports Daily (@ISDUpdate) <a href="https://twitter.com/ISDUpdate/status/1351345358572580864?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 19, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                                                      Is that a pic from 1928?

Comment

From what I recall, he didn't shoot that great his year with Stanford, but there was talk about that was primarily due to playing through an injury. Anyhow, we all expected a good shooter to show up, so far it's not happened.
                                                        He is a college junior - at this point if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck....

Comment

• Looks like Brey started all of the reserves trying to light a fire under the guys.

Comment

• Hubb is soooo much better playing off the ball.

Comment

• Nice win over Miami. Maybe the tide is turning. Probably not.

Comment

• The back half of the schedule is much easier than the first half, they could get on a roll and get our hopes up lol

Comment

• Not really ND related, but Coach K really showed (once again) how big of a douche he really is. Honestly, he is such a petulant asshole at the first instance of adversity. He and Jim Boeheim are peas in a pod but the only difference is that people call out Jimmy B every now and again. Can't wait to wake up to the news in the coming weeks that Coack K needs back surgery again and is out for the year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Woneone View Post
                                                                    Hubb is soooo much better playing off the ball.
                                                                    Yeah, last night really solidified that in my mind. Hubb can shoot and he can create, but when he tries to create for himself bad things happen. We need Brey to realize Hubb's limitations and for him to find another guard who can instigate the offense. Not sure if we've got that guy. Wertz? Ryan? The walk on? No idea.

But if we can turn Hubb into a wing scorer it would give us a potent offense and make it easier for Laz and Goodwin to get more open looks and they are great at hitting open shots. Durham can score inside if he's on on one.

I don't see any solution to our defensive problems however. That zone worked great last night but Miami can't shoot worth a damn. Brey's zones are a proven commodity; good teams destroy them

Comment

Looks like Brey started all of the reserves trying to light a fire under the guys.
                                                                      Took a page out of Bobby Knights playbook. He did the same thing against Illinois once.

Comment

Nice win over Miami. Maybe the tide is turning. Probably not.
                                                                        Originally posted by BilboBaggins View Post
                                                                        The back half of the schedule is much easier than the first half, they could get on a roll and get our hopes up lol
                                                                        Originally posted by stpeteirish View Post
                                                                        Yeah, last night really solidified that in my mind. Hubb can shoot and he can create, but when he tries to create for himself bad things happen. We need Brey to realize Hubb's limitations and for him to find another guard who can instigate the offense. Not sure if we've got that guy. Wertz? Ryan? The walk on? No idea.

But if we can turn Hubb into a wing scorer it would give us a potent offense and make it easier for Laz and Goodwin to get more open looks and they are great at hitting open shots. Durham can score inside if he's on on one.

I don't see any solution to our defensive problems however. That zone worked great last night but Miami can't shoot worth a damn. Brey's zones are a proven commodity; good teams destroy them
                                                                        You ever feel like we have these same conversations every year? lol

Comment

• Nice win last night by the Irish. Hubb played a complete game. Laz and Durham also played a solid game. To me ND had a ton of dunks...when was the last time they had so many dunks?

This is a game to build their/Hubb's confidence. Is Carmody coming back this year?

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                                                                            You ever feel like we have these same conversations every year? lol
                                                                            Seems to be the same story every year since Grant and Connaughton left. I know the year after they made the elite 8, and in 16-17 made it as a 5 seed, but since then it has been miserable.

Comment

• Playing #20 VT.

Ranked, good team, which means Mr. Goodwin should disappear for most of the game.

I've watched about 5 possessions so far.

One lob to Durham (good).
                                                                              2 No pass possessions by Wertz/Hubb (bad) with just a high ball screen jumper.
                                                                              Hubb charge (bad).
                                                                              Goodwin missed wide-open 3 off one pass (bad, but a good shot).

I like Wertz more at the point, but so far it's just marginally better than Hubb.

Comment

• GOD DAMN HUBB.

He waived off Laz in the post with a 6'2 guy on him to chuck a 3.

Comment

• And what a bullshit call on Laz.

VT switching the ball screens, and their guards are just beating on him.

Then they call a bad offensive foul.

-- Then back to back turnovers by Wertz and Hubb. Our guards are just awful.

Comment

• 10 points with under 6 to go.

Comment

• Every player on VT plays harder than our guys. Every one of them.

Hubb has 10. Great. We're so desperate to have him shot that we're either not confident in Laz posting up a 6'2 guard, which is awful, or we're more confident in Hubb finishing, which is awful.
                                                                                      Last edited by Woneone; 01-27-2021, 07:41 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Woneone View Post
                                                                                        10 points with under 6 to go.
                                                                                        picking up where we left off in the last VaTech game.

Comment

• Bit of a run to cut it to 8, but then give up an open 3 (albeit after an obvious push-off on the drive in the paint, but these refs are taking a break unless it's a big in the post against a guard).

Comment

• If they wouldn't have blown the whistle on that Hubb drive to end the half, I may have broken my TV. That was freaking obvious.

Comment

• 31-22.

Hubb with 17 (got REAL hot that last 5, and had 2 passes that should have been dunks).

Goodwin is, predictably, MIA.

Comment

• Can’t watch this crap anynore

Comment

• Wertz, Goodwin and Hubb - 12/39.

Comment

• Watching hubb run this offense makes me want to pour soap in my eyes.

Comment

• Originally posted by anarin View Post
                                                                                                      Watching a Mike Brey coached team makes me want to pour soap in my eyes.
                                                                                                      Fixed

Haven't done this in over a month though which feels good.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X