2021-2022 Notre Dame Men's Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by stpeteirish View Post
    Yeah, I agree with those above who are not seeing improvement. Brey is working in Atkinson and Wesley, who help, but the remaining 5 in the 7 man rotation are not giving me much hope for any kind of big step up. We appear at this early stage to be trading a marginal improvement in defense for a marginal decline in offense. Ryan, in particular, did yeoman work on D but sucked on O. None of the other holdovers seemed to be any different from last year (Laz started to hit the defensive boards last year and that has carried over nicely) except Hubb is worse.

Hubb's bad shooting will probably correct itself, he proved he can score. But he has no confidence right now. Wesley, Wertz and Ryan can probably play the point enough if Hubb's funk continues but more likely Brey will just let Hubb play through it.
    I disagree that there hasn’t been improments. Goodwin is already shooting better than he has the last 3 years. He is our best shooter and I’m confident he will make half his 3s. Hubb will eventually find his shot. Like every year he seems to start slow but as we have seen he can go off. Laz has been disappointing so far. He needs to get back to his 14ppg average. Atkinson looks solid so far. We can rely on him to get us 15 a game. It really comes down to can Hubb improve his shooting and can Ryan and wertz get back to how they were playing at the end of last year

Comment

• Originally posted by NDGOLDEN View Post

No way this happens. Could it? Ya but with a senior loaded team that should win us 20 wins at least. And the way Wesley has looked he will boost everyone around him.

If we don’t make tourney then this would be the most disappointing season in recent memory. I know we went 14-19 in 2018-19 but with the expectations to make the tourney this year and to only go .500 would be unbelievably disappointing

Luckily we have great talent coming in and freshman now
      Yes it would be very disappointing and I fully expect to be disappointed. Wesley has impressed against bad teams. I’m not convinced he’ll be able to produce against ACC teams. We’ll see. But we’re a mediocre team in my opinion.
      Love Thee Notre Dame!

Comment

• Its early but man this team scares me, and its crazy now to think that most of us had lofty goals for this team when they all came in.

Hubb has been WILDLY inconsistent. And he's so streaky that Brey should actually consider cutting his minutes when he's off, because he straight kills this team when he's not hitting. But he has shown when he does get streaky, he can put up 20+ easy.
        Ryan is just a glue guy that hustles hard, and makes a play here and there. I like him better off the bench tbh.
        Goodwin is a solid player. At some point though he became very tentative in his play, I feel like he attacked alot more when he first came in. He does seem to have a knack for hitting a needed basket.
        Laszewski has been incredibly disappointing... I thought he was going to light up from three, but he'll never be consistent with that flat ass arc he has. I am surprised that his shot hasnt been tweaked. But he still provides that stretch four on the floor that can hit shots when he's not in his own head.
        Atkinson is a solid player. But I think he'll struggle bad against other bigs in the ACC. I am looking forward to seeing what he can do.
        Wertz has been underwhelming, and I feel like the only way he can score is if he's open in transition. I dont know if he is restricted in the offense? But I feel like before he came to ND he attacked the basket very well.
        Wesley reminds me of Cam Reddish at this stage in his career... he has the tools, but he plays reckless. I do think by the end of the year he'll be one of the best players on the team.

I gave more negatives than positives above, but after seeing them against two teams they should be blowing out. I can't help but think they'll miss the tournament again and finish out as a huge disappointing class that had so much hype and promise.

But i'll keep cheering them on and hoping that all of these issues they have are turned around. I'd be glad to get it wrong and see them make a run.

Comment

• Today is the 20th anniversary of Mike Brey's first win at ND. 104-58 over Sacred Heart. What a wild run it's been. Super thankful for all that he has done for the program and hope that this latest surge pushes ND back for another run and creates long term stability for the future.

Comment

• Game against Saint Mary's today I think will be a decent indicator for where this team is. Unfortunately will not be watching with 11:30 PM tipoff

Comment

• Originally posted by notredomer23 View Post
              Game against Saint Mary's today I think will be a decent indicator for where this team is. Unfortunately will not be watching with 11:30 PM tipoff
              I'll probably watch the first half and make up my mind as to whether or not it's worth staying up for from there. I'm off on Wednesday so thankfully I can afford being a bit groggy for one work day haha
              My two favorite football teams: Notre Dame, and whoever's playing Michigan.

Comment

• Officiating the last 5 minutes was disgusting

Comment

• Originally posted by NDPhilly View Post
                  Officiating the last 5 minutes was disgusting
                  I hate blaming the refs for games because they didn’t shot the ball but in this case there was some absolute bullshit calls. Laz literally didn’t even touch the player going to rim. Next play Ryan goes to the rim and is bodied pretty good and would be called most times. Then wertz did not step out of bounds. His heel was up.

still had a chance to win or tie. Ryan not coming up clutch making both FT was killer

Comment

• A foot out of bounce should be reviewable in the final minutes of the game. ND still needs to score there but it completely changes the trajectory of the game.
                    "Fvck Michigan" - The World

Comment

• I didn't watch so hard to comment, but looking at the box score, how is possible that Hubb has regressed this much?! While he was always mistake prone, he was at least a decent scoring threat. Another dismal shooting performance and shooting 14% on the year. WTF?! If he returns to just 12 ppg, that's an extra 7 points each of these contests and the difference maker.

Comment

• Thought Atkinson and Cormac Ryan played really well, FT at the end there notwithstanding.

St. Mary's is a scrappy, veteran team. I assume they'll be dancing in March, but they are frequently one of the teams you'll see on the bubble and they'll have a head to head W against us if we're trying to claw our way in. Pretty early for that talk, but still worth mentioning.

There isn't a true leader on this team, though, and I think that's what hurt us the most towards the end. Nate is practically non-existent offensively, Hub has a serious case of the yips right now and there's just no one to really trust down the stretch in the final minute.

Goodwin played so well in the first half then was practically non-existent in the 2nd. I hope he can be that guy. Loved that he was attacking the basket after his 18 point (all 3's) performance against High Point. Need that versatility out of him, but he can't disappear for an entire half like that.
                        My two favorite football teams: Notre Dame, and whoever's playing Michigan.

Comment

• Originally posted by NDPhilly View Post
                          Officiating the last 5 minutes was disgusting
                          Mike Brey has been disgusting for 20 years. He has to improve a lot just to be mediocre.

He is an incompetent who has sat on his hands while watching in state giant Butler get to two final fours, while he has to buy a ticket.

the smartest basketball coach on campus in Niele Ivey who helped her son escape to Purdue. That is a sharp momma, helping him choose the estimable Matt Painter over Brey.

Comment

• I guess no one bothered with the game last night. We lost to Texas A&M. Three games in three nights. They played 12 guys, we played 7. We had a 13 point lead early in the second half and fell apart.

Another coaching gem by Brey.

Comment

I guess no one bothered with the game last night. We lost to Texas A&M. Three games in three nights. They played 12 guys, we played 7. We had a 13 point lead early in the second half and fell apart.

Brey was too busy the game before giving all but 2 minutes to that same seven in a blowout 26 point win over Chaminade. Brilliant

Comment

• Seriously, A&M is not good. ND absolutely should have won that game.....honestly they could have snuck away with that tourney with a couple breaks. Brey is so stubborn with his rotation. This group of seniors is Brey's highest rated class, and they will never even sniff the tournament. It's really a shame. And Hubb's play right now is mind-boggling. He can't shoot...can't defend...and is a turnover machine.

Comment

I guess no one bothered with the game last night. We lost to Texas A&M. Three games in three nights. They played 12 guys, we played 7. We had a 13 point lead early in the second half and fell apart.

I actually watched the whole game unfortunately. Embarrassing lose. We completely unraveled. Hubb is just so inconsistent and erratic it’s unbelievable. He is shooting awful. He can’t even hit his FT and he’s a career 78% and I think he is around 50%. Disgusting. Laz looks nothing like last year. He had that junior bump and now he is having a senior slump??? That goes for Hubb too. Wertz looks absolutely lost on the court. He makes like one play per game then it’s just nothing. Ryan is the same he’s been. Gets you a couple big shots and plays and plays good D. Goodwin is stepping his game up this year and it’s nice to see. And Atkinson has been solid.

If it wasn’t for Wesley we would look like a D2 school. I don’t care who Brey takes out but Wesley needs to play all the time.

Im not gonna say I’m not gonna watch anymore cause obviously I will but I won’t be going out of my way to watch the games cause it’s just embarrassing to watch.

Comment

• Brey starting the first game with only a seven person rotation showed me that he wasn’t interested in actually improving the program in any way. He’s only interested in one last dance with the seniors to try and get them to the tourney. And it won’t work because the seniors are overrated. If he wanted any chance to get the tourney he needed to do something completely different and expand his rotation by developing his young guys with game reps. We won’t even make the NIT this year.
                                    Love Thee Notre Dame!

Comment

• Originally posted by BabyIrish View Post
                                      Brey starting the first game with only a seven person rotation showed me that he wasn’t interested in actually improving the program in any way. He’s only interested in one last dance with the seniors to try and get them to the tourney. And it won’t work because the seniors are overrated. If he wanted any chance to get the tourney he needed to do something completely different and expand his rotation by developing his young guys with game reps. We won’t even make the NIT this year.
                                      I don’t think we need to jump to that conclusion. A lot of bball yet to play.

It’s def not looking good right now but so many more games to play. I’m not giving up even tho I’m very close lol

Comment

• This team sucks ass

Comment

• Just finished the Aggie/ND game. Good first half, but the team looked gassed in the end. Hubb has to produce better. Lasz looked better. We need to get more people on the court.
                                          Running the damn ball since 2017.

Comment

• Originally posted by arrowryan View Post
                                            This team sucks ass
                                            lol this man gets it :). Also happy thanksgiving all

Comment

• Originally posted by drayer54 View Post
                                              Just finished the Aggie/ND game. Good first half, but the team looked gassed in the end. Hubb has to produce better. Lasz looked better. We need to get more people on the court.
                                              earth to Brey

Comment

• Bench Hubb, let Ryan or Goodwin run the offense.

Comment

• Originally posted by irishandy View Post
                                                  Bench Hubb, let Ryan or Goodwin run the offense.
                                                  Rather have Wesley handling the ball. He can create his own shot. Ryan and Goodwin can’t do that for the most part

Comment

• Originally posted by NDGOLDEN View Post

I don’t think we need to jump to that conclusion. A lot of bball yet to play.

It’s def not looking good right now but so many more games to play. I’m not giving up even tho I’m very close lol
                                                    In 2016, BK was set to be fired but no one better wanted the job and BK was set with resetting the program. And he did that by self evaluating and making the necessary changes to lead us to an unprecedented five years of ND football.

Supposedly the same thing happened to Brey last year. He was on the verge of being fired but was given another year to make the necessary changes for the future of the program. And outside of hiring Solomon back, no fucking changes have been made to this program. Not one.

He’s playing the same tired players who have never been able to sniff a .500 season in the ACC. So far this season Wesley has been our most consistent player. How many minutes did he play against A&M? 15. A measly 15 minutes while Hubb and Wertz who are playing worse got more minutes inexplicably.

It’s clear that Brey is more interested in himself by playing these four seniors who were supposed to be the best class ever recruited at ND then actually helping the program advance. He should be fired today after he gets off the plane back from Vegas. But Swarbick won’t because he has no guts to do what needs to be done. It’s going to be a train wreck of a season. There’s nothing in the first five games that has happened to make me change my mind.
                                                    Love Thee Notre Dame!

Comment

• So watching the game last night was a reminder of what it would be like to see Shaq in today's NBA lol.

Just throw it to the big fella and let him eat. It was child's play. And man... its time to bench Hubb. And they need to just focus the offense on Wesley and Goodwin.

Crazy to think that this was the best recruiting class in recent memory and they wont sniff the tourney....

Comment

• Originally posted by anarin View Post
                                                        So watching the game last night was a reminder of what it would be like to see Shaq in today's NBA lol.

Just throw it to the big fella and let him eat. It was child's play. And man... its time to bench Hubb. And they need to just focus the offense on Wesley and Goodwin.

Crazy to think that this was the best recruiting class in recent memory and they wont sniff the tourney....
                                                        Wesley was impressive - happy to walk away from that viewing experience with one ray of hope. That Illinois kid is a damn monster. Guessing Laz woke up in a cold sweat last night a few times reliving that in-the-paint experience. Hubb is just ooofff.

Is it too late to make Kelly take Brey with him?

Comment

• "Heres a coach I will have forever". Jack Swarbrick discussing his doppelganger Mike Excuses" Brey.

Comment

• Speaking of coaching changes...currently getting our asses handed to us by that Jesuit school in Chestnut Hill

Comment

• Can Marcus Freeman coach basketball?

Comment

• Brey's demeanor at halftime said it all. That's a coach who has had his times, but it's time to hang it up. This team has four star seniors all over the court...typically a recipe for a great run. I can't believe how bad they look.

Comment

• We are fucking awful. Embarrassing.

Comment

• Originally posted by MacIrish75 View Post
                                                                    We are fucking awful. Embarrassing.
                                                                    Smartest b asketball coach and best Mommy on campus is Niele Ivey.

She has a son, Jaden Ivey.

She plays for Matt Painter at Purdue.

She and he teamed up to not let her son be tainted with the fetid stench of Mike Brey.

Here is Jaden:

https://www.basketballnews.com/stori...2022-nba-draft

Had he come to Notre Dame, he would be another patsy in the MikeBreyenabler Blame the Players nonsense.

Way to go Niele!!

Comment

• Originally posted by BrownerandFry View Post

Smartest b asketball coach and best Mommy on campus is Niele Ivey.

She has a son, Jaden Ivey.

She plays for Matt Painter at Purdue.

She and he teamed up to not let her son be tainted with the fetid stench of Mike Brey.

Here is Jaden:

https://www.basketballnews.com/stori...2022-nba-draft

Had he come to Notre Dame, he would be another patsy in the MikeBreyenabler Blame the Players nonsense.

Way to go Niele!!
                                                                      Maybe the most rational and and most coherent post you’ve made. Kudos.

Comment

• Can MFMF coach MBB

Comment

• Sorry Lax I shoulda scrolled up

Comment

• Originally posted by anarin View Post
                                                                            So watching the game last night was a reminder of what it would be like to see Shaq in today's NBA lol.

Brey has had ;more five year plans than Nikita Kruschev.

He has seven players, 7, who are seniors or graduate students.

Comment

• BC was 15th in the 15 team ACC pre season poll. I'll admit they aren't that bad. We now know who will be the 15th in the 15 team lead.

We looked good, except for shooting, rebounding and defending.

Comment

• Maybe Freeman can take over the basketball team too. This is pathetic. BC isn’t even that good.

Comment

• This game wasn't even fun to watch.

My wife and I are going to the Kentucky game next weekend...hopefully Freeman speaks at that game, that's the only reason I want to go.

Comment

• Advanced trolling here.

Comment

• How much longer does Brey last? This is getting ridiculous. Why not name him HC for Life if their willing to put up w/ this underachievement on a yearly basis?

Comment

• Originally posted by Irishize View Post
                                                                                        How much longer does Brey last? This is getting ridiculous. Why not name him HC for Life if their willing to put up w/ this underachievement on a yearly basis?
                                                                                        He should have been fired on the way back from Maui. I said it then and I meant it. It wasn’t sarcasm. It was so obvious then that this was going to be a terrible season because Brey made zero changes to the program. Just move on to Solomon now if that’s the current plan for next year.
                                                                                        Love Thee Notre Dame!

Comment

• Originally posted by BabyIrish View Post

He should have been fired on the way back from Maui. I said it then and I meant it. It wasn’t sarcasm. It was so obvious then that this was going to be a terrible season because Brey made zero changes to the program. Just move on to Solomon now if that’s the current plan for next year.
                                                                                          This is the truth. That team vs BC was the worst basketball I’ve seen in the 1st half.
                                                                                          And I’ve said that plenty of times before. They just keep getting worse. Time to step down, now, Brey.

Comment

• I agree with everything here. To be more specific. How can Nick L play 30 minutes and ale 4 shots. 4 years ago I thought he’d be a star averaging 20+ PPG by now. And Hubb can’t hit the broad side of a barn in most games. Goodwin seems to be the only one from that class that is a consistent contributor.

Comment

• I literally don't know how somebody becomes worse at shooting.

I really don't know how an entire team does it.

Whatever Brey did over the off season...he needs to do the complete opposite of it.
                                                                                              "Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

Comment

• Thank God the 2022 kids all signed last month.

Comment

• Originally posted by clashmore_mike View Post
                                                                                                  Thank God the 2022 kids all signed last month.
                                                                                                  This is why they need to make the change now or immediately after the season. The next coach will have a decent roster to work with for a likely build back to relevancy.

Comment

• Wow! Wesley hits a game winner with than 10 seconds left to knock off #10 Kentucky

Comment

• Big win for Marcus Freeman.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X