Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017-2018 Notre Dame Men's Basketball

https://twitter.com/timprister/statu...30315222138890
    This is a good article on a look ahead to next years team. Could be a deep bench next year.

If someone wants to embed the tweet that would be great.

Futures Market: ND Hoops 2017-2018 - Notre Dame - Scout

Comment

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Analysis: As one <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NotreDame?src=hash">#NotreDame</a> men&#39;s basketball season ends, the next one about to begin. What will it look like? <a href="https://t.co/shfQ1DxP2o">https://t.co/shfQ1DxP2o</a> <a href="https://t.co/KiBthjFvn0">pic.twitter.com/KiBthjFvn0</a></p>&mdash; Tom Noie (@tnoieNDI) <a href="https://twitter.com/tnoieNDI/status/843575438089904128">March 19, 2017</a></blockquote>
      <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Comment

IF colson decides to come back next year this team could be pretty special. Colson will get stronger in offseason and be probably even better in the post. Farrell will probably end up being our go to guy for clutch shots. Rex is always gonna be strong on D, now if he can learn to drive and finish that would be awesome. Ryan hopefully decides to stay cause he could be a threat at anytime to go off and score, he just needs to learn how to play D. Geben and Torres hopefully give good minutes next year. Gibbs will get a ton of minutes next year and hopefully he can make the most of it cause he will be a great talent. I'm extremely excited to see how well Djogo is. I saw him at practice and he looked athletic and long. Harvey is very athletic and can score at will. I hope he translates to college ball quick cause he could be an awesome asset to this team next year. Mooney and Burns will hopefully get some time next year. When I was at practice Burns was extremely vocal. He was very loud on the defensive end. Let's hope he can learn on the offensive side this off season cause he can defiantly bring some intensity with him.

Comment

Maui Invitational

ND back in Maui Invitational next November. Good field of teams.

And here is the ACC schedule for next season.

• 2017-18

Home and away: Boston College, Georgia Tech, North Carolina, North Carolina State.

Home only: Florida State, Louisville, Miami, Pittsburgh, Virginia Tech.

Away only: Clemson, Duke, Syracuse, Virginia, Wake Forest.
          ACC sets future Notre Dame basketball league schedules | Notre Dame Insider Men's Basketball | ndinsider.com

Comment

Maybe something to look forward to next season assuming Bonzie returns...

The last 13 games of the season, he went 16/25 (64%) on 3s, and in the prior 23 games he shot 9/35 (26%) on 3s.

In those 13 games, he averaged 21.6 per game. In the prior 23 games he averaged 15.6 per game.

Maybe this was just a fluke hot shooting streak (and there's way no way to expect him to keep up that shooting percentage), but I'm hoping this big increase in scoring can be attributed to the fact he had to be defended far away from the basket by the end of the year which he was able to exploit.

The offense started clearly running through him by the end of the year, so there were more opportunities for him. Still, it's exciting to think of what he can do if he really works on his outside shooting this offseason.

Comment

I think it would be best for him to return. As great of a player that he is, I'm not sure he'll find a home in the NBA. There are a lot of guys with great wingspans in the NBA that will offset the advantage he enjoys now and he doesn't have the quickness to defend the three like he'll need to be able to.

Having said that, he's a warrior and that can carry you pretty far.

Comment

Looks like Brey will have a unique challenge next year with utilizing a deeper bench. Certainly it's a good problem to have, because he typically has 7 guys to play at his disposal. Looking forward to the development of Gibbs from year 1 to year 2. He logged some great experience at the tail end of the season in both the ACC and NCAA tournament.

Comment

The 2017-18 team should be pretty darn good. Having Ferrell and Colson back will obviously be huge. I expect Gibbs to take a big step forward in minutes and production as well. I'm hoping one of, or both, Mooney or Burns can develop into a big man that Brey can rely on. It will be exciting to see what Harvey can do his freshman year.

If they can win 26 games this season, there isn't a reason they shouldn't win more than that next year.

Comment

Bonzie doesn't need to come back, it's not like he's going to get taller or become more skilled of a scorer (because he already is very skilled), but if he does, he should focus on his fitness big time. I think that's the only area he can improve - broaden those shoulders and cut some fat.

BodyByBonzie

Comment

Why would Bonzie not come back?? I brought this up during the season and it sounded like there was next to no call for him to leave early... has that changed??
                      This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                        Why would Bonzie not come back?? I brought this up during the season and it sounded like there was next to no call for him to leave early... has that changed??
                        Kind of a catch 22 to me. He's not going to get a high draft pick at all, but what else does he have to improve? It's not like he needs another year in college to improve his shot, decision making, footwork, etc. Those are already great. Hence my post about coming back to improve his fitness, because that's the only thing I think he can improve with another year, and it's not like he's missing out on a 1st round pick by doing so.

Comment

I know you can always come back to get your degree. I know you can take summer classes and blah blah blah... But Bonzie has no real incentive to leave, while having all the reasons to stay. Get stronger, work on his outside shot, and get his degree. He isn't going to slide waiting a year.

Comment

Originally posted by GowerND11 View Post
                            I know you can always come back to get your degree. I know you can take summer classes and blah blah blah... But Bonzie has no real incentive to leave, while having all the reasons to stay. Get stronger, work on his outside shot, and get his degree. He isn't going to slide waiting a year.
                            This is how I feel. He's going to maybe be a 2nd rounder this year or next whenever he leaves. Either way, he's either going to catch on to an NBA team or go to Europe. He can get a one year head start on that, but I'm sure the idea of being "the man" on this team is tempting. He can come back, put up crazy numbers, get his degree, and he's already been to two Elite 8s...he'd get his number retired if he averaged 20/10 and led this team to the Final Four....

Comment

I can totally understand Matt Ryan's frustration, the point he needs to appreciate is that HE will now get that benefit of staying on the court during 1-12 shooting nights that VJ had all year (really last two years). VJ was a liability on defense, played as small as any 6-8 guy in the country despite some pretty long arms - would be interesting to see what his high water mark for rebounds was all year. Nobody should have been shooting threes over VJ yet it happened all the damn time. Ryan showed a lot of defensive improvement toward the end of the year and I think he can lock down a core position in Brey's short line up (by that I mean his 6-7 man go-to rotation, not height wise). Geben and Torres may play bigger but Ryan opens up the offense for everyone.

Comment

Colson is a great college player, and his unconventional "shape" allows him to play three to four inches "taller" than he is. But it's difficult to see how that translates to the NBA with all its 6'8"/6"9/6'10" skywalkers blocking shots. Secondly, the NBA requires almost all its people to run and, if in position, to shoot the threes. Plus, it's hard to see him being slotted into a near-the-basket position offensively, and more important defensively --- raw height-without-yet-jumping still counts there. CAN he be a wing?

Colson's such a winner-warrior that he'd be good to have on your bench, but if you're an NBA coach do you want to spend a high draft pick (without him proving more to you in, say, another year of college)? If anyone here knows what his family's economic situation is, that might be a factor.

His senior year should be a lot of fun, and something that he'll never get a second crack at. That and graduating might be valued over other factors unless his family needs the money now. I'd stay, but no one asked me during my intramural days with the Chem Club team.

Comment

Originally posted by koonja View Post
                                  Bonzie doesn't need to come back, it's not like he's going to get taller or become more skilled of a scorer (because he already is very skilled), but if he does, he should focus on his fitness big time. I think that's the only area he can improve - broaden those shoulders and cut some fat.

BodyByBonzie
                                  I disagree. He can still improve his offensive game, but his biggest area for development is on defense. If his aspirations are to play in Europe, then he should go now. Given the number of second round guys that make a roster is pretty low, if he wants a legit shot at the NBA he needs to stay and improve himself as much as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                                    I disagree. He can still improve his offensive game, but his biggest area for development is on defense. If his aspirations are to play in Europe, then he should go now. Given the number of second round guys that make a roster is pretty low, if he wants a legit shot at the NBA he needs to stay and improve himself as much as possible.
                                    Well yeah, everyone can theoretically improve their game every year. But can he handle the ball for a big? Yes. Can he score in the post? Without a doubt. Can he pass? Without a doubt. Can he shoot from the outside for a big? Without a doubt. It's not like his offense has any glaring weakness he has to perfect.

His defense can improve, and that'd improve as a by product of shaping his body better, which is my only 'weakness' I can find for him to actually improve to a significant degree.

Comment

Well yeah, everyone can theoretically improve their game every year. But can he handle the ball for a big? Yes. Can he score in the post? Without a doubt. Can he pass? Without a doubt. Can he shoot from the outside for a big? Without a doubt. It's not like his offense has any glaring weakness he has to perfect.

His defense can improve, and that'd improve as a by product of shaping his body better, which is my only 'weakness' I can find for him to actually improve to a significant degree.
                                      But he isn't a big. In the NBA he needs to transition to a wing if he has any value for an organization. He's 6'5.... He can't play the post in the NBA, this isn't Charles Barkley's NBA. He needs to improve that outside shooting to not just be "good for a big." He needs to shoot well for an NBA player.

Comment

But he isn't a big. In the NBA he needs to transition to a wing if he has any value for an organization. He's 6'5.... He can't play the post in the NBA, this isn't Charles Barkley's NBA. He needs to improve that outside shooting to not just be "good for a big." He needs to shoot well for an NBA player.
                                        Beat me to it, but you're correct. Reshaping his body isn't going to fix everything. The margin for getting into the NBA is so small that the smallest improvement might make the difference. Can he handle the ball? He's not bad, but I see more than marginal room for improvement in ball handling and driving to the basket. Especially having to play at the 3 or 4.

Comment

I don't remember where I read it, but Colson will be back. Brey expects him, and I think will encourage him, to go through the pre draft process without signing with an agent like Beachem did last year.

Colson, and the rest of the team, could really benefit from some time in the weight room this off season. They looked like they were really wearing down the last couple weeks. Part of that is the short rotation playing big minutes all year, but the guys just looked weak. Brey alluded to that after the West Virginia game, calling WVU a bunch of men. Maybe we'll see him in the weight room with the team at 6 in the morning this summer.

Comment

Notre Dame Basketball: Plans in Place for New Practice Facility https://t.co/3p7EXwb3tV
                                            Finally getting a new facility? Supposed to be done by 2018-2019

Comment

Looks pretty awesome! About time.

My favorite quote from NDNation:
                                              ndcrazymike says:
                                              March 21, 2017 at 6:49 am
                                              Finally! Irish need to compete with the big boys of the ACC! Brey really deserves this he has proven the IRISH can play with and beat anybody!! This facility should bring them 1 or 2 Mcdonalds all americans! every year instead of none! MIKE BREY deserves this for the job he does!
                                              "Fvck Michigan" - The World

Comment

Originally posted by Henges24 View Post

Wait. Is this real? This can't be real. I refuse to believe....

Comment

Originally posted by Henges24 View Post

Hell yea hopefully this will help recruiting. If we could just get one more big time player a year i think it would help a lot.
                                                  Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

Chase Jeter is transferring from Duke. Wonder if we'd have any interest. Former 5-star from Bishop Gorman. He'd have to sit out a year, but good size (6'10") and I assume there wouldn't be any academic issue with that transfer.

Wasn't very productive at Duke in his two years but would be worth a look IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan View Post
                                                      Chase Jeter is transferring from Duke. Wonder if we'd have any interest. Former 5-star from Bishop Gorman. He'd have to sit out a year, but good size (6'10") and I assume there wouldn't be any academic issue with that transfer.

I think that's a dream but its a dream I would really like to have. Would be an amazing pick up if possible.

Comment

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.5d110309dfe7

Washington Post reported that Brey was in the top 3 that Georgetown was looking at for their head coaching vacancy along with Shaka Smart and Tommy Amaker.

Dave McKenna reported today that a source close to Brey has informed him that Brey has turned down Georgetown. Rewind 5 years and I never could've imagined typing these sentences.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                                                          https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.5d110309dfe7

Washington Post reported that Brey was in the top 3 that Georgetown was looking at for their head coaching vacancy along with Shaka Smart and Tommy Amaker.

Dave McKenna reported today that a source close to Brey has informed him that Brey has turned down Georgetown. Rewind 5 years and I never could've imagined typing these sentences.
                                                          You're right. ND is arguably the better job right now, and in the foreseeable future. Amazing how much of a downturn Georgetown has experienced.

Comment

Do we know which jobs Brey has turned down in the past? Cal and Maryland?

I'm sure there have been many like Georgetown where he just instantly turns them down and it doesn't become a story.

Comment

I honestly think Brey will never leave ND even if the duke job were to come up. He loves it here and he is an absolutely perfect fit. And if this new practice facility really does come to fruition why would he ever leave he would pretty much have everything he wants.

He probably needs to get paid more to be honest. Idk how much he makes now but the past 3 seasons have proven he is one of the best coaches in the game right now
                                                              Last edited by NDGOLDEN; 03-27-2017, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NDGOLDEN View Post
                                                                I honestly think Brey will never leave ND even if the duke job were to come up. He loves it here and he is an absolutely perfect fit. And if this new practice facility really does come to fruition why would he ever leave he would pretty much have everything he wants.

He probably needs to get paid more to be honest. Idk how much he makes now but the past 3 seasons habe proven he is one of the best coaches in the gamr right now
                                                                I agree, he seems to love being at ND. Also, if Mike Brey were to leave the school he would have done so already. I just can't imagine him leaving after 15+years at ND.
                                                                Love Thee Notre Dame!

Comment

BodyByBonzie
                                                                  As much as I love Bonzie, he will never play in the NBA. I hope he comes back and enjoys a decent run next year. If he declares, he will be out of the D league in 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by BabyIrish View Post
                                                                    I agree, he seems to love being at ND. Also, if Mike Brey were to leave the school he would have done so already. I just can't imagine him leaving after 15+years at ND.
                                                                    Agree, if it were going to happen, it would have happened by now.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingbish01 View Post
                                                                      As much as I love Bonzie, he will never play in the NBA. I hope he comes back and enjoys a decent run next year. If he declares, he will be out of the D league in 2 years.
                                                                      Out of the D League? Idk about that, but you're right, his skills and body type do not fit the NBA. I think it was Matt Freeman on ISD a couple weeks back that leaked from an NBA scout that Bonzie will have a long career in Europe.

Comment

Duke Forward Sean Obi to transfer

Grad transfer Center on the market from Duke. Was great as a freshman at Rice, transferred to Duke, then hardly played due to injuries. Supposedly he is healthy now.

Comment

Best things Bonzie could do for himself is become a more consistent 3 point shooter and better passer. I could see him sticking as a Boris Diaw on the Spurs type player off the bench if he can do that. Don't know if he'll ever have the passing ability but his jumper was great all year.

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan View Post

I think K said he was one of the best academic performers on the team - Sure would be a great frame to add to the lineup!

Comment

• #39
                                                                              Originally posted by Kingbish01 View Post
                                                                              The same things were said about Draymond Green. The NBA is a league full of unconventional talents. 7 footers are regularly getting triple doubles and handling the ball. Stretch 5's are used regularly. Bonzie may not have fit in the league 10 years ago but if you can play, they will use you.

Comment

• #40
                                                                                Originally posted by Ignats View Post
                                                                                The same things were said about Draymond Green. The NBA is a league full of unconventional talents. 7 footers are regularly getting triple doubles and handling the ball. Stretch 5's are used regularly. Bonzie may not have fit in the league 10 years ago but if you can play, they will use you.
                                                                                The difference is that Draymond could do it all in college. If Bonzie works on his 3 and becomes a legit playmaker, sure he can fit into the NBA. However, he hasn't shown that at the moment. He'll be playing professionally, we just don't know if it'll be in the NBA or not.

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  Originally posted by Ignats View Post
                                                                                  Bonzie has found a way to rebound and score at a high level no doubt. But I am almost certain, that his game will not translate to the league. Too many 6'5 players that can score like him, not to mention pass and dribble better. They way he works around the rim in college won't work when everyone around him is 7 foot and athletic.

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    Draymond Green is almost 6'6" without shoes. What is Bonzie's legitimate height if he's listed at 6'5"?

If Bonzie were a legit 6'5" without shoes and continued to work on his defense + outside shot I could see him being an NBA player. But if he's shorter than that, it's kind of crazy to imagine someone who is the size of a shooting guard having any ability to play in the post.

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      But Bonzie does have a freakish wingspan. Isn't that what really matters? His reach?
                                                                                      "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        Wow Matt Ryan is transfering

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          Shit. Thought he'd probably be our 3rd leading scorer next season. This sucks.

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            I know people were posting in the other thread that it sounded like he was going to leave/on the fence. Do we know any inside scoop?

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              I know people were posting in the other thread that it sounded like he was going to leave/on the fence. Do we know any inside scoop?
                                                                                              Ya I posted in the thread of last season and said that he was just very unhappy with his position on the team. Didn't like that he wasnt getting any playing time.
                                                                                              I mean I dont blame him but if he was gonna trabsfer why not,late season when he knew he wasnt gonna play that much instead of now he would have started. Makes no sense

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                He went from 15 min per game Freshman year to 8 min per game this year

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  Originally posted by ab2cmiller View Post
                                                                                                  He went from 15 min per game Freshman year to 8 min per game this year
                                                                                                  Wow didnt realize that. Makes more sense now. I think rex surpassed him on depth chart for sure. Also Harvey would have been gunning for his job.

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    Honestly I don't see it as a big loss, he was supposed to be a better shooter than what he showed and his defense was very underwhelming. Moving on...

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X