Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ugh. another winnable game lost

Comment

• So frustrating...Total domination on face-offs and they just get outplayed.
      First why wasn't this game played indoors???
      Notre Dame's SSDM exposed....
      Notre Dame missing layups....
      Just not a good year so far...probably need to beat unc 2 weeks in a row to get in...
      I'll say it...Time for Corrigan to leave! This team needs fresh blood on the sidelines to get the most out of their offensive units.

Comment

• Originally posted by tom prendergast View Post
        ugh. another winnable game lost
        Ah yes, a couple of observations: the same SSDMs killed them again down the stretch. Zullo had a killer save when they were making their comeback but an SSDM breakdown gave the Big Red the game. Overall close D did not look their normal great self: stickwork was sloppy and defensive slides (especially to the shorties) looked late. Loved the irish play at the X but Constiblie going cold in the second half, Gleebo turning the ball over too many times on dive plays (one with three guys covering him) as well as a predictable O made the Big Red D's job a lot easier. Here's a question for the former players on the forum: why is the DC putting in the worst SSDM when you've just scored three goals (your defensive players are all well rested) and are within a goal of tying up the score? Who's running the box: Socrates?

A coaching observation: Aside from needs improvement on the Xs and Os, the HC needs to bite his lip more. You've just made a great run to come within one and he's going apoplectic on the sideline. When you're on a run and your team makes a mistake, you need to "shake it off" smile (even if it kills you), clap your hands and encourage (see John Danowski), An overly negative reaction will cause your players to tighten up and play poorly. Watch the film if you want to see a textbook training video on how to sabotage a comeback from the sidelines.
        Last edited by Picasso; 04-14-2019, 01:21 PM.

Comment

• The season is probably over. UNC is a must win, and then they probably need to win at least one and maybe two games in ACC tournament.

Comment

• Originally posted by Picasso View Post
            Ah yes, a couple of observations: the same SSDMs killed them again down the stretch. Zullo had a killer save when they were making their comeback but an SSDM breakdown gave the Big Red the game. Overall close D did not look their normal great self: stickwork was sloppy and defensive slides (especially to the shorties) looked late. Loved the irish play at the X but Constiblie going cold in the second half, Gleebo turning the ball over too many times on dive plays (one with three guys covering him) as well as a predictable O made the Big Red D's job a lot easier. Here's a question for the former players on the forum: why is the DC putting in the worst SSDM when you've just scored three goals (your defensive players are all well rested) and are within a goal of tying up the score? Who's running the box: Socrates?
            True to the first bold....
            No clue to the second bold....

The first is why I want new blood on the sidelines...The second just adds fuel to the fire to me...

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
              The season is probably over. UNC is a must win, and then they probably need to win at least one and maybe two games in ACC tournament.
              It's too late (and this staff is clearly incapabable of make wholesale changes) for a schematic enema folks. That being said, I still have hope for this team. If the coach puts BC at the point on fast breaks, runs Gleebo out of the box more, and most importantly switches up the SSDM coverage, this team can beat anyone especially an undisciplined Tarheel squad.

If Leonard dominates the X the way he did today next week, I would start running a two way O middie (maybe two) on the wing. With the way Leonard pinches and pops, I like a 5 on 4 break with an O middie in the mix. Also, Constabile is a much better passer than Serge ever was: how about putting him at the point on FOs. Roll him into the point position and he'll stretch the opposition's transition D out thereby giving you more layups. In summary, ND needs a higher conversion rate out of their transition O and better SSDM play (coupled with better stickwork and team D by the poles). P.S.: Mirer needs to play more, he's a tough match up (physically) to cover for a shortie.

Comment

• I'll be honest guys, I haven't had the opportunity to watch at all this year but I'm surprised by the weakness at the SSDM position from your reports. Seems like each week is plugging a new leak between goal and other issues popping up. Have they put together a complete game yet this year?
                It troubles me a bit as an attackman that Picasso thinks a middie is a better transition option at the point to run the break. Damn, must not be good. Seems like even Breschi could figure out to prevent the break off of the FO.
                Corrigan still acting like a hybrid Petro/Tierney on the sidelines? Not a good look, and like Pic said, not very helpful.
                Going to try to find a replay of today. Have a great week guys, I have to get back into it. My favorite time of the year and been too damn busy to watch.

Comment

• Just saw this on insidelacrosse.com:

The Irish host UNC this weekend.
                  Unofficially, here are Anish Shroff’s calculations.

If UNC wins the ACC seeds are:
                  1. Virginia
                  2. North Carolina
                  3. Syracuse
                  4. Duke
                  5. Notre Dame

If ND wins:
                  1. Virginia
                  2. Duke
                  3. Notre Dame
                  4. Syracuse
                  5. North Carolina
                  So either way, it'll be 'Cuse vs. Carolina and Duke vs. Notre Dame.

Obviously HUGE game against unc. I just don't see ND beating Duke....Beat Carolina, and hope the hard schedule gives them a high enough RPI to have a fighting chance to get in...

Comment

• Originally posted by irishrb View Post
                    Just saw this on insidelacrosse.com:

1. Virginia
                    2. North Carolina
                    3. Syracuse
                    4. Duke
                    5. Notre Dame

If ND wins:
                    1. Virginia
                    2. Duke
                    3. Notre Dame
                    4. Syracuse
                    5. North Carolina

Obviously HUGE game against unc. I just don't see ND beating Duke....Beat Carolina, and hope the hard schedule gives them a high enough RPI to have a fighting chance to get in...
                    Ideal scenario is playing Duke in 2v3 after beating Carolina, because then that win gets you in the NCAA tournament.

Other scenario means you need to win 3 in a row in ACC tournament to get in and that's highly improbable.

So we have a two game season, and it starts next weekend.

Comment

• If they can beat unc, I think they might still have a chance to get in. Pretty slim...but still a possibility.

Comment

Just saw this on insidelacrosse.com:

1. Virginia
                        2. North Carolina
                        3. Syracuse
                        4. Duke
                        5. Notre Dame

If ND wins:
                        1. Virginia
                        2. Duke
                        3. Notre Dame
                        4. Syracuse
                        5. North Carolina

is our game the only ACC conference game left?

Comment

is our game the only ACC conference game left?
                          Yes, it is.

Comment

• According to Laxmagazine.com:
                            Notre Dame has a top-10 RPI, a top-five schedule and a pair of high-end victories (Maryland and Syracuse). The Irish’s chances of inclusion will be pretty good if they fend off North Carolina this weekend....

Comment

According to Laxmagazine.com:
                              Notre Dame has a top-10 RPI, a top-five schedule and a pair of high-end victories (Maryland and Syracuse). The Irish’s chances of inclusion will be pretty good if they fend off North Carolina this weekend....
                              Seriously, if they fix (hubris and pride can kill seasoned coaches) the aforementioned defensive issues and play with more consistent energy this team could be a giant killer down the stretch. Even a FF team and if they make it that far anything can happen. How far they go in largely a matter of coaching adjustments and ability to motivate. Wouldn't a NC in a year you hit 300 be a grand slam. Here's hoping it happens.

Comment

Seriously, if they fix (hubris and pride can kill seasoned coaches) the aforementioned defensive issues and play with more consistent energy this team could be a giant killer down the stretch. Even a FF team and if they make it that far anything can happen. How far they go in largely a matter of coaching adjustments and ability to motivate. Wouldn't a NC in a year you hit 300 be a grand slam. Here's hoping it happens.

Well Carolina's last championship came in Philly, when they just squeezed into the tourney to begin with...So let's get the ball rollin'

Comment

• Well the Irish took care of business today beating carolina 12-10. Big games by Gleason, Willets. Notre Dame outshot unc 50-26!
                                  Top 10 NCAA reveal didn't have ND in it, but I think that win gets them in, especially if conference favorites take care of business.
                                  Head scratcher with the coaches changing goalies...which did not work out...Not the time to be playing mental games with your goalies!

Comment

Well the Irish took care of business today beating carolina 12-10. Big games by Gleason, Willets. Notre Dame outshot unc 50-26!
                                    Top 10 NCAA reveal didn't have ND in it, but I think that win gets them in, especially if conference favorites take care of business.
                                    Head scratcher with the coaches changing goalies...which did not work out...Not the time to be playing mental games with your goalies!
                                    When a staff can't admit it was mistaken that falls in the category of coaching hubris: based on the stats, yesterday's hubris was not a good decision for the team. Let's hope everyone learns their lesson (team first, ego second), shakes it off and the Irish beat the Dookies in the ACC tournament and win their second Conference SHIP in a row. By the way, no team wins a national championship without a hot confident keeper.

Gleebo getting #40 was spot on. Great selfless player playing in the right era: shot clock with the new dive rule is perfect for his game.

Comment

Well the Irish took care of business today beating carolina 12-10. Big games by Gleason, Willets. Notre Dame outshot unc 50-26!
                                      Yeah the Goalie thing was baffling. To me Zullo has been much better than Schmidt. Schmidt was particularly bad yesterday. He gave up 4 goals with only one save.

If Schmidt starts vs Duke I'm very surprised and disappointed.

Comment

• FYI ACC semifinals on now.

Comment

• ND ousts duke 12-10!!! That will lock them in!
                                          Great Face-offs
                                          The move to play Schmidt paid off...today...as that's the best he's looked all year.
                                          Costabile just continues to impress!
                                          Overall frustrating year but this team can definitely make some noise, especially if they get face-offs and goalie play like they did today!
                                          Anyone know if Garnsey is a possibility come tourney time??

Comment

• Schmidt played his best game of the year by far. If he had played that way all year, ND is probably undefeated.

Leonard dominant at the faceoff dot and sitting at near 60% on the year... huge difference maker.

Comment

Schmidt played his best game of the year by far. If he had played that way all year, ND is probably undefeated.

Leonard dominant at the faceoff dot and sitting at near 60% on the year... huge difference maker.
                                              Completely agree on the keeper. FOs have a godsend this year.

My sources tell me the Wahoos are still smarting over the whooping the Irish gave them last year in the ACC SHIP. Especially when the HC kept the starters in when they were way up and the game was in hand. I'm really looking forward to this game. Lots of emotion, speed and physicality. How the keepers play will be the difference! UVA has a similar goalie situation to ND? All four keepers are in play. This is a "take no prisoners" game as I believe it will really impact rankings.

Comment

• https://www.insidelacrosse.com/artic...rth-look/54420

Bad status quo... ND would have to hope they jump up with a win over Virginia or tumble out of being a seeded team with a loss. Hosting Denver coupled with Penn State in the next round would be a nightmare draw.

Comment

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/artic...rth-look/54420

Bad status quo... ND would have to hope they jump up with a win over Virginia or tumble out of being a seeded team with a loss. Hosting Denver coupled with Penn State in the next round would be a nightmare draw.
                                                  Yes, I thought the same thing.
                                                  What I would like to see...
                                                  ND beats uva
                                                  Loyola loses

ND jumps to a six...still probably stuck with Denver if they win their tourney...
                                                  Penn jumps to three

Comment

• maryland going down, again, to hopkins....hurts ND's RPI a little, but probably enables ND to jump them in the tourney seedings....if they beat uva that is...
                                                    Will be interesting to see what hopkins brings to the table against psu, as they got embarrassed last time they played them.

Comment

• Talk about an ugly, uninspired game...ugh. They totally looked like they didn't want to play today. Will be interesting to see where they end up tomorrow.

Comment

Completely agree on the keeper. FOs have a godsend this year.

My sources tell me the Wahoos are still smarting over the whooping the Irish gave them last year in the ACC SHIP. Especially when the HC kept the starters in when they were way up and the game was in hand. I'm really looking forward to this game. Lots of emotion, speed and physicality. How the keepers play will be the difference! UVA has a similar goalie situation to ND? All four keepers are in play. This is a "take no prisoners" game as I believe it will really impact rankings.
                                                        The Cavaliers took no prisoners today. Completely dominant performance by UVA. They outgroundballed us all over the field and both their keeper and FOGO outplayed ours. We really struggled with stupid TOs. Let's hope this is the last egg this bunch lays this year.

Comment

• Not seeing a good draw for them... 8 seed against a hot Hopkins team, and if they escape that the hottest team in the country by a wide mile in psu...Let's hope that's not what they get...

Comment

• ND is 7th seed, not 8th. Ist game is home vs John's Hopkins (8-7). Duke rematch if both teams win 1st round.

Denver didn't make the field.

Comment

ND is 7th seed, not 8th. Ist game is home vs John's Hopkins (8-7). Duke rematch if both teams win 1st round.

Denver didn't make the field.
                                                              Ya, I posted that before the tourney...it's just what I was seeing people say....
                                                              Still a tough draw.

Comment

• If Hopkins plays how they did early in the year, ND wins easy. If Hopkins plays how they have for the past two weeks, ND will get stomped.

Hopkins looked reallllllllly good against Penn State.

Comment

If Hopkins plays how they did early in the year, ND wins easy. If Hopkins plays how they have for the past two weeks, ND will get stomped.

Hopkins looked reallllllllly good against Penn State.
                                                                  Or you could say If ND plays like they did vs Duke they win easy, and if they play like they did vs UVA they get stomped.

Which ND team will show up? They go up and down. Doesn't look good for ND to make any extended run tho we haven't won 3 in a row all year.

Comment

Or you could say If ND plays like they did vs Duke they win easy, and if they play like they did vs UVA they get stomped.

Which ND team will show up? They go up and down. Doesn't look good for ND to make any extended run tho we haven't won 3 in a row all year.
                                                                    I'm not sure that's a fair characterization. The "best" ND team we've seen this year is not beating the Hopkins team from the past 3 games. Hopkins has 3 weeks in a row of playing ELITE offense and performing at a level on par with Penn State. There has not been a single game ND has played this year where I can say "if ND plays like they did against..." they will be fine.

In terms of getting to a Final 4, I would've much rather been an unseeded team in the 4/5 bracket than having to play Hopkins and Duke. That's 2 of the top 4 teams in the country right now... difficult to imagine a harder draw, unless Hopkins turns back into a pumpkin.

Comment

I'm not sure that's a fair characterization. The "best" ND team we've seen this year is not beating the Hopkins team from the past 3 games. Hopkins has 3 weeks in a row of playing ELITE offense and performing at a level on par with Penn State. There has not been a single game ND has played this year where I can say "if ND plays like they did against..." they will be fine.

In terms of getting to a Final 4, I would've much rather been an unseeded team in the 4/5 bracket than having to play Hopkins and Duke. That's 2 of the top 4 teams in the country right now... difficult to imagine a harder draw, unless Hopkins turns back into a pumpkin.
                                                                      This in a nutshell....Even in the Duke win, if Giles-Harris doesn't go out, that game is definitely still in doubt, plust I just didn't see that sense of urgency from duke, as that was a pretty meaningless game for them. I totally would have rather ND be unseeded in the4/5 bracket, or get the unseeded draw maryland got...If Towson's fogo doesn't play, that's huge, and I don't think ND would have lost to uva for a third straight time. I actually think uva should have gotten the 2 seed.

Comment

This in a nutshell....Even in the Duke win, if Giles-Harris doesn't go out, that game is definitely still in doubt, plust I just didn't see that sense of urgency from duke, as that was a pretty meaningless game for them. I totally would have rather ND be unseeded in the4/5 bracket, or get the unseeded draw maryland got...If Towson's fogo doesn't play, that's huge, and I don't think ND would have lost to uva for a third straight time. I actually think uva should have gotten the 2 seed.
                                                                        Was Corrigan playing possum or has this program peaked too early again? Mistakes can happen but how do you explain the lack of hustle for gbs in the ACC Championship?

Comment

• Didn’t take Lars long to get UVA rolling again. Watched the Hop-PSU game, looks like Petro has the Hop peaking right now. Definitely a tough draw, but as we all know anything is possible come tourney time. Any of you guys catch the Army game on Sunday?

Comment

Was Corrigan playing possum or has this program peaked too early again? Mistakes can happen but how do you explain the lack of hustle for gbs in the ACC Championship?
                                                                            Did they ever really peak this year? This team is loaded top rated recruits... Let's hope Coach gets the most out of them during the month of May.
                                                                            Last edited by irishrb; 05-07-2019, 10:52 AM.

Comment

• https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/07/s...-lacrosse.html

Pretty cool article. I love seeing the growth of the creators game

Comment

• Notre Dame's Ryder Garnsey Likely To Be Reinstated, Could Play Against Hopkins

This could be absolutely huge! Adding a healthy Garnsey to this offense really could be the spark they need to set them over the top!

Comment

Notre Dame's Ryder Garnsey Likely To Be Reinstated, Could Play Against Hopkins

This could be absolutely huge! Adding a healthy Garnsey to this offense really could be the spark they need to set them over the top!
                                                                                  This the year.......Garnsey leads them to the Promised Land. Let’s hope he’s Jimmy Butler not Kyrie.

Comment

• Where's this story from? Has he been practicing?

Comment

• Insidelacrosse...

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/artic...-hopkins/54498

It looks like he has been practicing!

Comment

Insidelacrosse...

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/artic...-hopkins/54498

It looks like he has been practicing!
                                                                                        Nice! Maybe this can inspire the lethargic Irish. Wonder who he would replace, maybe move Gleason to midfield?

Comment

Nice! Maybe this can inspire the lethargic Irish. Wonder who he would replace, maybe move Gleason to midfield?
                                                                                          100% what I would do. That would give you two natural, playmaking lefties over there.

Comment

• <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">When you&#39;re inside the mind of senior goalie Samantha Giacolone, one thing&#39;s certain...<br><br>... she&#39;s fearless.<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/GoIrish?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#GoIrish </a> <a href="https://t.co/loK1jtFdrE">pic.twitter.com/loK1jtFdrE</a></p>&mdash; Notre Dame W Lax (@NDWomensLax) <a href="https://twitter.com/NDWomensLax/status/1126633479545020416?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 9, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Comment

• Bryan Costabile ACC offensive player of the year.

If Garnsey plays, I would expect them to have Gleason run a combo role with 1st midfield. Can’t pole both him and Costabile.

Comment

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">When you're inside the mind of senior goalie Samantha Giacolone, one thing's certain...<br><br>... she's fearless.<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/GoIrish?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#GoIrish </a> <a href="https://t.co/loK1jtFdrE">pic.twitter.com/loK1jtFdrE</a></p>&mdash; Notre Dame W Lax (@NDWomensLax) <a href="https://twitter.com/NDWomensLax/status/1126633479545020416?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 9, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                                                                                                This is awesome
                                                                                                Hi!

Comment

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">When you're inside the mind of senior goalie Samantha Giacolone, one thing's certain...<br><br>... she's fearless.<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/GoIrish?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#GoIrish </a> <a href="https://t.co/loK1jtFdrE">pic.twitter.com/loK1jtFdrE</a></p>&mdash; Notre Dame W Lax (@NDWomensLax) <a href="https://twitter.com/NDWomensLax/status/1126633479545020416?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 9, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                                                                                                  Awesome video Lax! Her dad was a teacher and coach in my high school way back when. So cool to see this

Comment

• <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Guys I think Ryder Garnsey is going to play this weekend <a href="https://t.co/1LOgQtA6Og">pic.twitter.com/1LOgQtA6Og</a></p>&mdash; Dan Aburn (@Dan_Aburn) <a href="https://twitter.com/Dan_Aburn/status/1126988303868354560?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 10, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Comment

• Call me crazy, but when I heard this news, I went from thinking they were going to lose to Hopkins to thinking they have a legitimate chance to win it all. Don't screw it up Corrigan!

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X