Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

#3 Notre Dame vs. #7 Wichita State (Sweet 16)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #3 Notre Dame vs. #7 Wichita State (Sweet 16)

Thursday night at 7:15 on CBS.

Going to be some great guard play in this one. Should be fun. Pretty pumped.
    Last edited by irishfan; 03-22-2015, 08:33 PM. Reason: updated tipoff time

I will be there. Should be a great game.

Comment

Thursday at 7:15. CBS.

Comment

Wichita State is good, but I think this game much more so than Butler is one that we can come out and runaway with if we are on. Let's go lights out Thursday and Saturday and see what we can do boys. It's all house money from here!

Comment

I like our chances. Wichita State is a lot like us. They're a small team with good guards. I like our guards better though. If Auguste and Colson can make things uncomfortable for WSU inside, I like our chances to win this one. They play deeper than us, generally going 9 deep, whereas we go 7. It'll be important to establish early and make them keep pace with us.
          It's Just a Ride.

Comment

I hope lots of ND fans can make the trip to Cleveland. Take advantage of the geography here. Otherwise it will be all Kentucky fans (for *both* Sweet 16 games).

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Balki View Post
              I like our chances. Wichita State is a lot like us. They're a small team with good guards. I like our guards better though. If Auguste and Colson can make things uncomfortable for WSU inside, I like our chances to win this one. They play deeper than us, generally going 9 deep, whereas we go 7. It'll be important to establish early and make them keep pace with us.

What I took away from today was WSU is ND, but with guys a tad more willing to fight their nuts off for loose balls and rebounds against bigger opponents. They are the textbook definition of scrappy.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishSteelhead View Post
                What I took away from today was WSU is ND, but with guys a tad more willing to fight their nuts off for loose balls and rebounds against bigger opponents. They are the textbook definition of scrappy.
                Agreed, but we're a pretty scrappy unit, just not consistently enough. That being said, we are definitely more talented. VanVleet and Baker are quite the dominant tandem, but we have a better one with Grant and D-Jax. Cotton vs Vasturia should be entertaining as well, but Vasturia is just on fire right now. Let's face it, Kansas' guard play was flat out atrocious, which is a recipe for disaster against the Shockers. Should be fun, but I think we'll pull it out.
                It's Just a Ride.

Comment

I think it's a really even matchup, I won't be upset if we lose. Wichita State is a really good team that had a great season and was laughably under-seeded at 7.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishLax View Post
                    I think it's a really even matchup, I won't be upset if we lose. Wichita State is a really good team that had a great season and was laughably under-seeded at 7.
                    Indeed. I'll be disappointed if we lose, because I do think we're the better team with a lot more to play for (WSU isn't really a tournament darling, since they've had tourney success, unlike us). But hard to complain about a ACC tourney title and Sweet 16 appearance.

I find it funny that a laughably under-seeded WSU team just took it to a laughably over-seated Kansas team. Of course, the whole Big XII has been one big joke this tournament. Laughably overrated.
                    It's Just a Ride.

Comment

A possible concern IMO is WSU's ability to get guys in foul trouble, and rack up FTs. They had IU and KU's bigs playing timid early.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishSteelhead View Post
                        A possible concern IMO is WSU's ability to get guys in foul trouble, and rack up FTs. They had IU and KU's bigs playing timid early.
                        IU has bigs?
                        The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
                        Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee

Comment

Originally posted by Irish YJ View Post
                          IU has bigs?

Like ND, the "bigger than the rests."

Comment

Like this match up for WSU. Experienced and battle tested backcourt. Cotton is an outstanding defender (really their defense as a team is great). ND might have a tad bit more athleticism but there isn't a better point guard in the country than Fred Van Vleet. If Baker is on the Shockers will take the game. Good seasons for both teams.

Comment

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/WichitaState?src=hash">#WichitaState</a> HC Gregg Marshall was 1-7 in <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NCAATournament?src=hash">#NCAATournament</a> as HC at Winthrop. The one W came over <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NotreDame?src=hash">#NotreDame</a> in 2007.</p>&mdash; Tim Prister (@timprister) <a href="https://twitter.com/timprister/status/579826122872999936">March 23, 2015</a></blockquote>
                              <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Forgot he was at Winthrop before WSU.

Comment

Originally posted by drake29 View Post
                                Like this match up for WSU. Experienced and battle tested backcourt. Cotton is an outstanding defender (really their defense as a team is great). ND might have a tad bit more athleticism but there isn't a better point guard in the country than Fred Van Vleet. If Baker is on the Shockers will take the game. Good seasons for both teams.
                                Yeah, but I think a lot of what rides on this game's outcome is more the success or failures of ND's guards. If Grant and Jackson are on, ND is probably gonna win. If they're not, ND is probably gonna lose. Cotton is an outstanding defender, but then again, so is Vasturia.
                                It's Just a Ride.

Comment

ND is going to have to withstand the D pressure. WSU gets away with a lot of fouling based on their D style.

It's bothered two O-oriented teams already.

ND will have to match that intensity on D as well.
                                  Prehistoric

Comment

Seeing us listed as a 1-point underdog.

Comment

Definitely two teams with similar styles. If we can keep VanVleet from having a good game, I think we win. Kansas youth was very apparent yesterday, especially after the Shockers pushed the lead to 9-10. We have an experienced team that doesn't get rattled like KU did.

Comment

If ND can out hustle WSU they will win - if they aren't willing to mix it up, dive for loose balls and basically scratch and claw til the end of the game they wont. Simple as that. Grant is the most talented player on the court but Van Vleet is a floor general and a true leader that's been in this game before. Van Vleet, Baker and Cotton have been major players for WSU ever since their final four run.

Comment

Looked at some computer rankings

Sagarin: #10 ND #13 Wichita
                                          KenPom: #10 ND #9 Wichita
                                          BPI: #10 ND #11 Wichita

Pretty much as close as it gets. For the record, Butler is #20, #19, and #21 in those rankings, so definitely a big time win there. Also, Kansas is #12, #12, and #8.

Comment

Can WSU beat ND? Yes. Should they? No. WSU is not the same team as last year with the loss of Cleanthony Early. If both teams play at the same efficiency, ND wins.

The one thing that bothers me is ND hasn't well yet, they've just played well when it matters. Hopefully Wichita brings out the best in the Irish.

Comment

I am hoping the mentality changes to that of playing with house money. Northeastern and Butler we never really clicked on all cylinders. We are good enough to beat good teams with less than our A game, now is the time to pick it up a notch.

Monkey is off the back, now just play ball and have fun.

For the record, I give Steve Vasturia the MVP of the last two weeks. He has been more CONSISTENTLY good than anyone (although DJ has been pretty straight up balls too.)

Comment

Anyone else going to the game Thursday or know of the pregame gathering spot for ND?

Comment

Great story on VanVleet from last year. Illinois and the rest of the B1G dropped the ball on this kid.

How Fred VanVleet&#39;s Stepdad Made Him the Perfect Point Guard for Wichita State | Bleacher Report

Comment

Originally posted by dang227 View Post
                                                    Anyone else going to the game Thursday or know of the pregame gathering spot for ND?
                                                    Check the Notre Dame Club of Cleveland's site and Bob Golic has/had a sports bar down by the football stadium. I'd guess there would be some Irish fans there.

Here's their Facebook page with info on a game watch, might have pep rally tailgate info upcoming.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Notre...05625719460254

Last edited by NDCrusader; 03-23-2015, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Cleveland ends with ND... (going to the Final Four!)

Last edited by NDCrusader; 03-23-2015, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
                                                        Check the Notre Dame Club of Cleveland's site and Bob Golic has/had a sports bar down by the football stadium. I'd guess there would be some Irish fans there.

Here's their Facebook page with info on a game watch, might have pep rally tailgate info upcoming.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Notre...05625719460254

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by NDCrusader View Post
                                                          Great story on VanVleet from last year. Illinois and the rest of the B1G dropped the ball on this kid.

How Fred VanVleet's Stepdad Made Him the Perfect Point Guard for Wichita State | Bleacher Report

Hey DJ - suit up.

Maybe he finds some Captain America socks or something.

Comment

2015 March Madness Predictions | FiveThirtyEight

fivethirtyeight gives us a 53% chance of winning against Wichita State. They are usually very accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by drake29 View Post
                                                              If ND can out hustle WSU they will win - if they aren't willing to mix it up, dive for loose balls and basically scratch and claw til the end of the game they wont. Simple as that. Grant is the most talented player on the court but Van Vleet is a floor general and a true leader that's been in this game before. Van Vleet, Baker and Cotton have been major players for WSU ever since their final four run.
                                                              Butler showed that you don't have to have the most talented player be be a very good team. It really comes down to who players better as a team. ND & WS both built they're programs around guys that aren't one and done and understand how to play as a team. They know each others strengths and play to them. Having said that, it could come down to the most talented player like it did with Grant hitting that tough bank shot to seal it.

Originally posted by RDU Irish View Post
                                                              I am hoping the mentality changes to that of playing with house money. Northeastern and Butler we never really clicked on all cylinders.
                                                              Against Northeastern I thought we just weren't totally dialed in. In the second game I think Butler had a lot to do with that.

Comment

I think we will win this game, but I am just happy that we got this far. What a terrific season. Even if we got beat by Wichita St, we really accomplished a lot this season.

I think there's still a lil magic left in the tank though.
                                                                Originally posted by koonja
                                                                I'm making peace with Woolly in 2017.

Comment

ND has the most W's against Sweet 16 teams with a record of 7-1. MSU worst at 0-4
                                                                  Last edited by Henges24; 03-25-2015, 07:44 AM. Reason: Fix: Most wins not best record
                                                                  "Fvck Michigan" - The World

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan View Post
                                                                    2015 March Madness Predictions | FiveThirtyEight

fivethirtyeight gives us a 53% chance of winning against Wichita State. They are usually very accurate.
                                                                    same as they gave Kansas. Tough sleddin here with these hyper predictions. We got 2 big reasons this year for our Mother to shine through for all of us. Go Mike! Go Father! Go ND!
                                                                    I was smarter when I drank...
                                                                    I'm always wrong. I'll correct myself If proven so.

Comment

GKIrish and I got shut out in the sale today at noon for tickets. We are looking for 3 or 4 tickets (would take a pair though) for Thursday and/or Saturday. If anyone hears of anything and wants to shoot us a PM, we would both greatly appreciate it. GK will be making the trip from out east and I'll be coming up from Columbus for both games

Comment

As good as VanVleet and Baker are, I think this matchup plays right into our strengths. Our two best defenders (DJ and Steve) can step right up and guard those two. The way Steve shut down Kellen Dunham was amazing and if he does that to Baker, I'm not so sure that Wichita State will have the offense to beat us unless they have guys like Wessel draining 3's.

Looking forward to traveling to Cleveland for this game and hopefully Saturday!

Comment

Originally posted by Ignats View Post
                                                                          As good as VanVleet and Baker are, I think this matchup plays right into our strengths. Our two best defenders (DJ and Steve) can step right up and guard those two. The way Steve shut down Kellen Dunham was amazing and if he does that to Baker, I'm not so sure that Wichita State will have the offense to beat us unless they have guys like Wessel draining 3's.

Looking forward to traveling to Cleveland for this game and hopefully Saturday!
                                                                          I love how all of the media is already talking about Wichita St vs Kentucky......bitch at least menton us.

Comment

Originally posted by heygipper View Post
                                                                            GKIrish and I got shut out in the sale today at noon for tickets. We are looking for 3 or 4 tickets (would take a pair though) for Thursday and/or Saturday. If anyone hears of anything and wants to shoot us a PM, we would both greatly appreciate it. GK will be making the trip from out east and I'll be coming up from Columbus for both games
                                                                            Stubhub starts at $210. Good luck!

Comment

• #39
                                                                              Originally posted by Henges24 View Post
                                                                              ND has the best record against Sweet 16 teams at 7-1. MSU worst at 0-4
                                                                              well except you know Kentucky since their like undefeated

Comment

• #40
                                                                                I see they played UNC and Louisville. Maybe the stat is the most wins versus Sweet 16.

You would think with a 7-1 record against the field we might get a smidge more respect.

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  Originally posted by NDPhilly View Post
                                                                                  well except you know Kentucky since their like undefeated
                                                                                  Correct. Way to ruin it.

Kentucky is 3-0, where they beat UNC, UCLA, and Louisville in back-to-back-to-back games.

Do we really count them in this situation? They are practically an NBA team.

ND has the most wins. Will fix above.
                                                                                  "Fvck Michigan" - The World

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    Wichita St has an excellent HC. Marshall is already being mentioned for openings but the thought is he will will wait for one of the "bluebloods" to have an opening. Unless it's crazy money, he won't settle for Alabama or the like.

If ND doesn't play better than the first two games, they'll loste to the Shockers. ND survived and advanced but they haven't found that gear they were in at Greesnboro. Find that & the sky is the limit. GO IRISH!
                                                                                    "I gotta keep rockin' while I still can. I gotta two pack habit & a motel tan." - Steve Earle

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      Originally posted by IRISHDODGER View Post
                                                                                      Wichita St has an excellent HC. Marshall is already being mentioned for openings but the thought is he will will wait for one of the "bluebloods" to have an opening. Unless it's crazy money, he won't settle for Alabama or the like.

If ND doesn't play better than the first two games, they'll loste to the Shockers. ND survived and advanced but they haven't found that gear they were in at Greesnboro. Find that & the sky is the limit. GO IRISH!
                                                                                      Agree 100%. This also exemplifies the importance of getting a high seed. It allows you to win without playing your A game. If we were a 4 or 5 seed we might have had a different outcome in our first game.

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        Originally posted by IRISHDODGER View Post

He'll have plenty of competition. There are a number of excellent coaches ready to take the next step.

Comment

• #45
                                                                                          2015 NCAA Tournament Opponent Preview: Notre Dame vs. Wichita State - One Foot Down

Game preview from OFD. They had us losing to Butler last week, but having us win 77-72 tomorrow.
                                                                                          Last edited by irishfan; 03-25-2015, 02:24 PM.

Comment

• #46
                                                                                            Don't see how we score 77 points on Wichita State, but then again I didn't see us blitzkrieging Duke in Greensboro either.

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              SIAP and I dont know if you guys recall this but Gregg Marshall coached Winthrop the year they beat ND in 2007.

Comment

• #48
                                                                                                For those coming into town
                                                                                                http://www.cleveland.com/marchmadnes...rt_maj-story-1

Comment

• #49
                                                                                                  #3 Notre Dame vs. #7 Wichita State (Sweet 16)

Originally posted by Cackalacky View Post
                                                                                                  SIAP and I dont know if you guys recall this but Gregg Marshall coached Winthrop the year they beat ND in 2007.

A friend of mine, who coached at WVU in 2007, is friends with Marshall and said at the time Mike Brey teams are some of the easiest to prepare for because they are so simplistic. Now this was eight years ago but he said Marshall was very confident back then and called the Winthrop upset. Hope things have changed.
                                                                                                  Last edited by dang227; 03-25-2015, 04:47 PM.

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    Originally posted by dang227 View Post
                                                                                                    A friend of mine, who coached at WVU in 2007, is friends with Marshall and said at the time Mike Brey teams are some of the easiest to prepare for because they are so simplistic. Now this was eight years ago but he said Marshall was very confident back then and called the Winthrop upset. Hope things have changed.
                                                                                                    In a way they are "simplistic" in that they aren't going to throw a curveball of a gameplan at you but the days of the burn offense and relying heavily on the 3 ball are gone.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                    Working...
                                                                                                    X