Notre Dame Lacrosse Open thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notre Dame Lacrosse Open thread

Cliff jumping into the raging Pacific is a little different than on the European trip but it did make all of the wire services. Tough on the ineligibility front: next man up. Program loses a friend in John Heisler. Looking for a quick strike offense and a smothering defense this Spring: Confident in this defense and keeper. Win some at the X, let the boys run and they'll win another ACC championship.

Originally posted by Picasso View Post
    Cliff jumping into the raging Pacific is a little different than on the European trip but it did make all of the wire services. Tough on the ineligibility front: next man up. Program loses a friend in John Heisler. Looking for a quick strike offense and a smothering defense this Spring: Confident in this defense and keeper. Win some at the X, let the boys run and they'll win another ACC championship.
    Yeah, attack might be in rough shape now. Hope there aren't too many "robots" in whatever combination they run.

Comment

Well that SUCKS! I didn't know Garnsey was out for the year. What a crappy way to start the year! Huge loss!

Comment

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="und" dir="ltr"><a href="https://t.co/GCbenANae7">pic.twitter.com/GCbenANae7</a></p>&mdash; Ryder Garnsey (@rsgarnz) <a href="https://twitter.com/rsgarnz/status/1085621860010741762?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 16, 2019</a></blockquote>
        <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Comment

Originally posted by irishrb View Post
          Well that SUCKS! I didn't know Garnsey was out for the year. What a crappy way to start the year! Huge loss!
          I'm not an expert on the NCAA eligibility rules but can't Garnsey compete in the post season (after the semester ends) if he hits the grade threshold this semester?

Comment

I'm not an expert on the NCAA eligibility rules but can't Garnsey compete in the post season (after the semester ends) if he hits the grade threshold this semester?
            That's a really good question, I know that in basketball even if you are eligible at the start of the season you can end up ineligible in the middle of the 1st semester grades come in. For sports dragging out past the end of the spring semester I'd assume the converse would be true?

Comment

Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
              That's a really good question, I know that in basketball even if you are eligible at the start of the season you can end up ineligible in the middle of the 1st semester grades come in. For sports dragging out past the end of the spring semester I'd assume the converse would be true?
              Cody Jamison for Cuse became eligible in the tournament a few years back.

Comment

Originally posted by OchoShayneO View Post
                Cody Jamison for Cuse became eligible in the tournament a few years back.
                Didn't that have to do with a transfer though? God that was so long ago I can't remember.

Comment

https://www.syracuse.com/today/index...rosse_car.html

Comment

I would totally assume, as long as he does what he needs to, that he should be eligible once a new semester starts. Hopefully we'll get to see it happen!

Comment

Anyone going to the scrimmage today?

Comment

Anyone going to the scrimmage today?
                        Ya, if anyone goes, please share thoughts....GO IRISH!!

Comment

Ya, if anyone goes, please share thoughts....GO IRISH!!
                          Talked to 2 folks who attended. AF, who started a number of freshmen, outscored the Irish by 1. Itís too early to panic but this team has a lot of work to do.

Comment

Talked to 2 folks who attended. AF, who started a number of freshmen, outscored the Irish by 1. Itís too early to panic but this team has a lot of work to do.
                            Thanks for the info...Tried to find some info, but could only find the tweets from NDLAX...
                            Definitely trying not to get too hyped this year....schedule is insane and just don't know if they have what it takes...especially minus Garnsey.

Comment

Thanks for the info...Tried to find some info, but could only find the tweets from NDLAX...
                              Definitely trying not to get too hyped this year....schedule is insane and just don't know if they have what it takes...especially minus Garnsey.
                              According to the AF tweets, Notre Dame was down by 4 and rallied to tie the game. FOs (unproven at X and not having Sexton at the wing hurts) and scoring are my #1 concerns with this team.

Comment

Colgate takes down overrated Syracuse in the Dome. Desko’s seat must be getting HOT!

Comment

Colgate takes down overrated Syracuse in the Dome. Deskoís seat must be getting HOT!
                                  Ya, I was surprised when I saw that. Do you really think he would be on a hot set? Isn't he kind of like Corrigan...untouchable.....

Comment

Ya, I was surprised when I saw that. Do you really think he would be on a hot set? Isn't he kind of like Corrigan...untouchable.....
                                    Corrigan untouchable is South Bend only because ND's AD doesn't give a rat's behind about winning titles in lacrosse. Syracuse, UVA, Hopkins, those are Programs who expect to compete for the title every year even if they're worse than the Irish. There's no one whose knowledgeable about lacrosse who doesn't believe the Irish have "underperformed" over the past decade. I call it the "Marvin Lewis complex". Not bad enough to fire but not good enough to actually win the whole thing or to play to their potential consistently.

Comment

Gameday tomorrow! Excited to see what they look like!

Comment

Duke-Denver in WatchESPN. Shot clock is absolutely refreshing. Denver no longer stall balls for 30-45 seconds before trying to run offense... even in this sloppy game they are so much more watchable.

Comment

Gameday tomorrow! Excited to see what they look like!
                                          Night game. pretty unusual.

Comment

Duke-Denver in WatchESPN. Shot clock is absolutely refreshing. Denver no longer stall balls for 30-45 seconds before trying to run offense... even in this sloppy game they are so much more watchable.
                                            LOVE the addition of the shot clock! Went to see psu/nova, and nova looked lost with the clock at times...really just forgot about it I think.. I would imagine this should be a benefit for the Irish D....no more painfully long possessions without at least hitting pipe.

Comment

Super shaky goal tending so far for Notre Dame. Gleason playing attack is a bad sign for ND... he can be a good attack but he is an ELITE midfielder. Playing him at attack means he and Costabile will have poles on them 100% of the time.

Comment

At the Notre Dame game. Not real sure what I’m looking for.

Comment

Gleason playing midfield not attack to start 2Q. Lots of experimenting with combinations so far. ND clearly doesn’t have a set offense to start 2019.

Comment

Gleason playing midfield not attack to start 2Q. Lots of experimenting with combinations so far. ND clearly doesnít have a set offense to start 2019.
                                                    Agreed about the offense...First game I guess, but I would hope with their recruiting the past few years, that it would just be plug and play at this time. I blame the shaky goaltending on the camera views....I'm assuming those high cameras are distracting Schmidt..LOL..

Comment

Truly dominant 3rd quarter by ND. This oneís a wrap. Very encouraging stuff on offense.

Comment

Sweet start! Let's Go! Shot clock truly makes the game so much more entertaining!

Comment

Sweet start! Let's Go! Shot clock truly makes the game so much more entertaining!
                                                          Agree. Watched most of the game last night and we looked really good in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. (not an expert by any means)

Some Freshman and Soph who didn't play much last year were rotating in before garbage time and impressed. #43, Westlin, had a couple goals. Corrrigan must have played 9 midfielders in the first 12 minutes and I lost count of how many overall. Looks like he's searching for the right combo's there.

After a slow start Schmidt (GK) and Leonard (FO) dominated. Detroit's last two goals were vs the backup Goalie.

Comment

I was on the same sideline as the team and I noticed that most of the team was relatively small (6' or shorter) with a couple giants (6'4"+) mixed in. Is this how most teams are?

I have no idea how good Detroit is supposed to be, but Notre Dame seemed to take over after the first period.

One of the freshman, towards the end of the game, forced a turnover near the Detroit net and ended it with a behind the back goal. I thought that was slick.

This is the play I'm talking about

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The only way to make Griffin Westlin&#39;s 2nd goal better - show it in slow-mo! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/SCtop10?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#SCtop10 </a> <a href="https://t.co/blmJO3kxyU">pic.twitter.com/blmJO3kxyU</a></p>&mdash; Notre Dame Lacrosse (@NDlacrosse) <a href="https://twitter.com/NDlacrosse/status/1096975998200041472?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 17, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                                                            Last edited by arrowryan; 02-17-2019, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Richmond up on Notre Dame 5-4 at half. Rainy, cold day in Richmond... not a sharp game so far.

Comment

Definitely not an impressive showing so far...
                                                                Faceoffs...okay....wingplay...ah
                                                                Schmidt...ah
                                                                Clearing blunders
                                                                shorty defensive middies...ah

Costabile made some plays to get them back in it. Hopefully they come out with a sharper second half!

Comment

Well that's annoying...so many sloppy moments

Comment

Definitely not an impressive showing so far...
                                                                    Faceoffs...okay....wingplay...ah
                                                                    Schmidt...ah
                                                                    Clearing blunders
                                                                    shorty defensive middies...ah

Costabile made some plays to get them back in it. Hopefully they come out with a sharper second half!
                                                                    Just really sloppy. So many unforced turnovers and bad shots. Not sure if this team makes the tournament. The bottom line is we saw none of the stuff we saw week 1 on offense. They played Gleason at attack and were super static with what they tried to do... when they did have openings and opportunities to capitalize they threw the ball away. I really don't agree with what they're trying to do at attack and midfield right now, they made it way too easy to account for Costabile and then forced all the offense through him when the other stuff wasn't working.

Also, the officiating was crap. But that is not why ND lost, at all.

Comment

Ya, I've just come to expect that their offense will always be what it will be...a few elite players with an average scheme that will be....okay....
                                                                      The biggest thing that stood out to me, was wing play...just poor...get the freakin' ground ball and run/throw to space....spoiled from Sexton I guess.
                                                                      Nice coaching there at the end..(Costabile, take it and let's hope you make something happen...no matter what your angle is or how many people force you out.)

Comment

Ya, I've just come to expect that their offense will always be what it will be...a few elite players with an average scheme that will be....okay....
                                                                        The biggest thing that stood out to me, was wing play...just poor...get the freakin' ground ball and run/throw to space....spoiled from Sexton I guess.
                                                                        Nice coaching there at the end..(Costabile, take it and let's hope you make something happen...no matter what your angle is or how many people force you out.)
                                                                        You canít overestimate Johnís impact on the ND program. He was worth 2-3 goals per game. I would alternate Crance and Kielty at pole. Goalie play is still sub-par given the strength of this close D.

Comment

The insane part of that to me is that you KNOW they are going to key on him. So why not start the ball in Gleason's hands with a midfield dodge, draw a slide, swing it through X and then go with Costabile? You had plenty of time to do that off the first timeout, and at least then you get some sort of favorable matchup.

Comment

The insane part of that to me is that you KNOW they are going to key on him. So why not start the ball in Gleason's hands with a midfield dodge, draw a slide, swing it through X and then go with Costabile? You had plenty of time to do that off the first timeout, and at least then you get some sort of favorable matchup.
                                                                            I agree with the Gleebo idea. Tactical adjustments are not an ND strength. Kavenasty spoiled the Irish staff and now without Garnsey, they're that much easier to game plan for. Thank God the ACC is crap this year.

Comment

• #39
                                                                              Said the same thing to my boys...surely they're going to work a 1/2 punch with Costabile and Gleason here....Maybe find Willets sneakin' around the crease with an open look...

Comment

• #40
                                                                                I agree with the Gleebo idea. Tactical adjustments are not an ND strength. Kavenasty spoiled the Irish staff and now without Garnsey, they're that much easier to game plan for. Thank God the ACC is crap this year.
                                                                                Let's hope. I can still see them making a lot of noise, especially Duke...

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  Truest sentence in this thread.

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    Really Worried

Tough stretch of games coming up. Must win one of the next two to rebound and have a great season. To salvage a good season, the Irish will need to run the table (maybe one loss) in the ACC and beat tough out of conference opponents like Cornell and OSU. They need to get more stops from the keeper and a more balanced game plan on offense. Having only two players who can take it to the rack is not a viable D1 offense. Giving up stoppable goals can't happen when your offense is so anemic.

Stubbornness/rigidity regarding personnel and scheme has been this staff's Achilles heel forever. Does the fear of not making the playoffs provide the impetus for change? Time will tell.
                                                                                    Last edited by Picasso; 02-25-2019, 12:13 PM.

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      sounds like we're kind of between a rock and a hard place with Corrigan. Swarbrick needs to earn his money and figure out a way of getting the "all time great" coach to evolve with the times without causing a PR mess.

But where does this fit on his to do list? Probably a hell of a long way down.

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        Damn what a win. Give up tying score with 16 secs only to get the winning score in OT. Awesome. What a play too

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          I thought there was a 0.0% chance they were going to win in OT after not only giving up tying goal on freak circumstances but missing a one-on-none scoring opportunity at the end of the game.

Richmond game may just end up being a “blip” on account of awful weather. The top 6 of Costabile-Gleason-Morrin-Westlin-Willetts-Jackoboice was very effective on offense. Defense could be better, tight now they’re conceding way more high quality scoring chances than you expect to typically see.

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            Rough start....really thought they were going to be in trouble when it was 4-1. I feel like they knew they needed this game, and started playing with a greater sense of urgency to get the W. Nice to see "the top 6" actually generate some offense!
                                                                                            Hopes for the season are definitely back! Let's Go!

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              Nice win. Unbearable broadcasters. Less banter, more commentary on the game please.

Side note; do not record without extending 30 minutes. ESPN had it for 2 hours on the guide which gets you to 10 minutes left in the game.

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                Very happy to see Willetts learning to use that big frame and impose his will. Very nice win. I’m liking the shot clock addition this season.

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  Originally posted by FDNYIrish1 View Post
                                                                                                  Very happy to see Willetts learning to use that big frame and impose his will. Very nice win. Iím liking the shot clock addition this season.
                                                                                                  Shot clock is freakin' huge. No way ND wins that game if it's not installed. The way Maryland dominated face-offs, they would have milked the crap out of that game.

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    Shot clock is freakin' huge. No way ND wins that game if it's not installed. The way Maryland dominated face-offs, they would have milked the crap out of that game.
                                                                                                    FOs and the keeper worry the heck out of me. To quote Tom Cruise in Risky Business, sometimes you have to say "WTF" on offense. Let the boys play loose and free! Tighten up than D and press out a little more to give that keeper some confidence. Allowing that many goals is really worrisome. Another big test next week, Tierney has had Corrigan's number for as long as I can remember. See the NCAA tape for a quick refresher video session.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X