• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ND88
    replied
    Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post

He passed away sorry to say.
    I clicked on this thread for the first time to ask some questions about ND women’s basketball and discovered this news about BGIF for the first time. A very genuine human being and really a legend on IrishEnvy. Very sad to read this. I hope his loved ones have been able to find some peace. Thanks for being a truly good person on these boards, BGIF, and for contributing positive and constructive thoughts in the community. You will be missed.

Leave a comment:

• BabyIrish
    replied
    It's not all that surprising to me to see hayes and Campbell move on as miles passed them up. The writing on the wall is pretty clear she is going to be running the show for a while. It definitely kills depth if she gets injured, however. Rahim was a pretty low-rated recruit. We still have westbeld and Marshall. Again, this hurts depth. The fact is players don't want to be role players or wait, they want their opportunity now. And they can transfer very easily. This is going to be very normal going forward for a lot of programs including ND.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    Originally posted by Chicago Domer View Post
    It would have been interesting to see what the state of the program would be today with a “still committed” Muffett coaching this team, both this season’s record and the roster.

I don’t think we know if Niele Ivey is a good game coach. Have to give her some slack for a few years, but year 3 should show us how good she is. Have to trust Muffett that she left the program in good hands.

on another note, her son is going to be a star at Purdue. He is already playing at a very high level as a true freshman. I wonder why Mike Brey couldn’t bring him to ND? I never really heard that he was recruiting him.
    I just posted about Jaden in the Bball thread. Kid is doing great and will be a stud in short order. Woulda, coulda, shoulda Mr. Brey.

Leave a comment:

• Chicago Domer
    replied
    It would have been interesting to see what the state of the program would be today with a “still committed” Muffett coaching this team, both this season’s record and the roster.

I don’t think we know if Niele Ivey is a good game coach. Have to give her some slack for a few years, but year 3 should show us how good she is. Have to trust Muffett that she left the program in good hands.

on another note, her son is going to be a star at Purdue. He is already playing at a very high level as a true freshman. I wonder why Mike Brey couldn’t bring him to ND? I never really heard that he was recruiting him.

Leave a comment:

• Irish#1
    replied
    I fear our salad days are over. Hopefully this is just a blip and we get back to our "norm".

Leave a comment:

• NDGOLDEN
    replied
    3 players are transferring apparently. AllI Campbell. Alasia Hayes and Amirah Abdur-rahim

According to ND Hoops Recruits Twitter page. Apparently Lou Somogyi confirmed the rumor

Leave a comment:

• BabyIrish
    replied
    Westbeld won ACC Rookie of the Year as voted by the coaches. I'm sure she'll win it as voted by the media.
    We come in as the 6 seed playing Clemson. If we win that one we play 3 seeded Georgia Tech. We split the season series with them. If we beat them I think it puts us in the field.
    Problem is we lost by 20 to Clemson. The good news it was early in the season. Hopefully we take care of business.

Leave a comment:

• BabyIrish
    replied
    ND loses 78-61 to Louisville. This is the first game I've been able to watch start to finish. Here are my impressions:
    On the Game- Simply put way too many turnovers. We had 25 for the game with 16 coming in the first half. That just can't happen. And I don't think Louisville did anything special to cause those turnovers. Just a lot of mistakes.
    Defense was lacking in the first half. We were much better in the third. But then ran out of gas in the fourth quarter.
    Too many times we seem lost on offense. I guess this is to be expected with a young team and one that has had interruptions throughout the season.

On individual players:
    Maddy Westbeld is an excellent all around players- there isn't anything she lacks in her game. She's gonna be special, maybe Ruth Riley special.
    Olivia Miles- she has a lot of raw talent. When she brings it altogether, she might be able to push Skylar for our best PG of all time. When she has command of the offense, we excel. When she looks lost, we look lost. Her defensive effort has to get better. And you can already see that she looks tired too. College basketball is much more strenuous than high school. She'll need to focus on conditioning during the off season.
    Sam Brunelle- I really liked her effort in the post, especially offensively. She's really developing down there, which will help her become a better all around player. She can do better defensively and get stronger in the weight room. But I think she is progressing.
    I'm ready to move on from Destinee Walker. I'd like to see other young guards get opportunities in her place.
    Dara Mabrey- She plays with a lot of effort. I like her defensive game. I think the coaches need to do a better job scheming for her on offesne. Put her more in the two spot and run screens for her on the three point line. I think that would better suit her game.

I could talk about Vaugh, Peoples and Gilbert, but all in all they are inconsistent.

Leave a comment:

• BabyIrish
    replied
    Finished it out. 72-64 win. We move past FSU into 5th place in the ACC. If we can beat Louisville on Sunday, it should cement us in the tournament. If not, we probably have some work to do in the ACC tourney.

Leave a comment:

• BabyIrish
    replied
    FSU had a four point trip to cut the lead to 7. Thankfully we got fouled and westbeld made two FT’s to push the lead back to 9. 37 seconds to go.

Leave a comment:

• BabyIrish
    replied
    Irish were up by 18 with 3 minutes to go. Down to 11 with under a minute left.

Ive never seen a team so incapable of beating the press late in the game throughout the season. Just turnover after turnover.

Leave a comment:

• BabyIrish
    replied
    ND up 32-19 at the half against a good FSU team.
    Westbeld and Miles doing there thing per usual. Vaughn’s going out strong on her senior night.
    It’s good to see Gilbert and Brunelle back on the floor too.

1st half has never been there problem. It’s always been the 4th quarter. Let’s see if they can hold the lead.

Leave a comment:

• ab2cmiller
    replied
    Originally posted by irishandy View Post

Smart move by Olivia Miles to enroll early; I would imagine she has 4 years of eligibility? I agree with you that she will be our starting PG next year. I liked what I saw when watching the Louisville game.
    Yes, this year doesn't count for basketball as it pertains to eligibility.

Leave a comment:

• irishandy
    replied
    Originally posted by BabyIrish View Post
    Quick update:
    ND lost to Louisville by 6 71-65 on February 7. It was 66-65 with a minute to go.

Next two games were postponed.

They played Pitt and won 59-48.

Olivia Miles is special. I fully expect her to be the starting PG next year and hold onto it throughout her career. She’s been that good with limited time with the team. We have a great foundation to build on with her and Westbeld.
    Smart move by Olivia Miles to enroll early; I would imagine she has 4 years of eligibility? I agree with you that she will be our starting PG next year. I liked what I saw when watching the Louisville game.

Leave a comment:

• BabyIrish
    replied
    Quick update:
    ND lost to Louisville by 6 71-65 on February 7. It was 66-65 with a minute to go.

Next two games were postponed.

They played Pitt and won 59-48.

Olivia Miles is special. I fully expect her to be the starting PG next year and hold onto it throughout her career. She’s been that good with limited time with the team. We have a great foundation to build on with her and Westbeld.

Leave a comment:

• Old Man Mike
    replied
    We need close-to-the-basket muscle ... this player sounds like that.

Leave a comment:

• BabyIrish
    replied
    Ivey and crew just picked up a Stanford transfer:
    6-3 forward Maya Dodson.

She’s top 10 in both blocks and field goal percentage. Seems like a quality addition. She’s eligible to play starting next season.

Leave a comment:

• irishandy
    replied
    The Irish once again give up a big lead by only scoring 4 points in the 4th quarter. They jut need to learn to finish.

Early Enrollee Freshman Olivia Miles played 14 minutes scoring 4 pts, with 2 rebounds and 2 assists.
    Peoples only played 11 minutes so not sure if she got injured. Also Brunelle was limping in the 4th.

Bring on 1. Louisville next Sunday. I’m interested to see if they can hang with the top teams in the conference.
    That 4th quarter stunk for ND not only being outscored 23-4, but Syracuse played some good defense, and ND looked sloppy. Nice to see Miles get in the game.

Leave a comment:

• BabyIrish
    replied
    The Irish once again give up a big lead by only scoring 4 points in the 4th quarter. They jut need to learn to finish.

Early Enrollee Freshman Olivia Miles played 14 minutes scoring 4 pts, with 2 rebounds and 2 assists.
    Peoples only played 11 minutes so not sure if she got injured. Also Brunelle was limping in the 4th.

Bring on 1. Louisville next Sunday. I’m interested to see if they can hang with the top teams in the conference.

Leave a comment:

• Old Man Mike
    replied
    This is wild old-coach's intuitive guess, but I think that Coach Ivey might have a short tolerance for players who do not show toughness. Westbeld, Vaughn, Mabrey, and Peoples have toughness. Abby is the posterchild of toughness. Walker seems rising to her challenge as one would expect a very veteran player to do.

Brunelle might still be "soft." Muffet had that same issue with the alleged "big" who wouldn't mix it up, and wanted to stand around outside and shoot threes (which admittedly she was very good at) --- that player transferred to Oregon where that coach would put up with it.

Leave a comment:

• BabyIrish
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Man Mike View Post
    Didn't see any of this last game, but did get to watch some of the previous game which they held on to win. (VT). In that game Ivey was desperate to get an "effort" team on the floor going down the stretch, I think. She had Westbeld, Vaughn, and Mabrey to provide the necessary "bigs" and the ball handler, plus Anaya Peoples looked like the will-power game winner that I thought she would be earlier --- but wasn't until just recently. To slow down the big VT scorer, Ivey put in Abby. That worked for several plays, and we held them off. Walker was put in for one specialty defense run at the big scorer, so Ivey hasn't lost faith in her in situations. But Brunelle was rare, and Gilbert non-existent in the clutch (perhaps she's injured? The announcers weren't good at keeping me informed since I was late to the game.)

I was heartened by that game, as the tougher endgame line-up there seemed ready for the pressure. But then we lead and blow it in this next one.
    I watched the VT game as well in the second half and there was mention of Gilbert being injured. I have to say I’ve been surprised that Brunelle hasn’t played a bigger role on the team. She seems like the best shooter on the team besides Mabrey. Not sure what’s going on there either.

Leave a comment:

• Old Man Mike
    replied
    Didn't see any of this last game, but did get to watch some of the previous game which they held on to win. (VT). In that game Ivey was desperate to get an "effort" team on the floor going down the stretch, I think. She had Westbeld, Vaughn, and Mabrey to provide the necessary "bigs" and the ball handler, plus Anaya Peoples looked like the will-power game winner that I thought she would be earlier --- but wasn't until just recently. To slow down the big VT scorer, Ivey put in Abby. That worked for several plays, and we held them off. Walker was put in for one specialty defense run at the big scorer, so Ivey hasn't lost faith in her in situations. But Brunelle was rare, and Gilbert non-existent in the clutch (perhaps she's injured? The announcers weren't good at keeping me informed since I was late to the game.)

I was heartened by that game, as the tougher endgame line-up there seemed ready for the pressure. But then we lead and blow it in this next one.

Leave a comment:

• BabyIrish
    replied
    Irish lose another game they should have won. They were up 8 with under 5 minutes to play and gave up the lead. This seems to be a reoccurring theme with the team even on the recent win streak. Play well for 30-35 minutes and then coast the rest of the way. Toughest three game stretch of the season begins with Syracuse next Sunday.
    Last edited by BabyIrish; 01-24-2021, 09:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Old Man Mike
    replied
    I saw film on Miles playing in an all-star game --- completely beyond the others in game maturity. Controlled and dominated the game from the point guard position. Seemingly unflappable. Don't know if she has big points potential, but it might be true that she could play some point allowing Mabrey to be a two-guard bomber. Still, that would be asking a lot from a raw rookie.

Leave a comment:

• ab2cmiller
    replied
    https://und.com/olivia-miles-enrolls...9z8uecgxRptZdA

Olivia Miles, a top 10 recruit has enrolled early and can be eligible to play be February. Crazy. Had no idea that was an option for basketball players.
    Pretty great idea for kids this year since this year won’t count towards eligibility

Leave a comment:

• BabyIrish
    replied
    https://und.com/olivia-miles-enrolls...9z8uecgxRptZdA

Olivia Miles, a top 10 recruit has enrolled early and can be eligible to play be February. Crazy. Had no idea that was an option for basketball players.

Leave a comment:

• BabyIrish
    replied
    Originally posted by Chicago Domer View Post
    Who’d they play?
    BC, the team they choked too last time. This time they handled the full court pressure much better

Leave a comment:

• Chicago Domer
    replied
    Who’d they play?

Leave a comment:

• BabyIrish
    replied
    Irish get revenge and win today 83-73. They’ve won 4 of the last 5 and should be on a five game winning streak but gave up a 12 point lead in the final three minutes against BC.

They’ve got VT and UNC and then a gauntlet to end the season. We’ll really start to see what they’re made of against Syracuse, Louisville and NC St.

Leave a comment:

• BabyIrish
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Man Mike View Post
    Several interesting things about this game:
    a. Westbeld continues to succeed despite that opponents now must be trying to stop her;
    b. Peoples has showed up finally. Leading rebounder. What I expected from her attitudinally;
    c. Brunelle didn't start but rained threes as she should. Outside of Mabrey she is our most dangerous long gunner;
    d. Destiny Walker did not play. Coupled with her not playing at all in last game's second half ordinarily that would mean injury --- but Coach said that she was physically OK last game. Is there Trouble In Paradise?
    Announcers mentioned they think it had something to do with not being tough. Ivey wanted some fire, passion and grit. Walker wasn’t giving it as the lead guard (according to announcers)

Leave a comment:

• BabyIrish
    replied
    Originally posted by Ndaccountant View Post
    Needed victory and it was good to see Sam getting back to form. Still not sure about her shooting so many 3's, but tonight she shined. Really happy for her.
    Peoples too. Had a great second half.

Leave a comment:

• Old Man Mike
    replied
    Several interesting things about this game:
    a. Westbeld continues to succeed despite that opponents now must be trying to stop her;
    b. Peoples has showed up finally. Leading rebounder. What I expected from her attitudinally;
    c. Brunelle didn't start but rained threes as she should. Outside of Mabrey she is our most dangerous long gunner;
    d. Destiny Walker did not play. Coupled with her not playing at all in last game's second half ordinarily that would mean injury --- but Coach said that she was physically OK last game. Is there Trouble In Paradise?

Leave a comment:

• Ndaccountant
    replied
    Irish win 84-78. Congratulations coach on your first ACC win!
    Needed victory and it was good to see Sam getting back to form. Still not sure about her shooting so many 3's, but tonight she shined. Really happy for her.

Leave a comment:

• BabyIrish
    replied
    Irish win 84-78. Congratulations coach on your first ACC win!

Leave a comment:

• BabyIrish
    replied
    Peoples anothe drive for a 4 pt lead! Impressive!

Leave a comment:

• BabyIrish
    replied
    Peoples with a crossover to give the Irish a 2 pt lead with 1 minute to go!
    Irish have made a ton of mistakes but still have a chance to win.

Leave a comment:

• BabyIrish
    replied
    ND playing undefeated Virginia Tech. They were down by 10 in the second but went on a 20-5 run to end the half. Westbeld has 15. She’s legit.

Leave a comment:

• Old Man Mike
    replied
    I've not been able to follow the team well (health issues), but this is a tough road for a new coach. As said above, this is a test as to this coach's ability to be a head coach, rather than assisting a suoerhuman Hall-of-Famer. Although Ivey was around with these returning players, I note that the major contributors to the team so far are brand new (Mabrey and Westbeld.) That's your point guard and main post player/scorer. That's a new team.

This team has not gelled at all. That shouldn't be surprising in that Vaughn, Brunelle, and Gilbert were not immediately available. Maybe that is hopeful. Less so is the performance (reading only stats) of Anaya Peoples. This was/is the player that I thought would be (alongside Mabrey) the team leader this season and the inserter of a certain attitude of "I won't lose" during hard times during games. I don't think that this is happening for whatever reasons.

The real downer so far is that this team is seemingly bad on defense. Coach Ivey commented upon almost nothing else after the game, saying that none of the schemes operated properly. And we must remember that Muffet was THE in-game defensive change genius. Suspicious in the GT game that Destiny Walker was on the bench the entire second half despite Ivey saying that she was physically fine.

So, will we gel or not? That COULD happen, but the jury is WAY out.

Leave a comment:

• Chicago Domer
    replied
    Looks like a pathetic effort. I Know it’s early in her career, but do we know whether Ivey is a good bench coach, developer of talent, etc.

We were spoiled with Muffet. She’s a hall of fame coach and one of the top of all time. Time will tell with Ivey.

Leave a comment:

• BabyIrish
    replied
    Originally posted by arrowryan View Post
    Hmm I wasn’t expecting this kind of struggle for Ivey. The roster is loaded with talent.
    Disappointing effort for sure but this is a good team in the conference. I’d like to see a better result the next time around.

Leave a comment:

• arrowryan
    replied
    Hmm I wasn’t expecting this kind of struggle for Ivey. The roster is loaded with talent.

Leave a comment:

• BabyIrish
    replied
    Mikayla Vaughn is back! Irish are at full strength.

Leave a comment:

• BabyIrish
    replied
    Irish win an uninspiring game 65-58 against IUPUI. They were down by 8 at the half and were tied 58-58 with a few minutes left in the 4th.

Maddy Westbeld had 22 and looks like the best player for the Irish right now. Pretty incredible.

Leave a comment:

• BabyIrish
    replied
    Irish lose 76-66.

First five minutes were excellent for the Irish. Seemed to go downhill from there. I’m still confident they can become a great team. Just need time to gel. COVID-19 might prevent that though.

Leave a comment:

• stpeteirish
    replied
    lost by ten. irish BB programs not giving me much reason to stop think about football.

Leave a comment:

• BabyIrish
    replied
    ND down 65-60 to UM with 6 minutes to go

Leave a comment:

• BabyIrish
    replied
    ND vs Michigan

ND- 14 UM-8 with 2:30 left in the 1st.

Both Brunelle and Gilbert have played this far. Good to have them back. Irish looking great so far

Leave a comment:

• ulukinatme
    replied
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">&quot;�������� �������� ���� �������� ���� ������ ���� ������ �������� ������������ ��������&#39;�� �������� ���������������� ���� ���� ��������.&quot;<br><br>Congrats on your first win as head coach, <a href="https://twitter.com/IrishCoachIvey?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@IrishCoachIve y</a>!<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/GoIrish?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#GoIrish </a> ☘️ <a href="https://t.co/3PCgdSPtwz">pic.twitter.com/3PCgdSPtwz</a></p>&mdash; Notre Dame WBB �� (@ndwbb) <a href="https://twitter.com/ndwbb/status/1333191506778316802?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 29, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Leave a comment:

• BabyIrish
    replied
    Final Score:
    ND-88
    Miami OH-68

Walker finishes with 24
    Westbeld hits 19. She’s already a force as a freshman. Can’t wait to see the team when Brunelle and Gilbert come back as well as Vaughn.

Leave a comment:

• BabyIrish
    replied
    1st Quarter Score:
    ND- 19
    Miami (OH)- 11

Halftime Score:
    ND-45
    UM- 30

3rd Quarter Score:
    ND- 62
    UM-46