Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

John Heisler Out at Notre Dame

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • John Heisler Out at Notre Dame

    Astonishing news. Apparently was fired by Swarbrick after 41 years. Forty. One. Years. So much for loyalty.

    I don't know anyone who didn't have tremendous respect and appreciation for Heisler. This is truly outrageous, and if there isn't some good supporting reason I'm not donating another dime to ND until Swarbrick is gone. This is beyond the pale.

  • #2
    The IronMan himself...Definitely surprising....sure he was fired? I thought he wanted to spend more time writing...

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
      Astonishing news. Apparently was fired by Swarbrick after 41 years. Forty. One. Years. So much for loyalty.

      I don't know anyone who didn't have tremendous respect and appreciation for Heisler. This is truly outrageous, and if there isn't some good supporting reason I'm not donating another dime to ND until Swarbrick is gone. This is beyond the pale.
      Where did you see that he was fired?
      Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Classic Irish View Post
        Where did you see that he was fired?
        <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Today&#39;s bad news: Notre Dame has apparently &#39;let go,&#39; John Heisler--associate AD who has only been at school for FORTY ONE years! John is as good as it gets; should have been AD and now the heinous Jack Swarbrick is apparently trying to save a few bucks by dumping him. Ludicrous.</p>&mdash; John Feinstein (@JFeinsteinBooks) <a href="https://twitter.com/JFeinsteinBooks/status/1083804151635734529?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 11, 2019</a></blockquote>
        <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
        The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
        Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

        Comment


        • #5
          His twitter does say former and if you look up his name on twitter there are a couple mentions of him being fired that his wife has responded to in a way that seems to confirm the firing. Then there is also an NDnation post about it. Apparently it happened at the turn of the year and had been coming since the Pitt weekend.

          https://ndnation.com/nftg-strange-bedfellows/amp/

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by SouthSideChiDomer View Post
            His twitter does say former and if you look up his name on twitter there are a couple mentions of him being fired that his wife has responded to in a way that seems to confirm the firing. Then there is also an NDnation post about it. Apparently it happened at the turn of the year and had been coming since the Pitt weekend.

            https://ndnation.com/nftg-strange-bedfellows/amp/
            Thank you very much for sharing. Sheds a lot of light on the situation. I can't believe this didn't pop up on my radar until almost two weeks later when someone texted me after seeing a national writer tweeting about it. Shows John was exceptionally classy not making a fuss on his way out the door.

            Comment


            • #7
              I guess I don't understand, was his job known to be guaranteed in perpetuity for some reason? It sounds like he was a great employee for his 40+ years and ND wanted to go in a different direction.

              Do people in his position usually keep their job until retirement?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Veritate Duce Progredi View Post
                I guess I don't understand, was his job known to be guaranteed in perpetuity for some reason? It sounds like he was a great employee for his 40+ years and ND wanted to go in a different direction.

                Do people in his position usually keep their job until retirement?


                This is where I am at.

                Old news, but with his duties being lessened was the writing on the wall.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by loomis41973 View Post
                  This is where I am at.

                  Old news, but with his duties being lessened was the writing on the wall.
                  I've never heard of this guy, but ND firing a dude after 41 years over what is likely a drop in the bucket sort of salary is disappointing.
                  Based Mullet Kid owns

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by NorthDakota View Post
                    I've never heard of this guy, but ND firing a dude after 41 years over what is likely a drop in the bucket sort of salary is disappointing.
                    I really doubt it was all about salary.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Thanks for linking Mike Coffey's article. An excerpt:
                      WTF???

                      Let’s face it, John carried a lot of water over the years in the athletics office, and given some of the bonehead moves and statements that have come out of that place, I imagine some of those buckets were heavy indeed. His loyalty was absolute, and the bullets he stepped in front of were numerous. The Weis era alone probably was enough for its own hypertension prescription.

                      His reward for that level of loyalty? An unceremonious bounce. And I’m sure the version of the story I heard that John would be let go just short of a milestone that would be financially advantageous to him was exaggerated, because after all, we know loyalty is always rewarded in Jack’s domain {sarcasm off}.

                      Since originally hearing the story during Pitt weekend, I’ve cultivated details from other folks, and talked about it with ND people both pro- and anti-John. The reaction, as with many things, covered a wide spectrum from sorrow to schadenfreude. But regardless of where it came from, each reaction shared a minor variation of the same sentence: “What kind of a piece of shit fires someone like that?”
                      On the surface of it, sounds pretty cold. Not to reach an equitable understanding with a huge sendoff for forty-one years of dedication, taking duties away until what's left cannot be justified for his salary. Frigid Jack.

                      The next meeting of the Monogram Club should award Heisler an honorary monogram.
                      Does his wife still teach at ND and Holy Cross? Good luck, John! Thank you for everything.

                      List of Honorary Monogram recipients
                      Last edited by Legacy; 01-13-2019, 12:34 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Veritate Duce Progredi View Post
                        I guess I don't understand, was his job known to be guaranteed in perpetuity for some reason? It sounds like he was a great employee for his 40+ years and ND wanted to go in a different direction.

                        Do people in his position usually keep their job until retirement?
                        ND using the we-don't-have-the-money excuse is embarrassing.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by IrishTusker View Post
                          ND using the we-don't-have-the-money excuse is embarrassing.
                          I guess I still don't get it. If his salary was not commensurate with his production, should admin pay it indefinitely? Should ND pay high salaries for everything just because they can? That doesn't seem fiscally responsible.

                          Again, I didn't know the guy so I'm not aware of the politics surrounding him but this sounds like what happens everywhere.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Veritate Duce Progredi View Post
                            I guess I still don't get it. If his salary was not commensurate with his production, should admin pay it indefinitely? Should ND pay high salaries for everything just because they can? That doesn't seem fiscally responsible.

                            Again, I didn't know the guy so I'm not aware of the politics surrounding him but this sounds like what happens everywhere.
                            That's not really what happened though as I understand it, it was more that he got pushed in that direction and then told "oh hey, you're no longer doing stuff that fits the job description of Associate AD."

                            If he started mailing it in, then I agree with you. I'm not sure his lessened responsibilities were entirely of his own volition. Then I again, I'm pretty in the dark on all of this and just going off what I've heard/read second hand.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I have many professional and personal reasons to be grateful for what <a href="https://twitter.com/NDHeisler?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@NDHeisler</a> has done for me. He hired me at 26 to run <a href="https://twitter.com/NDFootball?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@NDFootball</a> PR, following in footsteps of Roger Valdiserri, John, &amp; Doug Walker. I was woefully in over my head, but John provided guidance &amp; was a role ... <a href="https://t.co/9ylXkCK2kH">https://t.co/9ylXkCK2kH</a></p>&mdash; Brian Hardin (@DrakeADHardin) <a href="https://twitter.com/DrakeADHardin/status/1084490649628565509?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 13, 2019</a></blockquote>
                              <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Seems like there was a variety of different feelings about this guy. Of course the pro crowd is taking to social media. Doubtful too many of the con crowd would be rejoicing publicly.

                                Regardless, sounds as though he was a polarizing figure and sometimes people can begin to impact their workplace in strange ways when they have been employed that long.

                                Might not necessarily be a bad thing for the university.
                                Prehistoric

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
                                  <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Today's bad news: Notre Dame has apparently 'let go,' John Heisler--associate AD who has only been at school for FORTY ONE years! John is as good as it gets; should have been AD and now the heinous Jack Swarbrick is apparently trying to save a few bucks by dumping him. Ludicrous.</p>&mdash; John Feinstein (@JFeinsteinBooks) <a href="https://twitter.com/JFeinsteinBooks/status/1083804151635734529?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 11, 2019</a></blockquote>
                                  <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                                  We haven't won In 30 years. 11 years after his tenure started. Let's all take a breath and realize this might be something we can't understand when we stand outside of the box.
                                  I was smarter when I drank...
                                  I'm always wrong. I'll correct myself If proven so.

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    I honestly think he may have been the cog in the screw for the last few years at least. 'Theodore Hesburgh' The elder folk always think It's their job to do things their way especially when the higher folks lay down. Times are changing and so should we.
                                    I was smarter when I drank...
                                    I'm always wrong. I'll correct myself If proven so.

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Unless there is someone on the board that can provide behind the scenes unbiased info, I can't begin to be upset over this. Long tenure these days is a rarity if it's not a union type situation. Might be a good thing for him, and/or for ND. Might not. Sometimes things don't work out, and people need to go on to new things. This doesn't scream to me of anything that bad. Not always a fan of JS, but it's a job, and sometimes changes happen. I wish him luck and success. An I truly appreciate all he's done. I'm sure he can do great things elsewhere if that's what he desires.
                                      The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                                      Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        SEC ties and they all can spin this story any way they want. I am very happy we have found a way to rid ourselves of something that seems un-incorporated. 80 years between (husband and wife), Laughable quote', and they still think they belong to some animosity.
                                        https://www.southbendtribune.com/new...6v_tjLADP9W1Gs
                                        I was smarter when I drank...
                                        I'm always wrong. I'll correct myself If proven so.

                                        Comment


                                        • #21
                                          Originally posted by NDdomer2 View Post
                                          Seems like there was a variety of different feelings about this guy. Of course the pro crowd is taking to social media. Doubtful too many of the con crowd would be rejoicing publicly.

                                          Regardless, sounds as though he was a polarizing figure and sometimes people can begin to impact their workplace in strange ways when they have been employed that long.

                                          Might not necessarily be a bad thing for the university.
                                          There weren't a variety of feelings about him, nor was he polarizing. He wrote articles like this and this and this. Interesting, inoffensive, etc., items about ND athletics. He was an ND institution and Swarbrick mishandled this badly.

                                          Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
                                          Unless there is someone on the board that can provide behind the scenes unbiased info, I can't begin to be upset over this. Long tenure these days is a rarity if it's not a union type situation. Might be a good thing for him, and/or for ND. Might not. Sometimes things don't work out, and people need to go on to new things. This doesn't scream to me of anything that bad. Not always a fan of JS, but it's a job, and sometimes changes happen. I wish him luck and success. An I truly appreciate all he's done. I'm sure he can do great things elsewhere if that's what he desires.
                                          Long tenures are quite common at ND, and not only among faculty.

                                          Originally posted by Circa View Post
                                          SEC ties and they all can spin this story any way they want. I am very happy we have found a way to rid ourselves of something that seems un-incorporated. 80 years between (husband and wife), Laughable quote', and they still think they belong to some animosity.
                                          https://www.southbendtribune.com/new...6v_tjLADP9W1Gs
                                          SEC ties? Because he went to Mizzou? "Rid ourselves of something"? Appallingly cheap way of discussing an older man who has worked for ND for a long time.
                                          Last edited by IrishTusker; 01-13-2019, 08:05 PM.

                                          Comment


                                          • #22
                                            Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
                                            Unless there is someone on the board that can provide behind the scenes unbiased info, I can't begin to be upset over this. Long tenure these days is a rarity if it's not a union type situation. Might be a good thing for him, and/or for ND. Might not. Sometimes things don't work out, and people need to go on to new things. This doesn't scream to me of anything that bad. Not always a fan of JS, but it's a job, and sometimes changes happen. I wish him luck and success. An I truly appreciate all he's done. I'm sure he can do great things elsewhere if that's what he desires.
                                            i am upset. I had an employee who worked at my plant for 40 years. This person had medical issues, but also was just not that good at his job. I could have very easily fired him for not being able to do the job, but I didn't because the man WORKED 40 YEARS AT THE SAME PLACE! He passed away this fall. At his funeral over half of the eulogy was about how he felt at worked. Sometimes you have to do what is right - not just what you have to do to make money.
                                            The only time you fail is if you are too afraid or lazy to try.

                                            Comment


                                            • #23
                                              Originally posted by IrishTusker View Post
                                              Long tenures are quite common at ND, and not only among faculty..
                                              Long tenures can be good and bad. When they are good, it's great to embrace. When it's not so good or bad, it's just a tough situation. Overall, unions, schools, and other areas where long tenure is common place, are not the norm in today's work place. We talk all the time about embracing change, and using competition to bring out peak performance. How can we use those analogies one place, and discount them in another.

                                              Again, I don't know the situation, but without detail, I can't get cast a stone one way or another.

                                              Originally posted by Section20Row27 View Post
                                              i am upset. I had an employee who worked at my plant for 40 years. This person had medical issues, but also was just not that good at his job. I could have very easily fired him for not being able to do the job, but I didn't because the man WORKED 40 YEARS AT THE SAME PLACE! He passed away this fall. At his funeral over half of the eulogy was about how he felt at worked. Sometimes you have to do what is right - not just what you have to do to make money.
                                              I've had many bosses, and thousands of employees in my 25 years of working. I don't know his situation or why the decision was made. I'm guessing, no one on the board does either. I do know, I've had many situations where employees with many years became complacent, didn't like new direction, didn't perform well when duties changed, etc.. And, I've had many employees with long years change for the better with new duties, or new leadership, or new direction. I just think it's unfair to judge a situation when we don't have facts.

                                              The situation you speak of above is very different. I've rewarded loyalty and service over the years a plenty. I've also had to make some very tough decisions to go in a different direction. Just about every situation is unique. And I'm sure this one is not as simple as a crappy AD cutting a long time employee.
                                              The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                                              Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

                                              Comment


                                              • #24
                                                Originally posted by Section20Row27 View Post
                                                i am upset. I had an employee who worked at my plant for 40 years. This person had medical issues, but also was just not that good at his job. I could have very easily fired him for not being able to do the job, but I didn't because the man WORKED 40 YEARS AT THE SAME PLACE! He passed away this fall. At his funeral over half of the eulogy was about how he felt at worked. Sometimes you have to do what is right - not just what you have to do to make money.
                                                This isn't the business of screwing bolts into gears. This Is a business that complacency can kill something some will never understand.
                                                I was smarter when I drank...
                                                I'm always wrong. I'll correct myself If proven so.

                                                Comment


                                                • #25
                                                  Originally posted by IrishTusker View Post
                                                  There weren't a variety of feelings about him, nor was he polarizing. He wrote articles like this and this and this. Interesting, inoffensive, etc., items about ND athletics. He was an ND institution and Swarbrick mishandled this badly.



                                                  Long tenures are quite common at ND, and not only among faculty.



                                                  SEC ties? Because he went to Mizzou? "Rid ourselves of something"? Appallingly cheap way of discussing an older man who has worked for ND for a long time.
                                                  If you know, then please explain. Cheap, Is the ridiculous manner our program has been infiltrated and takin advantage of. I hope he had nothing to do with the bad publicity.... But he seems to be the one who gave the publicity.....

                                                  People do get fired for frivolous reasons. Corporations do get sued for frivolous firings. I'm sure JS had enough, and his interview told me this much a few weeks ago.
                                                  Last edited by Circa; 01-13-2019, 09:23 PM.
                                                  I was smarter when I drank...
                                                  I'm always wrong. I'll correct myself If proven so.

                                                  Comment


                                                  • #26
                                                    I just want to know if he got to keep his red stapler.

                                                    The pro side is plenty vocal - I wouldn't doubt he has been a leaker for years which has led to more an more marginalization. Can be hard to prove leading to a long dance. To say it is about money is comical. Also to say he "is not of retirement age" is silly for someone finishing 41 years on the job. One year at Mizzou prior to ND would put him at minimum 22+42 = 64

                                                    Comment


                                                    • #27
                                                      Loose lips sink ships. My speculation based completely on the situation - no inside knowledge.

                                                      Comment


                                                      • #28
                                                        It's my understanding he kept a lot of people on the fence or pulled them back to the fence when Declan Sullivan died tragically. He had a way of keeping people in check with regards to ND. Did a lot for the image of the athletic program, athletic department, school, etc.

                                                        I have a lot of ND books where he has written the forward or contributed in some way. I'm sure he'll be missed by those closer to the school and athletic offices. Ultimately, as fans, do we miss this terribly?

                                                        I don't really know what to make of how or why he was let go, but after some checking, I really have not seen a bad word about him thus far.

                                                        Comes as a shock, especially for a fan base that doesn't exactly handle change well.
                                                        It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice.

                                                        Comment


                                                        • #29
                                                          I think Fired is a strong word to use. That implies cause. It appeared they had a ReOrg like many companies and his role was phased out apparently. sounds like more of a layoff. I would think a decent severance package would be offered plus he should be able to get unemployment. If he was making six figures plus for many years while living in the Midwest he should be rolling in it by now.

                                                          If he was ever in consideration for the big job maybe Swarbrick being a prima donna did not care for his old competition hanging around. Not sure you need a reason when you ascend to that level.

                                                          BTW how much do we think he was making?

                                                          Comment


                                                          • #30
                                                            I hate to shit in a toilet when the seat's already closed, makes a hell of a mess.
                                                            "Notre Dame Media Relations Guru John Heisler Out After 40 Years".
                                                            Media relations "GURU"? We as a University have been fighting the almighty media bias for how many years, and It's been blatant. Ask Wizard about our understanding of his media, and how our "guru" worked to qualm many false accusations.
                                                            I guess the only thing we can depend on Is the future and the way our program Is viewed.
                                                            I wish the man nothing but goodwill. I truly hope he can find another place to stamp his 'etch' in stone.

                                                            https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...n-Heisler.aspx
                                                            Last edited by Circa; 01-14-2019, 08:27 PM.
                                                            I was smarter when I drank...
                                                            I'm always wrong. I'll correct myself If proven so.

                                                            Comment


                                                            • #31
                                                              Originally posted by RDU Irish View Post
                                                              Loose lips sink ships. My speculation based completely on the situation - no inside knowledge.
                                                              I doubt it was that, TBH. The guy's primary job was building/maintaining good relationships with the media (in part so that when something like Declan Sullivan happens he can help tamp down negative coverage, as Rogue219 suggested.)

                                                              Sometimes that means telling reporters things off the record, or "leaking," in the parlance of our times. But he'd been in that role for 40 years - 10 of them with Swarbrick - which means he was trusted/good at it. You just don't last that long in a job like that if you're not trustworthy. So any leaking he'd done, I'd think, was quite intentional.

                                                              I've no inside knowledge either, but the idea of a reorganization that didn't include him makes more sense to me. Maybe Swarbrick wanted someone younger, or with different skills. It happens.

                                                              Comment


                                                              • #32
                                                                Originally posted by RDU Irish View Post
                                                                I just want to know if he got to keep his red stapler.

                                                                The pro side is plenty vocal - I wouldn't doubt he has been a leaker for years which has led to more an more marginalization. Can be hard to prove leading to a long dance. To say it is about money is comical. Also to say he "is not of retirement age" is silly for someone finishing 41 years on the job. One year at Mizzou prior to ND would put him at minimum 22+42 = 64
                                                                Medicare is a requirement in a year at your math. It's another ridiculous thing the media has been blowing out of proportion. He's done so well tho, for the sake of his favorite employer....
                                                                I was smarter when I drank...
                                                                I'm always wrong. I'll correct myself If proven so.

                                                                Comment


                                                                • #33
                                                                  Originally posted by IrishTusker View Post
                                                                  There weren't a variety of feelings about him, nor was he polarizing. He wrote articles like this and this and this. Interesting, inoffensive, etc., items about ND athletics. He was an ND institution and Swarbrick mishandled this badly.
                                                                  This.


                                                                  Originally posted by IrishTusker View Post
                                                                  Long tenures are quite common at ND, and not only among faculty.
                                                                  This.


                                                                  Originally posted by IrishTusker View Post
                                                                  SEC ties? Because he went to Mizzou? "Rid ourselves of something"? Appallingly cheap way of discussing an older man who has worked for ND for a long time.
                                                                  And this!
                                                                  Maybe it's far too soon to tell.

                                                                  Comment


                                                                  • #34
                                                                    I'm so abundantly perplexed at the moment.
                                                                    This media relations guy; John Heisler was the author of a book I read 4 or 5 years ago. I took the book to work today to re-read It and catch up on the things, I just wanted to get over some boredom.
                                                                    While reading the forward he brought his wife up Karen, she usually proofreads for him. It all came together and I realized this was the guy we just fired.
                                                                    I don't know who makes the profit's and how that whole situation works but I would recommend anyone to read his book. https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/100-th...X&idiq=7181364
                                                                    I just looked it up and he has written many while being employed by, The University Of Notre Dame.

                                                                    https://www.thriftbooks.com/a/John-H...caf62573c88dd6
                                                                    Last edited by Circa; 01-15-2019, 08:24 PM.
                                                                    I was smarter when I drank...
                                                                    I'm always wrong. I'll correct myself If proven so.

                                                                    Comment

                                                                    Adsense

                                                                    Collapse
                                                                    Working...
                                                                    X