Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ND Women's BB '17 -'18 Season

Tournament's over.

There's a new season to prep for without Lindsay Allen and possibly without Brianna Turner depending on how the surgery and rehab go ... and whether she decides to move on to the next level.

Mabrey, Ogumbawale, Westbeld, Young, Boley --- potentially a mighty five. Turner? She should stay and play if she's healthy (her physique doesn't translate well to the WNBA), so that would be a mighty six. --- note, of course, no one who vaguely resembles a point guard is there... A "Monster without a Head."

Patberg? ...maybe... but I doubt that Muffet is assuming that.
    The (to me) mysterious comment during the Stanford game about a former starting point guard for them sitting out and graduating so as to come as a graduate transfer to run Notre Dame next year ... ? Muffet pulling a Rabbit out of a Hat?

Are any players incoming other than the two new Bigs? They are 6'3" and one is a 5*, so maybe one at least would be ready to help --- absolutely needed whether Turner is available or not.

If I was dreaming, and Turner available, and the mythical transfer starting point guard was real, then who else starts? "Point Guard", Turner, Mabrey, a well-behaved Arike --- who else? Convention says Westbeld. That puts Boley and Young on the bench. Boley rotating in (with one rookie) at the bigs is fine, but it's a shame to begin with an All-American quality player (Young) on the bench. ... and what if Jackie is just so good that you cannot keep her off the floor practically at all? Let Marina run the point some? Go small-ball some?

Fortunately we have Muffet to figure it out.

Comment

We are getting a point guard from Stanford. I believe her name is Lili Thompson and she was a two time All Pac 12 player, so the drop off at the point shouldn't be that severe. I'm really interested in seeing what Brianna does with the knee injury. Assuming she doesn't go pro early, it seems highly doubtful that she would be ready to play by the beginning of the year, so do you then hope she can be ready by some time in the middle of the year and for the postseason or do you redshirt her this year to let her fully recover and come back fully healed for a fifth year?

Comment

To begin with: It's hard to think this way, but I would put aside my personal preferences vis-a-vis team, and make all decisions with Brianna's wishes in mind. I'd try to be good counsellor and keep my personal goals out of it --- but for discussion's sake, let's imagine that Brianna and her family were open to anything, and we could talk team.

If Muffet wanted to make a run next year (and this isn't a crazy idea if the point guard is truly good), then, despite our potentially incredible fire-power from the wings and Boley, she cannot make that run without a basket protector. We can scrap and get rebounds (with Jackie's big engine and if Arike decides to go for the ball on defense), but unless one of the rookies turns out to be an instant rejector, we're too soft inside. Therefore Muffet needs Brianna --- for sure by the tournament.

The redshirt scenario only works if you a): are satisfied with another top-ten, probably top-four, finish, but not a tourney survivor in 2017; and b). believe that Patberg or one the three rookie guards coming in 2018 is the real deal immediately. (because the Stanford girl will then be gone.)

I'm foggy-crystal-ball gazing at a healed Brianna for 2017, surrounded by the greatest amount of fire-power in the country (Marina, Arike, Erin: The Golden Bombers, plus what Kat, Jackie, and the new guard bring --- and Patberg used to be a scorer too.) It is not completely nuts to see Arike, Marina, Brianna, and Jackie as All-Star level players. Perhaps the new guard too. That's a load of talent --- still Muffet has to manage it into a team.

Comment

Patberg and Boley are transferring at the end of the semester. Boley is a huge loss and a surprise.

https://twitter.com/ehansenndi/statu...89004780498945

Comment

Patberg and Boley ARE transfers after the current semester.

The night I opened this thread I intended to post a team roster and run down on each player. I decided to work some more on it and it never got posted. Monday the roster changed dramatically with the announcement that Patberg and Boley were both transferring.

I saw both, if healthy, next year getting more court time with Boley continuing the increased role she had in the NCAA Tournament especially with the likelihood that Turner would not be available for at least the first half of the season.

Patberg has been plagued with injuries and illness during her ND career so I don't see how a transfer helps her PT elsewhere unless she stays healthy. When she was healthy she showed flashes of her potential but only played in short stretches even in blowouts. AND in 169 minutes she had 18 points, 11 assists, and 8 turnovers. That's a long, long way from Lindsay Allen without considering LA's rebounding this year. To me she seemed to lack stamina but that's to an untrained eye. The transfer of Lili Thompson could reduce Ali's chance for PT but ... if she can beat out Thompson who has to work into a different scheme that she had been playing in, who will Patberg beat out after transferring to another prime time program? Or does she just want to play ... anywhere? She still to be healthy.

Boley's PT increased throughout the season and so did her offensive performance. Her defense improved somewhat but at times she was a liability on the floor. Many talented HS players come to college as shooters/scorers and are severely deficient on the defensive side. Boley is one of them.

I assumed ND without Turner would have a 7 player rotation, Marina, Airke, Kat, Jackie, Erin, and Lili with Patberg challenging Lili. I figured that after Westbeld recovers from surgery she move to #1 Post with Boley relliving her ahead of Koko. I also saw Boley playing Wing giving ND two small "Bigs" on the floor.

With the injury to Turner ND's paucity of Bigs became a famine, now it's Westbeld (having foot surgery) and Koko Nelson, and two incoming freshman Danielle Patterson and Mikayla Vaughn, neither of which is a plug in player much less on the talent level of Jewel or Brianna.They're both taller than Boley but neither have her muscle (girth) underneath the boards.

I've read speculation that Boley might not comfortable looking at future available PT at WING with Arike and Marina getting the lion's share of PT. I'm curious if she sees herself as a pure shooter and doesn't have the desire to fill the void underneath much less play defense with intensity. She did sit most of the second half of her last game when ND was already short handed without Turner. She had the opportunity to seize the day but Jackie Young seemed to do that.

I foresaw next season to be something like a 6-8 lost season with Turner BEFORE the transfers. There was no big depth to deal with injury or foul problems. Now Muffet will have to have a coach of the year season to get ND as far as they got this year. I've always like Kat but I don't see her being productive for 35 minutes or more under the basket all season.

Lesar: What are Muffet McGraw's options after Notre Dame's departures? | Notre Dame Insider Women's Basketball | ndinsider.com

Erin Boley to transfer from Notre Dame

Comment

Originally posted by BGIF View Post
              The night I opened this thread I intended to post a team roster and run down on each player. I decided to work some more on it and it never got posted. Monday the roster changed dramatically with the announcement that Patberg and Boley were both transferring.

I saw both, if healthy, next year getting more court time with Boley continuing the increased role she had in the NCAA Tournament especially with the likelihood that Turner would not be available for at least the first half of the season.

Patberg has been plagued with injuries and illness during her ND career so I don't see how a transfer helps her PT elsewhere unless she stays healthy. When she was healthy she showed flashes of her potential but only played in short stretches even in blowouts. AND in 169 minutes she had 18 points, 11 assists, and 8 turnovers. That's a long, long way from Lindsay Allen without considering LA's rebounding this year. To me she seemed to lack stamina but that's to an untrained eye. The transfer of Lili Thompson could reduce Ali's chance for PT but ... if she can beat out Thompson who has to work into a different scheme that she had been playing in, who will Patberg beat out after transferring to another prime time program? Or does she just want to play ... anywhere? She still to be healthy.

Boley's PT increased throughout the season and so did her offensive performance. Her defense improved somewhat but at times she was a liability on the floor. Many talented HS players come to college as shooters/scorers and are severely deficient on the defensive side. Boley is one of them.

I assumed ND without Turner would have a 7 player rotation, Marina, Airke, Kat, Jackie, Erin, and Lili with Patberg challenging Lili. I figured that after Westbeld recovers from surgery she move to #1 Post with Boley relliving her ahead of Koko. I also saw Boley playing Wing giving ND two small "Bigs" on the floor.

With the injury to Turner ND's paucity of Bigs became a famine, now it's Westbeld (having foot surgery) and Koko Nelson, and two incoming freshman Danielle Patterson and Mikayla Vaughn, neither of which is a plug in player much less on the talent level of Jewel or Brianna.They're both taller than Boley but neither have her muscle (girth) underneath the boards.

I've read speculation that Boley might not comfortable looking at future available PT at WING with Arike and Marina getting the lion's share of PT. I'm curious if she sees herself as a pure shooter and doesn't have the desire to fill the void underneath much less play defense with intensity. She did sit most of the second half of her last game when ND was already short handed without Turner. She had the opportunity to seize the day but Jackie Young seemed to do that.

I foresaw next season to be something like a 6-8 lost season with Turner BEFORE the transfers. There was no big depth to deal with injury or foul problems. Now Muffet will have to have a coach of the year season to get ND as far as they got this year. I've always like Kat but I don't see her being productive for 35 minutes or more under the basket all season.

Lesar: What are Muffet McGraw's options after Notre Dame's departures? | Notre Dame Insider Women's Basketball | ndinsider.com

Erin Boley to transfer from Notre Dame
              The Reiner now coupled with the Boley transfer is setting this program back at least a couple of years. So sad because we were set to be a constant Final Four team.
              Love Thee Notre Dame!

Comment

Re: Final Four potential.

Yes, it will be tough, but not, at this distance, impossible.

1). Consider the unique assets: Both Marina and Arike easily have the potential to be All-Tournament quality players --- for entirely different reasons I never thought I'd be saying that, but it is now patently obvious to me that these are exceptional college players (I'm assuming that Arike stays team-oriented and dedicated to defense and rebounding.) AND we have another AA to come, and I believe that she will arrive at that status this coming year: Jackie Young --- this is a phenomenally valuable player in every phase of basketball. Plus we have a person in Kat who will be a much better than average Rock of Consistency (if she stays mainly on the high post.) Those are four players even Connecticut would want on their squad --- some of whom would start and all would play.

2). Potential: the Stanford transfer MUST BE REALLY GOOD at two things at least: ball protection and not fouling. We are real thin and can't afford much foul trouble anywhere --- but, as is, especially at point guard. If she IS really good, then Muffet will have five outstanding players to put on the floor in crunch situations --- "small ball" --- but with Young and Westbeld swinging up and down between high and low post, that offense could be unstoppable. Defensively? Trouble vs twin towers undoubtedly. Rebounding? Brianna didn't rebound well vs Bigs anyway, and Erin surely didn't, and we were one bucket away from Final Four that way.

3). Bench? Terrifying. Will Koko be a modest time-saver at a Big? Probably. Will one of the incoming Frosh? Probably. Muffet might have to use the "we've got 15 fouls to give" strategy on twin towers, and leave it at that. Outside? Mychal must get healthy and step up as a senior. She CAN play. She just needs to find her confidence in her shot, and in her ball-handling. She has this in her. But think about this: We could be looking at a bench with four people sitting on it. Muffet can't even practice with that. (If we don't magically add a couple of players somehow, I'll be boggled. --- you can practice some things with a designated only-mildly aggressive boys team --- i.e. no leaping and crashing the boards like wild animals ---, and there are some good things about that, but you need full squads of scholarship athletes for lots of the situations ... to say nothing of game-ready bench-prep.)

This team looks at the moment as a chimaera: we can field a Five who can beat almost anybody's Five, but we can field a second Five who can beat almost nobody. Could we possibly have a Tournament where nobody got in foul trouble, nobody went Dead Cold, and Jackie (with a little help from Kat and Arike) rebounded every opponent's brains out? .... Maybe.

Comment

Notre Dame transfer Erin Boley ready to start over at Oregon | Notre Dame Insider Women's Basketball | ndinsider.com

Eric Hansen South Bend Tribune ehansen@ndinsider.com @EHansenNDI May 30, 2017

A lot of it had to do with relationships. And I was really looking for a family atmosphere, somewhere where I could really make a home and have really good relationships.

I wanted to be around coaches that were really invested in me and believed in me and were going to be great mentors and people that felt like family to me. That's really what I was looking for the most.

I knew what I was kind of looking for this time in recruiting, and I really felt like I fit in really well with what they were doing. I thought the combination of players and coaches is exactly what I was looking for, and I felt like it was a great place with a bright future. And I wanted to be a part of it.
                  SMH!

Comment

Jessica Shepard ND Bound ?

Rumors.

Shepard, 6-4 F/C, is a 2nd year Nebraska transfer. She would have to sit out the '17-'18 season and then have two years of eligibility remaining.

Visited ND on 4/20/17 after a visit to South Carolina.

#3 ranked player 2015 Hoop Gurlz.

She has a big frame. Scored 32 points and hauled in 11 rebs against MSU in 42 minutes. Scored over 1,110 points in two seasons and had 25 double doubles.

She can hit from beyond the arc but not sure why you would want her out there when she can hit a variety of shots down low.

http://www.cornnation.com/2017/3/27/...ens-basketball

Shepard averaged 18.4 points and 9.7 rebounds a game for the Huskers in the 2016-17 season, earning her second team all-Big Ten honors. As a freshman, Shepard earned first team all-Big Ten honors by shattering NU’s freshman scoring record by scoring 574 points and earning Big Ten freshman of the week honors ten times.

Comment

Nice idea, but how do we manage to fit transfers into the rigidity of the academic schedules?

This player seems to know Brianna Turner and was tweeted about a week ago. Also posts a lot about religion.

..... mysterious.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Man Mike View Post
                        Nice idea, but how do we manage to fit transfers into the rigidity of the academic schedules?

This player seems to know Brianna Turner and was tweeted about a week ago. Also posts a lot about religion.

..... mysterious.

I don't know any details of her academic load at Nebraska and how she would integrate into an ND curriculum. She does have the required sit out transfer year to deal with the adjustment.

I saw the tweet pic of Brianna last night. I assumed that pic was post Bri's ACL and was wondering if Shepard was identifying with the load Turner carried. One stark difference being talented players who picked up much of Bri's absence with unselfish team ball. Nebraska didn't have the talent on the court nor on the sideline.

As a freshman Shepard had a decent supporting cast of teammates and she excelled. A couple transferred out prior to her sophomore season and while her ppg and rpg improved slightly her shooting percentage took about a 10 point dive from 51% to the low 40s. Without good teammate support she was doubled teamed most of the time and had to try and make up for the transferees. Nebraska was 7-22 this past season, their worse season ever. But they beat MSU in overtime with Shephard scoring 32 with 11 rebs in 43 minutes of play.

In one of the tweets she had a clip of a 3 point shot she made from the top of the key. Turns out she was the 2nd leading 3 pt scorer on her team and the took the 2nd highest number of shots ... but only hit 31%. From looking at the stats it seems everybody on the team was attempting 3s including a 6-5 senior on the team. No regular hit 40%.

Nebraska had coaching turnover and apparently quite a few unhappy players leading to the large number of transfers. Shepard grew up in NE and committed as a freshman ... in high school. Her goal was always to play for the home state school. The coaching problem was helping her develop in college or for the pros.

ND would provide a stable coaching environment, a winning program, and deep teammate support. Everybody on the floor can score. She wouldn't have to come outside the arc to open up the floor for teammates. Opponents that jam the paint would get toasted from a team of outside shooters and effective passers.

I think she'd be a fit on the floor and with a year to transition and ND's tutorial program, I suspect it would turn out well all around.

Comment

So do I..... if she wants to come. Muffet mysteriously never has a full number of scholarship players lately.

Comment

Move that size inside.

Comment

6-4 Shepard Is Irish

Former Husker Jessica Shepard transferring to Notre Dame | Girls basketball | omaha.com

Mike Sautter 1Jun17

Former Husker Jessica Shepard is transferring to Notre Dame, the two-time All-Big Ten selection told The World-Herald on Thursday.

“I wanted to go to a place where I can develop into the player I want to be and compete for championships,” Shepard said.

After sitting out next season per NCAA transfer rules, Shepard will have two years of eligibility remaining for the Fighting Irish.

“Notre Dame has a post coach that is second to none and considered the best in the country,” Shepard said. “My skills fit into the offense they run and that offense will allow me to play on the perimeter and in the post.”
                              Last edited by BGIF; 06-02-2017, 02:33 AM.

Comment

Nebraska transfer Jessica Shepard orders up a new start at Notre Dame | Notre Dame Insider Women's Basketball | ndinsider.com
                                Eric Hansen 1Jun17

I think the biggest reason why Notre Dame was the right choice is the coaching staff and the players,” Shepard told the Tribune in a phone interview Thursday night. “Their staff’s ability to develop players, to get them ready for the next level and compete at this level, it’s not really comparable to any other coaching staff.

“I want to play for championships. And I want to get pushed every day in practice to get the development I need to get to the next level (WNBA).

The only thing standing in my way of moving there right now is a bunch of paperwork,” Shepard said. “I may have to take some classes at Nebraska and Notre Dame in the summer, but hopefully I can just do it all in South Bend.

Shepard is a longtime friend of Brianna Turner and Marina Mabry having played on the USA under 18 team in 2014. Turner shows up in retweets on Shepards Twitter account.
                                Last edited by BGIF; 06-05-2017, 03:03 AM. Reason: corrected Micheala to Marina

Comment

Outstanding pick up IMO.

Comment

Wonderful.

It's too bad we won't be able to play her this year (when without Boley we're far too dependent on rookies being able to help inside) but two years of an All-B1G center, who should evolve to All-American status, ain't bad. Gotta find the point guard for that 2018 team.

Comment

Lili Thompson to Bolster Backcourt :: Notre Dame Women's Basketball :: UND.COM :: The Official Site of Notre Dame Athletics
                                      Leigh Torbin ND PR

NOTRE DAME, Ind. - A steady run of WNBA-caliber point guards at Notre Dame has gained another name to the roll as two-time all-Pac-12 selection Lili Thompson (Mansfield, Texas) will join the Irish for the 2017-18 season as a graduate transfer from Stanford. Thompson will immediately add a veteran’s presence of leadership and elite experience to the Irish squad having served as a team captain for Stanford. She also played in the 2014 Final Four along with helping Stanford to a 2014 Pac-12 regular season crown and 2015 Pac-12 Tournament championship.

Thompson appeared in 104 games for Stanford from 2013-16, starting 96 of them before sitting out this past year. In three seasons of play, Thompson tallied 1,250 points to rank 28th in Cardinal history. Her junior year saw her record a career-best 14.7 points per game to rank 11th in the Pac-12. Serving as team captain in 2015-16, Thompson upped her game in the post-season, averaging 16.5 points per game in helping to lead Stanford to the Elite Eight.

In addition to being named all-Pac-12 twice, Thompson was a two-time honorable mention for the Pac-12’s all-academic team. She was on the preseason watch list for the 2016 Naismith and Wooden Awards, a 2016 honorable mention for the Pac-12’s all-defensive team, and a 2015 CoSIDA academic all-district selection.

Thompson was named espnW’s national player of the week twice at Stanford. The first came on Nov. 23, 2014, after she averaged 26.0 points in games against UConn and Texas, including 24 points in an upset of the top-ranked Huskies. She earned the national accolade again on Feb. 1, 2016, after averaging 28.5 points per game in wins over Washington and Washington State.

“She’s a scoring point guard,” said Muffet McGraw, Notre Dame’s Karen and Kevin Keyes Family Head Women’s Basketball Coach. “She has good leadership skills and is capable of running the team. She gives us experience at the highest level and a maturity beyond her years. We are excited to have another 3-point shooter in our offense and look forward to big things from Lili Thompson.”

In addition to Thompson, the Irish will add a pair of talented freshmen next season, including McDonald’s All-American Danielle Patterson (Brooklyn, N.Y.) and McDonald’s All-American nominee Mikayla Vaughn (Fairfax, Va.) whose Paul VI High School team spent much of this past season ranked No. 1 in the nation.

--ND--
                                      Last edited by BGIF; 06-03-2017, 07:57 AM.

Comment

ND PR on Shepherd

Shepard Transfer to Strengthen Irish Roster
                                        Two-time All-Big Ten selection to join Notre Dame women's basketball program this summer.

June 8, 2017

By Leigh Torbin

NOTRE DAME, Ind. - The Notre Dame women's basketball team continues to reload and position itself for continued dominance as the Irish welcome the addition of Nebraska transfer Jessica Shepard. The two-time All-Big Ten forward will enroll in summer classes and have two seasons of eligibility remaining, starting in 2018-19.

Shepard was named the Big Ten Freshman of the Year in 2016 and claimed a spot on the all-Big Ten team during each of her two seasons with the Huskers. As a sophomore in 2016-17, she averaged 18.6 points per game and 9.8 rebounds per game, totaling 15 double-doubles. Shepard earned a spot on the Naismith Award's Midseason Top 30 list, a list that also included her new Notre Dame teammates Arike Ogunbowale and Brianna Turner.

As a freshman, Shepard set a Big Ten record by being named the freshman rookie of the week 10 times en route to Big Ten Freshman of the Year accolades. Shepard earned two Big Ten Player of the Week awards that season and was the espnW National Player of the Week on Jan. 25, 2016, after recording the first 30-point, 20-rebound game in school history -- scoring 35 points and grabbing 20 boards in a win over Michigan.

Shepard has twice been named to both the Nebraska scholar-athlete honor roll and the Tom Osborne citizenship team. A native of Fremont, Nebraska, Shepard earned Parade All-America honors at Fremont High School and was the two-time Gatorade Nebraska Player of the Year. She played for Team USA in the 2014 Under-18 National Team, helping the U.S. to a gold medal in the FIBA Americas Championship. She averaged 12.6 points and 3.8 rebounds per game in the event, helping Team USA win all five of its games. Among Shepard's teammates on that gold medal-winning American team were current Irish teammates Marina Mabrey and Brianna Turner.

"Jessica Shepard has a unique skill set and will fit in perfectly with the Princeton offense," Karen and Kevin Keyes Family Head Women's Basketball Coach Muffet McGraw said. "She's a great offensive threat who can face up, stretch the defense with her perimeter game, and can dominate on the block. Jess brings a wealth of experience to our program and we're excited to have her here in South Bend."

Shepard is just the latest off-season addition to the Irish lineup as Notre Dame aims to extend its streak of dual conference regular season and tournament titles to six years in 2017-18. Notre Dame will add a pair of talented freshmen next season, including McDonald's All-American Danielle Patterson (Brooklyn, N.Y.) and McDonald's All-American nominee Mikayla Vaughn (Fairfax, Va.), whose Paul VI High School team spent much of this past season ranked No. 1 in the nation. In addition, point guard Lili Thompson will join the team as a graduate transfer after a decorated three years at Stanford where she earned a pair of all-Pac-12 honors.

"We are excited to bring in such a talented and experienced recruiting class," McGraw said. "With the first two transfers in our program's recent history and two seniors coming from state championship high school programs, we filled a need for size, depth and experience. All four women are committed to excellence in all areas of their lives. We're excited to see them grow and succeed here at Notre Dame."

--ND--

Comment

In 2018-9 it would seem odd to see a Women's BBall team at ND push people around close to the basket. Can't remember that happening before.

C'mon Coach; get the point guard to go along with those Bigs.

Comment

In 2018-9 it would seem odd to see a Women's BBall team at ND push people around close to the basket. Can't remember that happening before.

C'mon Coach; get the point guard to go along with those Bigs.
                                            Muffett has the #1 PG committed so I think she already has it

Comment

Great to hear.

Comment

Originally posted by BGIF View Post
                                                Tournament's over.

There's a new season to prep for without Lindsay Allen and possibly without Brianna Turner depending on how the surgery and rehab go ... and whether she decides to move on to the next level.
                                                Oh, I hope she'll have a speedy recovery.
                                                Graphics Artist at Petstreetmall
                                                "Pet Supplies for pet lovers everywhere!

Comment

Don't know if it's been mentioned already, but Patberg transferred to IU. Announced it April.
                                                  Last edited by Irish#1; 06-16-2017, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Coach McGraw just landed the #1 PG, Anaya Peoples, in the 2019 class. She now has a 5 PG in both the 2018 and 2019 classes. Brey and McGraw killing it on the trail today

Comment

And ... you cannot go wrong by playing two great ball handlers at the same time (so long as at least one of them is a true scoring threat.) I can't tell you how "relaxing" it is as a coach to know that you cannot be effectively pressed, and to know that you are not going to wear out your on-floor general, or go completely chaotic if she gets into foul trouble.

This is beyond great news.

Comment

Sophomore Anaya Peoples commits to Notre Dame women's basketball program | Notre Dame Insider Women's Basketball | ndinsider.com

The 5-foot-10 five-star prospect verbally committed to Notre Dame and coach Muffet McGraw, becoming the first prospect in the Irish 2019 recruiting class.

ESPN’s Hoopgurlz ranks Peoples as the No. 1 point guard nationally in that recruiting cycle and the No. 7 player overall regardless of position.

Last season, Anaya Peoples averaged 15.6 points, 5.6 rebounds, 4.7 steals and 4.1 assists for Schlarman (21-6), one of the smallest schools in the state of Illinois but now with a big-time basketball program.

Comment

Peoples picks Notre Dame | News-Gazette.com

Thu, 06/22/2017 - 12:58pm | Matt Daniels

Peoples is the fourth-ranked prospect in the 2019 class nationally, according to ProspectsNation, and seventh, according to ESPN.

Comment

arguably the most talented guard prospect the Irish have signed since Skylar Diggins

That's quite a compliment considering the past 4 years of Lindsay Allison.

https://prospectsnation.com/story/pe...ses-notre-dame

By Chris Hansen
                                                            Managing Editor
                                                            Posted 5 min 51 sec ago

The 5-foot-10 guard chose Notre Dame over Connecticut and South Carolina, having recently made an unofficial visit to the latter.

Peoples is a dynamic guard who has shown over the years a dedication to improvement,” Brandon Clay of the JumpOffPlus.com International Report, said. “Her length in the backcourt coupled with her physical development make her an elite prospect nationally. She is capable of making all the plays you'd want a lead guard to complete. Peoples is a high level shooter, ball handler, passer and defender at the point guard position. She's arguably the most talented guard prospect the Irish have signed since Skylar Diggins.

Comment

I like the 5' 10" height she brings for a PG.

Comment

I'll take the height or leave it, though. We've seen plenty of great Women's point guards who didn't need the height. (Becky Hammon; Sue Bird; Lindsey Whalen --- the best pure point guards in the WNBA over the last decade and a half). Far more important is her "handle" and her end-to-end speed/quickness. She must be essentially "Zero Defects" vs pressure. (It's also nice if she can jump on the crash back help defense rebounds.)

Women's game really differs from the guys as to guard length, because they don't play much "Syracuse Zone" where length is the big deal. (And Muffet doesn't like playing zone much at all, even though she was forced to in the NCAA tournament, along with her junk defenses.) Length is important down low, since it creates blocks without being able to jump much.

I'm hoping for a guard who is basically un-pressable, and cool on the top of the key, and can penetrate and dish --- brains, nerves, handling skills. Lindsay Allen was an awfully lot like just that. Skylar was that plus the offense scoring.

Comment

They need another big; an elite one. I know they have 2 freshmen bigs this year and another 6'3" girl in the 18 class, but it'd be nice to get another one

Comment

the Nebraska forward is likely an elite big and she has two of those seasons eligible

Comment

Always a joy to catch WBB when they come to town - cheap date for the whole family, great seats close to the action and a great bunch of kids + world class coach to support. Great pick up for sure!

Comment

I'm not jealous of many things in my old age, but I am jealous of that. I'd love to see the Girls play, and Muffet coach.

Comment

Article and Video of Newest Recruit Anaya Peoples

"This is where I want to be" - Story

"This is where I want to be"
                                                                          Schlarman 5-star recruit Anaya Peoples commits to Notre Dame

By: Craig Choate
                                                                          Posted: Jun 27, 2017 04:59 PM CDT
                                                                          Updated: Jun 27, 2017 08:31 PM CDT

Comment

PG Overload

With Lindsay gone, Muffet picked up transfer Lili Thompson to fill in for a year until Jenna Brown, the #2 PG in the Class of '18 takes over.

Then the #1 PG in the Class of '19 and #7 player overall, Anaya Peoples committed to ND. Peoples was described as "the most talented guard prospect the Irish have signed since Skylar Diggins."

It's been a little more than 3 weeks since Peoples committed and now it appears Brown has decommitted. She no longer appears on either Prospect Nation or HoopGurlz as an ND commit.

Keil Moore‏
                                                                            @KeilMoorePSB

#BREAKING - 5* PG Jenna Brown has decided to reopen her recruiting process. Is no longer committed to Notre Dame.
                                                                            It would seem that Jenna isn't comfortable with being the go to PG for a year or so between Lili and Anaya. The prospect of competition challenges some while others seek different opportunities.

There are still a couple of PGs in the Class of '18 that might be interested. Marina has handled the role and could fill in if needed. Then there's the one that seemingly been waiting in the wings, from a family of team players, Dara Mabrey.
                                                                            Last edited by BGIF; 07-17-2017, 10:24 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• #39
                                                                              THAT whole news is lousy however. I wonder if Muffet could break it to Brown that playing two point guard quality handlers at the same time is a GOOD thing --- certainly the pros want at least two great handlers on the court at all times if they can get them. This is especially true if one of those guards is 5'10", and a major scorer. The smaller guard (Brown) could still be point most of the time.

Marina trying to run the point all game long is not a good idea, would distract her from her offense and wear her out (to say nothing of not having a true penetrating threat, nor a fast middle-of-the-break handler.)

Comment

• #40
                                                                                THAT whole news is lousy however. I wonder if Muffet could break it to Brown that playing two point guard quality handlers at the same time is a GOOD thing --- certainly the pros want at least two great handlers on the court at all times if they can get them. This is especially true if one of those guards is 5'10", and a major scorer. The smaller guard (Brown) could still be point most of the time.

Marina trying to run the point all game long is not a good idea, would distract her from her offense and wear her out (to say nothing of not having a true penetrating threat, nor a fast middle-of-the-break handler.)

Both recruits are 5-10, and both are major scorers.

Jenna Brown, 5-10, 18.2 points, 6.2 rebounds, 4.1 assists per game.

Anaya Peoples, 5-10, 15.6 points, 5.6 rebounds, 4.7 steals, 4.1 assists

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  Even better for Brown. Perfect opportunity for something like a Fire and Ice duo to catch the sport's world's eye.

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    This is what college sports has evolved to, players that are all about themselves, and not about the TEAM. This is sad.

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      Elite point guard Jenna Brown reopens recruitment after committing to Notre Dame
                                                                                      By Dan Olson | Jul 6, 2017
                                                                                      Special to espnW

Per her dad, Matt Brown:
                                                                                      Jenna just felt that she wasn't quite sure about Notre Dame. She really likes Muffet [McGraw] and her staff. She did a lot of thinking about it before she decided to reopen her recruitment. I would suspect that she makes a decision on her future in the near future.
                                                                                      Virginia, Vanderbilt, Georgia Tech and Stanford

She has a 3.9 GPA.

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        Not quite sure about Notre Dame...a great education with one of the best alumni supports in the country and a consistent final four basketball team. Yeah, I wouldn't be to sure about that either.

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          Originally posted by dad4aa View Post
                                                                                          Not quite sure about Notre Dame...a great education with one of the best alumni supports in the country and a consistent final four basketball team. Yeah, I wouldn't be to sure about that either.

Maybe it's The Crossroads?

Jumbotron?

Likes real grass?

New practice facility too new?

Heard Brey might be replacing McGraw?

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            ... maybe been reading the IE football threads and thinking that will spill over to WBBall. That's enough to terrorize any recruit.

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              Notebook: Ogunbowale continues to set the gold standard for Notre Dame women's hoops | Notre Dame Insider Women's Basketball | ndinsider.com
                                                                                              Eric Hansen 8/4/17

Airke selected for the Team USA Under 23 women’s BB team. Young, Shepherd, and Mabrey were considered.

Turner's rehab (ACL surgery) going well but no decision on '17 play until September.

ND not counting on Shepherd in '17 but will pursue NCAA waiver.

Westbeld (ankle surgery) expected back by season start while Johnson (shoulder surgery) expected 2-4 weeks later.

McGraw noted basketball transfers (Thompson and Shepherd) encounter the same difficulty ND football experiences with transfers:

It’s tough for us academically to get kids that are the level of the Notre Dame requirements. It’s tough to accept a lot of the credits.

If Turner and/or Shepherd can't go in '17, ND will have to play small ball like they did in the NCAA Tournament. Thompson is more a more active shooting guard than Allen adn could pick up some of the slack in the offensive attack. Patterson would have to help Westbeld corral rebounds. IF both BIGs cleared to play this could be a dominant team.
                                                                                              Last edited by BGIF; 08-06-2017, 02:02 AM.

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                All these things-maybe-going-wrong are driving me crazy. (probably Muffet too.) When I was helping Ron Stewart in a small way with the WMU girls, we had for two years the best one/two/three position players in the league (point guard/two guard/small forward.) The legendary Kent State coach looked at the league pre-season and said: Western has the best 1-2-3 in the conference; who's better? But if they get their brains beaten out on the boards, it won't matter.

REALLY rooting against Deja Vu...............

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Big news: the NCAA approved ND F Jessica Shepard&#39;s eligibility request. She&#39;ll be immediately eligible for Notre Dame.</p>&mdash; Mike Vorel (@mikevorel) <a href="https://twitter.com/mikevorel/status/925849849265836033?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 1, 2017</a></blockquote>
                                                                                                  <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    Thats good news, but it still looks like this team is going to be playing with a short bench. It will be fun to see how they adjust this year.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X