No announcement yet.

#3 Notre Dame vs. #1 Kentucky (Elite 8)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #3 Notre Dame vs. #1 Kentucky (Elite 8)

Safe to say Kentucky has their game under control.

IMO, if we ever somehow won this game, it would be the biggest win in program history. I wasn't around for UCLA in their heyday, but I think the combo of making the Final Four (much harder nowadays with the college athletics climate than in the 70s) plus knocking off a 37-0 Goliath would top anything we've ever done as a program.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdmyoMe4iHM

Comment

Yeah I think this would be a bigger win than ending UCLA's streak.

Also, not going to happen.

Comment

Please, Please, Please... do not say anything stupid in the media over the next 48 hours... Do not poke the beast! Only thing I will say game plan wise, is that I could see us using zone to try to utilize their size advantage some, but honestly going to take a Herculean effort to keep this one close. They just have to much size across the board, and all their big guys are very skilled. Best off luck to our boys, I know they will give it their all. Also, if Zach gets into foul trouble early we are toast, so hopefully he plays smart.

Comment

Agree would be the biggest win in schools history.

This team has the athleticism to hang with Kentucky, but just doesn't have the size. Only hope for Notre Dame is to out score Kentucky in a shoutout and hope Kentucky has an off night.

Sent via tapatalk

Comment

Catholics vs. paid hicks...
            This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

If my math is correct, Notre Dame has eight wins over the Sweet Sixteen teams. Kentucky has two.

Irish victory confirmed.

Comment

Originally posted by CTIDANDREW View Post
                Please, Please, Please... do not say anything stupid in the media over the next 48 hours... Do not poke the beast! Only thing I will say game plan wise, is that I could see us using zone to try to utilize their size advantage some, but honestly going to take a Herculean effort to keep this one close. They just have to much size across the board, and all their big guys are very skilled. Best off luck to our boys, I know they will give it their all. Also, if Zach gets into foul trouble early we are toast, so hopefully he plays smart.

Zach can't get in trouble, we play clean, and they have a somewhat down night...and it will be interesting. I think I may keep my vBucks on the sidelines here.

Comment

Seriously, no media comments, no locker room material.

Comment

I think Grant will give Kentucky trouble with his speed and penetration. But the trees of Kentucky will be too much.

Comment

Wow 8:49 tip time! NCAA serious about putting the pursuit of perfection in prime time

Comment

Suck them off in media time... Lou Holtz style... For serial.
                        This sig will not change until The Browns win the Super Bowl... So get real used to it.

Comment

And David put his hand in his bag and took out a stone and slung it.

Comment

Kentucky favored by 10.5.

Comment

THREE lesser teams all with 10+ losses from a CRAP conference were one missed shot away from beating these kids. ND on a good night is built to beat this pay for play team that is far from perfect. I hope ND brings their A game and shocks the ESPN zombies. West Virginia did the Irish a huge favor tonight. They gave up like cowards and UK is ripe.

Comment

We are, far and away, the best team Kentucky has faced all season long. The only teams close are Louisville and UNC. Jackson and Grant played well against two of the best guards in the country (Van Vleet and Baker), so they should have no problem against the Harrisons. Those giants up front are what concern me, but nothing we're new to.
                                It's Just a Ride.

Comment

Comment

Catholics vs. Paid Hicks... Let's do this...

Comment

Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                                      Catholics vs. paid hicks...
                                      Originally posted by ACamp1900 View Post
                                      Catholics vs. Paid Hicks... Let's do this...
                                      Third time's the charm

Comment

UK - more size
                                        UK - more NBA talent
                                        UK - more depth

ND - more heart

Lets get em!!

Comment

Is there any way we can use GPA/class difficulty/Team graduation rate/etc as some sort of multiplier?
                                          Fan since Vagas Ferguson and Jerome Heavens!

Comment

I would rather have this win than pretty much any sporting event ever. If we could shutup all the morons of the big blue nation that I have to see and hear every day I would be forever grateful.

Comment

Not sure it would be the biggest win, but it would rank up there. One could argue that back then the tournament was tougher because only the best teams were in it, so the opening game wasn't a cakewalk. I remember watching that game and ND pretty much played a perfect game to break the 88 game win streak. I honestly don't think UCLA played that well, as proven by the thumping they gave ND the following week.

To put it in perspective. UCLA was NCAA championing in 1964, 1965, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973 and 1975. The 1974 team was in the Final Four. They had an NCAA tourney 38 game win streak from 64-74.

This UK team appears to be as talented as those UCLA teams, but they don't have the track record to back it up.

This would definitely be the biggest win the the Brey era.

BTW...........Loved Brey's enthusiasm in the post game interview and in the locker room afterward.

Comment

If Grant can get penetration and force the bigs to come to him, the cutter should be able to get some buckets at the rim.

Comment

Originally posted by ShawneeIrish View Post
                                                  I would rather have this win than pretty much any sporting event ever. If we could shutup all the morons of the big blue nation that I have to see and hear every day I would be forever grateful.
                                                  Oh man, this x100000000.

Northern Kentucky has been unbearable for just about the entire season. It's getting so much worse at such a fast rate as they approach the natty.

If ND could somehow pull the upset, I would literally ride that for the rest of my life against my friends.

I just don't think it will happen.

ND will need to play as physical as UC did, UK will have to shoot poorly, and ND will need to be on fire from 3 for the duration of the game.

One of the best things about this ND team is that when they go cold or get into a funk, they have Grant, Jackson, and Connaughton (or even Vasturia) who can drive to the rack and break the slump with an athletic play to jumpstart things... but it's just not possible to do that against UK haha. Every shot that goes up inside, there are 6-8 arms all in proper position to block the shot. It's unreal.

ND will need Grant and Jackson to drive effectively with the intent not to score, but to dish it to the perimeter when UK's bigs all collapse, or to dish it to Connaughton on an effective backside cut. Otherwise, it's gonna be a defensive block party for UK.

Comment

Has the entire sports nation ever been behind Notre Dame before? In anything?

This feels weird.

Comment

NDs guards > Kentuckys guards
                                                      Kentuckys bigs >>>>>> NDs bigs

I think ND puts up a good fight and loses by 7-15.

Comment

Originally posted by wizards8507 View Post
                                                        Has the entire sports nation ever been behind Notre Dame before? In anything?

This feels weird.
                                                        FSU last year

Comment

We will win with consistent shooting, tenacious D and superior graduation rates

Comment

Originally posted by IrishLion View Post

ND will need Grant and Jackson to drive effectively with the intent not to score, but to dish it to the perimeter when UK's bigs all collapse, or to dish it to Connaughton on an effective backside cut. Otherwise, it's gonna be a defensive block party for UK.
                                                            Yup yup yup.

This game is all about NDs accuracy on the perimeter. They have the weapons it just depends on how hot they get towards the end of the game.

Comment

From being at the games last night, it is amazing how long and athletic Kentucky is. ND is going to have to be hitting on all cylinders to win this one. Grant cant play like he did last night. We may have no inside game whatsoever. I do think it is doable. There is just something about this team. I was amazed at the confidence they had last night. It borders on cocky. The blowout was the best thing to happen. Hopefully KY is feeling pretty good about themselves. I may head up again to Cleveland for tomorrow. Is anyone else going?

Comment

Originally posted by Who'saWildManNow View Post
                                                                Yup yup yup.

This game is all about NDs accuracy on the perimeter. They have the weapons it just depends on how hot they get towards the end of the game.
                                                                I think it would be best if the game plays out exactly like the Wichita State game.

If ND can start out extremely hot and get some cushion, and then weather the storm when they stop hitting everything, they might be able to keep UK from running away. Then, if they can get hot again midway through the second half, they'll have a chance to put themselves in the driver's seat heading into crunch time.

The problem is getting hot and actually putting a run together though. Kentucky has so many freaks that they don't often go stagnant. Even if ND is hitting everything, Kentucky will have someone capable of answering, preventing a true scoring run.

BUT, if ND can get into the last 5 minutes of the game within striking distance, I'll like their chances. UK has only faced true adversity a few times this season, and none of those instances were against teams with the killer instinct that ND appears to have.

(I fear I may be getting my hopes up now, dammit. UK has the potential to beat literally any team in the country by 30 points if they put it all together, much like last night.)

Comment

Originally posted by IrishLion View Post
                                                                  Oh man, this x100000000.

Northern Kentucky has been unbearable for just about the entire season. It's getting so much worse at such a fast rate as they approach the natty.

If ND could somehow pull the upset, I would literally ride that for the rest of my life against my friends.

I just don't think it will happen.

ND will need to play as physical as UC did, UK will have to shoot poorly, and ND will need to be on fire from 3 for the duration of the game.

One of the best things about this ND team is that when they go cold or get into a funk, they have Grant, Jackson, and Connaughton (or even Vasturia) who can drive to the rack and break the slump with an athletic play to jumpstart things... but it's just not possible to do that against UK haha. Every shot that goes up inside, there are 6-8 arms all in proper position to block the shot. It's unreal.

The good thing is that Notre Dame is probably the best team in the country at doing this. It is what makes their offense so damn good

Comment

Lets beat these SOB's.

Comment

There is also one thing ND has that UK doesn't, and that is senior leadership. Words can't describe how important senior leadership is during the tournament

Comment

The formula to winning will be hitting 10+ 3s, getting their big men in foul trouble, and rebounding on defense. Everyone needs to play nearly perfect, and Kentucky has to be a little off.

Comment

fivethirtyeight gives us a 13% chance of winning....

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan View Post
                                                                            I thought for sure we'd have at least a 14% chance.

Comment

• #39
                                                                              I fly for the UK in a couple hours. Does CBS stream the games online??

Comment

• #40
                                                                                Originally posted by irishfan View Post
                                                                                Here comes the "so you're saying there's a chance" memes...

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  Originally posted by Bugzly21 View Post
                                                                                  I fly for the UK in a couple hours. Does CBS stream the games online??
                                                                                  You can watch the games here: NCAA March Madness | NCAA.com

The stream was free for a certain period of time (not sure how long, but probably enough for a single game), at least in the early rounds. Then you need a cable subscription and log in information.

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    People (not here) claiming UK will blow us out...its one thing to say we lose, but we will only get blown out if we play poorly (e.g. against Duke in Cameron).

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      Originally posted by NDgradstudent View Post
                                                                                      People (not here) claiming UK will blow us out...its one thing to say we lose, but we will only get blown out if we play poorly (e.g. against Duke in Cameron).
                                                                                      Eh, I would disagree. Kentucky really is that good. If they play their best game it's incredibly difficult to not get blown out.

Funnier than you in 2012.

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        Another thought that if we can keep it close KY may tighten up. They are so talented but so young. All the pressure is on Ky at this point.

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          Originally posted by NDgradstudent View Post
                                                                                          They have very little drop off in talent between their first 5 and their second 5 and that is saying a lot. ND goes only 7 deep and only temporarily.

ND is going to have a difficult time inisde. They just dont have the bodies to match up down low. Things going in NDs favor are their ability to move the ball quickly, their efficiency and play at a high tempo. If they go cold though, the game will get out of hand quickly.

IDK if you watched WVU last night but the first half was hard to watch. Kentucky's defense down low was ridiculous.

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            Originally posted by Sherm Sticky View Post
                                                                                            Agree would be the biggest win in schools history.

This team has the athleticism to hang with Kentucky, but just doesn't have the size. Only hope for Notre Dame is to out score Kentucky in a shoutout and hope Kentucky has an off night.

Sent via tapatalk
                                                                                            Agree with this. Only chance we have to win is if we score more points than them.

Originally posted by notredomer23 View Post
                                                                                            The formula to winning will be hitting 10+ 3s, getting their big men in foul trouble, and rebounding on defense. Everyone needs to play nearly perfect, and Kentucky has to be a little off.
                                                                                            Agree with points #1 and #3. We have to be money from beyond the arc and can't give them second chances on offense. I'm not sure I agree with #2 though. Don't they have a lot of length on the bench? Would be nice to get them in foul trouble for the sake of outscoring them at the foul line but we'll be at a size disadvantage whether their starters are in or not.

Regardless, we have a chance. I just hope it's competitive. I love watching this team play and last night's game vs. WVU was brutal to watch. Not the way our seniors deserve to go out.

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              So Brey has talked multiple times about how when we go small other teams always match us and take out their bigs. Kentucky is obviously huge but are they quick enough? Will we be able to push some transition, get steals, wrap them up and pressure them? Who handles the ball for them?

Just looking for some rays of sunshine.

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                Originally posted by RDU Irish View Post
                                                                                                So Brey has talked multiple times about how when we go small other teams always match us and take out their bigs. Kentucky is obviously huge but are they quick enough? Will we be able to push some transition, get steals, wrap them up and pressure them? Who handles the ball for them?

From what I can tell, it's not just that their huge guys are huge. Their quick guys are also huge.

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  The three pointer has to hit a > 40% clip if we are going to pull the upset. And we have to shoot at least 25 threes, and that's on the low side. There are two aspects to this game: outside shooting and foul trouble. If we can get them in foul trouble with continuous shot fakes/pump fakes and we are hitting the outside shot, then ND has a chance.

Got to take their ball handler out of the game and get some of their bigs in foul trouble. This coming from a very inexperienced analyst.

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    Originally posted by RDU Irish View Post

UK has two huge X factors in Willie Cauley Stein and Trey Lyles. 6'10 and 7', both can guard guards. They literally allow WCS to cover any player on the court with switching. WCS moves incredibly well and he's quick.

Handling the ball they play 2-3 guards as necessary with 2 PGs at times (Ulis and Harrison). Trey Lyles, again, can handle the ball giving them a big out if they get trapped.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X