Notre Dame Lacrosse Open thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Picasso View Post
    FOs and the keeper worry the heck out of me. To quote Tom Cruise in Risky Business, sometimes you have to say "WTF" on offense. Let the boys play loose and free! Tighten up than D and press out a little more to give that keeper some confidence. Allowing that many goals is really worrisome. Another big test next week, Tierney has had Corrigan's number for as long as I can remember. See the NCAA tape for a quick refresher video session.
    Has ND ever had a good face off man? It is so frustrating to me. I know they've had good wings, but a true FOGO????
    Still confused with Corrigan's late game coaching. ND has possession, in OT, man-up for 30 seconds, after a break in action, and they never really attempt to set up a shot until it's even up....ummm okay....

Comment

Originally posted by irishrb View Post
      Has ND ever had a good face off man? It is so frustrating to me. I know they've had good wings, but a true FOGO????
      Still confused with Corrigan's late game coaching. ND has possession, in OT, man-up for 30 seconds, after a break in action, and they never really attempt to set up a shot until it's even up....ummm okay....
      I was referencing the entire FO game (which includes wings) and yes it all needs work. On a positive note, our athleticism (more transition offense and defense) is more of an asset under the new shot clock. Still need better play from the keeper and LSM position to win away or on a neutral field (I posit Loftus gives ND a 3 goal advantage). On the coaching front, why doesn't Coach A handle more of the in-game tactical adjustments? He seems not to suffer from "analysis paralysis" and doesn't allow his emotions to impact his decision making.

Comment

ND vs Denver about to get going in California. Stream link here -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A76i...ature=youtu.be

Comment

Nice first half...Third not so much...doing everything they can to give this game away.

Comment

Overall, the defense played excellent. They were routinely put in bad spots all night and with the exception of the goal with 1 second left in the 3Q they answered the bell as best they could. They were very cohesive and disruptive.

The offense was good for a half and then they started shooting the ball horribly. The opportunities were there, they just failed to capitalize. They also did not take care of the ball well enough and that has already been what bit them once this year (Richmond).

ND needs to improve drastically at ground balls, but overall they showed some really good things in their first month of play. Richmond is starting to seem like a bit of a mirage considering the weather conditions.

Comment

Agreed....D played well...The unit really slides and recovers very quickly.
              Nice to see the offense with multiple, capable scorers...Second half they did get sloppy and definitely missed some opportunities.
              The number of 50/50 balls they don't come up with definitely has to get better. Ya, ground ball drills all week....
              Face off unit definitely still has to get better. I don't think that guy from Denver had good stats at all.....and part of getting better involves Loenard taking care of the ball if he does get it.
              Still pumped as they took control of that game from the start and never fell behind!

Comment

Irish up 7-4 at half time vs Virginia. Slow start and dominant 2nd qtr.

Comment

collapse in process. UVA up 11-10 6 min left. Irish were up 10-5 early in 3rd.

Comment

Originally posted by tom prendergast View Post
                    Ya, epic collapse. Bad reffing, Bad luck, and Bad second half play. Absolutely annoying loss.

Comment

Officiating really turned the game on it’s head. Once a few calls in a row went against ND they stopped getting opportunities... that’s on defense and 50/50 plays to get them possession, but there was about a 10 minute span where I don’t know what you’re supposed to do if you’re Notre Dame. Refs just gave UVA opportunity after opportunity in end 3Q and start of 4Q. After that, ND looked completely gassed and had a lot of self-inflicted mistakes.

Comment

Looked to me we broke down physically in the 4th quarter. Lots of guys falling down, getting knocked down. Whatever reason, way too many turnovers. Won faceoffs, then lost the ball soon after.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                          Officiating really turned the game on itís head. Once a few calls in a row went against ND they stopped getting opportunities... thatís on defense and 50/50 plays to get them possession, but there was about a 10 minute span where I donít know what youíre supposed to do if youíre Notre Dame. Refs just gave UVA opportunity after opportunity in end 3Q and start of 4Q. After that, ND looked completely gassed and had a lot of self-inflicted mistakes.
                          YUP...exactly why I put it in that order...The reffing during that stretch was an absolute joke. Then Virginia was just getting ridiculous bounces off shots, posts, etc. that were landing right back in one of their sticks for a couple easy goals. Finally, ND just lost steam and mo, and that was it. I will say, I don't know if it's just my negativity or what, but I don't feel like this team ever comes up with the 50/50 balls...ever.

Comment

I don't know what the solution is but officiating in NCAA lacrosse is terrible. Fouls are inconsistent state to state and the crease dive rule has turned out to be incredibly subjective.

Comment

Irish add another one in the win column with a 12-9 victory over Michigan. Notre Dame pretty much dominated the stats....

Face-offs: 20-4 (Michigan actually started with a long pole here)
                              Ground Balls: 38-23
                              Shots-on-goal: 25-12

I'll give Michigan credit, knowing they had no guy at X, they played a hard 10 man ride that gave ND fits, and at times made ND look very sloppy with 17 turnovers. Definitely not the cleanest game by the Irish, but hopefully it gives them some confidence moving forward as they host an undefeated OSU team on Saturday.

Comment

ND with a nice 6-2 advantage over 6-0 Ohio st at the half. Was 2-2.

Comment

Yikes. Appalling meltdown vs. OSU.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishTusker View Post
                                    Yikes. Appalling meltdown vs. OSU.
                                    virginia game all over again

Comment

This team is absolutely frustrating to watch. Playing well, with a good lead...let's go to sleep on offense...let's not get ground balls....Just annoying.

Comment

This team is absolutely frustrating to watch. Playing well, with a good lead...let's go to sleep on offense...let's not get ground balls....Just annoying.
                                        seems to me we're a little weak physically. Not on defense, but the midfielders can't seems to stay upright. Lots of turnovers.

Comment

Historically bad loss for Notre Dame. They will need some luck to make the playoffs.

Comment

Historically bad loss for Notre Dame. They will need some luck to make the playoffs.
                                            Yes they will. But I truly believe they can go 4-1 given their home field advantage. This team is better than I expected. They are much better at attack and at the FO X than expected. Their close D is amazing but Gerry is still keeping them on a leash. I would be pressuring out further and alternating in no slide or slow to slide schemes.

Hard to go far when your goalie is saving is below 0.500. Especially when you consider how good the D is front of him. This is the elephant in the room. If the keeper rebounds and starts seeing the ball, they have a good enough team to make a deep run in the NCAAs. Especially given the parity in D1.

Comment

Yes they will. But I truly believe they can go 4-1 given their home field advantage. This team is better than I expected. They are much better at attack and at the FO X than expected. Their close D is amazing but Gerry is still keeping them on a leash. I would be pressuring out further and alternating in no slide or slow to slide schemes.

Hard to go far when your goalie is saving is below 0.500. Especially when you consider how good the D is front of him. This is the elephant in the room. If the keeper rebounds and starts seeing the ball, they have a good enough team to make a deep run in the NCAAs. Especially given the parity in D1.
                                              Leonard actually won more than he lost yesterday, after a slow start. Won a couple late that almost turned it for us. And Schmidt stopped everything in the first half, and nothing in the second. So he might have a good full game in him. We have other GK's on the roster but who knows if they are any good.

Comment

Leonard actually won more than he lost yesterday, after a slow start. Won a couple late that almost turned it for us. And Schmidt stopped everything in the first half, and nothing in the second. So he might have a good full game in him. We have other GK's on the roster but who knows if they are any good.

Yes, the FOGO position is not the problem. An inconsistent keeper, lack of energetic ground ball play and poor SSDM coverage killed the Irish yesterday. The slide package in OT looked disjointed especially given the OSU attacker was covered.

Comment

Yes, the FOGO position is not the problem. An inconsistent keeper, lack of energetic ground ball play and poor SSDM coverage killed the Irish yesterday. The slide package in OT looked disjointed especially given the OSU attacker was covered.
                                                  Ding! Ding! Ding! 100% agree. Their inability to come up with routine ground balls sometimes is mind-boggling to me. I won't name names, but one SSDM in particular literally gets beat every play. ND has had tremendous recruiting. I can't imagine there's not someone with quicker feet for the SSDM position.
                                                  Part of these big lead losses has got to fall on the coaches too. Let's keep the team...offense....moving!

Comment

Ding! Ding! Ding! 100% agree. Their inability to come up with routine ground balls sometimes is mind-boggling to me. I won't name names, but one SSDM in particular literally gets beat every play. ND has had tremendous recruiting. I can't imagine there's not someone with quicker feet for the SSDM position.
                                                    Part of these big lead losses has got to fall on the coaches too. Let's keep the team...offense....moving!
                                                    Watch the film. One SSDM can't play team D to save his life. Look for the remaining opponents to exploit this Achilles Heel by playing a two man game when he's adjacent. Lots of 8-10 yard time and room shots.

Comment

Pretty impressive first half performance against the cuse. They are definitely playing with a sense of urgency. No way they give this game up....right?

Comment

Pretty impressive first half performance against the cuse. They are definitely playing with a sense of urgency. No way they give this game up....right?
                                                        After Virginia and Ohio St never say never. But if it happens again ...I don't know if there's hope.

Comment

After Virginia and Ohio St never say never. But if it happens again ...I don't know if there's hope.
                                                          Ya, I just told my boys, if they lose this one, I'm done. Keep killin' this team. Cuse is undisciplined and annoying!

Comment

ND trying to set a new standard by blowing a 9 goal lead.

Syracuse has 7 unanswered goals. It is truly absurd how this team continues to implode in the second halfs of these games.

Comment

ND trying to set a new standard by blowing a 9 goal lead.

Syracuse has 7 unanswered goals. It is truly absurd how this team continues to implode in the second halfs of these games.
                                                              And not one timeout by Corrigan as this team implodes...

Comment

And not one timeout by Corrigan as this team implodes...
                                                                Itís just insane. ND is going to hold on to win by a comfortable 3 goal margin, but these 3rd quarter implosions have got to stop. They have got to find an answer.

Schmidt also got pulled after giving up 9 with a 40% save percentage. Thatís a big part of why these ďrunsĒ happen.

Comment

Itís just insane. ND is going to hold on to win by a comfortable 3 goal margin, but these 3rd quarter implosions have got to stop. They have got to find an answer.

Schmidt also got pulled after giving up 9 with a 40% save percentage. Thatís a big part of why these ďrunsĒ happen.
                                                                  Ya, they come out in the third and have two pretty good looks....but by non-shooters....Leanord and Schantz...so they don't convert...and then nothing...just dominated..Leanord doesn't even give a fight at X and Schmidt has a 70 year old reaction...
                                                                  I don't see any way they win at Duke next week. That's going to put them in a tough position for their last 3 games.

Comment

Ya, they come out in the third and have two pretty good looks....but by non-shooters....Leanord and Schantz...so they don't convert...and then nothing...just dominated..Leanord doesn't even give a fight at X and Schmidt has a 70 year old reaction...
                                                                    I don't see any way they win at Duke next week. That's going to put them in a tough position for their last 3 games.
                                                                    Lacrosse under the new shot clock is often a game of offensive runs (see Penn State MD game last night). I don't expect offensive dominance from ND for 4 quarters against top competition: That being said the O is scoring enough to win. At the faceoff X, I also don't expect a winning percentage above 60% but am pleasantly surprised by the upgrade of this unit. Defensively, I'm just not seeing the required coaching adjustments (schematically and personnel wise). When a D1 keeper is consistently (for the last two years) giving up 15-20 yard shots sans a screen you better have a plan B in the goal (that 's a recruiting and player development/confidence building issue) or press your D out further. The success of ND defensive scheme is 100% reliant on having a good outside shot stopper in the cage. Two years in a row, the excellence of the Irish poles has being squandered by the staff. In Texas, we call the hubris that drives this coaching under-performance "All hat and no cattle".

Comment

What this team really needs is another one of Coach C's sons to come through and run the offense ... there's always adoption!!!

Comment

Originally posted by matman4593 View Post
                                                                        What this team really needs is another one of Coach C's sons to come through and run the offense ... there's always adoption!!!
                                                                        LOL, SSDM still killing them on the field, does anyone on the staff watch film or haven't they developed a better alternative. Zullo standing on his head. They will need to explode in the latter half to compete.

Comment

LOL, SSDM still killing them on the field, does anyone on the staff watch film or haven't they developed a better alternative. Zullo standing on his head. They will need to explode in the latter half to compete.
                                                                          Ya....I just don't get it....

Comment

Ya....I just don't get it....
                                                                            Tough loss. Let's hope they rebound and finish strong. Hoping they don't go 0-3 or 1-2 because not making the ACC and the NCAA tourney would be a bummer.

Comment

• #88
                                                                              Tough loss. Let's hope they rebound and finish strong. Hoping they don't go 0-3 or 1-2 because not making the ACC and the NCAA tourney would be a bummer.
                                                                              I suspect they come back and beat Marquette...squeeze one out against Cornell and then who knows with UNC.. All 5 teams make the ACC tourney this year though...4 plays 5 to take on the 1.

Comment

• #89
                                                                                I suspect they come back and beat Marquette...squeeze one out against Cornell and then who knows with UNC.. All 5 teams make the ACC tourney this year though...4 plays 5 to take on the 1.
                                                                                Didn't know that, play in game.

Comment

• #90
                                                                                  Maybe if they can sneak in, we can see Ryder return after the semester ends which will allow Gleebo to run through the box. Is Garnsey allowed to practice? I like the change at goalie but no one can stop D1 shooters on the doorstep forever. Get that team D fixed. Pick 3 primary SSDMs and don't slide so fast to your top notch poles. Looks to me like our team D is backsliding and knowing the talent on the field pretty well that's 80% on the coaching. Leave the hubris and self promotion hype in a box until you win the SHIP! Coach em up.....

Comment

• #91
                                                                                    Maybe if they can sneak in, we can see Ryder return after the semester ends which will allow Gleebo to run through the box. Is Garnsey allowed to practice? I like the change at goalie but no one can stop D1 shooters on the doorstep forever. Get that team D fixed. Pick 3 primary SSDMs and don't slide so fast to your top notch poles. Looks to me like our team D is backsliding and knowing the talent on the field pretty well that's 80% on the coaching. Leave the hubris and self promotion hype in a box until you win the SHIP! Coach em up.....
                                                                                    I have no clue if Garnsey is allowed to practice, but I think he comes back if they are able to sneak in....and then I think they are a dangerous team. He would add so much to their offense!
                                                                                    1000 % agree with you analysis on D, and like you said no one is going to stop those bunny shots....well Duke did once...LOL
                                                                                    Duke wasn't going to lose 3 in a row, just wan't going to happen, but that wasn't a good showing for ND. I can say, there is A TON the coaches/team can take away from that film...Hopefully they get better from it!

Comment

• #92
                                                                                      I have no clue if Garnsey is allowed to practice, but I think he comes back if they are able to sneak in....and then I think they are a dangerous team. He would add so much to their offense!
                                                                                      1000 % agree with you analysis on D, and like you said no one is going to stop those bunny shots....well Duke did once...LOL
                                                                                      Duke wasn't going to lose 3 in a row, just wan't going to happen, but that wasn't a good showing for ND. I can say, there is A TON the coaches/team can take away from that film...Hopefully they get better from it!
                                                                                      Went back through the W-L records today. If they don't turn it around against Cornell and UNC (I expect a complete blowout against Marquette at Arlotta) and make a deep run in the playoffs, they're in danger of being the worst (W-Ls) ND lacrosse team since 2003. I know their schedule is tough but it's supposed to be: ND has been and aspires to be a perennial top ten program.

Comment

• #93
                                                                                        I didn't watch the game, was busy coaching.

I think they need to win the next three games to make the tournament... I think any loss and they're out, short of bouncing back and winning the ACC tournament championship. The blown leads against UVA and Ohio State are going to haunt them, especially considering Ohio State is not actually good and the Denver win is getting significantly devalued.

Bottom line is I'm not sure if it even matters because the way the team is playing right now they have a 0% chance to win a championship. Their defense continues to be subpar, and their offense -- while as balanced as it has been in a long time -- lacks the star power of other contenders. They need to show in the next three games that they are capable of playing a "complete" 60 minutes with excellence in all phases of the game.

Comment

• #94
                                                                                          I didn't watch the game, was busy coaching.

I think they need to win the next three games to make the tournament... I think any loss and they're out, short of bouncing back and winning the ACC tournament championship. The blown leads against UVA and Ohio State are going to haunt them, especially considering Ohio State is not actually good and the Denver win is getting significantly devalued.

Bottom line is I'm not sure if it even matters because the way the team is playing right now they have a 0% chance to win a championship. Their defense continues to be subpar, and their offense -- while as balanced as it has been in a long time -- lacks the star power of other contenders. They need to show in the next three games that they are capable of playing a "complete" 60 minutes with excellence in all phases of the game.
                                                                                          I think you're spot on. What I don't understand is why the defense is on the decline? You have the entire close D back sans a great LSM. Your FO game is better. You have a seasoned pair of SSDMs on the roster and your anointed keeper is back and is a year older. Is this an inability to focus for 60 minutes or has this regime run its course and are we watching the decline of an Empire?

My predictions: This staff has bested Joe Amplo at every turn and will continue to do so this week. I also like us versus Cornell. The Ivies always seem to wilt versus the Irish. Carolina on the other hand is Jeckyl and Hyde. It all depends on who you get that day.
                                                                                          Last edited by Picasso; 04-08-2019, 05:02 PM.

Comment

• #95
                                                                                            I think you're spot on. What I don't understand is why the defense is on the decline? You have the entire close D back sans a great LSM. Your FO game is better. You have a seasoned pair of SSDMs on the roster and your anointed keeper is back and is a year older. Is this an inability to focus for 60 minutes or has this regime run its course and are we watching the decline of an Empire?

My predictions: This staff has bested Joe Amplo at every turn and will continue to do so this week. I also like us versus Cornell. The Ivies always seem to wilt versus the Irish. Carolina on the other hand is Jeckyl and Hyde. It all depends on who you get that day.
                                                                                            Irish roll over Amplo as predicted. Me thinks the Irish staff is still bitter after being shut out by the USA staff. Seriously though, the keeper change is paying dividends. Let’s hope they didn’t wait too long. One down, two to go boys.

Comment

• #96
                                                                                              Irish roll over Amplo as predicted. Me thinks the Irish staff is still bitter after being shut out by the USA staff. Seriously though, the keeper change is paying dividends. Letís hope they didnít wait too long. One down, two to go boys.
                                                                                              Ya, pretty sloppy first half..I think they had 17 turnovers, and really struggled early with the 10 man ride. Down, I believe 5-4 early third, and then they just took over..Face-off unit was lights out ( I thought Restic stepped up at wing.) Costabile looked good, Crance is a beast, and ya, new goalie literally stepping up with some big saves.
                                                                                              Syracuse really controlled Cornell, so hopefully the Irish do the same!!!

Comment

• #97
                                                                                                Two very big, very winnable games on the horizon. ND wins both they are an NCAA tourney lock. Lose one and they are on the bubble needing work in ACC tourney. Lose both the season is likely over.

Comment

• #98
                                                                                                  might end up playing North Carolina twice in a five day stretch, last regular season game and then the 4-5 game on Thrusday 4/25.

Comment

• #99
                                                                                                    might end up playing North Carolina twice in a five day stretch, last regular season game and then the 4-5 game on Thrusday 4/25.
                                                                                                    Very possible, the permutations right now for ACC seeding are kind of absurd. Nothing is settled except UVA being the 1 seed. All other teams could end up anywhere between #2 and #5.

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                                                                                                      Very possible, the permutations right now for ACC seeding are kind of absurd. Nothing is settled except UVA being the 1 seed. All other teams could end up anywhere between #2 and #5.
                                                                                                      Tied at 4 at half. God I love Zullo in the cage. If he's there for some of the earlier losses they're Ws. Offense needs to step up.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X