Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Notre Dame Lacrosse Open thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by irishrb View Post
    Call me crazy, but when I heard this news, I went from thinking they were going to lose to Hopkins to thinking they have a legitimate chance to win it all. Don't screw it up Corrigan!
    As long as we don't have more "Angry Little Elf" episodes, the keeper shows up and the boys play with energy, we win by 4 goals. The Blue Jays are scared to death of the Irish!

    Comment


    • Great first quarter... dominating faceoffs and getting good shots. Helpful that the Hopkins keeper can’t save a shot right now.

      Comment


      • Dominating first half! 30 minutes to go!

        Comment


        • Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
          Dominating first half! 30 minutes to go!
          Eye of the Tiger first half. Super impressive.

          Comment


          • Welcome back Garnsey! And hello Mirer!
            Now go take care of duke!

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Picasso View Post
              As long as we don't have more "Angry Little Elf" episodes, the keeper shows up and the boys play with energy, we win by 4 goals. The Blue Jays are scared to death of the Irish!
              As expected the Blue Jays didn't show up on Sunday. They looked very timid/slow going after ground balls. Duke is a different animal: very strong close D. Danowski looked more angry than I've ever seen him after that victory over Richmond. Look for the Blue Devils to play more inspired ball next weekend. As mentioned all year, this may be the ND team to go all of the way. Team intensity, quality of coaching (the right tactical adjustments and personnel decisions) and keeper play (don't hesitate to pull one as you have a proven back up) are the critical must haves of a late run to the title. Let's go Irish!!

              Comment


              • Second midfield line shot 5 for 10 last night. They keep getting production like that and they will be very hard to beat.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                  Second midfield line shot 5 for 10 last night. They keep getting production like that and they will be very hard to beat.
                  Amen on the 2nd middie production. Depth is a great thing and with our newfound success at the FO X and the shot clock, we can actually run teams down (UVA is very similar in team composition although I like our close D much better than theirs). In the past, the only time we actually ran was when we were behind and pressing (10 man, etc.). We always played best then. Let the boys play hard and fast and hope they can put together 3 more solid wins. Speed, size and good stickwork plus solid D kills.

                  Comment


                  • Good God the Maryland-Virginia game went to overtime when the refs awarded Va a goal on a shot that everyone could see was not a goal (hit the post). Va goes on to win in OT.

                    Lax has no replay review. In the NCAA's!! Crazy. If that happened to ND..

                    Comment


                    • Worst call I’ve ever seen. Period.

                      Comment


                      • Corrigan doing ND NO favors...No Garnsey or Mirer until the middle of the quarter and putting Philips on Nakeie is not giving your team the best chance to win. Very lucky to only be down 3 at the end of the first.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by irishrb View Post
                          Corrigan doing ND NO favors...No Garnsey or Mirer until the middle of the quarter and putting Philips on Nakeie is not giving your team the best chance to win. Very lucky to only be down 3 at the end of the first.
                          Great effort by the boys. Bad play design with 12 sec left. Horrible footwork by keeper all day. Moving just your hands doesn't make you a starting goalie (except at ND these past two years). That last shot was a change up. Move your feet and its an easy save. Coaches, take a bow, this one is on you. This was the last hurrah with Garnsey and Gleebo et al. Great four years men.

                          Comment


                          • Nice job not sliding to a dodge from X against a freshman shortie with 5 seconds left on the shot clock. Bold strategy in OT of a quarterfinal game.....

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                              Nice job not sliding to a dodge from X against a freshman shortie with 5 seconds left on the shot clock. Bold strategy in OT of a quarterfinal game.....
                              Absolutely unbelievable! SO frustrated! Most likely selling my 50 yard line tickets if anyone is intereseted.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Picasso View Post
                                Great effort by the boys. Bad play design with 12 sec left. Horrible footwork by keeper all day. Moving just your hands doesn't make you a starting goalie (except at ND these past two years). That last shot was a change up. Move your feet and its an easy save. Coaches, take a bow, this one is on you. This was the last hurrah with Garnsey and Gleebo et al. Great four years men.
                                So unfortunate....once Garnsey came back, I felt like this was going to be their year....Now, I just feel certain that they will never win it with Corrigan as their head coach.

                                Comment


                                • Disappointing end to the season and the paucity of AA awards reflect it. I hate to see this much potential wasted. We have another 5-8 years of status quo to look forward to. Great degree and even better brotherhood but significant perennial under performance on the field.

                                  Comment


                                  • [QUOTE=Picasso;2105095]Disappointing end to the season and the paucity of AA awards reflect it. I hate to see this much potential wasted. We have another 5-8 years of status quo to look forward to. Great degree and even better brotherhood but significant perennial under performance on the field.[/QUOTE

                                    Do you seriously think Corrigan stays on board that much longer?

                                    Comment


                                    • [QUOTE=irishrb;2105116]
                                      Originally posted by Picasso View Post
                                      Disappointing end to the season and the paucity of AA awards reflect it. I hate to see this much potential wasted. We have another 5-8 years of status quo to look forward to. Great degree and even better brotherhood but significant perennial under performance on the field.[/QUOTE

                                      Do you seriously think Corrigan stays on board that much longer?
                                      Given the developments this past weekend, here's a "what if" scenario to ponder for the Irish faithful: I posit that if UVA hires KC as HC when they relieved Dom and Lars et al comes to South Bend, Notre Dame wins a national championship yesterday. I know folks believe GB was the heir apparent but let's just assume the AD actually interviewed and chose the best and brightest candidate and decided to hire a coaching staff who implemented an up tempo O and a pressure D.

                                      What you have in South Bend are offensive and defensive schemes which are not taking advantage of the athleticism and stick work of the personnel that are there now and have been there for the past 10 years. KC implemented the origins of the current ND schemes when he wasn't getting enough blue chip players. Those days are long gone. What we have in South Bend are two generals whose claim to fame schematically is lacrosse's version of the Maginot Line.

                                      KC is there until he's well past the normal retirement age so yes 5-8 years is a realistic range. Unless he has two successive years with a losing record, that's the time frame.
                                      Last edited by Picasso; 05-28-2019, 04:23 PM.

                                      Comment


                                      • Been traveling, here are some thoughts:
                                        -I was rooting hard for Penn State because my brother played there. It's insane to me that they go put in position to rematch the only team that could beat them with "kryptonite" at the faceoff dot. This tournament will be one of the great "what ifs" because 2/3/4 Duke, UVA, Penn could've been any order. They chose to make it rubber match games in the quarterfinals... which were compelling lacrosse... but not necessarily ideal when looking forward to the final four. If you played the semis in any other combination I have little doubt PSU is the champ, but what we got was classic rock-paper-scissors with favorable matchups.
                                        -The Yale vs UVA final was the two least deserving teams to be there since...? Yale cheated with a transfer who was only eligible because of lacrosse's gentlemen's agreement on transfer eligibility out of conference, and everyone saw how UVA got gifted their semifinal birth. It's also absurd to me that a haughty Ivy League school would take someone with three years at Albany and confer a Yale degree on him like it ain't no thang... this happened in the same conference that disallows athletic scholarships and grad transfers. A school that is supposed to be top 5 in academics in the whole world has less stringent academic requirements for a lacrosse transfer than Notre Dame does for undergrad football transfers. What a time to be alive.
                                        -UVA, specifically, had the luckiest season I have ever seen barred none.
                                        -I'm convinced that Notre Dame has missed their window unless they do a Brian Kelly 2017 style rebuild. The defensive talent is wayyyyyyyyyy down from Sexton/Glazener/Epple/Landis. That's just a fact, I didn't realize at the time just how talented those players were. Plus the SSDMs are not what they once were, and our goalie finished outside the top 50 in save percentage. They need to take a long look in the mirror and figure something out because the "recipe" isn't working how it used to.
                                        -I'll give credit where credit is due, the offense was way more balanced than it has been in years past and carried this team in their wins... crazy to think what they could've looked like with Garnsey for a whole year. It will NOT be easy to replace him and Gleason. The overall talent in the midfield next year will be scary though.
                                        -Can't wait to see what Leonard does next year.
                                        -The shot clock was a breath of fresh air. It greatly improved the product on the field in the NCAA, and coaching with it in HS it was apparent that it rewards good defense and punishes slow substitution patterns.

                                        Comment


                                        • Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                                          Been traveling, here are some thoughts:
                                          -I was rooting hard for Penn State because my brother played there. It's insane to me that they go put in position to rematch the only team that could beat them with "kryptonite" at the faceoff dot. This tournament will be one of the great "what ifs" because 2/3/4 Duke, UVA, Penn could've been any order. They chose to make it rubber match games in the quarterfinals... which were compelling lacrosse... but not necessarily ideal when looking forward to the final four. If you played the semis in any other combination I have little doubt PSU is the champ, but what we got was classic rock-paper-scissors with favorable matchups.
                                          -The Yale vs UVA final was the two least deserving teams to be there since...? Yale cheated with a transfer who was only eligible because of lacrosse's gentlemen's agreement on transfer eligibility out of conference, and everyone saw how UVA got gifted their semifinal birth. It's also absurd to me that a haughty Ivy League school would take someone with three years at Albany and confer a Yale degree on him like it ain't no thang... this happened in the same conference that disallows athletic scholarships and grad transfers. A school that is supposed to be top 5 in academics in the whole world has less stringent academic requirements for a lacrosse transfer than Notre Dame does for undergrad football transfers. What a time to be alive.
                                          -UVA, specifically, had the luckiest season I have ever seen barred none.
                                          -I'm convinced that Notre Dame has missed their window unless they do a Brian Kelly 2017 style rebuild. The defensive talent is wayyyyyyyyyy down from Sexton/Glazener/Epple/Landis. That's just a fact, I didn't realize at the time just how talented those players were. Plus the SSDMs are not what they once were, and our goalie finished outside the top 50 in save percentage. They need to take a long look in the mirror and figure something out because the "recipe" isn't working how it used to.
                                          -I'll give credit where credit is due, the offense was way more balanced than it has been in years past and carried this team in their wins... crazy to think what they could've looked like with Garnsey for a whole year. It will NOT be easy to replace him and Gleason. The overall talent in the midfield next year will be scary though.
                                          -Can't wait to see what Leonard does next year.
                                          -The shot clock was a breath of fresh air. It greatly improved the product on the field in the NCAA, and coaching with it in HS it was apparent that it rewards good defense and punishes slow substitution patterns.
                                          UVA.. So lucky...Don't forget that inexusable turnover Duke had with like a minute left..
                                          The talent of Sexton/Glazener/Epple/Landis...The Redwoods totally agree with you...
                                          Look in the mirror??? I just don't see it...I feel like they are content with where they are.
                                          Shot clock made this game so much more exciting! Now do something about the faceoffs...Move the wings in to get them in the mix more easily.

                                          Comment


                                          • Sounds like Gerry Byrne could be headed elsewhere this offseason if the situation/pay is right. All of his kids are out of school, and it doesn’t look like Corrigan is stepping down any time soon, so the only thing that would hold him in South Bend would hypothetically be his wife’s professional roots. Interested to see if he makes the jump, I think he would be a great HC.

                                            Comment


                                            • Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                                              Sounds like Gerry Byrne could be headed elsewhere this offseason if the situation/pay is right. All of his kids are out of school, and it doesn’t look like Corrigan is stepping down any time soon, so the only thing that would hold him in South Bend would hypothetically be his wife’s professional roots. Interested to see if he makes the jump, I think he would be a great HC.
                                              I hope Corrigan would go outside the program to replace him, and doubt he will.

                                              Comment


                                              • Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                                                Sounds like Gerry Byrne could be headed elsewhere this offseason if the situation/pay is right. All of his kids are out of school, and it doesn’t look like Corrigan is stepping down any time soon, so the only thing that would hold him in South Bend would hypothetically be his wife’s professional roots. Interested to see if he makes the jump, I think he would be a great HC.
                                                I don't believe GB is going anywhere. He's got a great gig in SB where his wife has a successful practice and he has little or no real pressure from the School/AD to win a NC. While his first foray into being a HC was not successful, he's probably better prepared to be a head coach now. See Bill Bellichick or Nick Saban's forays before they become the GOAT HCs. If I'm the hiring AD, I'm asking myself, does this guy have the fire in the belly and ambition to wear the crown and be the HC? Some folks are content to be coordinators and my response is (per Clint), a man has to know his limitations.

                                                Comment


                                                • Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                                                  Sounds like Gerry Byrne could be headed elsewhere this offseason if the situation/pay is right. All of his kids are out of school, and it doesn’t look like Corrigan is stepping down any time soon, so the only thing that would hold him in South Bend would hypothetically be his wife’s professional roots. Interested to see if he makes the jump, I think he would be a great HC.
                                                  If he goes, I'm hearing it will be Harvard. Bob Scalise the Harvard AD and a former Crimson lax HC, has not done a great job hiring/keeping good coaches. This lacrosse program is a perennial under performer and a lacrosse coach career killer. Caveat Emptor.

                                                  Comment


                                                  • It has to kill Harvard watching the success Yale has had of late. GB would seemingly be a good culture fit and certainly has the resume as a coach and player. Plus he’s got some inroads to some elite academic HS programs. Definitely makes sense and seems to be the favorite here.

                                                    Comment


                                                    • Originally posted by FDNYIrish1 View Post
                                                      It has to kill Harvard watching the success Yale has had of late. GB would seemingly be a good culture fit and certainly has the resume as a coach and player. Plus he’s got some inroads to some elite academic HS programs. Definitely makes sense and seems to be the favorite here.
                                                      According to an industry rag, CollegeCrosse, "GB's name is slowly becoming less of a favorite to land the Harvard job". A younger grouping of "hot" assistants or HCs have replaced him: Cassese, Kirwan Polley and even a D3 coach, Jon Thompson. Wow even a D3 coach has eclipsed GB in the Harvard HC search. That shocks me in so many ways.

                                                      Comment


                                                      • Originally posted by Picasso View Post
                                                        According to an industry rag, CollegeCrosse, "GB's name is slowly becoming less of a favorite to land the Harvard job". A younger grouping of "hot" assistants or HCs have replaced him: Cassese, Kirwan Polley and even a D3 coach, Jon Thompson. Wow even a D3 coach has eclipsed GB in the Harvard HC search. That shocks me in so many ways.
                                                        I agree that is surprising...but the youth movement in lacrosse coaching is bound to happen....

                                                        Comment


                                                        • Originally posted by Picasso View Post
                                                          According to an industry rag, CollegeCrosse, "GB's name is slowly becoming less of a favorite to land the Harvard job". A younger grouping of "hot" assistants or HCs have replaced him: Cassese, Kirwan Polley and even a D3 coach, Jon Thompson. Wow even a D3 coach has eclipsed GB in the Harvard HC search. That shocks me in so many ways.
                                                          Interesting updates for sure. I know Kirwan is a hot name. Im curious about Cassese. Seems like he’s hit the ceiling at Lehigh. Also with Matt Danowski as a candidate for Stony Brook, could be that he’s trying to cut his teeth as a HC before possibly taking over for dad. I know Cassese has long been rumored as the eventual replacement. Pollen would be interesting as he’s done a great job at BU in short order.

                                                          Comment


                                                          • Cassese is one of the best in the business IMO. Would be on my list for potential post-Corrigan hires.

                                                            Comment


                                                            • <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Breaking: <a href="https://twitter.com/NDlacrosse?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@NDlacrosse</a> defensive coordinator Gerry Byrne informed his Fighting Irish players on Saturday night that he will become the next head coach of <a href="https://twitter.com/HarvardMLax?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@HarvardMLax</a>, sources told IL (via <a href="https://twitter.com/tyxanders?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@tyxanders</a>): <a href="https://t.co/UvWm5XUetA">https://t.co/UvWm5XUetA</a></p>&mdash; Inside Lacrosse (@Inside_Lacrosse) <a href="https://twitter.com/Inside_Lacrosse/status/1145148849910104064?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 30, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

                                                              Going to be realllllly interesting to see what ND does here to replace Gerry Byrne. He was an absolute institution in South Bend, and I think the only way his replacement will work out is if he does his own thing and doesn’t try to mimic what was in place.

                                                              Comment


                                                              • Good for him! He deserves a shot as a head coach. People should be waiting in line to interview for his position. Hopefully they nail it!

                                                                Comment


                                                                • Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                                                                  <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Breaking: <a href="https://twitter.com/NDlacrosse?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@NDlacrosse</a> defensive coordinator Gerry Byrne informed his Fighting Irish players on Saturday night that he will become the next head coach of <a href="https://twitter.com/HarvardMLax?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@HarvardMLax</a>, sources told IL (via <a href="https://twitter.com/tyxanders?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@tyxanders</a>): <a href="https://t.co/UvWm5XUetA">https://t.co/UvWm5XUetA</a></p>&mdash; Inside Lacrosse (@Inside_Lacrosse) <a href="https://twitter.com/Inside_Lacrosse/status/1145148849910104064?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 30, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

                                                                  Going to be realllllly interesting to see what ND does here to replace Gerry Byrne. He was an absolute institution in South Bend, and I think the only way his replacement will work out is if he does his own thing and doesn’t try to mimic what was in place.
                                                                  Maybe Will Corrigan who knows the offense and defense. Definitely will be a former player. “Look for KC to coach both sides of the ball. Recruiting could suffer unless KA steps on...

                                                                  Comment


                                                                  • GB's email to the ND LAX family:
                                                                    Friends, Parents, Alumni of ND Lacrosse

                                                                    Late yesterday afternoon I accepted a position at Harvard to become the next Head Coach at the University.

                                                                    It would be a tremendous understatement to say that this was one of the most difficult decisions of my adult life. As you all know Notre Dame is more than the physical buildings or the history and traditions. It is an ethos, a spirit that permeates the place and ultimately seeps into your bones and your own being. You transmit it to your children and extended family and if you are luck they embrace it as well.

                                                                    I was fortunate enough to be here long enough to see and feel all of that happen and more. I was able to Coach and mentor my Godson Will Corrigan and watch my own son Pierre become a great, selfless, kind, team first middle for ND, just as Will had done and modeled before him. I watched my daughter compete at ND and blossom into a beautiful smart woman now heading to Med School. I proudly watched my wife firmly establish herself as a talented and compassionate physician in town as she delivered 100's of babies into the world, many of them connected to ND in some way. I spent more nights in hotels rooms on the road with KC, Brian Fisher, Rob Simpson, Matt Karweck, Kevin Anderson, Neil Hutchinson, Jon Rodak, Kevin Dugan, Jason Lamb than I can remember. What I will remember of those nights are the stories, and the laughter in the retelling that never seemed to get old.

                                                                    I was able to meet and get to know 100's of players and their parents. The players, some who are now firmly in their 40's with their own young families and others just starting the real world as graduates are some of the finest people I've ever met. They were open to the message of what ND was about and the pathway it could provide for their sons as people, players and members of the ND Community. They embraced the uniqueness of my family and welcomed them as their own making all of my kids feel like they were part of the brick and mortar of Arlotta. Your sons, the players were a joy to coach, a pleasure to mentor, cared for each other, protected one another, competed at the highest level and left here fortified for the world with their values enhanced and intact to face the world.

                                                                    That true success is the ultimate honor for a coach, to know you played a role in delivering on the promises made in recruiting, having young men embrace the opportunities and see the finished product shine, on the practice field, in the locker room, on the graduation stage, in the NCAA Tourney or in their personal and professional lives.

                                                                    I watched Coach Corrigan steward the program to incredible heights, proud of the part I played as his assistant coach. He saw that your 4 years here should be more than what happens on the field. His radical candor regarding what ND Lacrosse should be about invigorated our recruiting and set the trajectory for the last 15 years. I was honored to be his assistant and proud of all of our accomplishments together. I will forever grateful that he took a chance on me in the summer of 2006 to come back to ND.

                                                                    If you are reading this and you are a former player that I coached, thank you for believing in the vision we had for ND and the program. If you are a parent, I hope we delivered on what was promised and that your son left here the kind of man, teammate, person, son you hoped he could If you are an alum, thank you for supporting this special place, and making myself and family feel so welcome and appreciated.

                                                                    I can't thank you all enough for my time here, you all gave me more than I could ever give you in return.

                                                                    Take Care & God Bless.

                                                                    GB

                                                                    Comment


                                                                    • Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                                                                      <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Breaking: <a href="https://twitter.com/NDlacrosse?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@NDlacrosse</a> defensive coordinator Gerry Byrne informed his Fighting Irish players on Saturday night that he will become the next head coach of <a href="https://twitter.com/HarvardMLax?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@HarvardMLax</a>, sources told IL (via <a href="https://twitter.com/tyxanders?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@tyxanders</a>): <a href="https://t.co/UvWm5XUetA">https://t.co/UvWm5XUetA</a></p>&mdash; Inside Lacrosse (@Inside_Lacrosse) <a href="https://twitter.com/Inside_Lacrosse/status/1145148849910104064?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 30, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

                                                                      Going to be realllllly interesting to see what ND does here to replace Gerry Byrne. He was an absolute institution in South Bend, and I think the only way his replacement will work out is if he does his own thing and doesn’t try to mimic what was in place.
                                                                      There is no reason, given the athletes it can attract, ND can't press out more on D to create more quality transition offense. The game is faster and better now and will continue to evolve. ND will be left behind in recruiting if it can't adopt a fun pace of play while being in the Conference championship hunt year in and year out. I firmly believe the entire Program needs a schematic enema.

                                                                      Comment


                                                                      • Originally posted by irishrb View Post
                                                                        Good for him! He deserves a shot as a head coach. People should be waiting in line to interview for his position. Hopefully they nail it!
                                                                        Totally agree Gerry deserves another shot at being a head coach (see his past head coaching record below). That being said, the gig is completely different than being a coordinator and Harvard hasn't been "friendly" to HCs. Not sure if its the Harvard culture, the fact the AD is a former coach and a successful one at that or what but the Program has "buried" many a coach's career. Gerry may very well be the one to bring the Crimson back to Ivy League championships and NCAA tournament appearances. He has a great opportunity to be like Yale's Andy Shay or Princeton's Bill Tierney.

                                                                        2004 4-9 Gerry Byrne
                                                                        2005 8-7 Gerry Byrne
                                                                        2006 4-11 Gerry Byrne
                                                                        Three year W-L record: 16-27 (3)

                                                                        Comment


                                                                        • Originally posted by Picasso View Post
                                                                          Totally agree Gerry deserves another shot at being a head coach (see his past head coaching record below). That being said, the gig is completely different than being a coordinator and Harvard hasn't been "friendly" to HCs. Not sure if its the Harvard culture, the fact the AD is a former coach and a successful one at that or what but the Program has "buried" many a coach's career. Gerry may very well be the one to bring the Crimson back to Ivy League championships and NCAA tournament appearances. He has a great opportunity to be like Yale's Andy Shay or Princeton's Bill Tierney.

                                                                          2004 4-9 Gerry Byrne
                                                                          2005 8-7 Gerry Byrne
                                                                          2006 4-11 Gerry Byrne
                                                                          Three year W-L record: 16-27 (3)
                                                                          Big problem for him will be that the Ivy League is incredibly deep now. Used to be a 1 or 2 team league. And even Tilman wasn't "successful" there before getting the Maryland gig... he had near a .500 record.

                                                                          But you should be able to recruit at a high level there, and if you can win at Yale/Penn/Brown like we've seen the past few years there is no reason you can't do it at Harvard.

                                                                          Comment


                                                                          • Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                                                                            Big problem for him will be that the Ivy League is incredibly deep now. Used to be a 1 or 2 team league. And even Tilman wasn't "successful" there before getting the Maryland gig... he had near a .500 record.

                                                                            But you should be able to recruit at a high level there, and if you can win at Yale/Penn/Brown like we've seen the past few years there is no reason you can't do it at Harvard.
                                                                            If Admissions/the Administration is tired of losing to Penn, Yale (especially Yale) and Brown, they may give you the latitude you need to succeed. I remember a Harvard team coached by the current AD, Scalise, almost knocking off Hopkins by dominating the faceoff X in an early 80s quarterfinal game. Have they ever been close since?

                                                                            Comment


                                                                            • Ryan Wellner from Navy to be new DC in South Bend.

                                                                              Comment


                                                                              • Originally posted by Picasso View Post
                                                                                Maybe Will Corrigan who knows the offense and defense. Definitely will be a former player. “Look for KC to coach both sides of the ball. Recruiting could suffer unless KA steps on...
                                                                                Or maybe GB keeps everyone on ice in Boston for a triumphant return back to SB together in 3-4 years when KC retires. That way GB gets to check the HC box now (hopefully with a winning record this time) and his OC gets to punch the D1 assistant box. Like most things in life, timing is everything.

                                                                                Comment


                                                                                • Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                                                                                  Ryan Wellner from Navy to be new DC in South Bend.
                                                                                  If true, that's a great hire, even better guy. Ryan and KC will be an interesting dynamic.

                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                  • I think he was sour he didn't get the head coaching job at Navy. Corrigan should be comfortable giving him full control of the D. Is this a good hire or a home run hire? Not sure.....

                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                    • This is an outstanding hire. Good coach and solid recruiter. Shocked he didn’t get the head gig at Stony Brook. Very happy for GB at Harvard. With the right support I think he should be an ivy threat in short order. I just hope he goes back to his roots and starts recruiting some of the LI top schools. I feel he neglected those places while at ND to the detriment of the program with the exception of Kav.

                                                                                      Comment


                                                                                      • Originally posted by irishrb View Post
                                                                                        I think he was sour he didn't get the head coaching job at Navy. Corrigan should be comfortable giving him full control of the D. Is this a good hire or a home run hire? Not sure.....
                                                                                        As good of a hire as ND could’ve made. Needed a defensive mind and someone who could recruit, off the top of my head I can’t think of anyone on the market that would’ve been better on paper.

                                                                                        Comment


                                                                                        • Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                                                                                          As good of a hire as ND could’ve made. Needed a defensive mind and someone who could recruit, off the top of my head I can’t think of anyone on the market that would’ve been better on paper.
                                                                                          Agree completely. Just hope KC lets him coach otherwise it could be a short stay. Ryan is his own man and an accomplished coach not a newbie. Hope GB fills his staff at Harvard with proven coaches. My guess is he goes back to his Irish roots and recruits coaches with strong ND ties. AI restrictions and the lack of athletic $$ will limit his pool of applicants somewhat but its easier to recruit to the East Coast than rural Indiana. Guessing he knocks it out of the park recruiting wise.

                                                                                          Comment


                                                                                          • Got to see the professional Irish lacrosse team...aka the Redwoods win this weekend. I'll say this, the ND LAX men are just first class all around...so polite and well spoken...truly unfortunate with the talent they have in the upper levles that they have not won it all yet!

                                                                                            Comment


                                                                                            • Originally posted by Picasso View Post
                                                                                              Agree completely. Just hope KC lets him coach otherwise it could be a short stay. Ryan is his own man and an accomplished coach not a newbie. Hope GB fills his staff at Harvard with proven coaches. My guess is he goes back to his Irish roots and recruits coaches with strong ND ties. AI restrictions and the lack of athletic $$ will limit his pool of applicants somewhat but its easier to recruit to the East Coast than rural Indiana. Guessing he knocks it out of the park recruiting wise.
                                                                                              College Crosse confirms the Crimson staff has Irish origins. Here’s a prediction: the plan is for the Crimson staff to move to SB in 4-5 years when KC retires. GB holds the reigns for 2-4 more years before Will takes the helm.

                                                                                              Comment


                                                                                              • 2019 Outlook

                                                                                                2019-20 Outlook: Big changes afoot in South Bend. Complete overhaul of assistant coaching staff. Lost two of three top offensive initiators, solid poles and a good SSDM. Return inconsistent keeper, ever improving solid FOGO, and lot of mid tier finishing attackmen, athletic (not counting BC) but unrefined offensive middies and a solid D. Will be tough sledding in the ACC with a mercurial goalie, a very average group of LSMs and all finishers (translation no real initiators) on attack. Unless this group of middies really steps up, the Irish dominate FOs and they get consistent shut down D play, they are destined to finish out of the top ten.
                                                                                                Last edited by Picasso; 08-04-2019, 02:46 PM.

                                                                                                Comment


                                                                                                • Anyone else watch the Premier League Lacrosse championship just now? The Redwoods, who have several ND guys (Perkovic, Kavanagh, Garnsey), came back from a 9-2 deficit but dropped in OT. Unfortunately, that scenario is all too familiar for the guys. Great season of a well-run lacrosse league, though.
                                                                                                  Just remember your sitz im leben and it shouldn't be a problem.

                                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                                  • Originally posted by jjsccer2 View Post
                                                                                                    Anyone else watch the Premier League Lacrosse championship just now? The Redwoods, who have several ND guys (Perkovic, Kavanagh, Garnsey), came back from a 9-2 deficit but dropped in OT. Unfortunately, that scenario is all too familiar for the guys. Great season of a well-run lacrosse league, though.
                                                                                                    Two reasons the Redwoods lost. Coach Nate didn't have Sexton in at LSM at the end of regulation. Karalunas is an offense first LSM and didn't talk Landis through the pick well (should have probably switched there). Sexton is much more physical. Landis failed to close the gate in either the end of regulation or in overtime. Never give Rambo a bull dodge left. You have to love the way they came back but you have to know how to close the big games out.

                                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                                    • Sounds promosing....Incoming recruiting class ranking from Insidelacrosse

                                                                                                      2. Notre Dame
                                                                                                      Top 100: Jonathan Ford, Marco Napolitano, Tate Young
                                                                                                      Top 50: Max Schalit, Jake Taylor, Reilly Gray, Patrick Kavanagh, Liam Entenmann

                                                                                                      While Kevin Corrigan’s staff took a hit, new Fighting Irish assistants Chris Wojcik and Ryan Wellner walk into a favorable position with their freshmen. Accompanied by a strong group of non-hotbed longpoles in front of him, top-ranked keeper Liam Entenmann should make an early push for time. Attackmen Patrick Kavanagh and Jake Taylor should to fit in well with the Irish attack. The Fighting Irish graduated a lot in the middle of the field, so this crop of six midfielders could be leaned on going forward.

                                                                                                      Comment

                                                                                                      Adsense

                                                                                                      Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X