• Show
Clear All

• 2021-2022 Notre Dame Men's Basketball

One last ride with Mike Brey on deck...

Mike's contract expires soon, right?

Comment

Originally posted by ColinKSU View Post
      Mike's contract expires soon, right?
      Not for like 5 years and there is a big buyout to fire him.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishLion View Post
        One last ride with Mike Brey on deck...

Bummer, put me down for a big swing and a miss on this one.

Comment

Well, I really like the players that he's expected to have back. Let's hope they can collectively produce A LOT more than what they have so far. Would be a massive failure if this team isn't an NCAA tourney competitive bunch next season.

Comment

If you thought they were going to get rid of him you are crazy.
            Brotherhood may fade, but it will never run

Comment

The team will be good next year and probably has Sweet 16 talent. It's after next year that is scary.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishLax View Post

Not for like 5 years and there is a big buyout to fire him.
                Considering Mike has completely given up on recruiting, this program is in for some extremely rough waters after it’s current extremely disappointing upperclassmen graduate.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinKSU View Post

Considering Mike has completely given up on recruiting, this program is in for some extremely rough waters after it’s current extremely disappointing upperclassmen graduate.
                  On the plus side there will be plenty of room for 1 or 2 year transfers! Those always work out seamlessly.

Comment

Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
                    Well, I really like the players that he's expected to have back. Let's hope they can collectively produce A LOT more than what they have so far. Would be a massive failure if this team isn't an NCAA tourney competitive bunch next season.
                    Just enough talent to have a decent season, which will in turn have Brey staying on again and back to the same results. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by notredomer23 View Post
                      The team will be good next year and probably has Sweet 16 talent. It's after next year that is scary.
                      To me this team didn't look anywhere close to a sweet 16 talent wise. I don't expect them to make that kind of jump at all next year. The ceiling for me is lucky to make the tourney.
                      Love Thee Notre Dame!

Comment

Was there really anyone out there that ND could've gone after? Would be nice to see Brey get back to recruiting. I am still not sold on the senior to be class.

Comment

Originally posted by irishandy View Post
                          Was there really anyone out there that ND could've gone after? Would be nice to see Brey get back to recruiting. I am still not sold on the senior to be class.
                          Moser would have been my choice.

Comment

I agree with you here. I'm not sure how anyone can expect such a vast improvement next year when the returns the past three years from these upperclassmen suggest otherwise.

We just got DESTROYED by a mediocre UNC team in the ACC tournament. I don't see any additions to the lineup next year to change our outlook either.
                            My two favorite football teams: Notre Dame, and whoever's playing Michigan.

Comment

Listened to the Sam Vecenie Game Theory podcast today, where they reviewed NBA potential prospects from each team in the NCAA tournament. He talked about Jaden Ivey at Purdue, and I just got all sorts of sad...

Comment

It's that the team played with NO passion, NO toughness and if the 3 ball wasn't hitting, there was absolutely nothing.....the rebounding sucks and we have got to be one of the least athletic teams in the nation.....
                                EMPTY SPACE WAITING FOR THE NEXT HOT TAKE

Comment

Brey did us a favor by coming back one more year. Next season Brad Stevens will have his fill of the NBA and IU will already have a coach. Brey steps down and Stevens steps in. Don't wake me up yet. A guy can dream once in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by BabyIrish View Post

To me this team didn't look anywhere close to a sweet 16 talent wise. I don't expect them to make that kind of jump at all next year. The ceiling for me is lucky to make the tourney.
                                    They return everyone besides maybe Durham and Diogo and add the Ivy League player of the year. They’re going to be much better next year and should be a force in the ACC. Again, it’s not next year that’s the issue. I’d rather be good 3-5 years from now than let Brey get one more year. With Brey running things there won’t even be enough scholarship players after next year.

Comment

They return everyone besides maybe Durham and Diogo and add the Ivy League player of the year. They’re going to be much better next year and should be a force in the ACC. Again, it’s not next year that’s the issue. I’d rather be good 3-5 years from now than let Brey get one more year. With Brey running things there won’t even be enough scholarship players after next year.
                                      How do you figure we'll be better? Durham and Djogo are not "maybe" leaving, they have stated they are leaving. Brey is staying. How do we get better? Hubb, et al have been around for 3 years and haven't improved jack diddly squat. Suddenly Brey starts coaching defense and rebounding? A pipe dream.

Comment

Get better? A force? What in the last three years makes you think that. I haven’t seen one ounce of hope for that type of improvement. Heck the only person in the last four years I saw make an improvement was Mooney. I expected much more improvement from Gibbs and Pflueger.

To be a force next year they’d have to play like the 15/16 teams.

You’d need:

Hubb to be like DJ- not happening
                                        Goodwin to be like Vastuaria- not happening
                                        Cormac to be like Grant/Beachem- not happening
                                        Laz to be like Connaughton/Collin- not likely
                                        And Mr. Ivy League to be like Auguste- Very possible

Again from my perspective we will be lucky to make the tourney next year.
                                        Love Thee Notre Dame!

Comment

I watched Purdue and Ivey is going to be very good. They asked Painter how he managed to get him right from under Brey’s nose. Said he just came to every one of his games.

Comment

Originally posted by stpeteirish View Post

How do you figure we'll be better? Durham and Djogo are not "maybe" leaving, they have stated they are leaving. Brey is staying. How do we get better? Hubb, et al have been around for 3 years and haven't improved jack diddly squat. Suddenly Brey starts coaching defense and rebounding? A pipe dream.
                                            Not saying they haven’t improved is disingenuous and you know it. In 2019-2020 the first half Nate was a liability. Dane could do all the hard stuff but not the easy things like defend and make a layup. Hubb is still a turnover machine but obviously has loads of talent. Of course there was going to be a regression this year, they lost an All-ACC player. If you don’t think the core of Hubb, Goodwin, Wertz, Nate, Ryan, and then replacing Durham with a guy who averaged 18 and 7 a year ago and was the Ivy League player of the year isn’t going to be a pretty big improvement from this year you’re letting your negative opinions of Brey cloud the reality of what is going to happen.

ultimately, I don’t think we’re really that much in disagreement though. One good year doesn’t excuse the previous 4, and it certainly doesn’t excuse what’s going to come after next year.

Comment

Not saying they haven’t improved is disingenuous and you know it. In 2019-2020 the first half Nate was a liability. Dane could do all the hard stuff but not the easy things like defend and make a layup. Hubb is still a turnover machine but obviously has loads of talent. Of course there was going to be a regression this year, they lost an All-ACC player. If you don’t think the core of Hubb, Goodwin, Wertz, Nate, Ryan, and then replacing Durham with a guy who averaged 18 and 7 a year ago and was the Ivy League player of the year isn’t going to be a pretty big improvement from this year you’re letting your negative opinions of Brey cloud the reality of what is going to happen.

ultimately, I don’t think we’re really that much in disagreement though. One good year doesn’t excuse the previous 4, and it certainly doesn’t excuse what’s going to come after next year.
                                              disingenuous? I think not. Nate is still a liability Dane can still not defend (the easy things?) and Hubb is still the same maddingly inconsistent underachiever he's always been. My negative opinion of Brey ain't clouding nuthin; he's done a bad job developing players lately and to think that's suddenly going to change isn't realistic. I expect Wertz and Ryan to flat line at the mediocre level they're at now.

The biggest disconnect here may be Atkinson vs Durham. How will Atkinson's Ivy league #'s convert to the ACC? He'll rebound better (not a major feat) but will he be able to score inside? Brey thinks so but Brey always overrates his players. Durham could score and block shots. I doubt if Atkinson will be any better overall than Durham was. We'll see. I haven't seen one minute of Atkinson's play.

Comment

Have they improved since freshman year? Sure
                                                Have they improved enough to be competitive in the last three years? No
                                                They would have to make an astronomical improvement over the offseason to be a force next year. And nothing over the last three years gives me May confidence that they will.
                                                Love Thee Notre Dame!

Comment

Originally posted by Irish#1 View Post
                                                  I watched Purdue and Ivey is going to be very good. They asked Painter how he managed to get him right from under Brey’s nose. Said he just came to every one of his games.
                                                  Did Brey even recruit him at all?

Comment

Did Brey even recruit him at all?
                                                    Jaden wanted out of South Bend. Most kids want to go away for college. Matt Freeman at ISD has repeatedly said that the Jaden Ivey recruitment wasn't on Brey.

Comment

Comment

Trying to link the JR Konieczny dunk he tweeted out the other night.

Last edited by clashmore_mike; 04-03-2021, 09:10 AM.
                                                        "Fvck Michigan" - The World

Comment

• clashmore_mike
                                                          clashmore_mike commented
                                                          Editing a comment
                                                          Fixed it for you, use the Twitter button on the reply box and paste the full tweet url between the tags that are inserted.

Brey told 247 sports yesterday he is looking for a "defensive" coach. Bout time Mike.

Step in the right direction tho. Scott martin apparently goes back to Video Guy or whatever he was before they had to can Ayers;.

Comment

Originally posted by stpeteirish View Post
                                                          Brey told 247 sports yesterday he is looking for a "defensive" coach. Bout time Mike.

Step in the right direction tho. Scott martin apparently goes back to Video Guy or whatever he was before they had to can Ayers;.
                                                          Was that from the article Prister had yesterday? I have that saved to read but haven't gotten to it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by clashmore_mike View Post

Was that from the article Prister had yesterday? I have that saved to read but haven't gotten to it yet.
                                                            yep. there's a lot in there. Brey is talking the talk anyhow.

Comment

Looks like Anthony Solomon is coming back to ND as an associate head coach. He was a huge huge part in the back to back elite eight runs. This is a massive pickup by brey

Comment

Originally posted by NDGOLDEN View Post
                                                                Looks like Anthony Solomon is coming back to ND as an associate head coach. He was a huge huge part in the back to back elite eight runs. This is a massive pickup by brey
                                                                He was at Dayton as an associate HC correct? Very good to have him back in the fold.

Comment

Is this going to be Brey heir apparent? I was thinking about this the other day. It seems like it's a forgone conclusion this is Brey's last year. He wants to coach these Seniors through the program and probably thinks he's got a really good squad. But, they should probably have someone in mind or in place for continuity sake. Could this be that?

Comment

Originally posted by Luckylucci View Post
                                                                    Is this going to be Brey heir apparent? I was thinking about this the other day. It seems like it's a forgone conclusion this is Brey's last year. He wants to coach these Seniors through the program and probably thinks he's got a really good squad. But, they should probably have someone in mind or in place for continuity sake. Could this be that?
                                                                    Eh, depending on how next year goes I'm not sure continuity is what will be needed. Solomon was huge in the success 5 years ago and if he can help right the ship next season then sure he'd be a candidate worth looking in to. If 2021-22 follows the recent trend it might be time for a complete change of regime.

Comment

Originally posted by clashmore_mike View Post

Eh, depending on how next year goes I'm not sure continuity is what will be needed. Solomon was huge in the success 5 years ago and if he can help right the ship next season then sure he'd be a candidate worth looking in to. If 2021-22 follows the recent trend it might be time for a complete change of regime.
                                                                      Wouldn't it be a fairly surprising move if he was making this change to come back if it was only for 1 season? Seems like there must be a conversation that was had, that would assure he wasn't looking for another job after this coming season, right?

Comment

Better news than I expected to walk in to as I entered this thread with great trepidation.

Shot at an ACC head coaching gig if you bring this back to remotely respectable? Seems like a one year gamble worth taking for a mid-major assistant to the head coach. Shows an entirely predictable lack of inspiration on Brey's part to run back to the last thing that worked.

Comment

Adsense

Collapse
                                                                        Working...
                                                                        X